General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gyms with pools in Atlanta area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-04 3:39 PM

Subject: Gyms with pools in Atlanta area
Hey folks - just moved down to Atlanta 5 days ago and am looking for a gym with a pool. How is the LA Fitness chain? Are they family friendly? They seem to get mixed reviews. Do folks workout at the YMCA? We had a really good experience at a local Y up in NY, and wasn't sure how they are down here in Atlanta. I assume they're also good right? Are there other good options? BTW, right now, I'm in a corporate apartment in the Buckhead area and will probably buy/rent in the Buckhead/Chastain Park/Sandy Springs longer term.

I appreciate your help with this.

Thanks!

2014-12-05 8:03 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

, Utah
Subject: RE: Gyms with pools in Atlanta area
There are WAY better options then a gym pool in Atlanta, especially better then an LA Fitness. There are good masters programs at Emory University, Dynamo, Westminster (Killer Whales), Swim Atlanta, and more. If you live in Cobb County there is also the Central Aquatic Center, West Cobb Aquatic Center, and Mountain View Aquatic Center. Sorry, I just find gym pools lousy places to train seriously, especially when there are so many better options in Atlanta. My experience with the YMCA pools that I've swam in is they keep the water way too warm to do a hard interval workout without cooking. Here are some listings from USMS: http://www.usms.org/placswim/placswimform.php?LMSCID=45 If you are in Buckhead then you might want to check out the masters at Westminster or Dynamo - both would be fairly convenient. Dynamo also has lap swim times.

2014-12-05 2:27 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
The YMCA on the westside of Buckhead is definitely worth checking out. My impression is that it's very family friendly and not that far from Chastain.

http://www.ymcaatlanta.org/sby/

2014-12-31 8:59 AM
in reply to: little red

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

The Life Time in Sandy Springs has great pools, both indoors and out and Life Time, as a company, is incredibly family friendly with a focus on excellent child centers, children's events and programming.

2015-01-01 7:22 PM
in reply to: milaminute

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Do any of the LTF pools have the outdoor pool open year round? Or just over the summer?
2015-01-19 2:57 PM
in reply to: karen26.2

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Originally posted by karen26.2 Do any of the LTF pools have the outdoor pool open year round? Or just over the summer?

The outdoor pools are typically open from early May through late September.

2015-02-27 7:55 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I belong to the Buckhead YMCA & do all my swims there. They have a 5 lane 25 yard pool. The typical setup is 4 lanes for lap swimming & one lane for aqua joggers/aerobics, etc. I have had to circle swim in a lane once in the last year there. Sharing a lane with one other person is not uncommon. Most of the time, I have a lane all to myself. Sometimes I have the entire pool all to myself. Of course, that all depends on what time you show up. Get there at 6:00 in the morning, at lunchtime, or at 5PM, and you will have a crowded pool. Get there at 10AM or 2PM and you may be the only one in the water.

In the summer it's great because the pool is dedicated to lap swimming only when the outside pool is open (sans the occasional lane for swim lessons). Right now it can suck because they will eat up lanes for swim lessons & swim team at the same time sometimes leaving only one or two lanes open for lap swimming. They have a schedule though telling you when lanes will be closed for those activities, so just plan accordingly.

My coach keeps trying to get me to join the masters at Westminster, but I can't commit to that right now because of my schedule and two kids. Until then, I will keep doing the workouts he sends me on my own.
2015-03-04 7:54 AM
in reply to: Meathead

Thanks everyone. Just did my first(!) swim session last night (I have a long way to go...). I ended-up joining LA Fitness on a month-to-month deal...the LAF at the perimeter is definitely old and busted, but it's really close to my temporary corporate apartment, and given traffic around Atlanta, especially up here at the Perimeter, LAF seems like a logical choice.

And just to let you all know, they're going to be renovating the LAF at the perimeter in early April, so hopefully the old and busted facility will be better on the other side.

In any case, enjoy today's fog and let's hope spring gets here soon.

btw, is anybody training for IM Cozumel later this year? I soft circled that on my race calendar.

2021-04-23 10:37 PM

Hi! Just want to know how's the LAF at this time since you've mentioned that they're going to be renovating the LAF at the perimeter in the past few years. Just curios

-------
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gyms with pools in Atlanta area Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need advice on Lap Swimming Pool in Atlanta

Started by Mission2be
Views: 1527 Posts: 4

2012-01-30 11:54 AM runlikeagrrl

Atlanta Pool Recommendation?

Started by add_rock
Views: 1369 Posts: 6

2010-06-13 1:29 PM AtlRadTech

Gyms and Pools in Warner Robins area

Started by hrliles
Views: 2374 Posts: 2

2010-04-15 8:58 AM murk

Gold's Gym Woodstock Pool Length

Started by activejustin
Views: 2268 Posts: 5

2008-04-10 6:20 AM brown_dog_us

Atlanta pool/ track

Started by savannah5799
Views: 1093 Posts: 7

2008-01-16 8:57 AM savannah5799
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
comments : 0
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.