General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim/breathing question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-07 7:46 AM

Subject: swim/breathing question
Let's say I'm turning to might right to breathe. Turning at the waist and there is some head turn right? What should I be "looking at/seeing"?

In other words....should I
-be looking at the tree tops to my right?
-90 degrees above the horizon to my right?
-the sky over my right shoulder?
-my right hip?
-other?

I tried all those yesterday...couldn't really tell what matched the videos I've been watching.

2014-12-07 9:22 AM
in reply to: #5072690

Subject: RE: swim/breathing question
You dont want to slow your pace so you turn just a little. Somme will say you breathe out of the corner of your mouth. Looking at your waist would make you curl, bend. Which goes farther, a straight arrow or a bent arrow... You just pivot in a way to keep your body in an Straight horizontal axis.

In triathlon i.e. open water, Once every 10 or so stroke, you make sure to look ahead to avoid deviating. By doing so, you end Up looking Up and bending backward. You therefore want to find your destination as fast as possible to get back to the horizontal axis as fast as possible. Also, the more strokes you can do without having to look up, the better.

Another way to put it is your body follows your head. If you look at your belly, down, you will end up diving. If you look ahead, Up, you will go Up. The direction you want to go is straight so keep the head in the same axis as the body as much as possible.

It is not just the head wich turns, your body pivots. If you van afford it, have somme lessons, you will learn a lot. Swimming is very technical and your performance will benefit from proper technique.
2014-12-07 10:41 AM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

It would probably be worth it to have someone (an experienced swimmer or coach) watch you swim so that they can correct you in person. As you have already learned, what you're doing in the water might feel different than what it actually looks like.
2014-12-07 5:57 PM
in reply to: #5072704

User image

It's probably a little different for every swimmer but I look straight to the side. I swim in a pool so my view is of the lane line. You shouldn't really be turning your head though - it's a body rotation.

2014-12-07 7:24 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Veteran
Great White North
1 goggle stays in the water and your head should create an air pocket with the bow wave.

I will let Bob Bowman explain.
Freestyle Breathing with Michael Phelps, Katie Ho…: http://youtu.be/KB4fJxMWX3U
2014-12-07 9:25 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by jhaack39

Let's say I'm turning to might right to breathe. Turning at the waist and there is some head turn right? What should I be "looking at/seeing"?

In other words....should I
-be looking at the tree tops to my right?
-90 degrees above the horizon to my right?
-the sky over my right shoulder?
-my right hip?
-other?

I tried all those yesterday...couldn't really tell what matched the videos I've been watching.

Looking back at your right hip and as SimpsonBo said, one goggle in the water. Definitely not sky or tree tops.

and don't forget your body needs to roll as well. Common error is for your body to stay horizontal and your head turns to breathe.

Edited by zedzded 2014-12-07 9:32 PM

2014-12-07 11:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Some tips in this old thread:

The Swim Breathing Thread...
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by AdventureBear 2014-12-07 11:37 PM
2014-12-08 4:07 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Originally posted by AdventureBear

Some tips in this old thread:

The Swim Breathing Thread...
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Excellent. Thanks!

Thanks all.

I think I'm trying too hard to rotate hips....and then adding some minor head turn. Clearly doing some funky things with arms too after a chance at reading some things here too.

I'll definitely get someone to work with me, but I figure I'd like to see if I can't try to get a little further down the road with exploring on my own. I've been recreationally swimming long enough that I'm not going to make it worse. Actually, I'm trying to sorta break habit/the norm and experiment with all the things I've read/seen. Worst case scenario, I get better at the practice of 'controlling' what I'm doing in the water so that when I work with someone it'll be easier to 'do it different' as opposed to just not being able to do it differently than I've done it since I was 5.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim/breathing question Rss Feed