BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-02-24 8:58 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: Training Plans
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Mountaindan

Deb This is a very good point! I have been using a marathon plan from a local coach that he designed for me, but there are certain workouts that are a real struggle for me. One in particular called for 2 miles easy, 3 miles at threshold, which he determined to be 8 min mile pace, that is a pretty fast pace for me at this point, add in very cold temps and icy roads where i run and I had a horrible time trying to keep that pace, I felt very discouraged and kind of took the wind from my sails for a few days! I have used BT's plans and felt very good when doing so. I like duration over pure mileage based programs, at least for me.

Dan

This sums up the distance/duration debate in a way that I think everyone will understand.  Let's imagine two runners, one that runs 8:00/mile at threshold and another that runs 12:00/mile at threshold.  Have both of them run the 5 mile workout that Dan referred to above.  The 8:00 runner will take about 40-44 minutes while the 12:00 runner will take about 60-64 minutes.  They both ran the same distance, but they did not have the same workout.  Nowhere near the same workout.

You can argue that both runners experienced the same intensity during their runs - running at threshold is about a 7 RPE or low zone 4 effort, doesn't matter what your pace is.  But that is where the similarity ends.

The 8:00 runner started out with +/- 20 minutes running aerobically followed by 24 minutes at threshold.  Meanwhile, the 12:00 runner began with 28 minutes running aerobically followed by 36 minutes at threshold.  The slower runner actually had the more intense workout even though they run slower because they spent a greater duration of time at the same intensity during the workout.  8:00 runner was at threshold 24 minutes - 12:00 runner was at threshold 36 minutes.

This is why it is better to plan your run and cycling workouts using duration rather than distance.  Instead of mileage, if this workout were written using duration it might of looked something like this:  Run 20 minutes in zone 2 followed by 30 minutes in zone 4.  That workout would be the same for anyone that does it.  Yes, the faster runner would have run further, but the intensity of both workouts would have been the same and the training stress to both of the athletes would have been the same.  The faster you are, the more you shortchange yourself by doing distance workouts versus duration workouts.

Swimming is a bit of a different animal because swimming is largely planned around intervals of a specific distance.  It has been shown repeatedly that getting in the water and swimming long durations will not apply the same training stress as swimming intervals.

So I will ask the question one final time.  Are you training by duration or are you training by distance?

Thanks for that explanation Scott! That makes a lot of sense to me and seems like a much better approach than distance. I used the BT beginner HIM plan for my 1st HIM and it worked out very well for me. I was a little surprised the coach I am using used the distance approach since we talked about using duration, I am meeting with him this weekend so I will stress that I need to go that route.

Scott, thank you, I still Love wearing the uniform, I am only a Guardsman, but enjoy what i do and still feel like I am doing my small part to support our mission. That little bit of crazy applies to me also I guess!

Thanks For the information on nutrition, I have always known that deep down, but never had the proof or gone to the trouble of enlisting a dietitian to give me what i need to do to really be successful, maybe it is time?

Dan

2015-02-25 6:44 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/22/2015 Check-In
From Tom

No change in weight 5
workout 6.5 hours 13

Total 18 points for the week

I hope all have a good weeek
2015-02-25 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by Mountaindan

Deb This is a very good point! I have been using a marathon plan from a local coach that he designed for me, but there are certain workouts that are a real struggle for me. One in particular called for 2 miles easy, 3 miles at threshold, which he determined to be 8 min mile pace, that is a pretty fast pace for me at this point, add in very cold temps and icy roads where i run and I had a horrible time trying to keep that pace, I felt very discouraged and kind of took the wind from my sails for a few days! I have used BT's plans and felt very good when doing so. I like duration over pure mileage based programs, at least for me.

Dan

This sums up the distance/duration debate in a way that I think everyone will understand.  Let's imagine two runners, one that runs 8:00/mile at threshold and another that runs 12:00/mile at threshold.  Have both of them run the 5 mile workout that Dan referred to above.  The 8:00 runner will take about 40-44 minutes while the 12:00 runner will take about 60-64 minutes.  They both ran the same distance, but they did not have the same workout.  Nowhere near the same workout.

You can argue that both runners experienced the same intensity during their runs - running at threshold is about a 7 RPE or low zone 4 effort, doesn't matter what your pace is.  But that is where the similarity ends.

The 8:00 runner started out with +/- 20 minutes running aerobically followed by 24 minutes at threshold.  Meanwhile, the 12:00 runner began with 28 minutes running aerobically followed by 36 minutes at threshold.  The slower runner actually had the more intense workout even though they run slower because they spent a greater duration of time at the same intensity during the workout.  8:00 runner was at threshold 24 minutes - 12:00 runner was at threshold 36 minutes.

This is why it is better to plan your run and cycling workouts using duration rather than distance.  Instead of mileage, if this workout were written using duration it might of looked something like this:  Run 20 minutes in zone 2 followed by 30 minutes in zone 4.  That workout would be the same for anyone that does it.  Yes, the faster runner would have run further, but the intensity of both workouts would have been the same and the training stress to both of the athletes would have been the same.  The faster you are, the more you shortchange yourself by doing distance workouts versus duration workouts.

Swimming is a bit of a different animal because swimming is largely planned around intervals of a specific distance.  It has been shown repeatedly that getting in the water and swimming long durations will not apply the same training stress as swimming intervals.

So I will ask the question one final time.  Are you training by duration or are you training by distance?

I do my run training by distance and my bike training by duration.  Being a slower runner (around 12:00/mile) I always figured that it was better to make sure I got the miles in and not just a specific amount of time, especially when training for a longer race.  So (not to be argumentative) I wonder if it really makes as much of a difference for those of us on the slower end?
Janet

2015-02-25 12:45 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

I train by duration

Sometimes Ill add a little time so that i end on an even or half mile interval while running....

On the bike.. I just use timed work out at this point and try to keep my heart rate zone 2

Tom
2015-02-25 2:37 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Weight Loss/Nutrition and Making Changes
Scott, Thank you for sharing your story about your weight loss journey, and what you have recently learned. It is a difficult health issue to succeed with long-term and I hope your new advisor helps you win.
I have an observation to share with some who have said they are exercising more but gaining, not losing weight.There have been a few occasions in the past when I was not as active as I am now and had some weight to lose. Every time, during the first month of working out I found that I gained weight. It was discouraging, but if I persisted it started to come off during the second month. Because I don't want to gain any back, I still weight myself daily & use the weekly average for my personal weigh-in record. That allows me to notice an interesting thing: on the day of a race or even a hard workout, I always gain a couple of pounds that disappears in a few days. When I was sick & not working out, I lost a few pounds (I was eating normally.)
I think the body must do something like retain water after a big effort as part of its recovery mechanism. If anyone has more information about this, I'd love to know.
Deb
2015-02-25 9:31 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Weight Loss/Nutrition and Making Changes

Scott - Really interesting reading your nutritional experience.  Can't say I've ever considered eating more to lose weight.

Deb - I like your idea of averaging your daily weight over a week.  My weight fluctuates quite a bit (175 to 183 this last week) so I'll have to look at the averages for the last couple weeks.

I never thought of it before but I train by duration.  At times I'll set distance goals but always I work to a planned duration.  I started by duration because I train with other people who are faster or slower so we start together and finish nearly together.  Open water swims tend to be distance based because we swim between two set points and everyone just swims their own swim.

Today, I ran a short 30 minute run.  I wanted to run 5K but I knew I'm just not fast enough but I did run 20 second sprints with one minute recovery in between (after a 10 minute warm-up).  I avoided checking my Garmin other than to know when to start the intervals.  In the end my average pace was my fastest to date at about 11:00/mile compared to my usual 12:00/mile.  

2015-02-25 9:40 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/22/2015 Check-In

Updated points -

(0222_weightloss_workout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0222_weightloss_workout.jpg (67KB - 3 downloads)
2015-02-25 9:51 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Speaking of Weight Loss!

(proper_scale_use.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
proper_scale_use.jpg (56KB - 3 downloads)
2015-02-27 1:57 PM

Subject: RE: Speaking of Weight Loss!
maybe ill finally be able to get a point for weight loss with this technique
2015-02-28 11:36 AM
in reply to: matrixband12

User image

Spencer, New York
I guess everyone died laughing.
Deb
2015-02-28 7:26 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Lol

2015-02-28 8:29 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Subject: My first HIM distance triathlon
This morning I registered for the Black Diamond long course triathlon (half iron distance). It isn't until mid-September, but now I'm committed.

Scott I.

---------------------------------------------

"Better to wear out than to rust out."
- Jack Lalanne
2015-02-28 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: My first HIM distance triathlon

Originally posted by EchoLkScott This morning I registered for the Black Diamond long course triathlon (half iron distance). It isn't until mid-September, but now I'm committed. Scott I.  

Good for you Scott.  Out of curiosity I checked out the Black Diamond website and it looks like a nice race.  Looks like some fair hills on the bike but not too much for the run.  What is your weather like in mid-September?

2015-03-01 9:27 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Subject: RE: My first HIM distance triathlon
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Originally posted by EchoLkScott This morning I registered for the Black Diamond long course triathlon (half iron distance). It isn't until mid-September, but now I'm committed. Scott I.  

Good for you Scott.  Out of curiosity I checked out the Black Diamond website and it looks like a nice race.  Looks like some fair hills on the bike but not too much for the run.  What is your weather like in mid-September?

Hi George,

We normally have nice weather in September. High temperature around 70 F and low in the mid-50s. July, August, and September are our dry months so the chance of significant rain is only about 10%. Morning low clouds are common.

I hear good things about the race.

Scott I.
2015-03-01 9:49 AM

User image

Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 3/1/2015 Check-In

Hey Everyone -

Here is the more detailed breakdown I promised for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.

How you earn points -

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • +/- 1 point per pound lost/gained, or fraction thereof
  • +1 point for every 30 workout minutes

Lost one pound (149) and I exercised 12hrs 44min (190 min swimming, 385 min biking, and 189 min running). So, my points for the week:

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • +1 points for 1 pounds lost
  • +25.5 point for 764 workout minutes
  • Total: 31.5 points

Good workouts this week! My shoulder is feeling a little better. Recovery day today!

Scott I.

2015-03-01 11:31 AM

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 3/1/2015 Check-In
wow very impressive week///

Are you doing 2 workouts a day...that is a LOT of time!!

Tom

2015-03-01 11:36 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Scott - Good luck with your HIM. Nice to see people starting to fill the race calendar. I feel like I need to get a race scheduled to give me a training target.

We had our second local indoor tri session this morning. (550yd swim, 10mile spin, 2.25 treadmill.) My swim remains mediocre, but sessions with a swim coach are helping my technique. I was happy with my run time of 17:36. It feels good to be getting back to last years pre-injury pace. Of course, the post race breakfast was the biggest highlight for me.

Here are my numbers for the week:

451 workout minutes: 15 pts
1 lb loss (back to even) 1 pt
no gain bonus 5 pts
Total 21 pts

I hope others are seeing signs of Spring, since it hasn't arrived here yet. This was the coldest Feb on record in Ct, with the average temp for the month coming in at 15.6 degrees. March isn't staring out too promising either, since today is our 5th straight Sunday snowfall. So it looks like yet another week of pool/treadmill/ bike trainer sessions.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Dave

2015-03-01 11:46 AM

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge -
I rode 2.5 hours today.....My sit bones are sore.....anyone use a bike seat padding?

Suggestions??

I ve got a split seat this year to combat numbess of the bits

Bike shorts as an option??

Thanks
2015-03-01 1:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by matrixband12

wow very impressive week///

Are you doing 2 workouts a day...that is a LOT of time!!

Tom

Thanks Tom,

At the moment I am, more or less, using the Beginner Triathlete "Olympic - 3x Balanced - 20 week" plan. It has 9 workouts a week (3 swim, 3 bike, and 3 run) and at least one day off, so three of the days have two workouts. On those days I tend to do a swim in the morning and a bike or run in the evening.

This week has been really nice - warm and mostly dry - so I did a couple extra bike rides.

Scott I.
2015-03-01 2:56 PM

User image

Hi All

I took the week off from training. My wife & I went on a short holiday.

This is exactly what I needed as I'd been training continuously for 13 months and training was starting to feel like a chore. On Wednesday I started to miss training and considered going for a run & a swim but resisted. I'm now really looking forward to this weeks training as I'm very keen and my knee feels strong.

Surprisingly I didn't put on any weight as most days we went for long walks in hilly areas.

5 points only this week in the Challenge.
2015-03-01 4:38 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge -
Originally posted by matrixband12

I rode 2.5 hours today.....My sit bones are sore.....anyone use a bike seat padding?

Suggestions??

I ve got a split seat this year to combat numbess of the bits

Bike shorts as an option??

Thanks

The more you can put your weight in the pedals, the less weight is on your hind end and the less sore it will be. The trick is to do this for 2 1/2 hours or more while keeping an acceptably high cadence, and without shifting your butt from side to side. It's a lot of work for your leg muscles & your core.
Also, bike shorts are a must I think.
Deb

2015-03-01 6:25 PM

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - Week March 1
My results

5 points no weight gain
1 point lost 1 pound....finally
16 points workout 8 hours

22 points total

Good luck to all
2015-03-01 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - Week March 1
No change in weight = 5 pts
Training = 160 minutes = 5 pts
Total 10 points.

Stu
2015-03-01 6:50 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Half Mary Results
Hi All,

Hope everyone has been having a good week of training. Mine was pretty much a disaster for multiple reasons, but on to next week.

This morning, did the half marathon down here in Florida. 2nd slowest ever, but I guess I better start getting used to results like that... not sure getting faster is in my future. Never say never, though.

It was hot and humid and I knew that would be a challenge after training in the cold all winter. Drank a ton before, during and after the race and was still dehydrated. Here's the race report for anyone interested.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I'll be intrigued to see if I recover faster with the walking or not. Regardless, that was a good strategy this morning. Most importantly, it was a much needed long run workout for the 10 miler later this month. Time to get back on track!

Stu
2015-03-01 7:32 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Half Mary Results

Good effort Stu. Warmer temps and humidity can make a big difference. My HR for my long run with intervals today was lower than my mostly easy long run last Sunday. Today was a good 15 degrees cooler.

For us old guys it is all about getting out there and doing our best on race day....there will be a day when we will be unable to. No time soon. Don' t forget that the Hoos are 27-1. That should be worth a smile.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open