United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 52m 3s
Overall Rank = 970/3203
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 183/500?
Pre-race routine:

Woke Up. Panic. Eat a few bites of Clif Bar and some milk, Naked Juice...More Panic
Event warmup:

Got my wetsuit on. By myself it was a warm up all its own.
Swim
  • 1h 30m 11s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was interesting since I hadn't swam since SOMA a month before. I am comfortable swimming long distances as I am a past diver, but swimming fast is different. I got a cramp in my right calf about .7 miles in. I actually felt amazing the 2nd half of the swim. I got into a groove and realized I swam the 2nd half 10 mins faster than the 1st half. Best Open water swim in a tri I have ever had. Thanks Sole Swim Solutions
What would you do differently?:

Believe in myself at the beginning. I seeded myself too far back and was passing people at a ridiculous pace toward the end.
Transition 1
  • 09m 5s
Comments:

Being my first full IM I was nervous about this. I took way too long and could have saved a few mins with zero real effort here

Again, this comes down to believing in myself and my ability to do what I know how.
Bike
  • 6h 36m 53s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew this would be a ride with people blowing out their legs and paying for it on the run, I stuck with my HR and stayed in my zone. I ignored the people I knew passing me and kept to my race. Saw Erin and the kids a few times and my buddy Patrick was out there at the lap turnaround. Made me smile when everyone was showing their misery.

I probably could have pushed a little bit harder, but I do mean a little. I was very happy with my execution on the bike leg given the conditions.
Transition 2
  • 08m 14s
Comments:

Again Ironman does an amazing job with all of this. I could have been a bit faster, but was unsure how I would feel once running.

Not much. I did take a few minutes to hit the Porta after getting dressed. If you take that time out of T2, I was smokin fast
Run
  • 4h 27m 40s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

My run was really amazing given that my run training up to the race was horribly subpar. I saw Erin and the kids and Pat right at the beginning. I was able to give Taylor a kiss on the head and it really got me ready to run. I had already told myself that I would walk all aid stations and walk the hill at Curry no matter what. My times were good and I was pretty steady hitting about 2:15 for the 1st half. I had been shooting for 11:45 finish time, but knew that was out the window with the winds that we faced on the bike leg. At that point, I had readjusted and said anything sub 13 would be acceptable. I was doing good and about mile 17, I came across a guy who was telling me to pace off of him. He had been behind me and was slowly catching me. At that point I as walking the aid stations and then maybe the middle portion of every other mile for about 30 seconds. He ran with me until we got to the curry hill again and I started walking as I promised myself I would do. In retrospect, I probably should have stuck with him, as it was a mental block, not a physical hinderance to run with him. Near the end, I saw several guys in my age group walking together and made sure I passed them with enough room to relax in the last .5 mile and enjoy the finish. There was a few other people not in my age group that I could have passed, but didn't want to steal their thunder in the chute with Mike Reilly. I came in slow and comfortable. My 7 year old son, Taylor, was in the front row and at the last second I was able to high 5 him as I went down the chute.

I could have pushed harder if I had the confidence. My run was amazing, and I was tired, but definitely not exhausted to the point that I couldn't have shaved some time. I loved my run and it was an amazing 1st IM experience.
Post race
Warm down:

I was immediately freezing! Period!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My confidence in myself.

Event comments:

I had an amazing race experience. Yes I finished over an hour slower than my goal race time, but I also finished way higher overall than if I had hit my time in conditions from the previous year. I paced well and possibly could have pushed a bit harder, but I also felt great afterwards other that being really cold. I should have brought a sweatshirt to the hotel, but didn't and that is my biggest complaint. The RWB team showed up big on this and it was another motivating factor throughout the day On another note, I should have paused for more pictures with my wife and kids during the race. They showed up from start to finish. For a 3.5 year old and a 7 year old to endure a VERY full day with Erin as the Sherpa was nothing short of a miracle. It took me nearly a month to get around to writing this, with many other things in life going on. I can only say I am BLESSED beyond comprehension and am excited to do another!

Last updated: 2014-12-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:30:11 | 4224 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 291/500?
Overall: 1699/3203
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:36:53 | 112 miles | 16.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 249/500?
Overall: 1378/3203
Wind Sucked! That is all.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Since I live locally, I knew the chances were there for this to be a super windy ride. When the 2nd half of the swim was causing chop in the water, I knew how I would approach the days riding. It was fricking windy! Something I remember about the half way point. I was passing a guy going up the Beeline, and said "Isn't it fun going 10 MPH in aero?" He looked over and replied with "You're passing me, I'm going 9!" That was the bike ride going up the Beeline in a nutshell.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:27:40 | 26.2 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 183/500?
Overall: 970/3203
144 avg for the run
Course: Just IM Arizona run
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-12-10 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Casa Grande
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2014-12-11 7:48 AM
in reply to: #5073823

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona

Nice job Ironman!  Way to stick to your own race plan! 

2014-12-11 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nice job Jason! You executed a great race in spite of some nasty winds. And negative split the swim? Bravo!!!!

You and Erin are great for each other. Because you both believe in a healthy life-style you support each other in these adventures, and pass that lifestyle on to the kids! Kudos.

2014-12-11 1:42 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle
Nice job and waits stick to the plan. Sounds like with a little more training and some confidence you can blow the next one out of the water.
2014-12-11 3:39 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Nicely raced race, Jason.  The swim sounds like you nailed it, the bike sounds like it was quite the challenge with all the wind, and you had a very solid run.  The biggest takeaway is it sounds like you had fun, and you had your family there to support you, too.  Good stuff, congrats!

2014-12-12 1:12 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Way to go, Jason!!  You did a wonderful job, enjoyed yourself and learned that you could do more than you thought.  Now that you've done one, you know what to expect next time and can prepare for it.  Even though the wind was nasty, you knew how to manage it and didn't blow out like you saw others do.  Super job!!  You know, you're a real inspiration to your family.  I love that little Mak is talking about doing a triathlon!

2014-12-12 11:42 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

You've already heard everything I have to say.

2014-12-19 12:46 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
It almost took me as long to get around to reading your report as it did for you to write it. Congratulations fella, chuffed to bits for you, it's a real accomplishment.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2

Started by tjfry
Views: 7555 Posts: 33

2006-04-13 6:25 PM tjfry

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MikeB
Views: 10672 Posts: 60

2006-04-12 11:01 AM devotchkatata

Ironman Arizona

Started by stinger
Views: 1675 Posts: 7

2005-07-09 10:57 PM cadreamer

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madcow
Views: 6488 Posts: 53

2005-04-20 11:48 AM DB8

Ironman Arizona - Tiger Phil's Story Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 7161 Posts: 74

2006-06-21 7:53 AM benihana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.
date : May 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 4
It is my opinion that even though everyone else considered her a triathlete, she did not consider herself one. I think she still felt like she had no fitness direction and had given up on triathlon.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!