Other Resources The Political Joe » Hungry ambassador Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-03 12:55 AM

Subject: Hungry ambassador
It's all good she was not appointed because she raised money for him......nope she produces The Bold and Beautiful
not sure what else to say abuot this one

2014-12-03 10:15 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Hungry ambassador

Originally posted by Puppetmaster It's all good she was not appointed because she raised money for him......nope she produces The Bold and Beautiful not sure what else to say abuot this one

The more things "hope and change" the more they stay the same.  This appointee should be sent Iceland or some Caribbean nation.  I fear Hungry, along with most of Eastern Europe, will play an important strategic role in the reignited cold war with Russia. 

2014-12-03 1:06 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
We're talking about "Hungary" right?

I'm not really defending it, because it's ridiculous on its face to put a person with her background into a role like that. The only thing I will say about it (aside from the obligatory, "every other president has done the exact same thing" comment) is to point out that given the current political landscape, the role of the Ambassador to anywhere is almost completely symbolic.

Now that technology allows the President, Secretary of State, or any other diplomat in the US government to reach their counterpart in any other government almost instantly, wherever either of them are in the world, the role of the Ambassador is dramatically reduced in importance. Having a person who physically represents the US government in another nation's capital has far less significance in a formal diplomatic sense than it used to have, and nowadays is really more like a cultural attache.
2014-12-03 1:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

It only takes $2.1 million of fundraising to qualify as an ambassador? Count me in....Ambassador Jackemy......I kind of like the sound of that.

Edited by Jackemy1 2014-12-03 1:59 PM
2014-12-03 2:10 PM

Yup, sorry about the spelling
2014-12-04 12:06 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

If she is, she should get something to eat before she gets Hangry!

2014-12-05 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn We're talking about "Hungary" right? I'm not really defending it, because it's ridiculous on its face to put a person with her background into a role like that. The only thing I will say about it (aside from the obligatory, "every other president has done the exact same thing" comment) is to point out that given the current political landscape, the role of the Ambassador to anywhere is almost completely symbolic. Now that technology allows the President, Secretary of State, or any other diplomat in the US government to reach their counterpart in any other government almost instantly, wherever either of them are in the world, the role of the Ambassador is dramatically reduced in importance. Having a person who physically represents the US government in another nation's capital has far less significance in a formal diplomatic sense than it used to have, and nowadays is really more like a cultural attache.

I just think of the staff at the Embassy.  Lifelong careers with high power degrees specializing in international relations and here comes the new boss...  /smh

Agree with your point though jmk.  It's all symbolic these days.

2014-12-05 10:49 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

If the job is so symbolic that anyone can do it, then eliminate the position.  Stop spending money on ambassadors and embassies and install a kiosk with a State Department employee available on a screen to deal with what ever it is that remains necessary.  If big donors want to staff the kiosk, then fine.

2014-12-08 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Hook'em

If the job is so symbolic that anyone can do it, then eliminate the position.  Stop spending money on ambassadors and embassies and install a kiosk with a State Department employee available on a screen to deal with what ever it is that remains necessary.  If big donors want to staff the kiosk, then fine.

I guess I look at it as the ambassador is manager and a salesman. They might not make the policy but they have to sell it. If there is an issue they are your go too contact. They also will help you out if your visiting the country and having an issue with the local government. Other interesting thing is you can appoint anyone you want but that country has to say approve to that person. If Hungary does not like that person they can have them removed at anytime.
2014-12-08 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Yeah, I probably overshot the mark when I said it was symbolic. I guess what I meant was that the person doesn't have to be a diplomat anymore, so you don't need the level of foreign policy experience that was once needed.
2014-12-08 1:39 PM

User image

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Yeah, I probably overshot the mark when I said it was symbolic. I guess what I meant was that the person doesn't have to be a diplomat anymore, so you don't need the level of foreign policy experience that was once needed.

i was only half joking.

2014-12-20 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I think that Obama should continue in this vein and appoint Seth Rogen as ambassador to S. Korea.

2014-12-21 2:23 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by SevenZulu

I think that Obama should continue in this vein and appoint Seth Rogen as ambassador to S. Korea.

I think Dennis Rodman has the inside track on that gig.
2014-12-22 5:30 AM

New user
Key West
This really isn't news, as someone else said, Presidents have been doing this since almost the beginning of when we had ambassadors. It is all about political patronage and pay back. I would say that there are some countries where Presidents have been more mindful about who they select, but Hungary doesn't qualify for the special status. Career diplomats know this comes with the territory, and they do the real work and the appointee generally knows and respects that. Do I think it is how it should be done, not really, but it is the way it is done.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Hungry ambassador Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?

date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.
date : April 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
comments : 7
There are tons of great diets out there for people who eat meat, but I can’t find anything for vegetarians. I also find that when I eat healthy, I am hungry all the time.