General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Training Zones from VO2 Max?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-13 5:36 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Subject: HR Training Zones from VO2 Max??
I had the opportunity to be a guinea pig in a fitness study and got a free VO2 max test out of it. They didn't do the full analysis on the test but gave me a preliminary result of 52 (units?) for the test. In addition, my heart rate before I stopped was at about 204. Having these numbers, is there a way to calculate my heart rate training zones? I am sure there is but haven't used heart rate based training before. Thanks for the help!

2014-12-13 6:36 AM
in reply to: lanzodt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HR Training Zones from VO2 Max??
Originally posted by lanzodt

I had the opportunity to be a guinea pig in a fitness study and got a free VO2 max test out of it. They didn't do the full analysis on the test but gave me a preliminary result of 52 (units?) for the test. In addition, my heart rate before I stopped was at about 204. Having these numbers, is there a way to calculate my heart rate training zones? I am sure there is but haven't used heart rate based training before. Thanks for the help!

Hopefully they will give you other data.
Did they draw blood ? Was it a ramp test ? Run or bike until exhaustion ? Were you wearing a mask ?

Of those numbers, the 204 is probably getting close to your max HR if you truly gave it your all. You could set zones from that

But it would be better if they were drawing blood and you could get your Lactic threshold and various pace levels. You would be able to set more accurate zones. Other data could tell you how much carbs/fat you were burning, what % of VO2max you hold at threshold....lots of useful data.

The more data you can get, the better picture you will get.
2014-12-13 7:04 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Regular
, Ohio
No, I just asked if they could tell me the results and that was all I got. I'm not familiar with the tests so didn't know what I should be asking for :-P No blood was drawn and it was the treadmill test with the mask and HRM. At the end of the study, I will get an analysis of each test (one at the beginning and one at the end) but was just hoping the numbers they did give could give me some useful data to set my HR zones.
2014-12-13 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

No, I just asked if they could tell me the results and that was all I got. I'm not familiar with the tests so didn't know what I should be asking for :-P No blood was drawn and it was the treadmill test with the mask and HRM. At the end of the study, I will get an analysis of each test (one at the beginning and one at the end) but was just hoping the numbers they did give could give me some useful data to set my HR zones.

Was it a test where they increase the pace every x minutes ? If so, was it until you couldn't go anymore ?

If so, I would use the HR as a max HR, or close to it. You could set zones from that. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Did you get a pace when you stopped ?
2014-12-13 8:56 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Yes, they increased the pace and incline every 3 minutes and it was until I couldn't go on. I figured I could just base my HR zones off of the max HR but I didn't know if the VO2 max value played into that at all. I appreciate all the help.
2014-12-13 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yes, they increased the pace and incline every 3 minutes and it was until I couldn't go on. I figured I could just base my HR zones off of the max HR but I didn't know if the VO2 max value played into that at all. I appreciate all the help.

The VO2max number in isolation doesn't mean much. When you get the rest of the data, ask and you can probably extrapolate other info.
Always willing to help.

2014-12-13 10:42 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
From the test they did, without drawing blood, t=you can determine your ventiliatory threshold, which is functionally similar enough to your lactate threshold it's a fine marker to set training zones from.

Ask them if they can tell you at what heart rate your ventiliatory threshold occured at...and use that as your threshold HR for now.

Otherwise, i'd just stick with RPE zones. Hard for threshold, conversational for aerobic , something in between for tempo.
2014-12-14 5:33 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AdventureBear

From the test they did, without drawing blood, t=you can determine your ventiliatory threshold, which is functionally similar enough to your lactate threshold it's a fine marker to set training zones from.

Ask them if they can tell you at what heart rate your ventiliatory threshold occured at...and use that as your threshold HR for now.

Otherwise, i'd just stick with RPE zones. Hard for threshold, conversational for aerobic , something in between for tempo.

AB, question....since he is going to go back to them for more data

is it worth knowing the value of his Ventiliatory threshold AND the HR at that point
Is knowing the VeT as a percentage of the Max worthwhile and indicative of his fitness ? ie is being 50% of max vs 80% of max worth knowing ?
As well, is knowing his pace and incline at both points worth knowing. He would know his pace and VO2 at 2 points, and could get a measure of his economy ?

The HR of course is useful for setting his zones. But isn't there a lot of useful info he could extract with VO2, HR and pace at the 2 points that could better tailor his training ? This would not be a lot of data to ask for.

What's your opinion on getting this data if it's there. ?

2014-12-14 10:31 AM
in reply to: #5074358

User image

The HRmax on its own isn't enough to set the zones. I hope they did record HR numbers at variously points in the rest because that info is much more useful.
2014-12-15 9:38 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Well for better or worst I gues you can use the Karvonen method if you determine your resting HR.  BT has a few HR calculators that you can play with, there's also this article from Coach Ricci on the various methods.

2014-12-15 12:27 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by AdventureBear

AB, question....since he is going to go back to them for more data

is it worth knowing the value of his Ventiliatory threshold AND the HR at that point
Is knowing the VeT as a percentage of the Max worthwhile and indicative of his fitness ? ie is being 50% of max vs 80% of max worth knowing ?
As well, is knowing his pace and incline at both points worth knowing. He would know his pace and VO2 at 2 points, and could get a measure of his economy ?

The HR of course is useful for setting his zones. But isn't there a lot of useful info he could extract with VO2, HR and pace at the 2 points that could better tailor his training ? This would not be a lot of data to ask for.

What's your opinion on getting this data if it's there. ?

All that data should be available from the test and it's useful for looking at response to training over time. For the immediate question of setting HR zones, i was trying to keep it simple.

I would either suggest Karvonen like someone else said, using resting HR and tested max, or get the ventilatory threshold HR and just plug that in for threshold HR, then see how the zones feel.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Training Zones from VO2 Max?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Max HR - Training Zone Q

Started by MDVJR
Views: 1594 Posts: 9

2010-05-11 12:55 PM Road Phoenix

VO2 Max & HR Treadmill Test Question

Started by jasonwb
Views: 710 Posts: 4

2010-02-04 11:58 AM jasonwb

determining max HR and aerobic zone training..HELP

Started by bmalik
Views: 975 Posts: 3

2010-01-27 7:33 PM AdventureBear

4 zone vo2 max conversion to 5 zone garmin 305

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 1120 Posts: 2

2008-10-31 2:22 AM tridantri

VO2 Max and resting HR

Started by aphoric
Views: 1624 Posts: 10

2004-08-18 2:27 PM charlie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone

date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.

date : December 31, 2006
author : sportfactory
Is there a point of diminishing returns? At some point, age catches up with us all. In general, as we age, VO2 max decreases, body fat increases, and muscular strength drops off.
date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.

date : June 4, 2006
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.
date : September 3, 2005
Can you tell me how my LT and V02 max have not decreased after 8 months of absolutely no speedwork? I did very minimal running up until February 2005.

date : January 10, 2005
The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.