General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking Tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-06 8:58 AM

User image

, Massachusetts
Subject: Biking Tips
I'm relatively new to triathlons with a background in running. I've put quite a bit of effort into improving my swimming with good results, but I'm a little overwhelmed by all the biking info out there. If you had to share your top 2 or 3 bike training tips, what would they be? Thanks!

2014-12-06 9:09 AM
in reply to: dgconner154

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Biking Tips

1. Ride more.

2. Ride more.

3. Ride more.

2014-12-06 9:11 AM

User image

Richland, Washington
Let's start with some background. Where do you live? Do you have to train indoors in the winter? That makes a huge difference in some of the tips.
The basic tips. Make sure to get a bike fit, you'll be in the saddle for a while, it's best to have the bike be an extension of your body. Cycle often. The best way to get better at the bike is to ride a lot. Make sure you have a good helmet, don't go cheap there. After my "spectacular" crash in Canada I will swear that my helmet saved my life. If you can find a group to ride with on the weekends it will help you get into biking a bit easier. Most groups are always welcoming to new people. My cycling group gets a new person every couple of weeks. We started with 3, now there are 8 of us. It's a great way to learn from others.
2014-12-06 9:24 AM
in reply to: #5072551

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Actually since all cycling helmets need to pass safety tests there is generally no difference between cheap or expensive helmets. Now when youre talking about fit, ventilation, weight, snazzy colors, then yes. But safety, no.

As far as riding, do lots. Mostly easy, some hard. There might be rides where you will have a hard time making it home because you gave it too much at the start of the ride. Those are the best rides, I miss those rides. They will teach you lots. One way to catalyze these experiences is to ride with others who are generally a bit faster than you. Dont worry, you will gain fitness quickly if you keep at it.
2014-12-06 9:43 AM
in reply to: Snaaijer

User image

, Massachusetts
Thanks everyone. By way of background, I live in the northeast U.S. so winter training will be mostly indoors on a trainer. I'm currently riding a Cannondale road bike with clip on aeros but I'm planning to upgrade to a tri bike in the near future. I understand the importance of fit and will be working with a local tri-specific shop when I do invest in a new bike. In the meantime the Cannondale isn't ideal but I maintained an avg of 18.5 mph in my first Olympic tri about a month ago. I have a basic computer but I don't have a power monitor or a HR monitor.

I have plenty of friends who ride and there's also a LBS nearby that hosts group rides, but I've also heard that riding alone is more productive for tri training, so most of my training to date has been solo.
2014-12-06 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Originally posted by dgconner154

Thanks everyone. By way of background, I live in the northeast U.S. so winter training will be mostly indoors on a trainer. I'm currently riding a Cannondale road bike with clip on aeros but I'm planning to upgrade to a tri bike in the near future. I understand the importance of fit and will be working with a local tri-specific shop when I do invest in a new bike. In the meantime the Cannondale isn't ideal but I maintained an avg of 18.5 mph in my first Olympic tri about a month ago. I have a basic computer but I don't have a power monitor or a HR monitor.

I have plenty of friends who ride and there's also a LBS nearby that hosts group rides, but I've also heard that riding alone is more productive for tri training, so most of my training to date has been solo.

For winter training on a stationary trainer, you can't beat trainerroad.com. I would probably just start with an FTP test, I usually do the 20 minute one, then follow their 40k time trial training plan. It will give you a pretty good base come spring.

What kind of trainer do you have? To really take advantage of trainerroad you'll want an ANT+ usb stick and ANT+ speed/cadence sensors.

2014-12-07 7:34 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire

Yes and no… you need to do solo rides to get used to the constant power output you have to maintain (as in no drafting, so you can't rest…) and the mental aspect of riding alone. BUT, group rides are amazing to keep motivation up, develop speed (especially if you ride with a group that is slightly faster than you, just hang on for dear life!!!) and for recovery rides (riding with a group that is slightly slower than you). It also helps you develop comfort with other rides around and improve your handling skills. Riding with a group also means that you have an excellent opportunity to ask questions and ask for help with your training.

Basically, find a balance between your group rides and your solo rides. I do 2-3 group rides per week on my road bike and at least 2 solo sessions per week on my tri bike. All my solo sessions are harder intervals and TT efforts (long intervals), so an excellent replication of race efforts.
2014-12-08 7:09 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by audiojan

Yes and no… you need to do solo rides to get used to the constant power output you have to maintain (as in no drafting, so you can't rest…) and the mental aspect of riding alone. BUT, group rides are amazing to keep motivation up, develop speed (especially if you ride with a group that is slightly faster than you, just hang on for dear life!!!) and for recovery rides (riding with a group that is slightly slower than you). It also helps you develop comfort with other rides around and improve your handling skills. Riding with a group also means that you have an excellent opportunity to ask questions and ask for help with your training.

Basically, find a balance between your group rides and your solo rides. I do 2-3 group rides per week on my road bike and at least 2 solo sessions per week on my tri bike. All my solo sessions are harder intervals and TT efforts (long intervals), so an excellent replication of race efforts.

^^^ Spot on --- A group ride tends to push you more than you will on your own. Find a group that is a little stronger than you are and hang on for dear life! Yes you need to do some solo rides but that is more for developing your position in aero and getting comfortable with it.
2014-12-08 11:01 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by dgconner154 Thanks everyone. By way of background, I live in the northeast U.S. so winter training will be mostly indoors on a trainer. I'm currently riding a Cannondale road bike with clip on aeros but I'm planning to upgrade to a tri bike in the near future. I understand the importance of fit and will be working with a local tri-specific shop when I do invest in a new bike. In the meantime the Cannondale isn't ideal but I maintained an avg of 18.5 mph in my first Olympic tri about a month ago. I have a basic computer but I don't have a power monitor or a HR monitor. I have plenty of friends who ride and there's also a LBS nearby that hosts group rides, but I've also heard that riding alone is more productive for tri training, so most of my training to date has been solo.

Bike tips:

Keep the rubber on the road.  Bad things happen when the rubber leaves the road.  

Solo riding is more representative of triathlon riding, but that isn't the same as productive.  

Benefits of group rides:
Less likely to bail on a ride if others are expecting you.
You can learn from other cyclists.
You'll get some support from the group.  Help with repairs, planning a route, following the route, and dealing with traffic are things the other riders in the group can help you with.  
You'll sometimes be pushed, and sometimes be held back.  Sometimes each is important.  The group may hold you back in the beginning, when you're feeling fresh and spunky and push you later when you're tired.  End result is a more consistent effort/pace.  

There are some disadvantages as well.  
It's easy to turn an hour ride into a 2.5 hour hit in your day.  Don't be the guy who gets there just a minute before the departure time and isn't ready to ride because you've got soft tires, finicky shifters, etc.  

Understand that the pace you get riding in a group and drafting ISN'T representative of what you can ride by yourself.  

2014-12-08 11:56 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by mike761

Originally posted by audiojan

^^^ Spot on --- A group ride tends to push you more than you will on your own. Find a group that is a little stronger than you are and hang on for dear life! Yes you need to do some solo rides but that is more for developing your position in aero and getting comfortable with it.

I completely agree. I was blessed and found some friends to ride with that were much faster than me and willing to take me under their wing and teach me. At first I was doing everything I could just not to be dropped, but eventually I was able to keep up and pull some myself. Without them I would have never pushed myself that hard and without a doubt would be much slower than I am now. Honestly the important thing is what motivates you best. My wife would hate to be put into a group ride situation as a beginner, but I personally love working out in groups as it motivates me more.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking Tips Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Your cold weather biking tips...

Started by Porfirio
Views: 1323 Posts: 22

2013-12-16 1:12 PM Porfirio

Bike tip of the day

Started by fisherman76
Views: 488 Posts: 1

2012-04-25 8:43 PM fisherman76

Best bike tips for building base?

Started by Gospedration
Views: 850 Posts: 9

2012-01-18 7:21 AM jsnowash

First Tri Sunday, Bike Tips Wanted

Started by KarmannGhia
Views: 1016 Posts: 15

2009-08-05 11:19 PM tjh

Running off of the bike...tips?

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 885 Posts: 7

2009-03-25 9:50 PM pjgrande
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 16, 2014
author : funkj25
comments : 0
The open water swim can be one of the scariest or most fun parts of your race. Use these four tips to take a little fear out of the water and turn it into more of an enjoyable experience.

date : August 29, 2011
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 1
How to improve your bike split in a triathlon through careful planning and execution of your training schedule
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : May 1, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Below are just a few tips from sports dietitians and other health professionals who help active people transform their food fears into peaceful fueling.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The start for everyone is a crazy cluster of splashing. Here are some tips to deal with what some consider being the toughest part of any triathlon.
date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.