General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exercise room Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-13 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Exercise room
We are finally getting around to finish our basement exercise room after starting last Fall, finding some water issues, and basically redoing the entire exterior of our house. Not good. :-(

Anyway, it is about 14 x 16, no windows, and has a cement floor. It will house a bench, dumbbell rack, some medicine balls, a treadmill, recumbent bike and my bike trainer. We already have a flat screen/dvd combo on the wall, an old entertainment cabinet for storage, a couple of big floor fans, and a small fridge for water.

3 questions are outstanding:

1. should we put in mirrors on one wall? We are leaning NO.
2. should we go industrial carpet with proper padding or rubber flooring, either interlocking or roll-out?
3. wall color?

Pros/cons/experiences?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Eric.

2014-12-13 5:35 PM
in reply to: #5074404

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Exercise room
I don't really have any experience but I would opt for some sort of rubber flooring. Hopefully there will be way too much sweating going making the carpet a chore to keep clean.
2014-12-13 7:37 PM
in reply to: #5074416

I would not use carpet since it will absorb sweat, stain and stink over time.

My exercise room (14 x 16, or so) has a treadmill, TRX, my bike trainer and some yoga mats. We used interlocking rubber tiles to protect the hardwood floor.

It was a fantastic investment. The tiles are the same as you would find in a gym. They look great and are easy to install (tape measure, straight edge, razor blade). The tiles themselves aren't that expensive. The cost of shipping, however, drives it up more than you might expect. My only complaint would be that the tiles are rough on your skin if you do any kind of floor exercises (hence the yoga mats).

Personally, I would steer away from horse stall mats as a cheaper alternative. They are cheap, but certainly look like crap. There will also be gaps at the seams (sweat will go between them) and the texture isn't very friendly (harder to clean). One upside, though, is can probably buy them from a local Tracter Supply off a roll pretty cheap.
2014-12-14 7:42 AM
in reply to: TurtleMan77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I second the suggestion to stay away from carpet.  My gym a few years back had carpet in all of the locker rooms and over time it stunk to hi-heaven.  The club renovated over a week and changed this out with tile and the smell is gone.  The mats are a good idea from a safety standpoint.  Walking on cement floors with bike shoes can be slippery and prone to fall.  So having the mats allows for a non-slip surface for safety.

2014-12-14 8:34 AM

Ok, I have used horse stall mats for a very long time. They do stay together at the seams you just have to lay them tight. I clean they with soap and water and it works fine. I started by buying the $80 mat at the exercise store and then found the exact same ones made by the same company for half the cost at the Tractor store. I have mats in my basement that I bought in my late 20's and I turned 50 this year.

The only downside I have ever had was when water got in my basement. I had to drag each one up the stairs and into the sun to clean with bleach and water both sides. They are hard to move around and carry, given the weight of them.

I did rearrange stuff a few weeks back and needed one more mat, on sale $30 for a 4'x6' mat at Tractor Supply. They may or may not be for you, but they have worked well for me for over 20 years

Joe
2014-12-14 8:37 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

Wall color is subjective, I had a honey beige color, on sale and it lasted a few years. I went to white and about went insane by spring staring a the white block walls. This year I went to Nordic sky, a home depot waterproof basement paint. IT is very easy so far on my eyes and sanity.....then again I added a receiver, speakers and 49" flat screen that is also helping.
Joe

2014-12-14 2:51 PM

Currently doing a complete remodel (1300 sq ft) of my basement due to a sump pump failure. In the future exercise room and the rest of that half of the basement is going to be rubber. I purchased rubber from Greatmats, you will want to find someone that sells it close because depending on the amount of floor shipping is expensive. In my case, shipping was $140 to my door for 550 sq ft. traveling about 120 miles. Weight is around 800 pounds.

I ordered samples of several products and the rubber one out. For one, it is cheap with shipping I will be around 1.70/sq ft. It will be easy to install, roll weight will be the main concern. I was able to order rolls to specific lengths, so scrap will be at a minimum. After using rubber for livestock floors, I know that the floor will outlast me. Water will not ruin it, just dry it out and put it back down.
2014-12-14 3:28 PM

User image

I will echo "stay away from carpets." I'd go with a light wall color since there are no windows. I'd also consider an air filter
2014-12-14 3:29 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I second the suggestion to use horse mats for the floor.  We used them when I still worked in a gym.  If you have an Agway in your area, check there.  They used to be <$50.

About the mirrors: YES!  You should have a sizable mirror to provide technique feedback.  People often think they're doing one thing when they're doing something completely different.  IMO, Since you're training on your own (without a trainer to monitor & correct form), a mirror is a necessary piece of equipment.

Also, unless someone in your house has a specific need for the recumbent bike (senior, knee injuries, etc.), don't spend the money or take up the space with it.  Use your bike on your trainer, or get a spin bike.

Last, consider getting a TRX Suspension Trainer.  It's the best bang for your buck from cost, time, and space perspectives.

2014-12-14 3:53 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I am a senior! I got my AARP card in the mail almost 2 years ago! LOL Lifelong runner, triathlon vet (I did my first in 1988), etc.

I already own all the gear - got the recumbent several years ago for my wife who has some back issues and I use it for easy rides too. We currently use the room, we are just finishing it so it is nicer and for resale value. We want it to be nice, with a professional look, so not sure if horse mats fill that bill. Doesn't seem like they will lie flat and fit perfectly together, etc. unless we glue them down. Will stay away form carpet, thanks for all the feedback.

I don't need a mirror for training purposes (unless I could have one in the pool!). My main thought is for resale value. Will price them out at least.
2014-12-15 1:30 PM

Originally posted by ejshowers

I am a senior! I got my AARP card in the mail almost 2 years ago! LOL Lifelong runner, triathlon vet (I did my first in 1988), etc.

I already own all the gear - got the recumbent several years ago for my wife who has some back issues and I use it for easy rides too. We currently use the room, we are just finishing it so it is nicer and for resale value. We want it to be nice, with a professional look, so not sure if horse mats fill that bill. Doesn't seem like they will lie flat and fit perfectly together, etc. unless we glue them down. Will stay away form carpet, thanks for all the feedback.

I don't need a mirror for training purposes (unless I could have one in the pool!). My main thought is for resale value. Will price them out at least.

I actually put up three mirrors, I picked up on the side of the road. There where in bedroom furniture someone had cleaned out a house. I had them from lifting days, but find them useful when I can look over and see how I am making circles when I pedal.

2014-12-15 4:01 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Expert

We got outdoor industrial carpet for our exercise room- it has worked fine so far.  Our budget was busted by the time we got to the flooring!  Our walls are white- I keep meaning to get motivational posters to put up but haven't gotten around to it.  We do have a TV, which helps. 

It is SO nice to have a place to workout when we can't go outside or get to the gym?

2014-12-15 10:15 PM
in reply to: #5074429

User image

New user
We have a wall of mirrors that the prior owner installed. Not sure I would have put them if starting from scratch, but I like them and if I ever need to build a room wold include at least sme mirrors. I use them for form checks when weight training and they make the room seem bigger. Mirrors are behind me when on the trainer so no benefit for me for cycling. I have interlocking foam mats over on the floor which is a basement slab. No complaints. I would avoid carpet.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exercise room Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Core Exercises Video, part 2 - Prone exercises

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 916 Posts: 4

2010-02-11 9:20 PM AdventureBear

Let's see your cycling room/training room/bike shop

Started by newbie13
Views: 1334 Posts: 9

2007-09-07 7:30 PM kaitlinrose

Cool exercise ball exercises

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 934 Posts: 4

2006-09-08 11:06 AM Micawber

St.Anthony's: Room and rental car share

Started by aliengin
Views: 606 Posts: 2

2004-12-03 5:22 PM GatorGirl22

Steam room

Started by piggpen35
Views: 688 Posts: 10

2004-11-09 3:02 PM rollinbones
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
If you are one of those athletes, and the compartments don’t easily expand, the pressure within increases with exercise. This can stress the muscle as well as the nerves and blood vessels.

date : August 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 0
We have recently added a run/walk portion to our workouts. Now we are going to work on increasing our endurance in each discipline plus some 'bricks' so we are ready for our upcoming Fall triathlons!
date : July 4, 2006
We have used the past six months to build endurance and strength on the bike and in the pool. Now, we’ll start building on your swimming speed and run/walking.

date : June 6, 2006
We have used the past four months to build endurance and strength on the bike and in the pool. Now, we’ll start building on your swimming speed.
date : May 1, 2006
We have used the past three months to build endurance and strength on the bike and have added the swimming component to the program. Now, we’ll start building on your swimming endurance.

date : April 3, 2006
We have used the past two months to build endurance and strength on the bike and will begin to incorporate swimming into the program.
date : March 5, 2006
comments : 1
We will continue to use the bike for cardio workouts for the next two months of the plan and then begin incorporating the other 2 disciplines included in the sport of triathlon.

date : January 30, 2006
comments : 16
This part of the program focuses on utilizing the bike for cardiovascular exercise and moderate strength training for low-impact training-especially good for starting out and/or having weight to lose.