of 2

2014-12-11 8:23 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Clueless people on the bike path
Originally posted by Jason N

What you are describing is a multi use path.  Meaning, it was made specifically for joggers, walkers, roller bladers, people walking their dogs, and otherwise clueless people....along with bikes.  A path made for all those type of people is not going to be a great place to train.  As the person passing, it is up to you to do so safely.  Nobody needs to yield to you just because you call out, ring a bell, etc.  They have just as much right to the path as you do, and they have every right to feel that you should yield to them by moving off the path out of their way.  I'm not saying that's what they should do...but there are generally no rules for a MUP, so don't expect any to be followed.

I do ride on a MUP everyday on my commute to work.  But I understand that I am just one of many users and my commute is no more important that the old lady I see everyday pushing a stroller full of bird seed with her two dogs leashed to it.  She takes up the entire path as she feeds the birds...but who's to say that she's not entitled to.  I slow down, sometimes ride off the path, and go on my way.  

Think of it as no different than trying to ride on sidewalk.

100% MUP is a terrible training venue.

2014-12-11 8:24 PM
in reply to: jsrsy

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Our MUP has a 20km/h limit and its radar patrolled.
2014-12-11 8:26 PM
in reply to: jsrsy

User image

Master
The clueless people are the ones who use multi-use paths for their training session yelling at the casual users expecting them to get out of the way and acknowledged them as they pass. Share the roads and paths.
2014-12-12 1:21 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Originally posted by simpsonbo

Our MUP has a 20km/h limit and its radar patrolled.

20km limit?
I could train away there. Unless it's downhill!
2014-12-12 1:44 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jeng

I hear your rant. Sorry! I'm not even sure you are talking about multi-use paths. We have bike paths here with walkers all over them, so I feel your pain.

There's a few training rides here that people do on MUPs, the Seymour demonstration forest is one. It's a great out and back and really fun to train on, but you have to be really careful, especially around the blind corners. A couple of years back, a rollerblader crossed to the wrong side, met a cyclist head on and the cyclist died there. So while I do enjoy the Seymour Demonstration Forest and a few other multi-use path training rides, I always err on the side of caution. It doesn't mean that I don't like to rant about it sometimes though.

We also have lots of bike paths/multi-use paths that you must use in some areas. Bikes are not allowed on the roadway. I yell loudly to pass. It seems to work the best.

I went on a group ride from Portland once and we had a large group really flying down a heavily used multi-use path. That was quite frightening. 

Seymour is awesome. It was one of my favorite things about Vancouver when I lived there. I wish all MUPs were that wide and beautiful, and with just as many baby fish at the end

2014-12-12 3:00 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Regular
Originally posted by jhaack39

One day, if I happen to run over a dog, I'm not going to feel bad about it. I'll probably even send the owners a card every year to help them celebrate the death anniversary of their cherished dog that they caused. All dogs bark. All dogs lose it and do dumb things. Except, I suppose for superbly trained service dogs. But their owners are trained too.

M

I'll take my dogs over people like you anyday, anytime, all the time. Its wannabe's like you that give normal people a bad name.

2014-12-12 3:02 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Pro

Originally posted by hessma
Originally posted by jhaack39 One day, if I happen to run over a dog, I'm not going to feel bad about it. I'll probably even send the owners a card every year to help them celebrate the death anniversary of their cherished dog that they caused. All dogs bark. All dogs lose it and do dumb things. Except, I suppose for superbly trained service dogs. But their owners are trained too. M
I'll take my dogs over people like you anyday, anytime, all the time. Its wannabe's like you that give normal people a bad name.

I'm pretty sure he's not a wannabe dog owner.

2014-12-12 3:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Are people really this dumb? Lets use some logic:
1) MUP are used by senior citizens, kids, dog walkers, roller bladers, joggers, runners
2) Average speed of the majority of people using MUP is roughly 3-4 MPH
3) OP rides his bike at a conservative pace of 16 MPH
4) Not good at math, but that is roughly 12 MPH (4x) faster than the majority of people on the MUP
5) Again, not good at math, but that would be the equivalent of doing 100 MPH on the city streets and weaving in and out of traffic doing 25 mph
6) Now, I ask, who is the clueless one?

Edited by hessma 2014-12-12 3:09 PM
2014-12-12 3:54 PM
in reply to: jeng

Originally posted by jeng

I hear your rant. Sorry! I'm not even sure you are talking about multi-use paths. We have bike paths here with walkers all over them, so I feel your pain.

There's a few training rides here that people do on MUPs, the Seymour demonstration forest is one. It's a great out and back and really fun to train on, but you have to be really careful, especially around the blind corners. A couple of years back, a rollerblader crossed to the wrong side, met a cyclist head on and the cyclist died there. So while I do enjoy the Seymour Demonstration Forest and a few other multi-use path training rides, I always err on the side of caution. It doesn't mean that I don't like to rant about it sometimes though.

We also have lots of bike paths/multi-use paths that you must use in some areas. Bikes are not allowed on the roadway. I yell loudly to pass. It seems to work the best.

I went on a group ride from Portland once and we had a large group really flying down a heavily used multi-use path. That was quite frightening. 

Me neither. I would not assume it is a MUP. Bike path are not respected at all in Quebec. We regularly have bike paths beside walkways and people prefer walking on the bike path. The bike path has no cracks and is softer then concrete...

Still, it is not the road which must adapt to you but you who must adapt to the road. I would look for a more convenient bike path or as another poster wrote, see it as an acceleration exercise.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clueless people on the bike path Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Biking in Del Mar - Hwy 56 Bike path questions

Started by runspingirl
Views: 2575 Posts: 6

2013-10-03 6:33 PM fearlessraces

Clueless newbie needs a road/tri bike

Started by Xoccerlvr
Views: 1599 Posts: 19

2012-06-29 4:14 PM m2tx

yet another bike question from a clueless rider

Started by mjbscott
Views: 1782 Posts: 20

2011-07-15 12:56 PM noofus

need a bike, shopping locally, and clueless!

Started by chasing3
Views: 564 Posts: 3

2009-02-21 11:15 AM chasing3

Bike Paths

Started by David14
Views: 708 Posts: 6

2005-07-23 9:29 AM David14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 27, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
We often forget the Other, that person or persons living behind the doors of our individual hubris, that secreted cheerleader who polishes our medals but never wins one of their own.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.