Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-03 6:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Subject: Fitness trackers!
Anyone using them?
Let's have a discussion!

I have been looking over all of the neat new wearable tech, that is coming out at a dizzying pace from a bunch of different companies. From garmin to fitbit to mio.

I think I want a unit with heart rate, that is waterproof.
So far, this seems to reduce things down to just a few options, eliminating fitbit.
Should I not worry about having it on for swimming, or for heart rate, and keep it for general stats.

Honestly, the best option seems to be the garmin vivofit, or vivosmart. I can add a chest strap for heart rate during workouts. Slight inconvenience, but very acurate.

So confusing.

2014-12-03 7:36 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Subject: RE: Fitness trackers!
I use a POLAR F7 HRM and use it for everything. Granted its only HR but I than use Strava and RUNKEEPER to track everything else and than just punch in my HR.
2014-12-04 9:52 AM
in reply to: kt2007

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
As a (re)Beginner Triathlete, see below, I am looking to keep on task in all aspects of fitness. This includes NOT sitting in my easy chair all day, and knowing I got a full nights rest. This is the whole reason I would like an "all the time" fitness tracker. The exercise HRM's are yesterdays news. I use Endomondo with my phone to track any running and biking. I (will) log it all on here. I know there are automatic logging features with certain devices, and although that's cool, I find it very satisfying to take a minute and log my workouts on here manually.

I'm rambling....

Why I'm a REbeginner.
I was all about Triathlon in 2010. Then we had our first child in the spring of 2011. We moved, and I became a stay at home dad. Schedule wise, I had no time to train. Nearly 4yrs later, with two kids now, I'm ready to MAKE time.

I'm surprised this topic isn't a hotter one on here. I know how some Triathletes like to over analyze data. Something that gives you a pictures of YOU, 24/7, could be very valuable info.
2014-12-05 5:04 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

The thing about activity trackers is that they tend to be better for people who aren't athletes. So triathletes will be more likely to have gear that actually monitors their workouts, but not as much their daily walking and number of steps climbed in a day. (The "calorie" count for non-workout time is not very accurate.)

I'd like to have the Garmin 920xt which has fitness-tracking ability (in non-GPS mode) when you are wearing it as a watch. But mostly just for the novelty of it. I can't see wearing an activity tracker otherwise.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitness trackers! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

In need of a fitness tracker/watch thing

Started by Aly_mc
Views: 943 Posts: 5

2014-07-08 6:20 AM ginger1981

Race gps tracker?

Started by AndrewZ57
Views: 667 Posts: 3

2010-11-01 8:30 PM reid15

Precor 9.27 Treadmill (Home Fitness) Belt Slipping?

Started by Savercool
Views: 2463 Posts: 2

2010-01-14 4:23 PM norcal_SAHD

Cell phone service w/ mileage tracker!

Started by marcusgrimm
Views: 736 Posts: 2

2006-11-05 10:11 PM TH3_FRB

Equipment Tracker-Shoes

Started by Casper
Views: 886 Posts: 3

2004-12-23 3:53 PM mhan22
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : June 21, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
How recent studies can impact your training and nutrition strategies
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 0
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.