General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tight Legs, loose lungs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-03 6:47 PM

Subject: Tight Legs, loose lungs
I've noticed on all my runs that I have plenty of "gas in the tank" in the cardio sense but I'm experiencing tightness in my calfs, glut. max, hip flexors. Almost like knots in my legs, not a sharp pain, not cramps. I can keep running but I'm sure it's slowing we down as I have plenty of cardio power to use but my legs are puckering (incidentally I've really tuned into how infinitely adjustable my stride can be and that's cool). So I ask you this. Is this just training and conditioning and in time my legs will get acclimated? Or should I prescribe something like deep massage and slow runs for a few weeks get me loosened up and really working at optimal leg speed.

I should mention I've been a casual but relatively quick runner/hiker for years in the 7:30/mi avg. I've been running and riding a few times week now 30 mins to 1 hour, tempo, moderate, long. It seems like quantity / quality rest or no rest makes no difference. I stretch some, not a lot. I also work at a standing desk and stand all day long.

Thanks all for your thoughts!

2014-12-03 6:53 PM
in reply to: cfmaurer

Subject: RE: Tight Legs, loose lungs
I should clarify, It's not ALL of my runs where I've plenty of "gas in the tank," on my sprint workouts and hills I get wasted. But my legs are tight consistently on my runs ;-) Not really so much on my rides
2014-12-03 11:20 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
If biking consistently is new to your workout mix that's probably the source of the tightness. Riding leaves my legs sore and often tired for my runs. Balancing the quality of bike and run workouts is one of the challenges of tri training, but you'll eventually get used to both running on tired legs and the extra stress on your body from riding.

2014-12-04 3:26 AM
in reply to: #5071866

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Could be the biking, or a change in running style. Are you a heelstriker or fore/midfoot runner? Ive found that when i ran more on my midfoot i had a lot more calf muscle tightness.
2014-12-04 7:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Wow, we have almost identical profiles and issues. Standing desk, 7:30min/mi pace, mid/fore foot striker, plenty of cardio, but my calf muscles are prone to straining. I haven't figured it out yet, but here are some things I've been trying:

- Land less on the fore foot and more mid/heel strike to keep the calves more relaxed.
- Keep the strides short.
- Run slower to build up leg strength (This is very hard for me to do).
- Use rollers to massage the calves and legs everyday.

So far these seem to be helping, but the trial is still in progress. I wonder how much standing at a desk all day might play into it, since we both happen to share that in common as well.

Edited by cassowary 2014-12-04 7:38 AM
2014-12-04 12:28 PM
in reply to: cassowary

Right on!

Sinking back into my hips, shortening my stride and shift for fore/mid to mid/back definitely takes strain off the calves (and moves it to the glutes). Changing stride is a nice way to change muscle impact.

Also as mentioned the biking is probably adding some additional impact. Good point!

I'm not doing much rolling out of the muscles, so I'll add some more of that I think I'll add some more kicksets too. That seems to loosen up the calf nicely. Not so much the hip flexors though :-(

It's my opinion the standing desk keeps the legs looser since it keeps them moving, but it's a variable to consider

The Run Faster / Run Less approach is interesting BUT that doesn't account for any bike riding, so a bunch of biking could botch that approach. I read about the 80/20 rule for training, but I like to get out and run fast. All things to consider, each person is a little different.

I'll experiment and see if I can find something that works and let you know.

2014-12-04 7:57 PM

\Its hard to guess without more information.

How many miles per week have you averaged in the last month? How about last month, and the month before? If not miles, then time? Has there been a significant increase recently? What about your other training? How many "hard" workouts do you do in each discipline per week?

"Heavy legs" could be a symptom of overtraining. Maybe not severe overtraining, but if you are consistently breaking down your muscles faster than you are recovering, this could be contributing to your problem.

It seems like your attitude towards intensity may also be contributing. Recovery is as important as your harder sessions.

My advice would be to do at least one recovery week to start. If you are overdoing it, this should help. Then I would start training with heart rate, for running at least. Determine your zones and force yourself to have proper recovery runs. Running too hard too often generally doesn't produce good results for most people. Perhaps some people, but by the fact that you are having issues, you may not be one of those people. Why not try another approach?

You may like the feel of getting a solid hard workout in every single time you head out, but especially with running, you need time to let your body adapt and recover from the hard efforts. And the better you feel heading into the hard workouts the more you will be able to push yourself, so it can be win-win.

Try to get to 5 to 6 runs per week. I would do a long run, and perhaps one tempo or interval workout per week. If you haven't been running consistently for a year or so, just get out there and run and worry about the more intense efforts down the road.

Run lots. Mostly easy, sometimes hard. Give it a shot.
2014-12-04 8:02 PM
in reply to: ImSore

One more thing, I wouldn't worry so much about adjusting your form. Just try to run naturally. If you are consciously trying to change your form too much you could be causing more harm than good. Just run comfortably, keep up a good cadence (generally 180 strides/minute), and if you are running harder, try to make sure you aren't over-striding.
2014-12-10 7:06 PM
in reply to: ImSore

Thanks for the feedback all! Here's my are response so far...

1. I got a handheld roller and did some extra leg muscle roll out before bed with pleasing results. Loosened me up.
2. Added slow multi-hour running. (ran a half marathon in 2 hours pushing a stroller, with a kid inside. Don't worry it was my kid)
3. Added lower intensity spin on bike. (just some relaxed riding with good cadence, easy gear, and not to much power)
4. Added more pool kicking. (my kick is so sad anyways. once i figure out how to get my size 12's whipping around I'm sure to be a motor boat)
5. Embraced tightness and ran faster. I took the tension and used it, just ran my fastest set of 3 miles today, my best time at 5:49. note: My lungs were not feeling too loose today. ha!

When I said I was adjusting my stride, it's micro adjustments really. Subtle balance, subtle weight adjustments and pelvis angle. No need to worry ;-). I ain't adding no big fat heel striking.

I'm sticking with that for now. I report after more time. I must admit I'm feeling pretty good.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tight Legs, loose lungs Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Okay Noob here with first Brick, Tight Legs

Started by jdrum3
Views: 869 Posts: 8

2012-07-31 7:16 PM rjrankin83

Tight back and leg muscles after bike leg (Help)

Started by cswartz
Views: 1616 Posts: 7

2012-07-04 12:27 PM cswartz

compression leg sleeves / tight calves

Started by slowfatbeginner
Views: 871 Posts: 2

2011-09-25 2:56 PM peteweb55403

Legs & Lungs

Started by FERG DADDY
Views: 1601 Posts: 19

2011-07-22 7:12 AM Scout7

Running - Laces loose or tight?

Started by pds0006
Views: 3468 Posts: 12

2009-07-17 12:35 PM pds0006
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 5, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
When I was only a runner, I didn't have this issue. But now, going into my third year as a triathlete, my calves and occasionally my Achilles are tight and painful throughout most of my mileage.