BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-04-01 10:22 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Subject: RE: Weight Loss/Workout Challenge
Originally posted by k9car363

This is pretty much directed at those who are in the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.

Back when we started the challenge, I said we would likely end it around the end of March.  That was based on information that the winter mentor groups would likely end around the beginning of April.  Steve and I had a chat a couple days ago and our recollection is that the winter groups typically end around the middle of May.

I think, barring any disagreement from the group, that we should extend the challenge and have our final check-in on Sunday, May 3.  If the group suddenly ends before 5/3, we will go the the most current weekly results for the winner and I will contact you to arrange to get you "prize" to you.

Does that work for everyone?

Sounds good to me.

Scott I.

2015-04-05 11:57 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 4/05/2015 Check-In

Doctor cleared me for EASY running.  Went for a couple short easy runs, could tell I hadn't run in a few weeks but didn't collapse in the street so that was something to hang my hat on!

Workout minutes - 427

Weight loss - lost 2.3 pounds

Happy camper here!

2015-04-05 12:35 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 4/5/2015 Check-In

Hey Everyone -

Here is the more detailed breakdown I promised for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.

How you earn points -

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • +/- 1 point per pound lost/gained, or fraction thereof
  • +1 point for every 30 workout minutes

Weight went up to 152 (ugh!) and I exercised 11hrs 29min (230 min swimming, 330 min biking, 109 min running, and 20 min strength training). So, my points for the week:

• 0 points for no weight gain
  • -3 points for 3 pounds gained
  • +23.0 point for 689 workout minutes
  • Total: 20.0 points

It was a no-good very-bad week on the weight-lose front. Multiple celebrations, both at work and at home, that involved sweet treats. Time to jump back on the wagon!

Scott I.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You aren't old until age becomes your excuse." Joe Friel

2015-04-05 12:36 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 4/05/2015 Check-In

Doctor cleared me for EASY running.  Went for a couple short easy runs, could tell I hadn't run in a few weeks but didn't collapse in the street so that was something to hang my hat on!

Workout minutes - 427

Weight loss - lost 2.3 pounds

Happy camper here!

Congratulations Scott! That's really good news!

Scott I.
2015-04-06 10:47 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Scott,

Glad to hear you're on the mend and back on the street. Great news.

I did a bit of backsliding this week:

363 workout minutes: 12.1 points
2lbs gained -2 points
Total: 10.1 points

The snow is gone from the roads and bike paths, so my runs will be done outside from this point forward. Enjoyed a 7.5 mile tempo run on Saturday. Happy with my run progress over the winter. Next step is to take the bike off the trainer and get outdoors for a ride this coming weekend.

Happy training to all.

Dave

2015-04-06 10:51 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Scott - Glad to hear your very good news.  

Weight Loss Challenge:

6.78 hours working out = 13.5 points

No weight gain/loss     =   5 points

Total                           = 18.5 points  

I swam and ran today but I had a very near accident (my own fault).  I was running along a lakeshore and I was admiring the view and just enjoying the beautiful day when I almost ran into the back of a parked car.  I reacted fast enough that I only left two palm prints on the back end of the truck but I'm so glad I didn't leave a face imprint.  After I made sure no one saw what happened I continued on the run more embarrassed than anything.

2015-04-07 7:05 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
432 mins working out = 14.4
lost 2.5 lbs =2.5
no weight gain = 5
Total 21.9

Scott, Glad to hear you are moving forward so quickly!

Scott I, I don't know where you find the time for all of those hours, I guess i need to start adding a morning workout!

Like Dave, most of the snow is clearing off of the roads making running much easier, still need some rain to wash off all of the road grime before i head out on the bike.

Dan
2015-04-07 12:22 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Originally posted by Mountaindan

Scott I, I don't know where you find the time for all of those hours, I guess i need to start adding a morning workout!

Hi Dan,

Yes, I often workout twice a day. I swim 3 to 4 mornings a week and bike or run most evenings. Three to four hours of swimming and four to six hours on the bike trainer (low-volume TrainerRoad base training plan) gets me near ten hours. Two to three runs generally pushes me over the 10 hour mark. This week is a recovery week, so it will be less volume.

TrainerRoad is working really well for me. I can still get a good workout when the weather is bad or it's dark outside. I also get good feedback on my progress with the periodic FTP tests. I have to do some riding in the real-world to improve my bike-handling skills, but TrainerRoad has really helped me build power and endurance on the bike.

Scott I.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-04-07 7:16 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
I'm glad to have all of my injured & previously injured friends. I take encouragement from you. My sports med doc diagnosed me with high hamstring tendinopathy, and my PT says no speed, no hills; I can run, but zone 1 only and not more than 45 minutes at a time, up to 3 x/week. I should have gone to these guys last year when I had a worse injury. They are serious triathlete themselves, and they get it.
Fortunately biking doesn't bother me. I've started with the trainerroad and think I'll like it. I kind of like knowing I don't have to ride outside until the weather is really appealing. It's definitely not that yet!
Deb
2015-04-08 6:47 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - Current Point Totals

Current point for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge -

(0405_weightloss_workout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0405_weightloss_workout.jpg (60KB - 4 downloads)
2015-04-08 9:17 PM

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 4/5/2015 Check-In
Sorry for no show last two weeks on report

2 weeks combined

10 points no weight gain

4 points for 4 lbs lost

26 points for 13 hours exercise

42 points as on last Sunday

Happy Holiday, belated

Tom

2015-04-09 7:11 PM
in reply to: matrixband12

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: Training question
I'm getting ready to start a 16 week HIM training plan with the intention of entering the Timberman 70.3 race in August. The plan seems simple enough: 3 swims, 3 runs and 3 rides per week, with distances building as you go.

With that said, I'm a bit concerned about maintaining my core strength and flexibility during this time period. Over the winter, I typically did 8-9 workouts per week, with 2 yoga sessions and one strength/core session included as part of the 8-9 total workouts.

Looking at the HIM plan, Monday is a rest day and Tuesday is a single workout (bike). I'm wondering if I could still practice yoga on Monday night and do strength/core work on Tuesday night under the increased training load, or if that would be setting myself up for burnout. I'm interested in any insights or experiences my fellow Gray athletes would care to offer.

Thanks,
Dave
2015-04-11 11:01 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Training question
Originally posted by DJP_19

I'm getting ready to start a 16 week HIM training plan with the intention of entering the Timberman 70.3 race in August. The plan seems simple enough: 3 swims, 3 runs and 3 rides per week, with distances building as you go.

With that said, I'm a bit concerned about maintaining my core strength and flexibility during this time period. Over the winter, I typically did 8-9 workouts per week, with 2 yoga sessions and one strength/core session included as part of the 8-9 total workouts.

Looking at the HIM plan, Monday is a rest day and Tuesday is a single workout (bike). I'm wondering if I could still practice yoga on Monday night and do strength/core work on Tuesday night under the increased training load, or if that would be setting myself up for burnout. I'm interested in any insights or experiences my fellow Gray athletes would care to offer.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave--sounds like you've got a solid fitness base to work with. When I was working up to my 70.3 races I was pretty dedicated on getting my 9 tri specific workouts in every week over six days. I was following a similar program to yours that plugged in the nine workouts across six days. As I got into the meat of the schedule I found I really needed that full, complete rest day to regroup and recharge otherwise my workouts later in the week were compromised. .

I would think you can cautiously add in the Monday Yoga workout as long as you keep it relatively tame. I used to plug in a light weight workout on my Monday rest day. The key for me was to make sure the first priority was being ready to start the next week of training on Tuesday morning with energy. When I felt that the Monday night session was starting to hurt the quality of my Tuesday workout, I pulled the plug...which usually happened about mid-way through the 12 week build as the mileage, intensity and training hours continued to accumulate. I would use extreme caution with following that with a second core/strength workout the next night. Why temp fate with workouts that aren't fundamental to being stronger/faster in the swim, the bike or the run? The accumulated training hours build every week and it's very easy to push your body into overload.

I think the key for all us gray guys/girls is being hyper-sensitive to the signals and feedback we get from our bodies. That small hitch today quickly turns into a tender joint tomorrow. And just as quickly you're suddenly on the sideline with an overuse injury that costs you three weeks of training.

Good luck!

Steve

2015-04-12 9:04 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by lutzman

When I felt that the Monday night session was starting to hurt the quality of my Tuesday workout, I pulled the plug...which usually happened about mid-way through the 12 week build as the mileage, intensity and training hours continued to accumulate. I would use extreme caution with following that with a second core/strength workout the next night. Why temp fate with workouts that aren't fundamental to being stronger/faster in the swim, the bike or the run?

Thanks for the response, Steve. It seems like my thinking on continued yoga/strength training is fairly aligned with your suggestions. In looking at the numbers, my current s/b/r training volumes are at about the week 5 volume of this plan, so I'm cautiously optimistic that I can continue at least one yoga session/week for awhile. While I really like the Tuesday night strenght/core workout, If I'm being honest, I enjoy socializing with my fellow tri club members almost as much as the workout. Its one of the most fun training sessions each week. The class ends in mid May, about the time my HIM training ramps up. So I'll take it one week at a time and bag it if I start to drag.

Hope everyone has a great week. I'm looking forward to it., since Spring arrived here in a big way this weekend. 60 degrees and sunny !

Dave

2015-04-12 9:49 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Thanks for the response, Steve. It seems like my thinking on continued yoga/strength training is fairly aligned with your suggestions.

Hope everyone has a great week. I'm looking forward to it., since Spring arrived here in a big way this weekend. 60 degrees and sunny !

Dave

Spring here in Washington State as well Dave. Windy, but mostly in the 60's. Beautiful.

Good luck with the ramp up and the gym workouts. Like I mentioned before, just watch your day after training. If those start to feel sluggish or compromised, it's time to drop the evening gym workouts.

Good luck and stay healthy!

Steve
2015-04-12 11:59 AM

User image

Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 4/12/2015 Check-In

Hey Everyone -

Here is the more detailed breakdown I promised for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.

How you earn points -

• +/- 1 point per pound lost/gained, or fraction thereof
  • +1 point for every 30 workout minutes

Lost 1 pound (to 151) and I exercised 9hrs 53min (185 min swimming, 240 min biking, 148 min running, and 20 min strength training). So, my points for the week:

• +1 points for 1 pound lost
  • +19.8 point for 593 workout minutes
  • Total: 25.8 points

I finally finished the Base II training plan on TrainerRoad. I start the Sustained Power build plan tomorrow. The first ride is a 20-minute FTP test. I'll let you know how it goes.

Scott I.

2015-04-12 1:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Thanks, Dave

Dave--sounds like you've got a solid fitness base to work with. When I was working up to my 70.3 races I was pretty dedicated on getting my 9 tri specific workouts in every week over six days. I was following a similar program to yours that plugged in the nine workouts across six days. As I got into the meat of the schedule I found I really needed that full, complete rest day to regroup and recharge otherwise my workouts later in the week were compromised. 

I would think you can cautiously add in the Monday Yoga workout as long as you keep it relatively tame. I used to plug in a light weight workout on my Monday rest day. The key for me was to make sure the first priority was being ready to start the next week of training on Tuesday morning with energy. When I felt that the Monday night session was starting to hurt the quality of my Tuesday workout, I pulled the plug...which usually happened about mid-way through the 12 week build as the mileage, intensity and training hours continued to accumulate. I would use extreme caution with following that with a second core/strength workout the next night. Why temp fate with workouts that aren't fundamental to being stronger/faster in the swim, the bike or the run? The accumulated training hours build every week and it's very easy to push your body into overload.

I think the key for all us gray guys/girls is being hyper-sensitive to the signals and feedback we get from our bodies. That small hitch today quickly turns into a tender joint tomorrow. And just as quickly you're suddenly on the sideline with an overuse injury that costs you three weeks of training.

Good luck! Steve

Hey Dave,

Sorry I didn't respond faster - my wife and I went away for a couple days and I wasn't keeping up with the forum.

Adding to what Steve said, most pre-written triathlon training plans follow a general form of periodization (I attached a general periodization schedule below).  In addition to periodization there is the concept of specificity which says that if you want to become good at something you need to do that thing.  When you combine the concepts of periodization and specificity another simple guideline appears - the further out from your 'A' race you are, the less your training will look like your race; conversely, the closer to your 'A' race you are, the more like your race your training will look.

During the prep and early base phases your training will be quite different from your 'A' race - you may be doing things like swimming drills or isolated pedaling drills to improve technique, you may be doing yoga classes or lifting weights.  As an endurance athlete, you are never going to stop during a race to lift weights!   However, as you move through your training plan and begin to approach your 'A' race, your training will begin to look more and more like your race.  That is where specificity really begins to kick it - if you want to run 7:00 miles you need to run 7:00 miles in training.  If you want to swim 1:30/100 you need to swim 1:30/100 in training.

That is all a round about way of saying that during the prep and early base phases, adding yoga and/or strength training in to your plan will not be a problem.  As you get into late base and the build phase, your intensity and volume are going to begin to ramp up to a point where the recovery time becomes a premium.  Dropping yoga and wights at that point is not going to impact your fitness as you will have more than enough training frequency, volume and duration to continue to build fitness.

As Steve mentioned, you are going to need that rest day later in your training plan and that single "easy" bike ride on Tuesday won't look or feel so easy when all of the other training stress begins to pile on.

Hope that answers the question.

Edited by k9car363 2015-04-12 1:13 PM

(periodization general overview.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
periodization general overview.jpg (45KB - 5 downloads)
2015-04-12 1:32 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 4/12/2015 Check-In

Originally posted by EchoLkScott 

I start the Sustained Power build plan tomorrow. The first ride is a 20-minute FTP test. I'll let you know how it goes. 

Yeah, you enjoy that!  I believe a 20-minute FTP test is pretty close to the top of my least favorite things to do but that's just me.  You'll do fine!

2015-04-12 3:34 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Scott,

Thanks for the comments and periodization table. This gives me a bit more guidance around timing. At this point, I"m roughly 18 weeks out from the August race, so I'll probably continue yoga and perhaps strength for a few more weeks to see how I feel. My barometer will be how fresh I feel during my S/B/R workouts. I'm guessing that by mid May, I"ll shift to a build phase that is solely based on S/B/R workouts in the training plan. Of course, these things always sound great on paper, so we'll see what happens when the rubber meets the road.

Thanks again.

Dave
2015-04-12 6:28 PM

User image

Subject: RE: It's Official

I guess it is official... my husband and I registered for Calgary 70.3 on July 26.   Course now reading Wenceslasz's race report, I am more than a little nervous.  I live in a very hilly part of Montana and most of our runs and rides are hilly - just reading about them are a bit concerning.   I have only ever done an Olympic.

Anyway, I am still riding with my friend while she is training for IMCDA so my riding is a bit ahead of schedule and hilly since CDA is a hard hilly course.   We were supposed to ride for 4 hours today but the cold and wind gave us a rest day instead.   My two hour nap was awesome.

I have also signed up for a local triathlon tri clinic with a girlfriend that has never done a tri - so every Tues eve I will run or spin and every Thurs is a deck coached swim until May 28.   Right now - at least until May 28 I have two activities per day 5 days per week.  

I am concerned as I will be on vacation in NYC for 8 days the week before Calgary and I won't be able to bike- I do plan to run Central Park and will probably have to pay a visitor fee to swim at a local health club but my hubby says no worry - as it is part of taper.  

I would love to hear your expertise about your halves and training experience.

2015-04-13 6:30 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Weekly results:

307 workout minutes: 10 points

no weight gain : 5 points

Total: 15 points

2015-04-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: It's Official

Tammy - You'll have a great time in Calgary and I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say about Boise and Calgary.  The fellow I train with is from St. George, Utah and he's been trying to interest me in heading to Boise for their HIM.  Trouble is we have too long of a wish list.

You shouldn't have much trouble making the leap to a half just keep at your training plan.  And, don't underestimate the power of a nap and tapering properly.

The swim in Auburn Bay was quite nice - not too warm and NO weeds.  Some lakes can be gross but this was quite decent.  The wetsuit strippers I had were really good and fast - seemed like they had been trained.

The bike ride is a bit short (87.8 km or 54.6 mi) and the 2nd half is faster than the 1st half.  Wind can be a problem at times but you should be ready for rolling hills and wind.  There were only a couple really fast downhills, a couple biggish uphills but no hard climbs.  Best thing to help prepare is to add a 20 minute run off your bike after bike rides (as often as possible).

The run is mostly flat except for one nasty hill about 4K in (long and steady decline on the way out but hard coming back up to the finish when you're tired).  By all means ask questions if you think of anything you're unsure of.  

The only thing I'd be careful of in your trip before the race is restaurant food.  Your cycling shouldn't be a problem thanks to the taper.

I'm pleased to say I'm signed up for ChelanMan in Washington in July.  Somewhat apprehensive but it should be a good time.

2015-04-13 10:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Weight Loss Challenge:

13.96 hours working out    = 27.9 points (really good week for me but this week will be a lot slower)

No weight gain                 =  5 points

Only minimal weight loss.

Total                                = 32.9 points.

The whole week felt pretty good but I'm really glad to be on a recovery week.

2015-04-14 7:11 AM

User image

Subject: 20 Minute FTP Test

Originally posted by EchoLkScott 

I start the Sustained Power build plan tomorrow. The first ride is a 20-minute FTP test. I'll let you know how it goes. 

Yeah, you enjoy that!  I believe a 20-minute FTP test is pretty close to the top of my least favorite things to do but that's just me.  You'll do fine!

Well, that was a rare form of torture! This was my first 20-minute FTP test - I previously did 8-minute FTP tests. That period from 11 to 14 minutes was really tough!

My FTP has gone up roughly 4% in the last month.

I'm now in the "Sustained Power Build" plan. The rides are getting more interesting. First up - Avalanche Spire: "6x6-minute over-under intervals with 1-minute valleys at 95% FTP and 2-minute peaks that ascend to 105% FTP". Guess I get to feel-that-burn in my thighs again Wednesday!

Scott I.

2015-04-15 6:34 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Aaahh!
Finally we have had some nice-ish days, good enough to take the cycling outdoors. I had forgotten how much I really love it!
Deb
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open