Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any pay as you go android cell phone users? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-04 7:34 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Any pay as you go android cell phone users?

I've been a tracfone users for years and finally updated to a tracfone android smartphone. I've been reading that if you text a lot it is better to download a free text app but I'm really old fashioned and confused by all of this. When I look at the apps some of them only work if my friends use the same app. Some of them charge a fee for their "free" service and then give you a new phone number.

Just looking for some recommendations if you've got em! Or any other advice on working with this new contraption. I'm not a person who loves playing around with new technology and will probably never use half of what this phone can do. But my old phone could not receive group texts so it was time.

2014-12-04 9:28 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Any pay as you go android cell phone users?

If you text a lot it might be better to get an unlimited text plan.

I've used the free apps, but only for when one party was in another country (to avoid international fees).

2014-12-04 9:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran

I use Page Plus (it's pay as you go-but with an auto pay option which is nice) with an android phone. I'm not sure how many texts is "a lot", but it includes 3,000 texts, 1,200 minutes and 500MB data for 29.95/month. They also have an unlimited plan for $39. I've been very happy with it as it uses Verizon towers which gives me really good coverage for my rural area. The free texting apps use data which kind of defeats the point in my opinion.

Edited by InnerAthlete 2014-12-04 9:48 AM
2014-12-04 12:53 PM
in reply to: InnerAthlete

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Tracfone user for 10+ years, but still on the LG 840g. I saw they started carrying Android phones and even the BYOP option where you could get a used, unlocked iPhone 4s if you want.

I most likely will take the plunge soon. They had a nice phone out there recently from Alcatel that was a 5” screen and ran 4.4. I don’t really use my phone that much but having data would have come in handy a couple times this year. Plus I want a GPS/tracking app so my wife can track me on my ride.

One disadvantage if the “buckets” you get with Tracfone. Right now, if I get a new phone my minutes would transfer to 1400 minutes/1400 texts/ 1400 MB data. So depending on your usage, some buckets might dry up sooner than others and the minutes are not transferable between them.

What phone did you get?
2014-12-04 1:51 PM
in reply to: cartman1966

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by cartman1966 Tracfone user for 10+ years, but still on the LG 840g. I saw they started carrying Android phones and even the BYOP option where you could get a used, unlocked iPhone 4s if you want. I most likely will take the plunge soon. They had a nice phone out there recently from Alcatel that was a 5” screen and ran 4.4. I don’t really use my phone that much but having data would have come in handy a couple times this year. Plus I want a GPS/tracking app so my wife can track me on my ride. One disadvantage if the “buckets” you get with Tracfone. Right now, if I get a new phone my minutes would transfer to 1400 minutes/1400 texts/ 1400 MB data. So depending on your usage, some buckets might dry up sooner than others and the minutes are not transferable between them. What phone did you get?

I got the LG Optimus Fuel for $20 at Kroger. Pretty cheap so if I don't like it I will not worry too much about it and just do something else. I've been with Tracfone forever too and have 16,000 service days so I just keep hanging on with Tracfone! 

2014-12-04 2:52 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by lisac957

If you text a lot it might be better to get an unlimited text plan.

I've used the free apps, but only for when one party was in another country (to avoid international fees).

Yeah, text a lot is probably the wrong term. My phone has not buzzed all day so that is probably not a lot . I guess I mean I use the phone for mostly only texting.

2014-12-04 3:58 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, as far as I know the "free" texting apps are only free if you're on data or wifi.
2014-12-05 3:59 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by chayes Yeah, as far as I know the "free" texting apps are only free if you're on data or wifi.

This would be ok. I homeschool my daughter so I'm actually texting from home a lot.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any pay as you go android cell phone users? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Prepaid / Pay-as-you-go Phone

Started by ratherbeswimming
Views: 884 Posts: 6

2012-12-19 11:56 AM GetWetInAZ

I want a tiny cell phone, not a gigantic smart phone

Started by JoshKaptur
Views: 2494 Posts: 15

2011-04-19 3:42 PM JoshKaptur

Sprint Users - phone questions

Started by Kido
Views: 811 Posts: 12

2011-02-10 5:08 PM RedShark

Podcasting Android Users

Started by Bripod
Views: 546 Posts: 3

2010-12-14 11:19 AM zee744

Pre=pay phone

Started by Puppetmaster
Views: 817 Posts: 9

2010-10-20 4:05 AM jamiej
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 3, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 1
There are other risks that may not be perceived because of their long term nature. This article deals with one of those, the risk of developing skin cancer.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.