BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-04-30 8:42 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: surgery tomorrow
Looks like things have been busy here, fell off the grid for a few weeks due to a family emergency, pretty much scrapped all plans for now until things settle down.
Hope everyone is doing well, especially those nursing injuries!
Hopefully I can catch up soon.

2015-05-01 3:08 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by Mountaindan

Looks like things have been busy here, fell off the grid for a few weeks due to a family emergency, pretty much scrapped all plans for now until things settle down.

Dan,
I hope your family emergency, whatever it is, settles down soon and with a positive result.

Deb
2015-05-01 3:11 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by lutzman

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by lutzman Heading for Seattle. Tomorrow morning I get my collarbone plated...which will hopefully finally get me on the road to recovery. The xray from two weeks ago pretty clearly shows how the collar bone hasn't healed. You can also see my top two ribs and the breaks that have sort of healed on those Moral of the story: Be careful on the bike! Steve

That x-ray was from two weeks ago?  And you have been living with that for how long?  Your a BEAST!

Good luck Steve, hope the surgery goes well.

Hey Scott:

Yeah, they took it April 20 at my pre-surgery meeting. Pretty nasty.

I'm back from surgery now. It took about two hours for the operation. Seemed to go well. On to recovery!

Steve

Steve, you certainly have had your trials & tribulations this year. It will be one to remember, and I hope nothing like it is ever repeated. I know it's hard to keep your spirits up through a long recovery; we are all rooting for you.
Deb
2015-05-01 7:55 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Mountaindan Looks like things have been busy here, fell off the grid for a few weeks due to a family emergency, pretty much scrapped all plans for now until things settle down.

Hey Dan,

Hope things get squared away soon in a positive fashion.

2015-05-02 8:58 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: 1st Marathon tomorrow
Running my first marathon ever tomorrow in Providence, one week away from my 58th birthday.

Dan, you picked a good winter to skip training for one, the snow here in Boston was brutal. Its May 2nd and I still have snow mounds melting in my town.

Thanks to Steve I think I have a good race plan.

Shhhh! Nobody tell Scott that I haven't been in the pool as much while training for this. I actually can't wait to start swimming more and start getting some open ocean swims in once the water temps get to the mid 50's. Today the the Boston Harba buoys are at 45 so I am hoping by the end of May.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2015-05-02 9:49 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: 1st Marathon tomorrow
Steve - What a test of patience and perseverance. That X ray sure looked nasty. Hope you are finally on a path to recovery.

Dan - Thinking good thoughts, hope things return to normal for you.

James - Good luck in the Marathon. Weather should be very nice for the event. I know a few Ct runners who will be there.

I'm not doing anything as ambitious as a marathon tomorrow, but I am running my first race of the year. Its a 15k run and is a "B" race for me.

2015-05-02 12:02 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: 1st Marathon tomorrow
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Running my first marathon ever tomorrow in Providence, one week away from my 58th birthday.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Have great day running your marathon, James.
2015-05-03 11:28 AM

User image

Originally posted by lutzman

Originally posted by lutzman Heading for Seattle. Tomorrow morning I get my collarbone plated...which will hopefully finally get me on the road to recovery. The xray from two weeks ago pretty clearly shows how the collar bone hasn't healed. You can also see my top two ribs and the breaks that have sort of healed on those Moral of the story: Be careful on the bike! Steve

That x-ray was from two weeks ago?  And you have been living with that for how long?  Your a BEAST!

Good luck Steve, hope the surgery goes well.

Hey Scott:

Yeah, they took it April 20 at my pre-surgery meeting. Pretty nasty.

I'm back from surgery now. It took about two hours for the operation. Seemed to go well. On to recovery!

Steve

Steve,

It's good to hear the surgery went well! Have a quick recovery!
2015-05-03 11:35 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 5/3/2015 Check-In

Hey Everyone -

Here is the more detailed breakdown I promised for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.

How you earn points -

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • +/- 1 point per pound lost/gained, or fraction thereof
  • +1 point for every 30 workout minutes

Weight unchanged (150) and I exercised 9hrs 42min (205 min swimming, 135 min biking, 222 min running, and 20 min strength training). So, my points for the week:

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • +0 points for 0 pound lost
  • +19.4 point for 582 workout minutes
  • Total: 24.4 points

2015-05-03 12:04 PM

User image

Subject: Half Marathon Report
I finished my first half marathon yesterday - the Cinco De Mayo half marathon in Snoqualmie WA. The course is really nice - a flat out-and-return route from Mt Si high school in Snoqualmie to the west base of Mt Si and back. The weather was perfect - sunny and 55 to 60 degrees F. It was a fairly small race - about 300 runners.

It didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. I went out too fast and paid for it in the second half of the race. My plan was to do a 3/2 run/walk for an average of 11 min/mile during the first half and then pick up the pace if I was feeling strong. If I'd followed that plan I think I would have done fine. I started near the back of the pack but still found myself seduced into running along at a sub 9 min/mile pace for the first 3 miles. By mile 8 my right knee and hip were starting to bark. I think it was the IT band. From then on I ended up walking nearly half the time and I was in a lot of pain (mostly the knee). I finished in 2:28.

I'm still in a fair amount of pain, although it has subsided significantly since last night. I think I'll have to shut down my training for a couple days to recover.

Lesson learned - I need to run my own race!
2015-05-03 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Half Marathon Report

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Putting the blinders on and executing YOUR race may be the single most difficult thing to do in endurance sport, especially multi-sport like triathlon.  It only gets harder as the distance gets longer.  Every Ironman you will find competitors that absolutely CRUSH the bike because they don't want to be passed, and then walk a death march on the marathon because they didn't follow their plan.  As opposed to those that ride a respectable bike split and reel everyone in that passed them on the bike during the run, plus some, because they did the ride they SHOULD, not the ride they COULD.

Very good that you recognized what you did.  I realize this was a HM but the theory applies to any endurance race - just because you CAN go faster, doesn't mean you SHOULD go faster.

Good job on completing the race!  A couple days to recover is probably the best thing you can do right now!

Edited by k9car363 2015-05-03 12:26 PM

2015-05-03 5:25 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 5/3/2015 Check-In
Under the heading of "too little, too late" here are my numbers for the week:

572 workout minutes 19 pts
1 lb lost 1 pt
no gain bonus 5 pts
total 25 pts

I had a good training week, building some swim/bike volume and capped with a 15k road race today.

We had a beautiful sunny day for the race, with temps around 60 and no wind. About 750 runners in the race. I met my goal of a sub 8:45 overall pace with an 8:41/mile finish. Ended up 13th of 35 in my age group ( there are a bunch of fast old guys around!)

My trainer said the goal was to practice pacing today, so we broke the run into three 5k segments. Did the first 5k split at a 9:00/mile pace, then moved the pace up a bit for the next 5k, with the final 5k being the challenging pace for me. It worked out as planned, since I was fairly strong at the finish.

When the race was done, I drove home and grabbed a quick nap, then hit the pool for a swim. After the pounding of this morning's race, it felt great to simply pull my legs along for the ride as I did my laps. This week is a recovery week - and I'm ready for one.

Hope everyone has a good week.
Dave

2015-05-03 7:33 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Spencer, New York
Dave--congrats on a well-executed race and a terrific overall time. I bet you passed a lot of runners in the last third!
Scott-- congrats on learning that same lesson. Sometimes we all have to learn the hard way. I hope your IT band & other body parts forgive you; be patient in recovery.
James--good luck in your marathon!
My duathlon (r-b-r-b-r) is on Saturday, and the meteorologists are predicting a high of 80° with thunderstorms in the late afternoon/early evening, right when the race is. That all makes me anxious--60° still feels like a heat wave to me, and that course will seem quite scary if it's raining. I hope they're wrong!
Deb
2015-05-03 7:35 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

. . . I met my goal of a sub 8:45 overall pace with an 8:41/mile finish. Ended up 13th of 35 in my age group ( there are a bunch of fast old guys around!)

My trainer said the goal was to practice pacing today, so we broke the run into three 5k segments. Did the first 5k split at a 9:00/mile pace, then moved the pace up a bit for the next 5k, with the final 5k being the challenging pace for me. It worked out as planned, since I was fairly strong at the finish.

When the race was done, I drove home and grabbed a quick nap, then hit the pool for a swim. After the pounding of this morning's race, it felt great to simply pull my legs along for the ride as I did my laps. This week is a recovery week - and I'm ready for one.

Hope everyone has a good week. Dave

Congratulations on a great race Dave!

You must have closed out really strong to finish with an 8:41/mile average.  You started with a plan then perfectly executed the plan.  Good job!

2015-05-03 9:26 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Recommended taper for HM and CdA training camp...

Scott  - do you have any details on the training camp?  I only ask because my training friend is signed up for IM CDA.

Originally posted by EchoLkScott I'm doing a Half Marathon next weekend and a 3-day training camp on the Coeur d'Alene Ironman course mid-May. The HM is a C-level race, so normally I wouldn't taper. On the other hand, it is a long distance for me and I would like to minimize the risk of injury. Likewise, there is a lot of running and biking at the CdA camp and I want to minimize my risk of injury. I'm thinking I might do a short taper for both the HM and the 3-day camp. Here is my idea and I'd like your feedback: Half Marathon (Friday May 2): Do a significant taper on the run (short run on Tuesday, nothing the rest of the week). Do normal bike workouts Monday and Wednesday but eliminate the Friday workout. Swim as normal M-Thu, but no swimming Friday. Training Camp (Friday 5/15 through Sunday 5/18): Pretty much the same plan. Short Run Tuesday and nothing else until the camp. Normal bike workouts Monday and Wednesday. Swim as normal Monday through Wednesday. Any thoughts or suggestions? Scott I.

2015-05-04 8:15 AM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Subject: RE: Recommended taper for HM and CdA training camp...
Originally posted by mtsnorider

Scott  - do you have any details on the training camp?  I only ask because my training friend is signed up for IM CDA.

You can find details here:

https://www.weraisethebar.com/training-camps.html

I've selected the three-day option. Friday is a long ride on the CdA bike course. Saturday is a short ride followed by a run on the CdA run course. Sunday is (possibly, depending on water temp) a swim followed by a long run. There is also a two-day option.

2015-05-04 12:12 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Half Marathon Report
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

I finished my first half marathon yesterday - the Cinco De Mayo half marathon in Snoqualmie WA.

It didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. I went out too fast and paid for it in the second half of the race.

Congrats on the half marathon Scott. I hope your recovery is fasst.

IMHO, hitting the right pacing is really critical to having a good race. But it's hard to do. Everyone is amped up that race day is finally here and when the gun goes off, everyone takes off like they are in the local 5k sprint. First thing you know you've run the first 5 miles way too fast. which gets paid for in the final five miles.

You'll be ready next time out!

Best,

Steve
2015-05-04 9:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Marathon Report
Very Happy!!!

I did it in 5:44, comes out to 13 mm miles and I predicted 5:45 but it didn't unfold exactly as planned. Tried to go out slow and let the crowd go but the first few miles were still under 12mm. Plan was to try and keep heart rate in the 130s till mile 20 and see how it goes. Well that went out the window, my heart rate (usually takes one mile before it reads properly) was low 140s during the first 9 miles (OK, I think this will be fine) then shot up to 150 after walking at a water stop at mile 10 (weird). Drank gatorade the whole race - walked at every water stop - had 5 gues at miles 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 22. Went through the halfway point at a 5:20 pace. I was feeling pretty good and went to a 11:30 pace from mile 14 to 18 then it just seemed like my legs went on auto-pilot and slowed down. The legs weren't sore they just weren't moving as fast and I didn't push. It was like my body and mind said we are OK but we are going to put this into cruise control, take it home and enjoy the rest of the way in. I think if I just stayed at a nice even 13mm throughout the race I would have been able to push a little harder at the end. 13 mm miles is about what I did my 20 mile training run in when I was just taking it easy and going by feel and that is what I should have stayed at. Hal Higdon whose novice marathon training plan I followed said you should be able to run 1 minute per mile less than your training pace so I just went with it after my heart rate plan went bye bye.. It was an out and back course so those hills at the beginning were there at the end. Last few hills were nothing as steep as I trained on but coming at mile 20 23 and 24 they winded up being very slow, others were walking the hills but I remained in running form albeit very slow.

Coming into the finish line was euphoric and I just took it all in, enjoying the moment with friends and family who were there waiting for me.

With turning 58 next week I am very proud of this accomplishment. A lot of things in life you have no control of and it is just really awesome that I did this and no one can ever take that away from me.

Lesson Learned:

- Trust your training.

Weather: First half was perfect 60 degrees with cloud cover then the sun came out but never felt overly heated.

Course: An out and back with hills at beginning and end but otherwise a pretty flat course. Nice combination of small city, scenic ocean, bike paths and a little residential. Crowd support wasn't crazy but there were pockets here and there who were very enthusiastic. Kind of cool running bike path along the ocean and seeing windmills and the city as you are reeling in the miles. Going into the finish line located in a smaller city was cool too. I was surprised the the crowd was still pretty good even when I came in.

Race Management: Pretty good seemed to be water stops when I needed it about every 3 miles and they were well manned even for us late slow runners. There were police or volunteers blocking traffic throughout the race. On streets where there was traffic they were coned off on the right side and were fine. Shirts were a little small but the medal was good and beefy. No 26.2 sticker in my bag though, so I guess I will have to go out and buy one.

Place to Stay: The Omni Hotel was right at start and finish line. I was able to sleep till 6:00 and make the 7:30 start. they also had a late checkout so you could shower after the race.

Recommendation: Yes, I would recommend this race.

Edited by JREDFLY 2015-05-09 8:24 AM

(PVD Medal 5-3-2015.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
PVD Medal 5-3-2015.jpg (2250KB - 3 downloads)
2015-05-05 5:44 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Marathon Report

Coming into the finish line was euphoric and I just took it all in, enjoying the moment with friends and family who were there waiting for me.

Congratulations James!

Next stop Ironman?

2015-05-05 11:29 AM
in reply to: #5075155

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED
Congratulations on your marathon finish! Love that the hotel was so close- a bonus. Great write up, thanks for sharing
2015-05-05 11:57 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Congratulations James on your marathon. It sounds like you were using your mind the whole way through. The locale seems lovely.
Deb

2015-05-05 6:43 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Congratulations, James. What an accomplishment!

I really enjoyed reading your report. Thanks for sharing it.

Dave
2015-05-05 7:32 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

We have come to the end of the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.  A couple people haven't checked in with results for the past week but I think it is safe to say that Scott I. is the winner!  Congratulations Scott!  You have consistently had some very impressive workout totals - keep it up!

If you will private message me your address I will get the mug shipped out to you.

(0503_weightloss_workout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0503_weightloss_workout.jpg (46KB - 3 downloads)
2015-05-05 8:51 PM

User image

Regular

Very Happy!!!

I did it in 5:44, comes out to 13 mm miles and I predicted 5:45 but it didn't unfold exactly as planned.

Congrats, James. Terrific accomplishment at any age, but especially at 58! Well done.

PS--not surprised you got pulled into the faster pace. It happens to everyone.

Steve
2015-05-05 9:28 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
James!!

Awesome job on the marathon... you're my hero!!!

Took a quick look at the route - I've run those paths a few times when we've visited our daughter in Providence. What a great spot to run. So happy for you!! (Nice bling too)

Congrats to Scott I on the contest - or the no contest - you ruled the roost! Nice job.

Sorry I've been AWOL for awhile, everyone. Too much travel / work and like a few other folks on here, had to fight through the dreaded flu / cold crud. At least the weather is finally cooperating :-) Yay for Spring. Did a Sprint 10 days ago in 40 degree drizzle. Felt pretty good, but time was 8 minutes off the last time I ran it (3 years ago). Missed the age group podium by 4 seconds which would have bummed me out, but my time was so disappointing, I didn't feel like I deserved it anyway. Anyway, I've had a decent week of training since then (trying not to overdo the opportunity to have a clear week for a change). Other than a 3 day trip coming up, I've got another two clear weeks. Hoping to make the most of it before it gets dicey again.

Keep up the healing Scott and Steve. Happy training to all!

Stu
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open