General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-12 10:48 AM

User image

Subject: Swim...

I am incredibly slow swimmer compared to most...  I am about 2:40/100 or slower.... but I am gearing up to train to finish my first 70.3 in June so I am starting at the pool more...

That being said, I swam this morning just to see how many laps I could do in 60 minutes... I made it to 46.  Hoping to improve that by June with time and one-on-one coaching.  If you knew me, that is huge for me because I usually shut down at 20-25 laps since most distance I do are sprints and only a couple of Olys.

But... I am trying to rotate and glide more and I am noticing my right shoulder is sore or gets tired...  The more I try to glide it seems I get out of breathe.  Anyone else have/had this and have a drill that helps?

I downloaded TriswimCoach app to give me drills and such for training but wondered if you had experience with the issue(s).

Thanks in advance.

2014-12-12 11:03 AM
in reply to: mtsnorider

, Idaho
Subject: RE: Swim...
This might not be your issue - but make sure you're not "crossing over." This was a huge issue for me...and as I watch other lap swimmers at the pool - it's a common mistake. I know a young man who had to have shoulder surgery because of it.

The point is - make sure your right hand is entering the water to the right of your head/body. I had someone videotape me - I didn't think I was crossing over, but I was...big time. To correct it, I felt like I was unnaturally moving my arm way out to the right, but when I videotaped myself again - I was looking normal.

Again, this might not be your issue, but crossing over can cause shoulder issues over the long run.
2014-12-12 11:07 AM

User image

Exton, PA
With that pace and your shoulder getting sore, I can guarantee you have some serious flaws in your stoke.
Since you are aiming for a HIM in June you have time to stop and learn a proper stroke before starting into your HIM training. I assume your training program starts sometime in February to March.

Find yourself a good swim instructor to teach how to swim. If you can get 2 lessons a week in from now til March you will be in much better shape than swimming 5 days a week from now til then on your own.

From the little you describe your catch/pull is wrong, your most likely crossing 1 arm over your centerline when breathing causing your shoulder pain or you are pulling to far outside of your body.

Breathing - let me guess you don't exhale your air under water? There is not time when turning your head to both exhale and inhale therefore your not getting enough air.

Find an instructor and let them take you back to the beginning with basic body position and kicking. Don't worry about how many yards you are putting in while you working with the instructor just learn to swim.
2014-12-12 11:21 AM

Maybe try not to overbreathe. When I started, I was scared I would lack air and compensated by breathing big amount of air. Breathe normally.

Your capabilities will improve a lot with your technique. I see it as not fighting against yourself which is basically what you attempt to do when you glide.

Also, if you practice the dive and the turns, you will feel like you lack air regularly until you end up finding it normal. Those capacities improve as you practice. There are some drills for that. Breathe each 3, 5, 7 strokes, exaggerate your dives and turns, try to do lengths under water (never without supervision!), etc.

Can't say about the shoulder but if your technique is improper, you will work much harder. I would suggest a coach, a club or an instructor to validate what you do.

Good luck!
2014-12-12 12:24 PM

User image

Could you define what you are doing when you say glide?  Based on your pace/100 and being out of breathe I have a picture in my head of you having a pause in your stroke as you are trying to glide?  A guess would be as you are trying to glide you are lengthing your stroke which could add to shoulder soreness. 

I don't know the app you mentioned but you could also try swimsmooth.com.  I'll second or third, what ever we are up to so far.... a coach/intructor would probably be big for you at this point.

2014-12-12 12:38 PM

Someone's going to say it sooner or later, but might as well say it now - you'll get more bang for the buck now by focusing more on your 100yd pace than the total number of yards you can do per workout. 

It's somewhat different than run/cycling where volume volume volume is hugely important. Given that you're likely very technique-limited, you should focus on short timed 100s, but make constant technique fixes/adjustments to try and either get that time to steadily drop, or take less strokes per length. (Yes, beginners should know SPL, until their technique is solid enough to be power limited.

A self-video (use a waterproof camera) will be one of the highest yielding things you can do at this point. Borrow or buy a cheap waterproof camera, put it both on the deck, and on the bottom of the pool, or get a friend to help film you, and you'll see the big mistakes that you're making. (Ask here if it's not obvious to you after watching it.)

2014-12-12 6:01 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Read up on swim smooth, they've made me very aware of my excessive old school gliding. I have a few anti-momentum dead spots I have to work on from a developed bad habit of too much gliding. Take a look at your hand entry (how close is it to your head and then slowly extended out forward, then pause, then pull = glide city) I'm not an advanced coach, but you had mentioned gliding a few times in the original post, so self-analyze, it could be an issue.
2014-12-12 8:46 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Veteran
Great White North
More like 25s & 50s IMO ...
2014-12-12 8:52 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Swimming 2014: TYR Westville gala Girls 8 & U 100…: http://youtu.be/Wt54TxJ1Agw

Ok here is a perfect example of how swimming is technique driven. Watch a 7 year old swim 1.25 LCM for 100 Free.
2014-12-12 9:53 PM

User image

New user
Northwest
Recognizing and committing to focus on your weakness is an achievement in itself! I have been coaching athletes of all levels in triathlon for over 4 years and have seen many succeed. Allow yourself time (think months-years) to see major improvements but know that the learning curve is often steep in the beginning. It can be difficult to see major gains in swimming.

Regarding your shoulder, it is likely a crossing over issue. Make sure that you are not using paddles, as they will further aggravate the shoulder. To correct it, try to visualize yourself swimming with your hands entering in a "V" shape. You will feel like your arms are wide but in reality, they will likely be closer to straight ahead. Also, you may be straightening your arm underwater when breathing (your body's way of slowing you down so that you can breathe more and stay balanced) which can add pressure to the shoulder when pulling, think back to 3rd grade science with levers/fulcrums. Your goal should be what I call a "high elbow" under water, using your forearm/hand to catch and pull the water.

For your swim sets, limit the continuous swimming until your technique is improved and/or you are setting baseline pace. Take this time in the off season to frequently swim, but swim for shorter amounts of time, 20-30 minutes. Your sets are better kept short and you can even use fins to take some pressure off the shoulder. Total swim of 1200-1500 until February/March, then add more volume.

Good luck with your training.
2014-12-18 5:05 PM

User image

Thank you so much for all of your great comments.

We do have a swim coach that is actually registered for my same race and has provided personal instruction before... I will be asking for more. 

Since swimming is my greatest weakness of the three (not that any are real strengths) I will concentrate on this one for the time being.

Again, thank you and have a wonderful Holiday!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Swam Swum

Started by Robert Reynolds
Views: 1772 Posts: 12

2006-07-09 3:21 PM Robert Reynolds

Tri Swim Coach Swim Workshop 9/11/04- Denver, CO

Started by Tri Swim Coach
Views: 1031 Posts: 5

2004-08-23 11:49 AM Tri Swim Coach

How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle

Started by steven
Views: 2504 Posts: 7

2004-06-28 6:19 PM getwet

First Swim in a "Public" swim area

Started by slow&steady
Views: 1219 Posts: 9

2004-06-22 1:36 PM mikenhe

Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by steven
Views: 3525 Posts: 29

2004-05-11 4:52 AM steven
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...