General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For all those geting into the polarized concept of training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-12-17 11:51 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: For all those geting into the polarized concept of training
An article I read in Runners World talked about keeping your run cadence during your easy runs at or near the same cadence you would use during a threshold run.

I have to admit that I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that one. How do I keep the same cadence but run slower? Wouldn't that require taking shorter strides which would affect my gait? That doesn't seem like a good idea either.

2014-12-17 11:56 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

I am finding myself just wicked tired all day and I am wondering if this might be the cause. I just took a look at my TP data for Sunday's "easy run of 6 miles" and find that I did the majority of it at threshold pace... not easy I guess.

Sometimes, being a slow runner, my easy paces are slower than a lot of people can walk so it does come down to pride and "toughing it out." But the way I feel right now I can't see building up to training for a half iron if I can't get all the workouts in.

2014-12-17 12:07 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by bcagle25
Polarization can work up to race day, you just need to think about how you will periodize your training, as always you want to get more specific as your peak race approaches. You can still use the model, but the success of that model is dependent on how well you manage the load and intensity.

The tough part is understanding that everyone is individual and what works for one might not work for another. BUT the more experience you have in dealing with a variety of different athletes the more experience you will get and you can find trends which helps you predict how certain people will respond to training. That is the key to building programs, and what most textbooks, blogs, and articles do not teach.

I think the question coming off that first part especially would be how to get in that race specific work while still fitting into polarized, or would one move out of that at some point? I put some possibilities above, but I'm not looking at long course where it could be most notable. Marc provided a study too.

2014-12-17 12:15 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn An article I read in Runners World talked about keeping your run cadence during your easy runs at or near the same cadence you would use during a threshold run. I have to admit that I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that one. How do I keep the same cadence but run slower? Wouldn't that require taking shorter strides which would affect my gait? That doesn't seem like a good idea either.

There will be some give in one, the other or both. Depends on what one wants to work more. Ryan Hall trying to do his 6 & half ft or so race stride length at 9:30 miles would be hilariously awesome to watch.

2014-12-17 12:31 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by pugpenny I am finding myself just wicked tired all day and I am wondering if this might be the cause. I just took a look at my TP data for Sunday's "easy run of 6 miles" and find that I did the majority of it at threshold pace... not easy I guess. Sometimes, being a slow runner, my easy paces are slower than a lot of people can walk so it does come down to pride and "toughing it out." But the way I feel right now I can't see building up to training for a half iron if I can't get all the workouts in.

I think most people just generally gravitate to that z3 area out of habit and think it's an easy effort.  It's not.  If Ryan Hall's easy is 9:00/mile pace then Mr. GMAN's and Ms. Pugpenny's easy pace is gonna be a heck of a lot slower.  I used to think my easy pace was 9:00.  I don't think that anymore.

Running speed is just a simple math equation involving cadence and stride distance.  As for keeping the same cadence but going slower you'd need to change the other variable.  That would be stride distance.  Shorten up your stride and keep the same cadence and you will slow down.  Easier said than done though.

2014-12-17 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Great topic Ben! I think it fits really well with multisport training but what are your thoughts about single sporters, specifically run only training? Lydiard, Canova, Lagat, Coe, and more have all referenced running at "strong paces" and Canova specifically cautions running too easy for anything but pure recovery. This is where I think it plays well with tri, there's a greater need for recovery day to day because one is usually managing multiple high effort workouts throughout the three disciplines—give some here, take some there. But once one moves away from that then there's an opportunity to move away from purely "easy" all the time (in absence of hard days) and still get some quality work that's a bit more aerobically beneficial without sacrificing the hard efforts. Thoughts? 

2014-12-17 1:01 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by thebigb

Great topic Ben! I think it fits really well with multisport training but what are your thoughts about single sporters, specifically run only training? Lydiard, Canova, Lagat, Coe, and more have all referenced running at "strong paces" and Canova specifically cautions running too easy for anything but pure recovery. This is where I think it plays well with tri, there's a greater need for recovery day to day because one is usually managing multiple high effort workouts throughout the three disciplines—give some here, take some there. But once one moves away from that then there's an opportunity to move away from purely "easy" all the time (in absence of hard days) and still get some quality work that's a bit more aerobically beneficial without sacrificing the hard efforts. Thoughts? 

In that video there is actually a section on marathon runners and elite kenyan 5 and 10k runners and how little they train in that middle zone.
Marathoners were 78% easy, 4% in the middle, 18% in red zone
2014-12-17 1:31 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by pugpenny I am finding myself just wicked tired all day and I am wondering if this might be the cause. I just took a look at my TP data for Sunday's "easy run of 6 miles" and find that I did the majority of it at threshold pace... not easy I guess. Sometimes, being a slow runner, my easy paces are slower than a lot of people can walk so it does come down to pride and "toughing it out." But the way I feel right now I can't see building up to training for a half iron if I can't get all the workouts in.

I think most people just generally gravitate to that z3 area out of habit and think it's an easy effort.  It's not.  If Ryan Hall's easy is 9:00/mile pace then Mr. GMAN's and Ms. Pugpenny's easy pace is gonna be a heck of a lot slower.  I used to think my easy pace was 9:00.  I don't think that anymore.

Running speed is just a simple math equation involving cadence and stride distance.  As for keeping the same cadence but going slower you'd need to change the other variable.  That would be stride distance.  Shorten up your stride and keep the same cadence and you will slow down.  Easier said than done though.

I don't disagree with much of the easy/hard though going on here, but it may be misleading to overemphasize Hall's 9:00 easy pace.  He is runnin a LOT more than the average AGer (as are those elite 5k & 10k runners mentioned above).  Early on, training load was mentioned.  It is going to be difficult for a lot of AGers to do enough hard to maintain an adequate overall training load if all they do otherwise is really easy running, for example.  Most people simply don't do enough overall volume to make that work (without doing a relatively high percentage in the hard zone, which carries greater risk).  The reason people gravitate into that high Z2/Z3 area more frequently is partly due to its relative effectiveness against its required recovery and risk.  That said, completely agree that it is worthwhile for most to make sure they don't gravitate to doing all their work in that one zone.  You certainly want to do some very solid hard work.  And if that means you give up some of your 'steady' for 'stuipd-easy', that can be a good trade-off. 

2014-12-17 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I'll have to find some time to watch the video and what it defines "easy" as. I'm not arguing against it but I think Johnny brings up some very valid points about volume. 

2014-12-17 2:22 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by thebigb

I'll have to find some time to watch the video and what it defines "easy" as. I'm not arguing against it but I think Johnny brings up some very valid points about volume. 

For me, what they describe as easy lines up pretty well with my McMillan numbers.

2014-12-17 4:13 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

An article I read in Runners World talked about keeping your run cadence during your easy runs at or near the same cadence you would use during a threshold run.

I have to admit that I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that one. How do I keep the same cadence but run slower? Wouldn't that require taking shorter strides which would affect my gait? That doesn't seem like a good idea either.

Keeping cadence same but shortening your stride, yes. It affects your gait but in a good way. If you don't shorten your stride and instead make your cadence slower, you will be braking with each step, which leads to higher impact and more injury risk. Keeping your cadence rate the same but shortening your stride leads to lighter, quicker steps, and lowers injury risk.

Most people will still slow their cadence a but when moving to slower speeds, even with a shorter stride length. But if you focus on keeping cadence the same while shortening your stride you'll be better off.

2014-12-17 4:31 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

I don't disagree with much of the easy/hard though going on here, but it may be misleading to overemphasize Hall's 9:00 easy pace.  He is runnin a LOT more than the average AGer (as are those elite 5k & 10k runners mentioned above).  

I wasn't using that as we need to model ourselves after Ryan Hall because he's probably running 80-100 miles per week and his base and volume is incomprehensible to an age group athlete.  I just wanted to illustrate that most AG'ers perception of stupid easy running isn't really stupid easy.

2014-12-18 7:34 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I wasn't using that as we need to model ourselves after Ryan Hall because he's probably running 80-100 miles per week and his base and volume is incomprehensible to an age group athlete.  I just wanted to illustrate that most AG'ers perception of stupid easy running isn't really stupid easy.

I get it.  But if you are only running a fraction of that volume, there may not be much room for stupid easy.  Not if you want to maintain a reasonable training load, at least.

2014-12-18 7:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

I get it.  But if you are only running a fraction of that volume, there may not be much room for stupid easy.  Not if you want to maintain a reasonable training load, at least.

I think what you are saying is

training load is the most important factor. it's hard to get training load at super easy paces

If so, 100% agree.

I think what Polarized shows us is that, for some of us, it may be preferable to move some Z3 and Z4 to Z2 and Z5, ideally keeping the same training load. THis is diffiicult in a time restrained environment.

IMO, Seiler's presentation and research is not a prescription for how to set up a training plan. It shows us how elite athletes actually train across multiple endurance sports. It shows this can be applicable to recreational athletes. It provides a way to "mix things up" in order to get out of a stale training regimen. And it debunks things like the myth that in order to improve performance at lactate threshold you need to train at lactate threshold

What is dangerous is people will just set up a training plan based on his findings without the experience to know how to apply it.

Edited by marcag 2014-12-18 7:52 AM
2014-12-18 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by marcag

I think what you are saying is training load is the most important factor. it's hard to get training load at super easy paces If so, 100% agree. I think what Polarized shows us is that, for some of us, it may be preferable to move some Z3 and Z4 to Z2 and Z5, ideally keeping the same training load. THis is diffiicult in a time restrained environment. IMO, Seiler's presentation and research is not a prescription for how to set up a training plan. It shows us how elite athletes actually train across multiple endurance sports. It shows this can be applicable to recreational athletes. It provides a way to "mix things up" in order to get out of a stale training regimen. And it debunks things like the myth that in order to improve performance at lactate threshold you need to train at lactate threshold What is dangerous is people will just set up a training plan based on his findings without the experience to know how to apply it.

I recall that some of the studies also showed the polarized concept also having the best results in groups that weren't at a high training load.  What was found was that the "less trained" athletes needed twice as much recovery time as "well trained" athletes after the high intensity sessions... but they still responded nicely to the training.  I'm not able to look up anything right now.

2014-12-18 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I think what you are saying is training load is the most important factor. it's hard to get training load at super easy paces If so, 100% agree. I think what Polarized shows us is that, for some of us, it may be preferable to move some Z3 and Z4 to Z2 and Z5, ideally keeping the same training load. THis is diffiicult in a time restrained environment. IMO, Seiler's presentation and research is not a prescription for how to set up a training plan. It shows us how elite athletes actually train across multiple endurance sports. It shows this can be applicable to recreational athletes. It provides a way to "mix things up" in order to get out of a stale training regimen. And it debunks things like the myth that in order to improve performance at lactate threshold you need to train at lactate threshold What is dangerous is people will just set up a training plan based on his findings without the experience to know how to apply it.

I recall that some of the studies also showed the polarized concept also having the best results in groups that weren't at a high training load.  What was found was that the "less trained" athletes needed twice as much recovery time as "well trained" athletes after the high intensity sessions... but they still responded nicely to the training.  I'm not able to look up anything right now.

I would be curious to measure all 168 hours a week of demographics stress. Even a high training load of 25-30 hours still leaves 138-143 hours away from training where stress is accumulating, even more so for the less trained athletes that train 6-8 hours and have another 160-162 hours per week outside of training.

A huge part of this, and not just talking about polaization is that people rarely, if ever, talk about or consider all the stress then are taken on by amateur athletes outside of training. If you have an extremely stressful job, family, sleep 5-6 hours nightly, etc. Even if you had 20 hours a week to train would adding 20 more hours of stress be the best option? In some ways I see the lower intensity model working for these people as they are still training, accumulating less of a training stress, but still moving a fair amount each and every day.

What about sitting at desk jobs versus jobs that have people move alot. What about jobs with low thought level versus a very active mind?

Lots of variables to look at outside of ones training background and goals in deciding which path is correct, also a lot of trial and error. But like with everything the more experience you get the more you can spot trends and predict possible outcomes.

2014-12-18 10:28 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Great article Ben, and thanks to everyone for your thoughts in this thread. I don't have anything to add to the science, but having incorporated a polarized model of training since September of 2011 I can offer this one nugget from my own case study. For me perhaps the single biggest paradigm shift in training came from the understanding that training TIME is a significant and appropriate physiological metric (as opposed to distance, speed, etc), since (as the article states) "the body is sensitive to stress duration." Mentally once I got over worrying about how far or fast I was going, and instead just focusing on work duration, rest duration, and intensity, I found it MUCH easier to execute my workouts as prescribed (very easy on easy days, very hard on hard days). And I have made steady improvements since, after having been stagnant for years prior.

There is a subtle point in the article that is more clearly stated in the reviewer's commentary when he states "It is not clear whether low-intensity training is more effective than high intensity training or whether low-intensity work simply allows more rapid recovery and preserves high intensity systems for performance of high-end work." So the idea is that the recovery phase may somehow play as significant role in physiological response as the actual work duration itself. In other words, the recovery is actually part of the work. So performing intervals ( for example: 5 x 10 minutes at 85% VO2, each separated by 2 minutes recovery) is somehow better than adding a single, similar 10 minute interval to each of 5 days of otherwise easy running, implying again that the specific recovery is a key component in eliciting the desired physiological response. Can anyone comment further on that?

2014-12-18 10:37 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by TankBoy

So the idea is that the recovery phase may somehow play as significant role in physiological response as the actual work duration itself. In other words, the recovery is actually part of the work. So performing intervals ( for example: 5 x 10 minutes at 85% VO2, each separated by 2 minutes recovery) is somehow better than adding a single, similar 10 minute interval to each of 5 days of otherwise easy running, implying again that the specific recovery is a key component in eliciting the desired physiological response. Can anyone comment further on that?

I think it's of great importance and something I think many athletes and coaches overlook or underestimate.  I know I did.  I pretty much ignored a proactive approach to recovery for years.  It was hammer, hammer, hammer until my body basically said "Go f**k yourself, I'm done!" and I've been digging out of that rut for months (exacerbated by having to have surgery and other non-training related medical issues the past few months).

2014-12-18 10:44 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by marcag What is dangerous is people will just set up a training plan based on his findings without the experience to know how to apply it.

Agreed.  Which is why I chimed in tio begin with.  Saying Hall runs 9:00 miles helps illustrate your point, but the analogy can only be drawn so far for most AG athletes.  This is a great quite from Stephen Seiler that I lifted from a discussion about this very topic:

The zone 1 vs zone 2 question (both being below the first lactate turnpoint in the 5 zone system we use a lot here in Norway) is interesting. There is no physiological marker distinguishing these two "zones". I suspect that with really high training volumes and really big motors, elite guys move move their Low intensity work down a little into zone 1 just because that zone widens. However, more recreational athletes will spend more time just under threshold intensity.

I also am still of the opinion that 3 zones works quite well for most people: Green zone (talking intensity, starts feeling like you are working after an hour, feel like eating as soon as you are finished, Yellow Zone (threshold, typical zone for those 45-60 minute workouts you hustle to squeeze in after work, pretty tough workout, but you did not have to go near your personal cellar of mental fortitude to finish), Red zone (requires mental mobilization, clear increasing perception of effort with every interval bout, no appetite for about an hour after training). And of course the most common training mistake is that a green zone session becomes yellow because of half wheeling, and the next day's planned red zone session fades to uhhhh....pink. Show me a champion and I will show you a person with intensity discipline who plans the work and works the plan, even on days when someone rides past them that they know they could reel in

Two things I take from that are that, one, recreational athletes are going to spend more time closer to threshold due to less volume and less fitness.  And, two, you definitely want to make sure that you find some time to really push yourself.  You don't want everything to be yellow and pink.  If that means you do some more green, so be it.  There's, of course, nothing new nor earth-shattering about this.  It is based on observing how successful athletes actually train.

2014-12-18 10:56 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by TankBoy

There is a subtle point in the article that is more clearly stated in the reviewer's commentary when he states "It is not clear whether low-intensity training is more effective than high intensity training or whether low-intensity work simply allows more rapid recovery and preserves high intensity systems for performance of high-end work." So the idea is that the recovery phase may somehow play as significant role in physiological response as the actual work duration itself. In other words, the recovery is actually part of the work. So performing intervals ( for example: 5 x 10 minutes at 85% VO2, each separated by 2 minutes recovery) is somehow better than adding a single, similar 10 minute interval to each of 5 days of otherwise easy running, implying again that the specific recovery is a key component in eliciting the desired physiological response. Can anyone comment further on that?

It's not the recovery, it's the accumulated stress from the work that drives physiological adaptations.  That said, doing a 10min interval each day for 5 days is NOT the same as doing 5 x 10min on 2min rest in one day.  The reason it's not the same, is because of the recovery you've allowed (or not allowed) to take place.  The reason low intensity training may be important on the other days is that without going easy, next time you do 5x10 you might not be able to create as much training stress because you are not recovered enough to begin with.  So you are certainly correct that recovery is a key component in training.  It's not that it plays an important role in the response, but that it allows for the actual work to be 'better'.  That may be splitting hairs, since you obviously need one to get the other.  But I think it's important to remember that what drives physiological adaptations is stress.

2014-12-18 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
For now, and this will change as race day approaches

All running is easy. This is hard for me, I really easily creep into Z3 and Z4
Bike is very polarized. Very hard, or very aerobic Z5 & Z2. Slowly trending to 4x8 at 110%, fall off the bike when complete. 2x sometimes 3 per week + easy rides.
Swim is one very hard, feel like puking workout per week. 2x not as intense, but not cake walks but more focused on holding good form, low rest, T+5s type effort. Lots of time focusing on proper pacing and form.

Next cycle will see things shift a bit.

Before, I spent a lot of time in Z3/Z4. 50% of my time was there.

Just curious, because my pattern lately has been very similar to yours with one exception - why is *all* running easy, and not 1 very hard session per week? I've been doing this and finding it very beneficial.

2014-12-18 1:11 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by fisherman76
Originally posted by marcag For now, and this will change as race day approaches All running is easy. This is hard for me, I really easily creep into Z3 and Z4 Bike is very polarized. Very hard, or very aerobic Z5 & Z2. Slowly trending to 4x8 at 110%, fall off the bike when complete. 2x sometimes 3 per week + easy rides. Swim is one very hard, feel like puking workout per week. 2x not as intense, but not cake walks but more focused on holding good form, low rest, T+5s type effort. Lots of time focusing on proper pacing and form. Next cycle will see things shift a bit. Before, I spent a lot of time in Z3/Z4. 50% of my time was there.
Just curious, because my pattern lately has been very similar to yours with one exception - why is *all* running easy, and not 1 very hard session per week? I've been doing this and finding it very beneficial.

It might be more simple to think of GMAN's 3 hard per week with 1 being in each sport. If he wanted to place a strong emphasis on one of the sports while still operating on a rather polarized theme, what adjustments could/should be made to accomplish this?

2014-12-18 1:21 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by fisherman76

For now, and this will change as race day approaches

All running is easy. This is hard for me, I really easily creep into Z3 and Z4
Bike is very polarized. Very hard, or very aerobic Z5 & Z2. Slowly trending to 4x8 at 110%, fall off the bike when complete. 2x sometimes 3 per week + easy rides.
Swim is one very hard, feel like puking workout per week. 2x not as intense, but not cake walks but more focused on holding good form, low rest, T+5s type effort. Lots of time focusing on proper pacing and form.

Next cycle will see things shift a bit.

Before, I spent a lot of time in Z3/Z4. 50% of my time was there.

That's just for now. I'm just building up a bit more of a run base coming off some injuries. I forget the exact week , but sometime in the new year I will gradually bring some track work in and then a little later in the cycle some work within my long runs.

But even running easy, I see improvement. It will plateau and then it's time to bring in some speed. But I track the improvement pretty closely and have seen the pattern in the 2 previous years.

Right now just getting some run volume through frequency (doing the ST100/100) and doing the intensity on the bike & swim (2 or 3 hard bikes + 1 hard swim). Overall 3 or 4 hard sessions per week.

It works well with the crappy canadian winter
2014-12-19 12:35 PM

User image

Oakville

Coincidentally, Joe Friel's latest blog post talks about polarized training and low intensity workouts:

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/

2014-12-19 12:50 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Scott71

Coincidentally, Joe Friel's latest blog post talks about polarized training and low intensity workouts:

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/

Here is another he wrote

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2014/10/polarized-training-update.html

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For all those geting into the polarized concept of training Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Geting fit to be triathlon fit.

Started by saint100
Views: 1278 Posts: 8

2013-11-14 7:30 AM switch

Easton EC90 or Oval Concepts Fork

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 889 Posts: 3

2007-01-11 8:40 AM jpb0009

Concept 3 Rower vs Swimming

Started by Itsallgood
Views: 2543 Posts: 5

2006-11-13 3:44 PM AusVirgin

Which training concept is better?

Started by MrCjolsen
Views: 1122 Posts: 4

2005-10-09 8:44 PM Steve-

Running Efficiently.....total immersian concept

Started by clightle
Views: 866 Posts: 5

2003-12-02 10:22 AM NY_red_head
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.