General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving on from Infinit Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-02 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Moving on from Infinit Nutrition

For the 3rd year in a row, they have screwed up their sale.  Just wasted 2 precious hours of my limited life trying to get through their horrible servers.

Does anyone have another nutrition with protein that they can suggest? 

2014-12-02 12:47 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Moving on from Infinit Nutrition
Nutrition with Protein? Legumes, meats...uh. I mean there are lots of protein mixes out there, Hammer comes to mind, they have a Whey Protein mix. But don't you mean carbs and electrolytes? That's what comes to mind with Infinit as well. Perpeteum from Hammer is a gold standard, and there's many others depending on how you like them. CarboPro is a maltodextrin carb source, Salt Stick makes a great capsule for electrolytes, on and on.
2014-12-02 12:54 PM

User image

3 years, hasn't it been every year?  they've extended it all day.   i'll try again but it's frustrating

2014-12-02 12:56 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Champion

Originally posted by fisherman76 Nutrition with Protein? Legumes, meats...uh. I mean there are lots of protein mixes out there, Hammer comes to mind, they have a Whey Protein mix. But don't you mean carbs and electrolytes? That's what comes to mind with Infinit as well. Perpeteum from Hammer is a gold standard, and there's many others depending on how you like them. CarboPro is a maltodextrin carb source, Salt Stick makes a great capsule for electrolytes, on and on.

I mean with some protein.  For longer events, (4 hours+) I find that it staves off the hunger.

2014-12-02 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
This year I'm going to start making my own. I bought 10lbs of malto from my local homebrew store for next to nothing. I'll add in salt, flavoring and some protein powder at a fraction of the cost. I like Infinit, but it's too hard to justify the price given you can get this stuff so cheaply elsewhere.
2014-12-02 1:08 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Champion

Originally posted by cnsegura This year I'm going to start making my own. I bought 10lbs of malto from my local homebrew store for next to nothing. I'll add in salt, flavoring and some protein powder at a fraction of the cost. I like Infinit, but it's too hard to justify the price given you can get this stuff so cheaply elsewhere.

How stable will the protein powder be?  And what type of flavoring?

2014-12-02 1:17 PM

User image

Champion

I just found out that EFS is about 1/2 the price of Infinit.  Then I could add a little whey protein.  Voila!

2014-12-02 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by pga_mike

Originally posted by cnsegura This year I'm going to start making my own. I bought 10lbs of malto from my local homebrew store for next to nothing. I'll add in salt, flavoring and some protein powder at a fraction of the cost. I like Infinit, but it's too hard to justify the price given you can get this stuff so cheaply elsewhere.

What do you mean by stability?

As far as flavorings go, I've seen several suggestions from unsweetened Kool Aid, Crystal Light, Chocolate powder etc. My Infinit mix was flavored fruit punch so I could use Kool Aid for that.

I have found that I really prefer bland flavors through in training. I will likely just start off experimenting with different blends of malto, protein and try unflavored first.
2014-12-02 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by fisherman76 Nutrition with Protein? Legumes, meats...uh. I mean there are lots of protein mixes out there, Hammer comes to mind, they have a Whey Protein mix. But don't you mean carbs and electrolytes? That's what comes to mind with Infinit as well. Perpeteum from Hammer is a gold standard, and there's many others depending on how you like them. CarboPro is a maltodextrin carb source, Salt Stick makes a great capsule for electrolytes, on and on.

I mean with some protein.  For longer events, (4 hours+) I find that it staves off the hunger.

if its just for stuff longer than 4 hours i'd just eat something small with some protien in it around 50%-75% through the "event" like a bonk breaker or something. for super long bike workouts or bike/run workout's i'll have half to a whole Lenny and Larry Cookie. 

2014-12-02 1:41 PM

User image

, Illinois
Originally posted by cnsegura

This year I'm going to start making my own. I bought 10lbs of malto from my local homebrew store for next to nothing. I'll add in salt, flavoring and some protein powder at a fraction of the cost. I like Infinit, but it's too hard to justify the price given you can get this stuff so cheaply elsewhere.

After switching to matlo and finding out how cheap it is I've thought about doing the same but I have no clue where to start. Would you mind sharing your initial reicpe? I'm sure everyone will have a little different preferences but I don't know what a good ballpark proportion of each would be to get a good starting point.
2014-12-02 2:11 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by cnsegura

What do you mean by stability? As far as flavorings go, I've seen several suggestions from unsweetened Kool Aid, Crystal Light, Chocolate powder etc. My Infinit mix was flavored fruit punch so I could use Kool Aid for that. I have found that I really prefer bland flavors through in training. I will likely just start off experimenting with different blends of malto, protein and try unflavored first.

The stability that I was referring to is the tendency of protein to curdle when it has water added.  Perpetuem would curdle after a couple of hours at room temperature.

2014-12-02 2:12 PM
in reply to: ec1974

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by ec1974

After switching to matlo and finding out how cheap it is I've thought about doing the same but I have no clue where to start. Would you mind sharing your initial reicpe? I'm sure everyone will have a little different preferences but I don't know what a good ballpark proportion of each would be to get a good starting point.

I haven't made it yet, so no recipe to share. My plan was to try to mimic my Infinit nutritional label as a start. I am pretty happy with ~300Cal/hr on the bike. I plan on starting there to calculate how many grams of Malto / serving I need, then add in the right mix/qty of electrolytes/salt. This thread has a bunch of recipe's and good info:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving on from Infinit Nutrition Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Infinit Nutrition

Started by Booj
Views: 1326 Posts: 13

2008-08-26 12:56 PM Booj

June Infinit Nutrition Raffle WINNERS!

Started by Ron
Views: 633 Posts: 1

2008-07-08 9:33 AM Ron

Infinit Nutrition foaming?

Started by perrce
Views: 1448 Posts: 8

2008-06-24 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

When to Start Nutrition(Infinit) on Training Ride?

Started by CKinsey
Views: 970 Posts: 16

2008-05-20 8:03 PM MissKelly

Infinit Nutrition - Amazing product & Customer Service!

Started by AbbieR
Views: 1410 Posts: 14

2007-10-23 11:46 AM Infinit2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.
date : April 14, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 3
So what is behind the Infinit line of custom nutrition products? We took a trip to the Infinit world headquarters and conducted an in-depth review of the Infinit Nutrition product.