General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cool (scary?) physiology caught on computrainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-08 5:15 PM

New user

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Cool (scary?) physiology caught on computrainer
I love physiology so I thought this was interesting. I was having a rough time warming up on a recent ride. I kept getting episodes of GI reflux followed by weakness in my legs. Had a couple episodes before I got off my bike because I saw the following on my racermate screen: a fantastic representation of what was happening physiologically to me... (photo following)

Red - heart rate.
Light blue - wattage
Yellow/green lines - speed and cadence

Reflux then HR drops/legs go heavy and everything tries to compensate... wattage drops, then HR climbs and speed and cadence drop. Recovery shortly after.

24 hours later, I was in bed sick for a week with the flu. I swear training is the best predictor of oncoming illness.

(photo (7).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo (7).JPG (152KB - 5 downloads)

2014-12-08 7:30 PM
in reply to: embot

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Cool (scary?) physiology caught on computrainer
I'd say that is more scary than cool. There is nothing physiologically normal about an abrupt drop in HR like that then an abrupt rise, as opposed to a gradual drop or rise.

This could have been an episode of a non-perfusing arrhythmia (abnormal heart beat limiting blood flow out of the heart). which could be triggered by reflux...or you may have experienced the same sensation of reflux when it was really your heart. The espophagus and heart are adjacent to one another and share the same sensory nerves.

Go see your doctor and take this photo with you.
2014-12-08 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I would go see a cardiologist asap.

2014-12-08 8:02 PM

New user

Ottawa, Ontario
Got a clean bill of health 3 weeks ago... other than low blood pressure. I was thinking vasovagal reflex. But ya - seeing the doc shortly and will have this with me. Who needs a Holter monitor when you have a HRM recording this? My HRM does drop off or half read from time to time but the before and after effects are accurate.
em
2014-12-08 8:43 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Yeah, could be vasovagal...but the rebound is not instantaneous like yours is showing...it's gradual.

Why a holter monitor? Because you need to see the rhythm, not just the rate! Is this a drop out of the HRM ? A false reading? An arrhythmia? The rhythm strip will tell all the answers. I'd convince your doctor to approve you to wear it while doing some of your normal activities to try and capture this event, assuming a 24 hour is normal.

Thanks for sharing and let us know what turns up!

BTW, these sorts of things occur often and are rarely captured. if it's something "real" it's your lucky day!
2014-12-08 10:18 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
Ok, that is actually really awesome. I can always tell oncoming sickness based on training the few days before... I can also tell the few days after a night of too much wine.... much like what tomorrow and the days after will show.

2014-12-09 3:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Or your HRM had a quick crap out, you saw the HR plunge, lost focus, dropped cadence a bit, then fought against ERG to get back in line.

I say this because the HR plot was flat, dropped instantly, remained flat, rose instantly, maintained flat at the exact same level as before.

The coincidence with flu is just a funny fluke.

EDIT: Here is a trainer Z2 ride: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/646434872At 32 and 56, did I have a cardiac episode or wonkiness in the HRM? I didn't notice the first one, but did see it the second time. I looked down and sure enough, I could see the blinky light escaping from the scosche HRM. So I tightened it down a bit, and had no further problems. Even though this HRM is WAY better than any chest straps I used, it still occasionally has a similar issue, if not the same cause.

Edited by dfroelich 2014-12-09 3:36 AM
2014-12-09 6:33 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

well that's terrifying.  i had some similar stuff happen about a year ago and my coach almost pulled me from any intense training until i saw a doctor.  turned out it was just the HRM acting up in conjunction with a poor ANT+ connection using TrainerRoad.  i'd get to the bottom of this. 

2014-12-09 6:57 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

New user

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by dfroelich

Or your HRM had a quick crap out, you saw the HR plunge, lost focus, dropped cadence a bit, then fought against ERG to get back in line.

I say this because the HR plot was flat, dropped instantly, remained flat, rose instantly, maintained flat at the exact same level as before.

Absolutely. The first two times this happened - I thought it was all connection with the HRM. Happens all the time. The third time I 'hiccuped' my legs got heavy and my cadence really drops then I played catch up. I have low BP so sometimes I get dizzy spells which also might account for this - got disoriented, shifted in my seat, lost connection then played catch up with Wattage/cadence.
The main thing was that I didn't feel well at the same time - so got off shortly after.

I did a FTP test last January with my coach and it went horribly. 72 hours later, I was diagnosed with pneumonia and off for 3 weeks.
2014-12-09 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I check my pulse every morning when I wake up (low 50s). One morning it was mid 60s. I felt fine. Just thought it was odd. Continued to train. Next day upper 60s. Felt fine. Woke up the next day and I felt like crap. Went to the doc and I had the flu. The heart beat is an awesome thing.
2015-02-05 7:39 PM

New user

Ottawa, Ontario
Quick followup for those interested (a bit late)
Mystery solved:

I'm pregnant!

Getting lots of reflux, dizzy spells, heart palpitations and occ skipped beats plus pretty low BP - 90/50 most recently. I've been assured this is all legit and normal.

I also happened to be getting sick at the same time this was recorded - so lots of reasons.

2015-02-05 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Hey hey, congrats!
Looking at the pic again, I am certain that the HR drop is artifact. Your HR cannot simply drop so suddenly like that and rebound just as quickly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cool (scary?) physiology caught on computrainer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Are computrainer videos still useful without actual computrainer?

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1145 Posts: 6

2012-09-03 5:26 PM marcag

The physiology of athletic conditioning Pages: 1 2

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 2029 Posts: 28

2010-03-05 3:42 PM crazyquick23

Physiology of hard supra-threshold intervals Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 4611 Posts: 36

2009-01-15 4:46 PM AdventureBear

Endurance Physiology Question