General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Endurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-13 7:34 PM

User image

Subject: Swim Endurance
I have a newbie question: How do I improve my swim endurance? Basically, I am a beginner swimmer, and can go 100 without stopping, but have a hard time going further. I have been doing 10 sec rest between 25 m lengths and have got up to 200. Any thought and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I should add, I'm training for a sprint with hopes of doing an Olympic.

Edited by docpodjy 2014-12-13 7:37 PM

2014-12-13 8:17 PM
in reply to: docpodjy

Subject: RE: Swim Endurance

I'm not a good swimmer, but I've been where you are now. Just keep swimming. Its a simple answer, but its all you really have to do. Just get to the pool as much as you can fit it into your schedule.

Watch videos, get lessons if you can, but most importantly, just keep swimming. The more you swim, the faster it will "click."

In 2012 I decided to do my first tri, an Olympic in July, as of April I would max out at 100 yards before I needed a rest. I went to the pool 5-6 days a week at the time and was determined to "figure it out." I was decently fit, but couldn't go more than 100 yards. I remember going to the pool one morning and was venting to one of the "regulars" about how I could only go 100 yards. He said, go swim 150. And I thought, ok fine, I'll probably die, but I'll do it.

I made it. I remember it was only 2 weeks later and I swam 3800 yards non-stop. On top of just learning to swim correctly, I think for many people there is this mental barrier that they need to get past. Your mind will go into a "panic mode" while you are face down in the water after so much time and will force you to want to rest. You have to just relax yourself and convince yourself that you are going to go farther than 100 yards.

So my suggestion is to go to the pool and do 150 yards. Just do it. Tell yourself before you even push off that you will be swimming longer than usual and will need to relax, and actually relax. Again. Go 150. Convince yourself before hand. If you make it the 150, then go for 200 etc...
2014-12-13 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It sounds obvious, but a lot of newbie swimmers and runners don't realize--slow down a bit. This can actually be difficult if you have major technique issues and are really stroki/kicking hard to stay afloat. If at all possible, try to get some help with your technique. I'm not a professional coach but have helped with kids' teams and a lot of the novice ones struggle because they haven't developed an efficient breathing pattern. They might not be exhaling fully underwater (or exhaling at all) which makes it difficult for them to get enough air when they breathe, or they might have an inefficient breathing pattern which wears them out and makes their stroke inefficient. If you have the endurance to bike/run for half an hour, it's likely that the real issue is technique rather than muscular endurance.
2014-12-13 10:30 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Conroe, Texas
Originally posted by ImSore

I'm not a good swimmer, but I've been where you are now. Just keep swimming. Its a simple answer, but its all you really have to do. Just get to the pool as much as you can fit it into your schedule.

Watch videos, get lessons if you can, but most importantly, just keep swimming. The more you swim, the faster it will "click."

In 2012 I decided to do my first tri, an Olympic in July, as of April I would max out at 100 yards before I needed a rest. I went to the pool 5-6 days a week at the time and was determined to "figure it out." I was decently fit, but couldn't go more than 100 yards. I remember going to the pool one morning and was venting to one of the "regulars" about how I could only go 100 yards. He said, go swim 150. And I thought, ok fine, I'll probably die, but I'll do it.

I made it. I remember it was only 2 weeks later and I swam 3800 yards non-stop. On top of just learning to swim correctly, I think for many people there is this mental barrier that they need to get past. Your mind will go into a "panic mode" while you are face down in the water after so much time and will force you to want to rest. You have to just relax yourself and convince yourself that you are going to go farther than 100 yards.

So my suggestion is to go to the pool and do 150 yards. Just do it. Tell yourself before you even push off that you will be swimming longer than usual and will need to relax, and actually relax. Again. Go 150. Convince yourself before hand. If you make it the 150, then go for 200 etc...

This was my exact experience as well. The first week of April I started swimming for the first time ever in a lane pool and I could barely swim one length of a 25 meter pool. Like mSore I was determined to beat the swim monkey so I was at the pool 5 days a week for about an hour. It took me 3 weeks to get to 50m and it took another 3 weeks to get to 100m. After 4 weeks of swimming 100m laps and thinking I was never going to get past 100m I decided I would just keep going after the 4th length and see how far my lungs would let me go. I was shocked and super excited to actually swim 200m without resting. Fast Forward 4 weeks and I was swimming 2000m sets. I've learned that with swimming you just got to put in lots of time and effort, its not something you can give a half effort and see any sort of results. You will get there just like the rest of us, but another bit of advise from another beginner swimmer, when you get up to the 1800-2000m sets don't assume that is going to just transfer on over to open water. After swimming several weeks with 2000m+ workouts I thought I was just jump in the local lake and swim for hours...WRONG!! I think I swam around 150m before I went into all out panic. I won't get in to that too much here but just make sure after you build a good fitness level in the pool make sure you get some good open water time in the spring before your first sprint, you'll be glad you did!!!
2014-12-14 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia

I agree with all the above. Slow down, concentrate on your breathing and the feel of the water, and just push on through. How did you ever run past that first mile? Or bike past those first 5? It all comes from doing. You have plenty of time to work on your speed later.

Best wishes on your sprint tri.

2014-12-14 10:25 AM
in reply to: #5074428

User image

While the advice to slow down and relax is good, how common is it to be able to swim 3800m just two weeks after not being able to swim more than 100? Those kind of stories always got me really upset because I was no where near that kind of improvement.

But in general, the rest of the advice is good- slow down, get some advice about your stroke, and gradually increase distance. Dont be worried about stopping at the wall for now - eventually you'll eliminate lots of the rest periods.

2014-12-14 12:50 PM
in reply to: #5074480

User image

I started swimming last year and was in the gray guys/girls mentor group and got a great instructional training plan for swimming from Scott k9car363. He now has a web site so check out the novice plan http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/workouts/novice
Just keep swimming each week
2014-12-14 2:14 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

While the advice to slow down and relax is good, how common is it to be able to swim 3800m just two weeks after not being able to swim more than 100? Those kind of stories always got me really upset because I was no where near that kind of improvement.

But in general, the rest of the advice is good- slow down, get some advice about your stroke, and gradually increase distance. Dont be worried about stopping at the wall for now - eventually you'll eliminate lots of the rest periods.

2 weeks was a bit of an exaggeration, it was actually 4 weeks after that I hit 3800 (I had to go back to check).

I started swimming in February of that year and what I left out of that earlier story was the agonizing 3 months where I spent countless hours in the pool. I was there sometimes twice a day, sometimes 2 hours a stretch.

I don't want to discourage anyone. That is the last thing I want to do. If anything I want to encourage people that if they fight through the seemingly insurmountable frustration, all the hard work can pay off. The only reason I was able to swim that far was because of the insane number of 25, 50 and 100 yard repeats I was putting in. When it finally "clicks" and you can swim continuously, all of the laps you are putting in now do actually "count."

Good luck and I hope to hear soon about a breakthrough. Keep at it!
2014-12-14 3:36 PM

User image

Exaggeration. Now why didn't I think of that?
2014-12-14 3:50 PM

User image

2014-12-14 5:47 PM

If you don't already, take some swimming lessons. Improper swim technique will slow you down tremendously and will cause you to expend much more effort for those 100 or 200 meters. It is both the movement and the posture which will slow you down.

This might not be your case but beginner swimmers sometimes become uncomfortable in the water and a little scared. This causes them to stiffen up and sometime to breathe exaggeratedly. If this is your case, do relax, remind yourself how easily you can get out of trouble by grabbing the cable or turning on your back.

If you have just started, you should notice improvements very quickly.

Good luck!

2014-12-14 6:36 PM
in reply to: #5074491

User image

I should've mentioned I do have a swim instructor. We are constantly working on efficiency.
2014-12-14 7:45 PM

User image

I started just like you, and it took me about 5-6 months to swim 1,000 yards non-stop. Maybe that's on the slow side, but I had so many personal breakthroughs along that way that kept me motivated, and I'm sure you will too. I didn't have a coach, I learned everything from videos. Watching one before a lesson can really helped sometimes.
2014-12-14 8:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Do lots of repeats 25's, 50's, 100's.

You don't see kids in a swim club doing continuous swimming. Once you get stronger you can try a longer effort as a test.

I swam 40x100m this morning.

No need to do a straight 4000m swim
40x100

10 Free 1:25 - 1.10-11
10 Back 1:30 - 1.19-20
10 Free Pull 1:15 - 1.09-11
3 x 3 @ 1.40
Fly/Back
Back/Breast
IM

Last Back 1.12
Last IM 1.13
100 easy
http://youtu.be/HLa_PsM6wnk

800 Free (lane 0 for me)

9:17 (1:09.6/100 LCM)

Edited by simpsonbo 2014-12-14 9:08 PM
2014-12-14 9:09 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Nothing wrong with sets like 30x50 or 60x25.

In fact it will probably improve your results.
2014-12-15 9:42 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by simpsonbo

http://youtu.be/HLa_PsM6wnk

800 Free (lane 0 for me)

Is that you in the near lane? Was this a workout (that you listed above) or a race?

2014-12-15 10:14 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by AdventureBear
Originally posted by simpsonbo http://youtu.be/HLa_PsM6wnk800 Free (lane 0 for me)
Is that you in the near lane? Was this a workout (that you listed above) or a race?

I'm fairly certain that's from the World Masters swim championships in Montreal this past summer.

2014-12-15 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by ImSore I'm not a good swimmer, but I've been where you are now. Just keep swimming. Its a simple answer, but its all you really have to do. Just get to the pool as much as you can fit it into your schedule. Watch videos, get lessons if you can, but most importantly, just keep swimming. The more you swim, the faster it will "click." In 2012 I decided to do my first tri, an Olympic in July, as of April I would max out at 100 yards before I needed a rest. I went to the pool 5-6 days a week at the time and was determined to "figure it out." I was decently fit, but couldn't go more than 100 yards. I remember going to the pool one morning and was venting to one of the "regulars" about how I could only go 100 yards. He said, go swim 150. And I thought, ok fine, I'll probably die, but I'll do it. I made it. I remember it was only 2 weeks later and I swam 3800 yards non-stop. On top of just learning to swim correctly, I think for many people there is this mental barrier that they need to get past. Your mind will go into a "panic mode" while you are face down in the water after so much time and will force you to want to rest. You have to just relax yourself and convince yourself that you are going to go farther than 100 yards. So my suggestion is to go to the pool and do 150 yards. Just do it. Tell yourself before you even push off that you will be swimming longer than usual and will need to relax, and actually relax. Again. Go 150. Convince yourself before hand. If you make it the 150, then go for 200 etc...

This was a revelation for me! Starting as an adult on-set swimmer from complete non-swimmer. It was tough starting out.  Once I could relax and work not so hard against the water and be confident that I could still get air in I was able to consistently build my volume. 

Best of luck! 

2014-12-15 10:30 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by AdventureBear
Originally posted by simpsonbo http://youtu.be/HLa_PsM6wnk800 Free (lane 0 for me)

I'm fairly certain that's from the World Masters swim championships in Montreal this past summer.

Thought so too.

2014-12-16 11:13 AM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Originally posted by Kris67

I started swimming last year and was in the gray guys/girls mentor group and got a great instructional training plan for swimming from Scott k9car363. He now has a web site so check out the novice plan http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/workouts/novice
Just keep swimming each week

That looks great!! Thank you!
2014-12-16 11:13 AM

User image

Thanks everyone for the help and words of encouragement! Very helpful!!

2014-12-16 12:33 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Originally posted by Hot Runner

It sounds obvious, but a lot of newbie swimmers and runners don't realize--slow down a bit.

Heck yes. I think I'm finding as I get a little better/technique/efficiency-wise I'm actually going faster...without as much flailing, if you will.
But with what appears to be efficiency, I'm sort of now "trying to keep up". I'm really trying on slowing up. When I watch those videos, they're so effortless. There's zero flailing and really no fast movement of any sort. I'm not even close yet, but I think I'm making steps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Endurance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim endurance -Swim to increase speed

Started by verga
Views: 1450 Posts: 11

2010-07-14 8:10 PM tkd.teacher

swim endurance

Started by donpett
Views: 1209 Posts: 12

2005-06-16 9:09 AM Hawkeye

swimming endurance..how?

Started by macaco
Views: 1529 Posts: 21

2005-04-21 12:53 PM AdventureBear

Swimming Endurance

Started by riti76
Views: 1595 Posts: 12

2005-02-09 5:16 PM AdventureBear

swimming endurance?

Started by oiprocs1975
Views: 1070 Posts: 20

2004-07-30 8:09 AM Maine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
We have used the past three months to build endurance and strength on the bike and have added the swimming component to the program. Now, we’ll start building on your swimming endurance.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : October 30, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By focusing on your limiters during the off-season you can accrue your highest rate of return for training time invested and set yourself up well for next season.
date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.