General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why not at 50? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-12-08 9:17 PM

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
Subject: Why not at 50?
I have a question. I am 260 lbs, father of 3 very athletic boys, former XC runner in college and about to turn 50 next summer. Every time I start training ( this will be my third try), life gets in the way. I enjoy training, but something always comes up, usually work. My question is, Does anyone have any thoughts about training for a 70.1 within the next 8 months, as my first tri. I currently run about 3 miles 4x a week at 14 min pace. I am signed up for the NYC tri ( which is an olympic) in august. My club, Asphalt Green in New York City has a 24 week half program that will start on January 3 ( see link below). I am just thinking that this kind of structure would be most helpful to me. The guy that is running it, is well aware of my current situation, and he is an amazing coach. Do I think it would be easy, No. Do I think I can spare all that time, No. Do I want to do this, YES. Any thought would be very welcomed.

http://www.agtri.com/half-ironman-team/

2014-12-08 9:55 PM
in reply to: Caljah

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Why not at 50?
Welcome. Life always tries to get in the way. Stay determined. A co worker of mine worked with a program at Asphalt with great success before his first Oly. He wasn't ever a swimmer before he started that program. Where in Brooklyn are you? I'm in the Marine Park area. I'd safely say that consistency of diet and training going to be huge for any success.
2014-12-08 10:01 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
I am in Bed Stuy. Thanks for the encouraging words. Trying to be consistent. Thats why I thought being committed to a group would be good for me.
2014-12-09 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I agree that being on a team as well as having planned workouts will help keep you focused!  Life is always there, lurking, trying to fill up all of the free time.  However, if you make your health and fitness a priority, you will likely have more energy for the other things, so it is win-win!

Also, I would recommend you train for a 70.3, as a 70.1 will leave you just a tad bit frustrated when you stop before the finish line.....  

Good luck on your endeavors....it is possible....I've done some 70.3s as well as other huge events in my years, with little kids and busy life.....it is worth it.

2014-12-09 7:20 PM
in reply to: Medusa_Ann

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
Leslie

LOL, yes "70.3". Thanks. I so want to get back into shape. I don't need a thing, since I am a gadget head to get going. Went out for my run today, and all I can think about was how good it felt. That was today, lets see about tomorrow.

I could use all the help here, so anyone else.
2014-12-10 5:23 PM

Pretty much the same boat as you. Didnt run in college, but was into fitness and have done a few half M and ridden a bunch of casual centuries.

Fell off the wagon for 18 months and just got back on last monday.

I just turned 50 as well.

All I can say is you are way more ambitious than I am. I am just shooting for a sprint sometime in spring.

Doing a 6 day a week program (the couch to spring progam here) and in week two, I feel both elated, and tired as crap.

I struggle on my runs and logged my first three miles in a whopping 41 minutes.....was just a bit of walking in there

I want to lose about 40 lbs and we will see from there.

Love biking, can tolerate running, and am trying not to drown in the 4 foot deep pool currently

Good luck with your mission, and maybe I can follow along.

2014-12-10 5:42 PM
in reply to: Vesteroid

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

It also helps to record your workouts here on BT in your log.  Besides being a good way to keep track, you can see the weekly graphs of your efforts.  Plus, if you opt to use one of the BT plans it will also fill in planned workouts.  AND people on here can check in on you!  

2014-12-11 9:08 AM
in reply to: Medusa_Ann

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I am very pro running but remember swimming and biking is your friend. Bike trainers can be long and boring but you can also use it as your chance to do something else at the same time. I really gotten into a phone game with my friends. I found its a great way to also pass the time on a trendmill. If I am going to play for a bike I get myself on the trendmill and play.
2014-12-11 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Sure you can.  I just turned 50 and completed B2B (a 140.6) in October.  

If you want to do this, you'll have to find time and make training a priority.  Yes, life will still get in the way, but you'll need at least a few 2+ hour blocks dedicated to biking or running.  

Group training has both advantages and disadvantages.  Be prepared to train on your own in case you miss the group workouts.  

2014-12-11 6:23 PM
in reply to: Vesteroid

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
Vesteroid

Thanks for the good words. Thinking about this all the time now. just got back from my 3 mile run. and it was great. I kept thinking about this forum.

what would I say!
2014-12-11 6:32 PM

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
I have a couple of thoughts, lets see what people think.

1) I am going to start a blog, thanks leslie for the Idea. Its a way to keep myself honest in front of a group of people.

2) I am thinking about starting a blog call "good math: 50=70.3" Thoughts?

3) I joined the Half IM program at my club, we start January 2, i am now training to be in shape to train!

Thanks so much

2014-12-11 7:27 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Caljah

I have a couple of thoughts, lets see what people think.

1) I am going to start a blog, thanks leslie for the Idea. Its a way to keep myself honest in front of a group of people.

2) I am thinking about starting a blog call "good math: 50=70.3" Thoughts?

3) I joined the Half IM program at my club, we start January 2, i am now training to be in shape to train!

Thanks so much

You've got fans out here, keep it up. Maybe one day we meet up for a run
2014-12-13 8:20 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
Yesterday swam for 40 mins, felt great.

Today ran ( embarrassingly slow for 1 hour), I think a 5 year old playing with her parents ran past me! But I did not stop, going to try and jump on the bike tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback. The support is great, and I feel like i am accountable to people.
2014-12-15 7:08 PM

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
Yesterday day off.

Today ran/walked 5k course in 39:14

As alway, the first mile sucked, My mind is in much better shape than my body (11:17), I am thinking that I should start making these 4 miles and warming up for the first mile. miles two (25:12) and 3 (39:14), where much better. picked up a HR monitor/watch today, the Fenix 2. I am sure there is a good Youtube clip on instructions.

Goal for the week is 15 miles or 3 hr of running and swim two 40 mins swims.

Thanks for reading. Comments always welcomed
2014-12-16 7:49 PM

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
i hear people taking about running in the rain and loving it. well it was raining hear this evening and i did not love it, but it was not bad at all. ran 47 mins about 3 miles.
2014-12-16 9:47 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
It sounds like you've got a great start so far with your training.

Have you considered trying a sprint or Olympic distance for your first one? Perhaps building up to the HIM? It may make those life-intrusions less bothersome if you can fall back, if needed, to,a shorter distance.

I only do sprints, so far, but I've heard from others that they're glad they tried shorter distances before stepping up to the longer distances.

Good luck!!

2014-12-17 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Caljah Yesterday swam for 40 mins, felt great. Today ran ( embarrassingly slow for 1 hour), I think a 5 year old playing with her parents ran past me!  Made a 5-year-old and her parents work hard to pass me.  But I did not stop, going to try and jump on the bike tomorrow. Thanks for all the feedback. The support is great, and I feel like i am accountable to people.

Fixed that for you!  

Pssst...don't make excuses for what you do.  Put a positive spin on it instead.  

2014-12-17 10:25 PM
in reply to: Maniton

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
Today

swim for 40 mins

Scott

Thanks for the feed back. yes plan to do a sprint in may and Oly in June.

2014-12-17 10:29 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
Mike. THANKS.

You are SOOOO right.

Today

Plan Swim 40 mins.

Actual: Swam 40 mins. Pushed the last 10 mins.

2015-01-05 1:17 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Caljah Mike. THANKS. You are SOOOO right. Today Plan Swim 40 mins. Actual: Swam 40 mins. Pushed the last 10 mins.

Just another voice. I didn't start until I was 50 that was a few years ago. Just keep going! Along with logging your trainning (I use BT's logs, as do lots of folks here), you may want to join one of the mentor groups. They are a good way to get daily feedback and get questions asked from a smaller group of folks here. 

I'll see you in the Hudson this summer. I will be there, look towards the back of the pack.

2015-01-05 6:38 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
So I have been doing it and doing it. Easy not always, but so what. This coming friday I start my training with Asphalt green tri club, raining for a half iron this summer.

Am I excited? very much so, Am I concerned? Very much so. I have to dig down inside and find the resolve not to let anything stop me from, when life gets in the way, i have to find a work around and keep training.

I have to make "just do It"

2015-01-06 9:50 PM
in reply to: 0

Hey Scott,

Enjoyed reading through your thread! Congrats and keep it up.

I've got a few years on ya, (61) I'm also 6'6" and 260- pretty evenly distributed, no spare tire, etc. When I'm starting a race, its pretty funny because I'm easily the biggest dude in a group of 10,000 people at the start line. I can be all the way in back and still see up to the front.

I totally relate to the emotions you're having, and just reading about them is getting me all geeked up again. My wife doesn't understand.

Two years ago, I was running the Detroit Freep Marathon and I blew out my right knee. Finished the race, went to the doc for surgery. When I told the doc about it, he just about turned white...you did what??? On a bad knee??? What's funny is that he brought in a group of other docs to my room just before I was going into surgery, and he introduces me as the guy I was telling you about who screwed up his knee running a marathon, and still finished the race. And they're all going, "ooooohhh". I was wondering if they were gonna ask for autographs.

So anyway this knee ever since 1.5 years has really caused me a lot of problems, and I haven't run 30 feet during that time sadly. I really miss it a lot. Doc says the knee is in pristine condition, so I'm cleared to go....

Anyway, you're inspiring me. Think I'll start by doing a lot of stretching exercises for the next week before I get on a treadmill.

I'll compare notes with you.

Good luck.

Edited by Talltom2 2015-01-06 9:52 PM
2015-01-19 1:20 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Caljah Yesterday day off. Today ran/walked 5k course in 39:14 As alway, the first mile sucked, My mind is in much better shape than my body (11:17), I am thinking that I should start making these 4 miles and warming up for the first mile. miles two (25:12) and 3 (39:14), where much better. picked up a HR monitor/watch today, the Fenix 2. I am sure there is a good Youtube clip on instructions. Goal for the week is 15 miles or 3 hr of running and swim two 40 mins swims. Thanks for reading. Comments always welcomed

DC Rainmaker knows his stuff when it comes to gadgets.  Here's the link http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/garmin-fenix2-multisport.html for some info on the Fenix 2.  Be sure to look down the left hand side for any particular topics you want to learn about for your watch.

Best of luck to you on your quest for a 70.3!  I know this is totally trite and corny, but believing in yourself takes a person a long way toward his/her goal.  Positive thinking can be a wonderous thing.

2015-01-19 2:20 PM
in reply to: #5073173

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
So into week two of my training. There are about 16 of us. Great mix of all types of people, bodies and conditioning. Workouts are for now as my coach says, training to train. Workouts are basic, but effective and developmentally building me up. Example, on Saturday, we ran. What is great about it, is that it's been indoors. Learning how to run, from the most basic point of view like how to tie up your sneakers properly, going though all kinds of different stretches. Fast feet, foot landing. It seems as we are not doing much, but we are in zone 2 for about 50 mins. Another example is swimming, I have always thought of myself as an ok swimmer. But after 3 sessions, I realize, how inefficient I have been. Learning how to swim all over again. It's humbling, my younger son is on the Swim team and its a lot of conversations lately about how much they work. Riding has been the hardest so far, 1:20 mins on the stationary with the class, as my coach keeps saying. This is not spin class. Focusing on high Rpm, lose upper body. Proper riding position, where are you elbows and so on. Lastly strength training major part of everything we are doing.

Overall I am enjoying myself and learning how to appreciate the journey.

By the way, I am down to 252lbs
2015-01-19 2:31 PM
in reply to: #5085004

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
Melanie

Very helpful, thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why not at 50? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Why do skinny people run so fast?

Started by eodmed
Views: 6534 Posts: 12

2012-04-13 11:50 PM theresa_nelson

Why do you Tri? Pages: 1 2

Started by threeguitars
Views: 6813 Posts: 48

2010-04-28 2:08 PM 4mebobpandtay

25 meter pool vs 50 meter pool

Started by twiggypants
Views: 19297 Posts: 20

2010-03-14 2:15 PM bootygirl

Ever wonder why you still do it?

Started by chirunner134
Views: 2120 Posts: 16

2007-12-10 10:48 PM jchughes66

ANy tri bike shoes 50 or 52?

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1735 Posts: 10

2007-08-27 12:23 AM lasvegas99
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".