General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie's first winter/first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-14 8:39 PM

Subject: Newbie's first winter/first tri
Hi folks,

This is my first post on the site though I have been reading it for a while. I have been wanting to do a tri for about a year now and I think I am now at a place that I can really give it a go. My hopes for doing a tri really are to find something to motivate me to exercise while enjoying it. I am a bit competitive so a tri made sense to me and with a couple of bulging discs in my back, strict running is just not my cup of tea. At 32, there was a day I was more athletic, now I can run a couple of miles or bike an 45 minutes to an hour, but they leave me pretty tired. So I am trying to figure out:
1. What do I do over the winter to get ready for a tri?
2. What are some recommend plans on the site for getting ready for my first sprint and then maybe olympic?

I am a fairly weak swimmer as far as experience goes (I have never raced) and so that is a bit of a fear. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks all for your help and I look forward to diving into the world of triathlons!
-Josh

2014-12-14 10:01 PM
in reply to: #5074560

Subject: RE: Newbie's first winter/first tri
Triathlon is great, the ambiance in those races is awesome.

I am a back of the pack triathlete who just finished his first year.

I would say, start by making sure you can achieve the event by working on your weakness. (Swimming...). Complete your schedule with the 2 other sports.

When the season starts, compete in a small event, gain experience and assess your weakness.

You adapt your training based on your experience.

Finish the season with your objective distance triathlon.

Remember to have fun! If you have the same kind of blast i had, you may end up doing multiple triathlon during your first season.

Dont be scared to start small. The experience you will gain on your first event will be priceless and allow you to perform much better when attempting your objective distance.

Also, if you are not used to open water swimming, try to plan some before the first event.
2014-12-14 10:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by joshmod What do I do over the winter to get ready for a tri?

SWIM....... a lot!

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-14 10:04 PM
2014-12-14 10:51 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by joshmod What do I do over the winter to get ready for a tri?

SWIM....... a lot!

Swim lots of short repeats!!! You will improve much faster!
2014-12-15 2:09 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Swim lots of short repeats!!! You will improve much faster!

Thanks everyone for the help.
Simpsonbo, What do you mean by short repeats? What would an example be?
Thanks again!
2014-12-15 3:10 PM
in reply to: joshmod

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Swim workouts are structured as sets...

No top swimmer walks in and does an 8 k swim without stopping. Too many triathletes try to train for the swim the same as the bike or run.

Do not worry about trying to swim a mile without stopping this winter. Focus on learning good technique and getting faster.

There is nothing wrong with your entire workout being 25 or 50 (metre or yard) reps. Once you get stronger you can start doing fixed send off intervals, for now I would use a rest interval

60x25
20 freestyle take 15 sec rest
10 kick take 10 sec rest
20 freestyle take 10 sec rest
10 backstroke take 15 sec rest

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie's first winter/first tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First tri, First Post, First batch of questions :)

Started by Chris(NJ)
Views: 1422 Posts: 11

2011-07-29 8:41 AM japarker24

First Tri -- First DNF

Started by feagajk
Views: 1441 Posts: 14

2005-08-22 1:39 PM Mottyl

First Team and First Tri

Started by Carl Sohn
Views: 810 Posts: 1

2005-03-14 8:13 PM Carl Sohn

First Olympic TRI (First TRI Period!!!!)

Started by satchmo72
Views: 1307 Posts: 12

2004-09-08 12:30 AM Tori

Finished my FIRST in my first tri!

Started by HBchinadoll
Views: 969 Posts: 3

2004-05-28 3:37 PM Whizzer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.