General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visability Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-15 10:08 AM

User image

Subject: Visability
My parents have come to spectate a few of my races recently. They have a lot of trouble keeping track of which athlete I am, as I tend to blend in with all the other athletes dressed more or less in black. How do you make yourself stand out so that friends and family can keep track of you, especially during the swim? Most races tend to ask that you wear the provided swim cap, so getting something crazy and bright is out of the question.

Thanks!

2014-12-15 11:12 AM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Visability
Originally posted by aalbury

My parents have come to spectate a few of my races recently. They have a lot of trouble keeping track of which athlete I am, as I tend to blend in with all the other athletes dressed more or less in black. How do you make yourself stand out so that friends and family can keep track of you, especially during the swim? Most races tend to ask that you wear the provided swim cap, so getting something crazy and bright is out of the question.

Thanks!

Be in the lead at all times and you'll be easy to spot! (so maybe this was not helpful
2014-12-15 11:26 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I've actually thought about painting the tops of my hands bright orange to stand out in the swim. Normally I tell my family "look for the guy in the black wetsuit"

2014-12-15 1:07 PM

User image

A bright colored helmet (like yellow, orange, green or pink) is usually the easiest way to spot someone on the bike.  Other than your helmet, most people can only see your shoulders and legs from a distance.  By the time they can see your bike, your top, or even your face...you likely have blown right by them.

2014-12-15 1:20 PM

User image

Miami
Originally posted by aalbury

Thanks!

Before the race, I show my wife and/or parents/friends a map of the race course and I point them where are the best spots to spectate as well as what time do I expect to be at each place. They usually spot me before the swim (easy), at the swim out and T1 (depends on how far it is from the swim out), bike in, during the run (one or more times depending on the course), and finish line. Sometimes during the bike too, but it depends on the course (multiple loop vs. single loop).

They do a great job looking for me, but I also look for them when I am getting closer to the identified areas. I think most of the times I see them before they see me and I make some gesture for them to see me. Also, in big races, I make them wear bright orange shirts, so I can spot them easily. I think it is easier for me to see them when I know where they are going to be than for them to identify me between hundreds of athletes wearing black trisuits (I wear a color trisuit, which helps too).
2014-12-15 3:49 PM

User image

I wear bright kits most of the time but I also have a pretty big tattoo on my left arm - oh and white or purple or red hair!

Patti

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visability Rss Feed