United States
61F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 00m 15s
Overall Rank = 116/1800
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 6/188
Pre-race routine:

This was a girl's weekend for me with my precious friend M and finally spending some time with D. I loved it. I have been looking forward to it and it was wonderful to be with those women. We all do our own thing and no one criticizes the other. I run, M walks with some run, and D walks. We separate for the race and meet up at the end. All of us will be at the ultra next weekend but none of us are anal about times, etc. My wonderful friends got a hotel right across the street from the start/finish. So It took 45 sec or so to get to start. Cannot beat that.
Event warmup:

Mild stretches
Run
  • 2h 00m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to run ez, enjoy the experience, not mess myself up for next weekend, but still push myself to a comfortably hard state.

This was my first predominately women race. I liked so much of this. We did have a few guys and I liked seeing the few in the race; they were having fun. But I didn't find as much joking, casual conversation, and friendliness as usual. I thought a lot of people were more standoffish. You can't have a race without volunteers, police, and hopefully medics so racers should be acknowledging and thanking these people; I didn't hear a lot of women doing so. I was disappointed in that.

Weather was perfect and I wore my pink Power Ranger dress from last year's Ragnar. (Don't remember that dress riding up that much last year and I know much of the time, I looked like Hooker Power Ranger.)

Mile 9, we hit the north wind and it was cooler. But the temps started at 61 and ended at 64 so there were no complaints.

There was a DJ at mile 12.2 and I loved the music and felt like I was hitting a sub 2 hour race. But then the last part stretched and stretched and stretched for me. Why does that happen? Finally hit the wonderful people handing us pink boas and crown. Pulled off my hat, pulled down my dress to not be Slut Pam, put on my boa and crown, and headed around the corner for the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Wish I shave off 16 secs for sub 2 hour but really, I wouldn't have changed things because it was supposed to be (and was) a fun girl's weekend.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal from the shirtless hunks (Ooo-la-la, way too young for me but those boys worked hard for those bodies and deserve to be admired. They were also nice to all of the ladies.) and then got my champagne. And then another glass of champagne. Grabbed food and went back to room for shower. While it wasn't cold, the wind was chilling to me and I put on every bit of clothes I could find. Went back and cheered for M as she finished and then D as she finished. Saw several Tally girls there and talked to them; they had asked for and received one of the bottles of champagne. See, people in Tally are smart - aside from our d.a. QB

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't recover as quickly from Soldiers Marathon. Then I was just flat-out lazy during the cold and didn't do my mileage.

Event comments:

They catered to women and I really applaud the perks/blink. There was no food/gels on the course. Absolutely one of the most organized races that I have seen. And the volunteers were spot-on, amazing, and great. One hour after the race ended, the course and the finish line were spotless.

I prefer to go thru neighborhoods and soak up the scenery so I wasn't as happy that most of the course was on highways. But they did the right thing for the amount of people on the course. I cannot fault their organization one whit; they nailed it.

Last updated: 2014-05-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:15 | 13.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/188
Overall: 116/1800
Performance: Good
Course: Island near St Augustine. A few neighborhoods (beautiful) but mostly blocked lane of highways.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-12-07 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: Diva Half Marathon

2014-12-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #5072813

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Diva Half Marathon

Nice run - nice time and it sounds like you had blast! 

2014-12-08 3:22 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Congrats Pam
2014-12-26 8:44 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Congrats Pam, great job and are you kidding me? Oh so close to that sub 2 hour time! It sounds like you had a great time participating in this event with your friends. Glad you had a good time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Diva Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Island 2 Island Half Marathon (formerly MD Half Marathon)

Started by asgate99
Views: 1607 Posts: 1

2011-05-01 3:57 PM asgate99

Diva's Half Marathon Series

Started by tritwinmom
Views: 1417 Posts: 2

2011-04-19 9:24 PM BigDH

Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon)

Started by willrunforchocolate
Views: 1644 Posts: 2

2011-04-16 5:36 PM linfieldpt

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by dimplespoo
Views: 3057 Posts: 2

2010-12-09 8:51 PM colesdad

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2205 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.