General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FR310xt -> Garmin Connect Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-06 7:44 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: FR310xt -> Garmin Connect Question
For anyone out there who knows the Garmin Forerunner 310xt.
I love the device and have been using all it's features (including OWS successfully)

Winter here in NY - back into the pool - and YES, I know it's not a lap counter or GPS enabled successfully in pool use, BUT, I set it to OTHER mode (DISABLED GPS) and simply did intervals and hit the "lap" button after every workbout and/or recovery period. The watch recorded it all beautifully - every single "lap" and it's corresponding time. I then snyc with Garmin Connect and all that transferred was the total time - and it calculated distance once I logged in the appropriate pool length and laps. I had to hand write all the lap info off the watch and then do my own math. Not a torture, but ..
It's so odd, because when I do the same in run mode, say, when indoors on treadmill, I'll run mode - disable GPS and manually click on "lap" for my workbout intervals and recovery times and it all syncs up no problemo. WTF!
Anyone?
Thanks
TJ

Edited by TJHammer 2014-12-06 7:45 PM

2014-12-06 9:13 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Richland, Washington
Subject: RE: FR310xt -> Garmin Connect Question
I'm confused. How was it recording laps? There's no accelerometer in the 310xt, or at least that was my thought. Were you doing this all time based? Hitting "lap" after each lap of the pool? If so, doesn't the 310 limit out at 99 laps?

Sorry, trying to get a grasp on what you're doing, and what you're trying to do, so I can lend a hand. I have 2 of the 310's and 2 of the 910s... (currently working on winning a 920. :P) so I'm pretty well versed in these units... and I practically can't live my life without them.

What is the end goal? To track yourself on the treadmill? If that's the case, buy the $50 foot pod and call it a day. If you want accurate lap counting in the pool the 910 is the way to go.
2014-12-07 8:46 AM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Brooklyn, New York
The treadmill use while disabling GPS in run mode was an example of what I thought the 310xt to Garmin Connect transfer would do in OTHER mode.

When I pool swam in OTHER mode (GPS disabled) I manually hit the lap button after every 100 yards. At workout end the 310xt recorded all the data correctly (each lap or split and its time). When I syncd with Garmin Connect, all that transferred was total time - no laps/splits etc. So I was stuck writing down all the info off the 310xt. I was so frustrated why the Connect transfer wouldn't do the same as it does in other modes when I disable GPS.

I have no interest in buying more watches, because the 310xt is perfect for me in all outdoor modes. I have no problem pressing lap while GPS disabled indoor. In fact, in that respect, the 310xt has worked just fine. Why would Garmin Connect not sync the same way in OTHER mode. Nonsense! I can't be the only one discovering this, but all my searches on this or in complaints to Garmin came up empty
2014-12-07 9:02 AM

User image

Richland, Washington
I get it now. Yeah that seems strange. I'll try it out today and see if I can get it to work for me.
2014-12-28 3:51 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Mine is doing it too.

Ever since the update with the swim mode, we lost the "lap" function inside the swim mode. You have to pull it from the watch. I sent a message to Garmin about it and was told they will be putting it back as the update rolls through.

If it makes you feel better, I swim with the GPS on, but it shows me in Olathe, KS every time, even though the swims are in Alabama. Unsure of that one....
2014-12-29 5:01 PM
in reply to: LostSheep

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by LostSheep

Mine is doing it too.

Ever since the update with the swim mode, we lost the "lap" function inside the swim mode. You have to pull it from the watch. I sent a message to Garmin about it and was told they will be putting it back as the update rolls through.

If it makes you feel better, I swim with the GPS on, but it shows me in Olathe, KS every time, even though the swims are in Alabama. Unsure of that one....

I never bothered contacting Garmin, so thanks for the update. Sometimes GPS freakouts can be entertaining. That outdoor swim or indoor?

2015-01-06 9:04 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
I swim outdoors. Well, we're under a canvas bubble, but the pool is outdoors.

If you go and look today, you'll see your swim laps are showing up now. My swim from last night, has all of my laps in it.

Just an FYI.
2015-01-07 5:36 PM
in reply to: LostSheep

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by LostSheep

I swim outdoors. Well, we're under a canvas bubble, but the pool is outdoors.

If you go and look today, you'll see your swim laps are showing up now. My swim from last night, has all of my laps in it.

Just an FYI.

Yes! 2 swim workouts to upload too. Looking forward. Thanks again for contacting them
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FR310xt -> Garmin Connect Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

More Garmin 310XT questions!

Started by millarg
Views: 808 Posts: 2

2010-12-28 10:00 PM Northern ivy

Garmin 310xt and Speed/cadence sensor question...

Started by WCTri
Views: 4539 Posts: 3

2010-09-15 2:06 PM dcrainmaker

Garmin 310XT Question

Started by rlc5925
Views: 781 Posts: 4

2009-09-30 9:50 AM jldicarlo

Deciding btwn Garmin 305 and 310xt have questions

Started by PlaywithZoe
Views: 1831 Posts: 17

2009-08-11 5:00 PM ball6135

Garmin Forerunner® 310XT questions- Pages: 1 2

Started by benc84
Views: 5669 Posts: 33

2009-09-25 4:01 PM GaryRM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.
date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.