General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman and Ultramarathon Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-10 7:22 AM

Subject: Ironman and Ultramarathon Training
Hi everyone I am registered for IM Florida 2015- my second full distance. I am also thinking of doing a 50 miler next September... Currently training for my first 50k in Jan. I have a pretty strong running base- just did Pensacola Marathon last month in sub 4hrs, my sixth marathon.
I am wondering if training for an ultra will hinder or enhance my IM training. Has anyone had success, or lack of, doing both?
Thanks!

2014-12-10 2:21 PM
in reply to: jaime_runs

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman and Ultramarathon Training

I did my 50-miler 10 weeks before IMCdA in 2009.  

Which is more important to you, IMFL or the 50-miler?  In my case, I did the 50-miler as a training day, figuring if I could still run 11 hours into a day of running, I could run 11 hours into a day that started with a 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike ride.  I was prepared to DNF the 50-miler if I felt continuing would jeopardize IMCdA and thankfully didn't need to do that.  

How much time is between the two races?  (The end of September is only about 6 weeks before IMFL...)  The quality of your training for a month or so after the 50-miler will suffer.  Will the run be early enough that you can get a couple good weeks of that final build phase before you start tapering?  

2014-12-10 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I think it's too close to IMFL for it to make any sense.  The recovery hole you'll be in after the 50 miler will linger for a few weeks, and those are the precious few weeks prior to IMFL.  Having trained for 8 Ironman races it's my opinion that weeks 3-8 prior to the IM are the most important weeks.

2014-12-13 4:53 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
To run 50 in September, you'll need a lot of time running long in July and August. Sounds miserable to me! I'd suggest focusing on the IM, and look for a winter or spring 50-miler so you can do those long runs when it's a little cooler outside.
2014-12-13 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Commerce, Georgia
I'v never completed a 50 mile run but could imagine there would be a lot of walking in there.. Making it a training long run with the walking in there, I think would boost you mentally for a long day in Florida and am sure you will be walking some of that marathon after 112 on the bike...Go for it!
2014-12-13 7:19 PM

I did an IM and a 50 miler this year, but the timing was better, not ideal but better. If you run a 50 in September and do an IM in November you will be running the 50 where you should be peaking your IM training. If anything, run the 50 off of your current marathon fitness as early in the year as possible. Then dial back on running during early IM training and focus on swim/bike. Pick the running back up with enough time to safely build to what you want your peak volume to be during the IM training.

2014-12-14 6:11 AM

Thanks for all the great input! I think you are all right, when it comes to the races being so close together. Having to recover after the 50 miler will make my IM training suffer, and I feel like I wouldn't be able to give 100% to either. I think I could finish them both, but not feel good about my times or effort in training. Plus all that running during the summer....... I'm going to look into a spring race instead. Thanks again. Merry Christmas!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman and Ultramarathon Training Rss Feed