General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike to perform Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-08 8:51 PM

Subject: Bike to perform
Hi expert!
I just finished my first 70.3 and now I'm planning to go for full IM.
I used a route bike and now I want a decent Tri bike. For what I've read it seems like Cervelo P2 is the entry level choice for many people, but I wonder what are the other options for a 3k budget.
Thanks in advanced!
Elvis

2014-12-09 8:41 AM
in reply to: Ecartaya

User image

Richland, Washington
Subject: RE: Bike to perform
I actually have this as a copy paste at this point....

Go get a bike fit then determine what bike that fits your body will fit your budget. Yes, there are some pretty spiffy looking bike out there, get the one that fits you the best. Your hours in the saddle will feel much better if the bike is an extension of your body.
2014-12-09 8:09 PM
in reply to: Swimaway

Thanks!
What kind of things should I consider when fitting? I mean, I will test the bike for some minutes, what are the main questions to ask and main point to check?
2014-12-09 9:33 PM
in reply to: Ecartaya

User image

Richland, Washington
Hello again!
A bike fit is done by a bike fitter. Most bike shops should be able to refer you to one. They generally measure
1. Hamstring flexibility and range
2. Hip flexion
3. Internal and external rotation of the knee/hip
4. Shoulder width
5. Foot evaluation
6. Iscial tuberosity (sit-bone) width
7. Core strength

Here's a great article on buying a bike
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/features/buyabike.html
2014-12-09 9:47 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
I should also mention that article is really, really old. Lol.

Here's more on bike fitting

http://masterbikefitters.com/how-to-buy-a-new-bike/bike-first-vs-fi...
2014-12-10 5:47 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Well, a proper bike fit goes quite a bit further than measurements…

Look at the components of a bike fit… First the interview (where frankly you end up spending the most time since it is the most important part of the fit), where the fitter understands YOU; athletic background, cycling background, current goals, future goals, distances you train/race, terrain, current/prior injuries/issues, etc. etc. etc. The more information you can give, the better the fit will be.

The you have the strength and flexibility part, where core strength, strength of certain muscle groups, muscle balance, flexibility of joints and muscles are measured.

After that, you get to the body measurement, upper/lower body, upper leg/lower leg, arm, torso, and most important, discrepancies between left/right side of any measurement.

After which comes the dynamic fit, where you spend time on the bike or on a fit bike, looking for body movement and efficiency.

Commonly a bike fitting sessions taken 2-3 hours (and I've had one take 4hrs…) plus the follow-up after a few months (after adapting to the fit, where you tweak the final details).

It can't overstated how important the FITTER is, not the tools being used. There's always discussions on Retul, Guru fit (which was purchased by Cannondale if memory serves me right), Specialized Body Geometry fit, etc. etc. What it always comes down to is how well the fitter knows how to use these tools and how well he/she understands YOU.

2014-12-10 1:49 PM

Thx!
2014-12-10 1:51 PM
in reply to: audiojan

Thx!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike to perform Rss Feed