United States
46F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 14m 44s
Overall Rank = 46/716
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/48
Pre-race routine:

I came into this with my best training set ever. My HM time from 4 weeks ago said that a solid PR was very doable. I told my wife that she should be at the finish line at 10:15, 3:15 after race start, but I'd be happy with anything sub 3:20.

Got up at 4:34am, 1 minute before my alarm. Ate some oatmeal and a banana at the hotel breakfast that they opened early for we runners. Someone came into the breakfast area and announced that the bus was here. I got up quickly, and my thigh jammed right into the corner of the table for an excellent charley horse. Nice little additional challenge for the day.

The bus takes us up to the race start, which was just magnificent. A country road, illuminated by some floodlights, a full moon, and the brightening sky in the east. Porta' potty line was only 5 min, tossed my drop bag into the right numbered window on the school bus (excellent organization), double knotted my shoes and before I knew it, it was 1 min to the gun.
Event warmup:

none to speak of. some light jogging for a few hundred yards
Run
  • 3h 14m 44s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Temps were perfect. Mid 40's. Almost no wind. Jumped in next to the 3:15 pacer, which did put me in the right spot. I didn't have to avoid too many people, nor did I seem to get in the way of others. The race starts off with a steep downhill. I was dreading this part, figuring that it would be a quad destruction zone- but instead- I just loved it. It was great to be waltzing down the hill at an effortless 6:30 pace. But then a few uphills showed themselves, and I was already seeing my HR too high, plus- I had left the 3:15 pacer in the dust. Oops. Felt great- but I figured I'd be paying for that a little later.

We were all sorting ourselves out on the course, and the scenery the first few miles was just magnificent. The sun cracked the horizon at mile 2, and lit up the rocks, with a full moon setting in the west. Hard not to have a smile on your face. It was still the early miles, and I felt fresh; happy; enjoying the run. I knew this would change.

Started taking calories early. Popped a couple caffeine laden shot blocks in the early miles, and I had a 10oz water bottle on my hip, so I could drink at my leisure. The amphipod belt was annoying to run with, but handy to have water, bloks, gels and my phone with me, that was playing 180bpm cadence music. I grabbed cups at the aid stations and re-filled it as necessary.

I was pacing for a 3:12 at this point, knowing the hills would slow me down later. After 5 miles the 3:15 group was surrounding me. While I do tend to chat people up that I'm running next to- I hate getting boxed in so I eased away from them, and after 6 miles, entered the 4mi easy downhill along the highway. Less scenic and some cars going by, and runners were spaced out nicely.

At 10mi there's an out and back detour on the Biosphere 2 road. Way more of a hill than I was expecting. 2 miles of pretty steep climbing. I let my HR go up a little, but also let others pass me- trying to keep the effort reigned in. I found that I tended to pass more people on the downhills, and get passed on the uphills. From my perspective- they're all doing it wrong. Keep the intensity the same and let the pace drop off. On the steeper sections, I was slowing down to nearly a 9min/mi.

The turnaround was just shy of mile 12, and about 175ft of climbing in that stretch. Crossed the 13.1 marker at 1:36, which seemed about right. Given the course, I wasn't going to be negative splitting this one.

Mile 14, the pain started in. My left calf, for some reason, just wanted to cramp up on me. It was hurting, and I knew this would only get worse. My right quad- from the morning's table bump, was still sore, but it didn't seem to be slowing me down. Right hip was getting tight as well- probably due to running on the left side of the road and being continuously off kilter.

At this point, there's a nice downhill stretch for 5 miles, where I was fairly comfortably holding a 7:15-7:20 pace. This is when I started having those... only 12 more miles, only 10 more miles. Each mile starting to get harder and harder. My wife and daughter would be stationed at just after mile 19- and I got to see them there. The cheering really helps, told them I loved them and kept on moving.

By this time, a lot of the enjoyable downhill is behind you, and the road undulates, with some rising sections. It was hard to look down and see that my pace was often 7:40, but that's about all that was in the tank. Saw my family again at 21, and things were hurting pretty good by this point. They drove alongside me for a bit- that was fun, but smiling and talking I added a little extra intensity that I didn't really have to spare. 22-1/2 starts the climb of the last hill. It's not long, but there's a few hundred yards were it gets really steep. Gave up quite a bit of time here, but HR was right at LT and there wasn't much more to give. The backside of that steep climb.... was even steeper. Too steep to really pick up the pace for a while.

Anyway- after that was all over, it was getting harder and harder to hold pace. If I wanted to go sub-3:15, I would need to get my pace back to 7:25/mi, and by this point, there wasn't much downhill to assist. Anything faster than an 8min/mi felt just killer.

The 3:15 pacer showed up right next to me.... with not a soul around him. He was running solo, but both his and my watch said the same thing. We needed to hold a 7:25 (which he was running) in order to slide in under the 3:15 wire. With 2 miles to go, I let my HR rise about LT and into the danger zone. Wasn't sure how long I could hold it, and really didn't think I could, but there's something about passing that 25 mile marker that gives you a little boost. HR was bumping right up against my max, for those last few hundred yards, but once I turned the final corner, saw the time on the big clock and the distance left- I knew I had it by a few seconds. Crossed the finish line feeling pretty darn good, considering.
Post race
Warm down:

Post race I had a little bit of a problem. I got very lightheaded and dizzy. Spoke to the race doc, who I happen to know, and he said that I needed to lay down with my legs raised for 10 min or so, so off to the medical tent I hobbled. It worked. Ate, drank, and picked up my hardware- a 3rd place age group award. Handed to me by none other than the famed ultra marathoner and RD, Pam Reid.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-12-08 12:00 AM
Running
03:14:44 | 26.2 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/48
Overall: 46/716
Performance: Good
Course: The steep down at the beginning felt great, but then there's a bunch of up before you get out onto route 77 at mile 6. A sweet decline 4mi down the highway to gently aid your pace, without being pounding. That's not true for the mile 10-13 section detour towards the Biosphere2, which is pretty good climb. And, of course I didn't realize it, but even coming back from that hill- there were some uphills. 14-19 is all a nice downhill. A short but steep climb at 22.5- the worst part of which is the steep downhill on the backside of it- which I didn't find runnable at that stage of the race. Then just a slight drop to the finish. Yeah- there's 1800 feet of descent in there, but the 450-500ft of climbing slows you down as much as the downhill speeds you up. It's a moderately fast course- but don't count on a lot of help from the course in the end. A lower altitude, flat course would probably be faster.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-12-08 4:47 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Tucson Marathon

2014-12-08 5:03 PM
in reply to: #5073086

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Tucson Marathon

Great race! Spot on comments about how "fast" people thing this course is too. Every year I have this conversation with friends that they'd be better served to run something more flat and lower. That moon in the west was just absolutely amazing!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tucson Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Holualoa Tucson Marathon

Started by jchyte
Views: 1546 Posts: 4

2007-12-10 4:54 PM jcjsc00

Holualoa Tucson Marathon

Started by etknowles
Views: 1353 Posts: 4

2007-12-05 9:51 AM AZchica

Holualoa Tucson Marathon

Started by sfraleyiii
Views: 2053 Posts: 3

2007-12-05 3:31 PM dryheave

Holualoa Tucson Marathon

Started by WaterDog66
Views: 3562 Posts: 24

2008-01-08 7:56 AM aarondavidson

Holualoa Tucson Marathon

Started by jonmking
Views: 756 Posts: 1

2007-07-10 6:38 PM jonmking
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.
date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!