General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bicycle choice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-15 2:05 PM

Subject: Bicycle choice
I don't have a lot of experience with the sport other than I enjoy running and since incorporating swimming into my workouts I've found I like it as well. While at the gym I do ride a stationary bike to mix up my routine. So I need to get a bicycle in order to participate in events but have found there's way more layers to bikes than there used to be.
I'm sure this has been asked countless times but I could not find results in the search so here goes....
Any insight as to a tri or a road bike? Is the difference in muscle use that noticeable? I do not see myself taking up biking alone as a form of exercise but do need to have one obviously and I want to avoid getting one bike then 8 months down the road be looking to purchase another. I've looked at used bikes which has been educational and have been sized (not fitted) for a road bike. I guess my thinking is if my purpose is to do duathlons and triathlons then a tri bike may make more sense if it really is that helpful. My price range is around 1K. Any suggestions or direction is greatly appreciated!

Have a great day.

2014-12-15 2:34 PM
in reply to: TexasOFT76

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Bicycle choice
As a first bike and in the $1k bracket, you get a whole lot more for you money if you stick to a road bike. By far the most important is that it fits YOU.
2014-12-15 2:51 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I went with the road bike first. I hadn't had a bike since I was a teenager so a road bike was a good option. Better handling, a little more versatility for use.  Even after having a road bike for several years it took some time to transition to a tri bike. 

In most triathlons you will see loads and loads of people riding road bikes. And going quick too.  It's a good safe choice and as said for above there is quite a bit of selection on road bikes at quite a few price points so you can find a good fit.

I now have both but didn't decide to get a tri bike until i decided to do a full IM. I love both bikes - my tri bike is higher-end but the road bike was a great start back to biking since i hadn't ridden since i was a teenager. 

2014-12-15 3:57 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

Thanks for the recommendations. At this stage in the game a road bike seems a good option but I didn't want to limit myself if a tri bike was more appropriate for use.
Now just to get one! I want to be ready to go when events start up next year. I'm looking to do a few sprints and hopefully increase distance to perhaps an olympic by the end of summer.
I appreciate the advice!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bicycle choice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Choices, choices...

Started by gvey
Views: 1098 Posts: 11

2009-08-06 9:20 AM peewee

beverage of choice after excersise

Started by Spanner
Views: 878 Posts: 16

2004-12-29 9:21 PM rkreuser

Men's tri clothing choices Pages: 1 2

Started by Aikane
Views: 1347 Posts: 30

2004-10-05 12:26 PM ODogg

Bike Trianer Choices

Started by Motivated
Views: 658 Posts: 6

2004-08-01 9:40 AM JoeCoolSMB

Bike choices

Started by mtnrunner
Views: 1085 Posts: 6

2003-10-28 7:20 AM Chris Tree
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : August 5, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Is your bike seat uncomfortable? Are your parts going numb? This article discusses the important concepts of bicycle seat neuropathy, treatment and prevention.

date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.
date : March 19, 2007
author : Team BT
Ab Bicycle abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems