BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-01-26 7:46 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED

Originally posted by EchoLkScott 

I tried out your formula. I went from points in the low 100's 8 weeks ago to 210 last week to 250 this week. A lot of that is the introduction of the TrainerRoad training plan. These early base rides are fairly low stress (long, slow, aerobic endurance), but I'm still growing volume too fast. I have a couple weeks until my planned recovery week, but perhaps I should do it next week.

Scott I.

I ran the numbers of your build.  You said you started in the low 100's 8 weeks ago so I looked at it from 120 hours/week.  Using that starting point, you are WAY over a 10%/week build and moderately over a 15%/week build.  I included a recovery week at week 4.  Your actual build rate is closer to 20%/week which probably explains the fatigue.  My suggestion would be to take a day off and then do a recovery week next week if you haven't already started a recovery week this week.  The last thing you want is to find yourself battling being over-trained this early in the year.  It will nag you all year so better to directly address it then have the lingering issue all season.

2015-01-26 7:50 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott [

Scott, TrainerRoad also offers a 20-minute FTP test. They say it shouldn't yield an FTP that is significantly different than what you get with the 8-minute test, but it might be worth trying it. Maybe your power vs duration curve is not consistent with their assumptions.

Scott I.

Yeah, I saw the 20-minute test.  I was just lazy and didn't feel like doing a 20 minute max effort.  As it turned out, the 8-minute test was probably just as painful, just spread out over a different period of time.  I'll re-test later this week or maybe this coming weekend and see if I can get it cleared up.

2015-01-26 7:52 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weekend plans

Originally posted by ok2try My race report is up for my mile race. Short story: my time was 8:17.31. I'm happy with that because I feel I executed my HR strategy pretty well. That was to keep it to top of zone 4 for the 1st half, then give it all I've got. Results were zone 4 for laps 2 & 3; next 2 laps in zone 5a, and the last 3 in zone 5b. The splits were amazingly even: except for lap 1 which was faster, and lap 3 where I consciously slowed a bit because HR was going up too fast, they were all within 2 seconds of each other. I really like training & racing by HR because it is so much easier to control than pace, and if your training & your strategy are sound you'll have a good race. I wasn't last; I beat a woman in her 70's and another who is 80. Let me do so well at their ages. The most amazing competitor to me was the 63-year old woman who ran it in 6:13! Her USATF age-graded score was 95.99%, the highest of any of the women or the men. I have to say that I feel more alive and happy on race days than at any other time. Next race: half-marathon in 4 weeks. Deb

Deb,

Good job!  A 63-year old woman ran a 6:13?  That's fast for someone in their 20's.  It is BLAZING fast for someone in their 60's!

2015-01-26 8:03 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge

Weight lost 0.5 pounds

Workout 614.8 minutes

2015-01-26 8:23 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 1/25/2015 Check-In

Stu,

I've also noticed that increased training volume increases my appetite. There seems to be about a two week delay between the increased training volume and the increased appetite, then I'm start eating like a pig! I'm not sure how to handle this. Any suggestions from the group?

Scott I.

Scott,

I often have a hard time controlling my appetite when I increase workouts.

Lately I've been following a trainer monitored plan that is based on 1800cal/ day and my intake is spread over 6 meals. It is intended to produce a 1-1.5lb/week weight loss. Over the last 6 weeks of following this plan, I have lost 8lbs. (my current weight is 185lbs)

The idea is to eat every 3 hours, starting as soon as I wake up. The 1800 calories are consumed in 3 "larger" meals of 400 cal and 3 snacks of 200 calories. On the days that I do 2 workouts, I can increase intake by 100 calories in each of the 3 larger meals for a daily consumption of 2100 calories. The key for me is to eat the larger am meal right after my workout. I also seem to respond better to a fairly high protein intake, so I generally take in 100&g of protein per day. Finally, I drink 2 glasses of water with each meal and try to consume 80 ounces of water per day.

Bottom line is that a higher protein diet and no more than 3 hours between meals seem to bring the best results for me.

Dave

2015-01-26 10:35 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Tough travel week for me...including 9 hours in the Cincy airport until my flight was finally cancelled at midnight. Got home late Saturday night instead of Friday night. Unfortunately, the late night flights to multiple cities really messed up my workout.

No change in weight = 5
240 minutes of exercise = 8

13 Total.

Steve

2015-01-26 11:57 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Nothing too fabulous to post but being honest...

Did my best 30 mile ride Sunday.

Currently eating a box of cheeze its for dinner while I am posting this :/

Going to do day 2 of Scott's Olympic base training tomorrow (now mind you I said this 2 weeks ago).

I think part of the problem is my Olympic distance tri is in may and my half ironman is in July. So I am mentally super lazy.

How is everyone else staying motivated?

Donna
2015-01-27 7:15 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
234 down 2.5 Very surprised at this number, missed weighing in yesterday morning and then had pizza and beer last night?

5 no weight gain
2.5 for loss
296 min / 30 = 9.9

17.4 total

Rough week work wise really cut in to my workouts, missed my long run on Sunday. had a hard time staying motivated last week, i need to get back in the swing of things, although running outside the next few days will be a little rough, might have to substitute snowshoeing with the snow we are getting today.

Maybe I will have time to catch up with all the posts today?
2015-01-27 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Stu,

I've also noticed that increased training volume increases my appetite. There seems to be about a two week delay between the increased training volume and the increased appetite, then I'm start eating like a pig! I'm not sure how to handle this. Any suggestions from the group?

Scott I.

Scott (and Dave),

I've been looking into the following 3 diet plans:

1) the "if you don't bring it home, you can't eat it" diet
2) the "learn to love the doggie bag" diet
3) the "food and couches shouldn't mix" diet plan

There's also the, "just because you're playing Irish music in a bar and can drink for free, doesn't mean you should" diet plan, but that has less widespread appeal.

On a more serious note, at least for me, if I think before I eat, that's half the battle.

Stu
2015-01-27 7:32 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Originally posted by juneapple

Scott (and Dave),

There's also the, "just because you're playing Irish music in a bar and can drink for free, doesn't mean you should" diet plan, but that has less widespread appeal.

Stu

I love it!

In my case I think I need the "if you didn't bring it into the office, you can't eat it" diet. Our office kindly offers dozens of different, high calorie density, snacks for just $0.50 each. If I'm not careful, I find myself munching on a Snickers bar while my apple sits untouched.

Perhaps I've discovered my problem!

Scott I.
2015-01-27 9:29 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Stu, Scott: Good stuff.

Since I often work at home, I need to a sticker on the inside door to my home office that says " all in house routes do NOT end at the refrigerator".

I've even caught myself getting up from my desk while on a long conference call, muting the speakerphone, and wandering down to the kitchen while someone else is carrying on about the issue of the day......

2015-01-27 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by juneapple Scott (and Dave), I've been looking into the following 3 diet plans: 1) the "if you don't bring it home, you can't eat it" diet 2) the "learn to love the doggie bag" diet 3) the "food and couches shouldn't mix" diet plan There's also the, "just because you're playing Irish music in a bar and can drink for free, doesn't mean you should" diet plan, but that has less widespread appeal. Stu
I love it! In my case I think I need the "if you didn't bring it into the office, you can't eat it" diet. Our office kindly offers dozens of different, high calorie density, snacks for just $0.50 each. If I'm not careful, I find myself munching on a Snickers bar while my apple sits untouched. Perhaps I've discovered my problem! Scott I.

This sounds a lot like me.  There are too many times when I don't eat what I've brought and just get something from the cafeteria instead (and we're talking college cafeteria so not a lot of healthy choices).  I have been pretty good about staying away from the vending machines though when I get the afternoon munchies so that's a start at least.  

I think the cold I've been fighting against for the last week or so is finally winning.  Got home from work yesterday with a scratchy throat and so tired I just wanted to go to bed, so I skipped the scheduled run.  Probably going to take it easy again today - I've got my bike fit tonight so that will be my workout for the day.  I really hope I can fight this off - I've got a race this weekend that I don't want to miss.  

Speaking of races - Deb, congrats on your mile race!  Sounds like it was a great day.
Janet

2015-01-27 10:01 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 1/25/2015 Points Update

Hey everyone!

Here are the updated weight loss/workout challenge points for last week.

Scott I. is clearly going to be a force to be reckoned with as he once again dominated the workout minutes and Dan continues to lead the weight loss.

Good job to everyone!

(0125_weightloss_workout_rank.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0125_weightloss_workout_rank.jpg (59KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-27 10:31 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

Lately I've been following a trainer monitored plan that is based on 1800cal/ day and my intake is spread over 6 meals. It is intended to produce a 1-1.5lb/week weight loss. Over the last 6 weeks of following this plan, I have lost 8lbs. (my current weight is 185lbs)

The idea is to eat every 3 hours, starting as soon as I wake up. The 1800 calories are consumed in 3 "larger" meals of 400 cal and 3 snacks of 200 calories. On the days that I do 2 workouts, I can increase intake by 100 calories in each of the 3 larger meals for a daily consumption of 2100 calories. The key for me is to eat the larger am meal right after my workout. I also seem to respond better to a fairly high protein intake, so I generally take in 100&g of protein per day. Finally, I drink 2 glasses of water with each meal and try to consume 80 ounces of water per day.

Bottom line is that a higher protein diet and no more than 3 hours between meals seem to bring the best results for me.

Dave

Scott,

This x2!  The idea is to graze all day long so you are never hungry.  I know in my case, if I get to where "I'm starving" I have lost the battle as anything and everything in sight is going in my mouth.  It is as simple as when I am hungry I don't make good nutrition choices.  Plan out your nutrition for a day; calories, macro-nutrients, etc.  Then break that into several meals and spread it over the course of the day.

When I wake up in the morning, the first thing, I take my pulse, then visit the little boy's room, then eat something.  After that I think about coffee and starting my day.  Then I try to eat every 2-2.5 hours throughout the day.  My snacks are often as easy as an Atkins bar or half a sandwich.  My nutrition plan is centered on NEVER GETTING HUNGRY.

2015-01-27 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Originally posted by juneapple

Scott (and Dave),

Stu

I love it!

In my case I think I need the "if you didn't bring it into the office, you can't eat it" diet. Our office kindly offers dozens of different, high calorie density, snacks for just $0.50 each. If I'm not careful, I find myself munching on a Snickers bar while my apple sits untouched.

Perhaps I've discovered my problem!

Scott I.

That should be on the list for sure. I hate to admit it, but I purposely avoid the birthday cake celebrations at the office if I can. We also have some good soul often brings in donuts in the morning. Or homemade cookies, etc. If I'm having a stressful day at work, those are hard to avoid. And yet, I can't get an office 5K club started... hard to believe ;-)

Stu
2015-01-27 1:08 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Hi Steve and Scott,

I have a question about swimming. I recently started training for a mini-sprint in April, so the swim is really short but...
I usually do 3 strokes, 1 lap each of freestyle, backstroke, and breaststroke, repeating the pattern throughout the workout. Would it be better just to do freestyle, since that is the one I will do in the race?

Thanks!
Kathy

2015-01-27 1:13 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Subject: ---
I had a nice swim in the heated 80degree pool downtown today, after I rode my bike the long way there. It's 60 degrees and windy here, but sunny. I was thinking during my swim about cadence. I am not a high cadence person in swimming, biking or running, and I think that is why I am slow. I'm not working on being fast in swimming, but just focusing on my stroke, but this thought came into my head today. Also, I do not do a bunch of kicking, as I've always heard/read that triathletes use kicking for balance, not speed, in the water, to save our legs. My arms feel so weak when I try to speed up my stroke cadence, so I usually just do what feels comfortable. Today, at one point, I counted strokes of 1 arm, and 14 was about the norm, the few times I counted.
On another note, I had a great run yesterday, after working saturday and sunday (my rest days). I can't explain why some days suck and others are great. Just getting out the door takes motivation, but usually once I get started, I'm good. I do cherish my rest/sleep, so any day I have off, I try to get 10-11 hours sleep, but on work days it's more like 7. I've never enjoyed early rising, so I don't do it, unless I work or have a race

Diet wise, I do well at home, usually but at work, for some reason, I am always hungry. I bring a lot of food to eat as the cafeteria food is horrible. My fav after workout brunch, since I workout usually at 10am and finish around 12, is a pancake (2 eggs, 1/2 mashed banana, 1TBSP almond flour) topped with 1/2 banana and slice strawberries, and coffee.
2015-01-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: kszelei

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by kszelei 

I usually do 3 strokes, 1 lap each of freestyle, backstroke, and breaststroke, repeating the pattern throughout the workout. Would it be better just to do freestyle, since that is the one I will do in the race?

Thanks! Kathy

Hi Kathy!

My opinion is to swim freestyle and only freestyle in your workouts.  There are some that will disagree with that position.

Swimming any stroke besides freestyle is not going to improve your freestyle technique.  That is the argument I most often hear, that swimming "XYZ" stroke will improve your freestyle.  Doesn't happen.  Anyone that says it does is misinformed and likely didn't speak swimming as their first athletic language.   It is true that swimming one of the other strokes will help increase your overall strength and endurance, however it won't directly improve your freestyle.  If you are going to take the time to swim, it occurs to me you should get the biggest bang for your buck and that is going to come from swimming the stroke you are going to swim in the race - which will probably be freestyle.  If you want to get better at freestyle, you need to swim freestyle.

The other argument I hear in favor of training with other strokes is that swimming the other strokes breaks up the monotony of swimming.  I swam individual medley back when I was a swimmer so I had to train in all four strokes and I can tell you after literally hundreds of millions of meters in my swimming career that swimming in a workout is boring.  Doing the other strokes merely gives you a different way to suffer through the boredom.  That brings me back to saying get the biggest bang for your buck and swim freestyle.

That said, I do believe all triathletes should have a safety stroke other than freestyle.  I suggest backstroke.  You should swim that stroke enough to become proficient at it but don't need to worry about developing speed or great skill.  You just want something you can go to in an emergency.  I think your time spent working on your safety stroke should be added after a workout or during the beginning of a warm-up so it doesn't take away from your planned workout.

Just my two cents.

2015-01-27 3:14 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by DJP_19

Dave

Scott,

This x2!  The idea is to graze all day long so you are never hungry.  I know in my case, if I get to where "I'm starving" I have lost the battle as anything and everything in sight is going in my mouth.  It is as simple as when I am hungry I don't make good nutrition choices.  Plan out your nutrition for a day; calories, macro-nutrients, etc.  Then break that into several meals and spread it over the course of the day.

When I wake up in the morning, the first thing, I take my pulse, then visit the little boy's room, then eat something.  After that I think about coffee and starting my day.  Then I try to eat every 2-2.5 hours throughout the day.  My snacks are often as easy as an Atkins bar or half a sandwich.  My nutrition plan is centered on NEVER GETTING HUNGRY.

Thanks Dave and Scott,

Small frequent meals. I'll give it a try.

Scott I.
2015-01-27 3:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: ---

Originally posted by Kris67 

I was thinking during my swim about cadence. I am not a high cadence person in swimming, biking or running, and I think that is why I am slow. I'm not working on being fast in swimming, but just focusing on my stroke, but this thought came into my head today. Also, I do not do a bunch of kicking, as I've always heard/read that triathletes use kicking for balance, not speed, in the water, to save our legs. My arms feel so weak when I try to speed up my stroke cadence, so I usually just do what feels comfortable. Today, at one point, I counted strokes of 1 arm, and 14 was about the norm, the few times I counted.

Hi Kris,

This is a topic that is often hotly debated.  Some argue that your swim turnover rate, or cadence, should be as low as possible because that, in theory, provides the most efficient stroke.  Others say that your turnover rate should be fast, as that will, again in theory, allow you to propel yourself through the water more quickly.  In my opinion, neither of those extreme positions is accurate.  Yes, you can lengthen your stroke and in turn slow your turnover rate and seemingly become a more efficient swimmer.  However, there comes a point as you slow your turnover rate that you simply aren't moving your arms fast enough to propel yourself quickly.  You may have a great catch and hold of the water, but in an attempt to maintain that great hold on the water you don't apply a great deal of pressure to the water and are slow.  At the other end of the spectrum is the person with the very high turnover rate.  There arms are almost flailing they are moving so fast.  The problem there becomes your arms are moving so quickly that you have no hold on the water.  Your hands/arms literally slip through the water and you don't move very fast.

In reality, there is a sweet spot where stroke efficiency and turnover rate combine to give you the best stroke for you and the race you are trying to compete in.  You can begin to find that sweet spot by using something called your SWOLF score.  SWOLF was derived by combining the terms swimming and golf.    Essentially you swim a lap counting your strokes (each hand entry counts as a stroke) and timing the lap.  You then combine your stroke count and the time in seconds.  For example, you said you counted 14 on one hand so your stroke count would be 28.  I don't know what your lap time would be so for the sake of discussion we will say it is 30 seconds.  Combining stroke count, 28 and time, 30 gives a SWOLF score of 58.  To attempt to find that sweet spot, or the most efficient stroke for you, you repeat the process trying different combinations of stroke rate, stroke length, and effort and then comparing results.  Which combination of stroke rate, stroke length and effort gives the lowest score?

It is REALLY important not to compare your strokes per lap to someone else, nor compare your SWOLF score to someone else.  For example, I am 6'4" and I have been a swimmer for over 45 years.  It is safe to say my stroke is longer than yours.  Not because I am a great swimmer but simply because I'm built different than you.  My SWOLF score is going to be lower than yours because I have swam millions of meters and you haven't.  Strokes per lap and SWOLF are great metrics when used to analyze your progress over time or to gauge efficiency.  They are useless to compare you to someone else.

As far as kicking, I am one of those that argues the kick provides very little forward momentum for the average age-group triathlete.  It isn't so much about saving the legs, although that is a consideration, as it is simply acknowledging reality.  Michael Phelps in his heyday got less than 10% of his forward propulsion from his kick and that was in events of only 100 or 200 yards/meters.  The average age-group triathlete gets less than 3-5% of their propulsion from their kick.  To put that into perspective, an average middle-of-the-pack triathlete will swim a sprint swim leg in 15:00.  Going from an average kick to an above average kick will lower that time to 14:53, a savings of 7 seconds.  To do that, you would elevate your heart rate and likely come out of the water well into zone 4, maybe zone 5 and you would likely be cooked and done for the day.  Sure, you may still finish, but any hope for a strong finish would have been left floating in the water.  My position is the kick is for balance.  A good kick will provide for that and not induce drag that would slow you down.

Hope that answers your question or at least gives you something to think about.

Edited by k9car363 2015-01-27 3:58 PM
2015-01-27 4:30 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Weightloss/Workout Challenge
Sorry for the delay for the points

I was on vacation...no computer

so here is my points

week 1/11
No weight change 5
360 minutes exerc 12 total 17 points

week 1/18

No weight change 185.9 so 5 points

i actually checked the scale....I was at all inclusive for the week...the scale works....I guess i burned calories at pool scuba etc
105 recorded exercise = 3.5

Total 8.5 points

thanks

Tom AKA matrixband12

Edited by matrixband12 2015-01-27 4:31 PM

2015-01-27 4:50 PM
in reply to: matrixband12

User image

Thank you Scott
2015-01-27 6:05 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Here are the updated points for last week.

(0125_weightloss_workout_rank.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0125_weightloss_workout_rank.jpg (67KB - 2 downloads)
2015-01-27 6:18 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by matrixband12

Sorry for the delay for the points I was on vacation...I guess i burned calories at pool scuba etc

thanks Tom AKA matrixband12

No worries Tom.  Vacation trumps points reporting anytime!

2015-01-28 8:39 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Subject: Speed work on the track
I went to the tri-team workout at a local high-school track last night. The workout was 2x(800m, 30sec rest), followed by 2x(200m, 30sec rest), repeat the whole sequence. We were supposed to go hard on the 800's and fast on the 200's.

I had run both the 800m (880yrd then) and 200m in Jr. High School track and really haven't tried them since. That was over 40 years ago. To my surprise, I found myself starting out at my old Jr. High School pace (PBs of 2:18 in the 800 and, I think, 27sec in the 200). This was not a conscious decision. I don't normally run those speeds - it's like I have some sort of muscle memory from when I was a kid. As you might expect, it didn't take long for my 56 y/o body to explain to my inner-child that THIS WAS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

In the end I ran the 800s in about a 7:20/mi pace and the 200s in about a 5:40/mi pace. The 7:20/mi pace feels like my natural pace. I just feel comfortable at that pace. If only my cardio-vascular and respiratory systems could handle that for longer distances. Hopefully, if I'm patient and consistent, I'll get there eventually!

Off to my weekly swim lesson.

Scott I.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open