General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Introducing MaximumTrainer and Question/Bug Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-01-12 7:05 AM
in reply to: Jdheidenreich

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: 2 questions

Originally posted by Jdheidenreich 1. I feel dumb asking...but how do I change speed from kilometers per hour to miles per hour? I feel like I've looked all over in the program and still can't find it. 2. What is the best way to set my trainer up for a trainer power curve? I already have my "power" set up in the "gear" section for my kirk kinetic trainer, but I'm wondering how tightly I crank down on my wheel with my trainer. I'm pretty new to using a trainer, so any suggestions would be great. I'd imagine that to keep my workouts reliable, I need to set my trainer up with the same tension on the wheel everytime I use the program, right? Thanks, Jeremy

1. Max will reply on this one.
  2. For the KK fluid trainer, its been stated that a spindown check should be done to gauge you have the correct tension setting.  It's been posted on BT before that when the fluid resistance unit is warmed up that a spindown from 20mph to 0 mph should take 13.8 seconds to match the published curve.
  3. So here's what I do:
    1. Pump up my tire to ~105psi (using Conti trainer tire)
    2. Set tension to ~4.5 half turns (I leave my tension set when the bike is left on the trainer so its ready to go for the next round)
    3. With a cold unit, I spin up to 20mph stop pedaling then time how long it takes for the wheel to stop.  Cold it will be about ~12 seconds. (I do this before starting the MT workout)
    4. Start th MT workout and do a warm-up period of 10-15 minutes then repeat the spindown check, it should then take ~2 seconds longer (14 sec).

2015-01-12 10:26 AM

User image

Québec, Quebec
Subject: RE: 2 questions
Originally posted by Jdheidenreich

1. I feel dumb asking...but how do I change speed from kilometers per hour to miles per hour? I feel like I've looked all over in the program and still can't find it.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Thanks Donto for the nice detailed response!
For the speed option in MPH, stop looking, it's not there yet it will be live in the next release (in the MaximumTrainer/Preference menu)
Have a great day!
Max
2015-01-17 10:17 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Master
North Alabama
Subject: RE: Introducing MaximumTrainer and Question/Bug Thread
You say it has the existing BT winter cycling plan built in, is it possible to add/build/import another training plan into the software to choose from when jumping on?

I'm currently using a different plan, but I wouldn't have any issues carrying it over into this program and carrying on with it.

Thanks.
2015-01-18 10:41 AM
in reply to: LostSheep

User image

Québec, Quebec
Originally posted by LostSheep

You say it has the existing BT winter cycling plan built in, is it possible to add/build/import another training plan into the software to choose from when jumping on?

I'm currently using a different plan, but I wouldn't have any issues carrying it over into this program and carrying on with it.

Thanks.

Hi,
Currently it has only the BT winter cycling plan built in. You could create the whole plan yourself using the workout editor. It takes some work, but once created, you could share this plan with anyone just by sending the zip file of the workouts.

Good training!
Max
2015-01-18 3:36 PM
in reply to: LostSheep

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by LostSheep You say it has the existing BT winter cycling plan built in, is it possible to add/build/import another training plan into the software to choose from when jumping on? I'm currently using a different plan, but I wouldn't have any issues carrying it over into this program and carrying on with it. Thanks.
Like Max said you can build the plan yourself.  I made a 13 week plan that I'm currently using.  Use the WO editors to build each workout then you can create a plan folder to put them in.

Here's were MT looks for the workouts on my PC:

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (13KB - 11 downloads)
2015-01-18 9:31 PM
in reply to: MaximumTrainer

Subject: latest update
I updated today and miles per hour was there under preferences. Thanks!!!

And thank you for the advice on the kirk Kinetic trainer and getting things set. The software is working great!!!

Jeremy

2015-01-20 8:14 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Ok, I'm very new to cycling in general and just got my first trainer. I have a Garmin 310XT with HR and cadence sensors. So, this may be a very dumb question but whenever I use the program, the power indicator stays at zero and I am just kind of cycling blind if you will. Do I need to have the speed sensor to fully use the program or am I missing something?? I see my HR and cadence graphs but I don't think I'm trying to keep either one in the bound gray area... Thanks in advance for the help.
2015-01-20 8:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by lanzodt Ok, I'm very new to cycling in general and just got my first trainer. I have a Garmin 310XT with HR and cadence sensors. So, this may be a very dumb question but whenever I use the program, the power indicator stays at zero and I am just kind of cycling blind if you will. Do I need to have the speed sensor to fully use the program or am I missing something?? I see my HR and cadence graphs but I don't think I'm trying to keep either one in the bound gray area... Thanks in advance for the help.
Yes you need a speed sensor as the resistance curve is MPH vs Watts. For example the KK fluid trainer:

Edited by Donto 2015-01-20 9:00 AM
2015-01-30 11:20 PM
in reply to: #5071796

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Max,
Could you add an "end" button if one needs to finish a WO early. I needed to end a WO early by 5' today and I just let it run to the end without and action. You can see what I did in my log.
2015-01-31 8:43 AM

User image

Québec, Quebec
Hey Donto,
For that, you can just leave the workout before the end and it will ask: "Workout is not completed, Save your Progress?" Click "Yes" so that it save to a tcx file the progress you just did did.
2015-01-31 4:21 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Thanks Max, good to know!

2015-02-23 2:58 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Max,

Could you add a conversion for the weight also, pounds or kg.  I had to pull out the calculator to figure out what my kg is!  Likely anyone doing miles is also going to want pounds.

2015-02-24 12:11 PM

Carmel, New York
Hi. I've been using Max Trainer and it's been working great, but I had my first issue today... unfortunately it was while I was doing a benchmark bike test workout. It was during the third interval - the power recording was very spotty and both the power and speed numbers are all over the place. It was a five minute at max effort interval. Here's the metrics that I've tried to paste from Garmin connect. Is there a way to recover the data? I can send the data file if that would help.

spd:avg avg mov max HRavg max CAD PRRavg max
1 10:00 13.1 15.6 14.3 79 114 66 74 94 130
2 8:00 15.5 21.3 17.9 135 153 79 90 112 201
3 5:00 20.8 35.9 23.7 176 182 85 96 166 372
4 10:00 13.1 13.6 21.0 141 181 72 85 108 299
5 20:00 19.1 19.5 20.6 173 180 87 93 229 271
6 5:00 11.5 11.6 19.0 139 170 70 87 88 237

2015-02-24 1:00 PM

User image

Québec, Quebec
Originally posted by Donto

Max,

Could you add a conversion for the weight also, pounds or kg.  I had to pull out the calculator to figure out what my kg is!  Likely anyone doing miles is also going to want pounds.

Sure I always forget people still not using the metric system, will put it in the next version that is coming soon with some new features!

Originally posted by revbmac

Hi. I've been using Max Trainer and it's been working great, but I had my first issue today... unfortunately it was while I was doing a benchmark bike test workout. It was during the third interval - the power recording was very spotty and both the power and speed numbers are all over the place. It was a five minute at max effort interval. Here's the metrics that I've tried to paste from Garmin connect. Is there a way to recover the data? I can send the data file if that would help.

Hey there, are you using a "power curve" with a speed sensor or a Power meter? From what you wrote, it seems like a power curve issue. If something happens to the speed sensor (sensor moved on wheel, battery low, ..) it can cause this kind of behavior. Keep it mind the speed shown inside MaximumTrainer is exactly what the sensor sends so I would double check your sensor positioning/battery for future rides. If the speed is wrong then the Power will also be wrong since it's calculated with speed.

Let me know if you're still having issues! "[email protected]"
2015-03-11 12:53 PM

Subject: netflix and maximum trainer
When I try to watch Netflix through max trainer, I receive an error that I need to upgrade my browser. I've checked Mozilla and I'm updated. Netflix works through my regular internet explorer or regular firefox, Netflix works.

Am I missing something or forgetting something?

Thanks,

Jeremy
2015-03-11 1:11 PM

User image

Québec, Quebec
Subject: RE: netflix and maximum trainer
Hey Jeremy,

Try to install "FP 16 for Firefox - NPAPI" as shown here :
https://maximumtrainer.com/support#cant-watch-video
if you haven't done that already.
I'll try to find a free Netflix account in order to test & debug it, let me know if you know how to get one, I'm in Canada.
Thanks and hopefully we can fix that later!
Max

2015-03-12 11:10 AM

User image

Québec, Quebec
Originally posted by Jdheidenreich

When I try to watch Netflix through max trainer, I receive an error that I need to upgrade my browser. I've checked Mozilla and I'm updated. Netflix works through my regular internet explorer or regular firefox, Netflix works.

Am I missing something or forgetting something?

Thanks,

Jeremy

After further testing, Netflix is using Microsoft Silverlight, and this is not yet supported inside the browser used inside MaximumTrainer.
Trying to find an alternative solution at the moment, will keep you updated, thanks!
2015-03-20 8:49 AM

User image

Québec, Quebec
Ok ignore my last message on Netflix, here is the problem.

The browser in MT is using "Chromium" (Free Software), so it does not have any Digital Restrictive Management support, which Netflix requires.
Related post to try to fix the issue later :
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/172364/netflix-works-on-chr...
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/190762/chromium-enabling-wi...

So as of right now, Netflix is not yet supported inside MaximumTrainer.
Thanks
2015-03-21 12:22 PM
in reply to: #5089070

Thanks for checking this out. Even without Netflix support, I love the software. The youtube pause feature when you stop peddling that you added in a recent update is great. Thanks for all the hard work..

Jeremy
2015-04-07 7:39 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Subject: RE: Speed Sensor
I just rode yesterday after updating MT, my speed sensor was not showing up in the workout. I know the sensor was working because I was able to delete and pair it again in the "Gear" section of MT but either the sensor wouldn't send speed data or MT wouldn't receive speed data for my workout.
2015-04-07 7:41 AM
in reply to: lanzodt

User image

Québec, Quebec
Originally posted by lanzodt

I just rode yesterday after updating MT, my speed sensor was not showing up in the workout. I know the sensor was working because I was able to delete and pair it again in the "Gear" section of MT but either the sensor wouldn't send speed data or MT wouldn't receive speed data for my workout.

Hey there,
Could you try the version that is now online (1.29a) An error slipped in the 1.29 version, should be good now!
Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience,
Max

2015-04-07 7:49 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Originally posted by MaximumTrainer

Originally posted by lanzodt

Hey there,
Could you try the version that is now online (1.29a) An error slipped in the 1.29 version, should be good now!
Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience,
Max

Will try tomorrow and let you know but I'm sure it's good if you are already tracking. Thanks for the quick response!
2015-04-07 9:07 PM

Carmel, New York
For some reason my workouts don't seem to be saving on this current version. I can create a workout, it looks like it saves when I hit the save button, but if I hit the refresh button or if I exit the program it disappears on me. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
2015-04-07 9:07 PM

Carmel, New York
For some reason my workouts don't seem to be saving on this current version. I can create a workout, it looks like it saves when I hit the save button, but if I hit the refresh button or if I exit the program it disappears on me. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
2015-04-08 9:00 AM
in reply to: revbmac

User image

Québec, Quebec
Originally posted by revbmac

Hey there, nothing you are doing wrong The version 1.29 got this problem where it save the workout in the wrong directory.
If you have time to update to 1.29a, it's already on the website and fixed that problem. Will probably force the next update so everyone get the bug fixed.
Thanks!
Max
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Introducing MaximumTrainer and Question/Bug Thread Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Avoiding hijacking Trainerroad Thread, but do have a question

Started by TTom
Views: 927 Posts: 5

2013-07-27 7:15 AM ligersandtions

Arrrg, got bit by the cycling bug! This is worse than the jeep bug!

Started by MikeK_PA
Views: 1494 Posts: 6

2012-10-01 2:43 PM sand101

Another swim thread question

Started by GoFaster
Views: 680 Posts: 3

2009-10-23 9:45 AM tjfry

Spin off from Indoor trainer thread / question

Started by Pector55
Views: 729 Posts: 3

2009-10-16 9:48 AM breckview

forum thread questions

Started by joellee
Views: 1123 Posts: 3

2008-11-02 1:36 PM joellee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.