Avon, New Jersey
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 21m 7s
Overall Rank = 2/
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Ran to the site w/k. We planned on doing the race and running home since it was only ~1mi. from Karen/Mike's but we got there so early to sign up that we had a ton of time. It was freezing so we ran back home and then drove to the site. Did a few pickups after the few easy miles w/k.
Run
  • 21m 7s
  • 3.6 miles
  • 05m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Started near the front row. There looked to be some other decent runners, but I can usually hang for the first bit and since it was a boardwalk start with no timing chips, I needed to be up near the start.
I took the lead immediately and settled in. Another older guy came along side me and the two of us opened a gap. After 1/2mi. or so we went up over the drawbridge and then back onto the boardwalk. With all the rain it was quite slick and he started complaining as our feet slid. It wasn't slippery as in dangerous, but your feet would squeak and slide out behind you as you ran so you had to concentrate to push off 100%. He jumped off the boardwalk onto the road and worried he would pull away, I followed after a bit and jumped on his shoulder.

We ran side by side to the turn around at the arch and then most of the way back. I was not holding back, but also not in trouble of falling off. I was deciding when to make my move when a 3rd runner up on the boardwalk started to pull even with us. All 3 of us came together when we went up and over the bridge. Almost immediately, gaps opened up as the new guy pulled away and I dropped the original runner.

That's how it finished up all the way to the finish for a 2nd OA place. Unfortunately awards were only 1 deep, so I didn't get a pie. Still a great run though and happy to see someone who stayed on the boards the whole run win it.

Post race
Warm down:

Ran a bit with K and cheered on others. Then went back to house for Thanksgiving and the eagles!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

be in better shape?

Event comments:

Good first time local race. Nothing fancy, but low key and fun.

Last updated: 2014-12-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:07 | 03.6 miles | 05m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back south along ocean
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-12-09 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Avon Pond

2014-12-11 1:25 PM
in reply to: #5073379

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: RE: Avon Pond
SPEEDY!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Avon Pond Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bradford on Avon Sprint Triathlon

Started by adsvil
Views: 583 Posts: 1

2011-05-24 9:49 AM adsvil

Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

Started by Ontherun
Views: 1032 Posts: 2

2010-06-11 8:09 PM KOM

Cyclosportif L’avalanche de Vallee d’Avon

Started by eurydice79
Views: 926 Posts: 2

2009-07-27 4:11 AM daisymouse

Lums Pond Triathlon

Started by Martinivixen
Views: 2334 Posts: 4

2005-08-18 3:45 PM TRIBMAC

Lums Pond Triathlon

Started by Dtraining
Views: 1681 Posts: 4

2005-08-16 3:24 PM Dtraining
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 0
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.