BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-05-05 10:08 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 5/3/2015 Check-In

Once again I've fallen behind.  Sorry!

Dan - Hopefully you're getting things settled back to normal for you.

Steve - Nasty x-ray.  Your ribs look like multiple injuries.  I hope you're recovering nicely from the surgery and feeling some better.  

Scott - 2:28 is a great time for your HM.  I'll be very happy to beat 2:40 (and 3:00 in a HIM)

Dave - Excellent race.  I'm not bad at ignoring other swimmers and swimming my own swim but running is harder to control.  I find I speed up when I hear someone approaching from behind and then when they pass me I also try to stay with them as long as possible.  I'm not so competitive that I hate people passing me, I just try and use them to get myself to run a little faster.  Not sure that it makes much difference though.

James - Running a marathon is on my bucket list - maybe next year.  I enjoyed your report and assessment of the run.  Enjoy your post race euphoria.  Looks like a nice medal as well.

Last week was a busy week for me:

Weight Loss Challenge - 

13.1 hours working out -      26.2 points

No weight gain -                       5   points

1lb weight loss                          1   point

Total                                          32.2 points

Congrats to echolkscott on winning the challenge.  You worked amazingly hard.

2015-05-06 8:30 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 5/3/2015 Check-In
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I find I speed up when I hear someone approaching from behind and then when they pass me I also try to stay with them as long as possible.  I'm not so competitive that I hate people passing me, I just try and use them to get myself to run a little faster.  

George - I'm pretty competitive by nature, so it's taken me a long time to get this tendency under control on the run. With that in mind, where I am very likely to "take the bait" and chase people is on the bike...and then I pay for it on the run, which really ticks me off! Even though I KNOW I shouldn't be doing it, sometimes I just can't help myself....
2015-05-06 2:52 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE:Pacing discussion
I'm loving all this discussion about pacing as I ponder my upcoming race on Saturday. It's a R-B-R-B-R duathlon that took me 2:11 to complete 2 years ago and 2:30 last year. Instead of having a time goal, my goal is to have negative splits, which did not happen either year.
With the length of the race, I understand that it's really important to go easy the first R & B, ramp it up for the 2nd R & B, and wait to pour out all that's left on the last run. What makes it seem hard is the discrepancy in the HR zones between the run and the bike. If I keep my run (1.7 miles btw) at the top of zone 2, the same beats per minute when I get on the bike is already at the top of zone 4. To compound the difficulty, on the bike, it starts right out with a fast, steep downhill and then climbs right up it again. (The whole route, 10.3 miles each leg, is up & down like that).
What happened last year, I believe, is that I started out too hard & blew myself up (that, & losing my way on the run.)
I never have really understood why the HR zones are different for running & cycling, but that does seem to be the case. My legs would fall off if I ever were able to bike at the same HR as I achieve running.
If anyone can explain this, or offer any thoughts or suggestions for this challenge, I'd love to hear them.
(At least the weather forecast has changed, from thunderstorms to just hot.)
Deb
2015-05-06 3:48 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Deb,

One question before offering an opinion: WHY would ANYONE willingly sign up for a R/B/R/B/R event? My legs are killing me just thinking about it! I'm kidding of course, but I am impressed.

I"m no expert, but if I were to guess at the possible reason for the difference, I would think that when running, the arms are actively engaged during the movement and you're pushing the ground away with every step, so the whole body is working. On the bike, you are supported, and while the effort can be great, I'm guessing the demand might be less comprehensive, since it is mostly a workload on your legs. Of course, I could be all wet here.

As far as strategy, if it were me, I might use a plan similar to what you describe: artificially slow pace on the first R/B (in the run, that means a pace where you could easily carry on a conversation) a bit faster on the second R/B (pace that is still conversational, but tough to talk) and the final run done at a pace that is as uncomfortable as you can withstand for the distance.

I'm already looking forward to your race report.

Dave
2015-05-06 8:06 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by DJP_19

Deb,

One question before offering an opinion: WHY would ANYONE willingly sign up for a R/B/R/B/R event? My legs are killing me just thinking about it! I'm kidding of course, but I am impressed.

Dave

Dave, the cycling is on the Watkins Glen International Speedway and it is a cycling experience like no other. No traffic, no gravel, no potholes, gradual banked turns, and designed to make you go FAST (on the downhills anyway.) It's just fun, but hard. Not too many women over 60. One disabled guy last year did it on an arm-powered recumbent bike, though I don't know what he did for the run.
Some people think it's more fun in a fast car, but I don't think I'd like that.
I just don't know how to lower my HR once I get on the bike.
Deb
2015-05-06 9:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Marathon Report
Steve: I promise I will get better with the pacing next time. I am going to lose another 20 pounds, increase the mileage and then I think I could get to under 5 hours (no chuckling please). I am just overwhelmed how many people run under 4 hours and how fast that is but the 3 and under is absolutely insane.

Scott: If you asked me right after the marathon would I put a 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike ride in front of what I just did I would say you are nuts. But the last time I asked myself if I was crazy enough to do something was when I volunteered at a triathlon 3 years ago and we know how that turned out. To answer your question, yes I am crazy enough to want to do an Ironman, I would love to do the Lake Placid Ironman someday.

Everyone: Thank you all for your well wishes and I hope you all have a great Tri season.

Stay safe out there!

James

Edited by JREDFLY 2015-05-06 9:41 PM

2015-05-06 9:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ok2try

I never have really understood why the HR zones are different for running & cycling, but that does seem to be the case. My legs would fall off if I ever were able to bike at the same HR as I achieve running.

If anyone can explain this, or offer any thoughts or suggestions for this challenge, I'd love to hear them.

Deb

Hey Deb,

That is a question that gets asked a LOT!

It seems to come down to the fact that swimmers and/or runners turned cyclists - that means a pretty fair number of triathletes - have comparatively weak leg muscles when measured against cyclists or cyclists turned triathletes.  In short, cyclists develop their muscles in a sport-specific way that allows them to generate more power than a runner or swimmer turned cyclist.  The greater muscle power results in higher oxygen use which forces a higher heart rate on the bike.  Pure cyclists have nearly identical HR's on the bike and on a treadmill, while runners/swimmers turned cyclists do not.

Compounding that is the fact that triathlon training, especially for the longer distances, favors endurance training on the bike - not strength or power training per se.

The "fix" is riding hills or, absent hill riding, pushing a VERY big gear at a low RPM which increases strength (and also places a great deal of strain on the knees).

Obviously that isn't going to help you on Saturday.  Using a HR monitor is going to be a challenge because, as you have observed, there is a significant difference in HR between the two disciplines.  If it were me, I would be inclined to NOT use a HR monitor and instead use the RPE equivalent to zones to guide my pacing efforts.  I would be looking for R-Z2, B-Z2, R-Z3, B-Z3, R-Z4.  Using RPE that would look something like R-5, B-6, R-7, B-7, R-8 (5 is low Z2, 6 is high Z2).

This is where a power meter really comes in handy.  With a PM you can use %FTP during the bike and HR during the run.  Without power, you have to do it the "old fashioned" way and rely on how  you feel - which sadly has become a lost art.

Good luck Saturday, hope that helps a little bit.

2015-05-06 9:18 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY

To answer your question, yes I am crazy enough to want to do an Ironman, I would love to do the Lake Placid Ironman someday.

James

James,

Every journey starts with a single step.  It occurs to me you are well past that first step.

Nothing would make me happier than helping you prepare for Ironman Lake Placid.  Look me up when you are ready and we'll start working on the plan.

Edited by k9car363 2015-05-06 9:19 PM
2015-05-07 7:57 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by JREDFLY

To answer your question, yes I am crazy enough to want to do an Ironman, I would love to do the Lake Placid Ironman someday.

James

James,

Every journey starts with a single step.  It occurs to me you are well past that first step.

Nothing would make me happier than helping you prepare for Ironman Lake Placid.  Look me up when you are ready and we'll start working on the plan.

Thanks Scott, I will need all the help I can get!!!

2015-05-07 5:22 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Deb,

Ok, I get it. Biking on the Speedway would be fun.

I'd guess you'd have to coast and/or downshift into an easy gear long enough to let your HR drop a bit, but its probably not that simple given the course layout.

Best of luck with your race strategy and execution. Standing by for the post race report.

Dave
2015-05-07 6:41 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Hey Deb,

That is a question that gets asked a LOT!

It seems to come down to the fact that swimmers and/or runners turned cyclists - that means a pretty fair number of triathletes - have comparatively weak leg muscles when measured against cyclists or cyclists turned triathletes.  In short, cyclists develop their muscles in a sport-specific way that allows them to generate more power than a runner or swimmer turned cyclist.  The greater muscle power results in higher oxygen use which forces a higher heart rate on the bike.  Pure cyclists have nearly identical HR's on the bike and on a treadmill, while runners/swimmers turned cyclists do not.

Compounding that is the fact that triathlon training, especially for the longer distances, favors endurance training on the bike - not strength or power training per se.

The "fix" is riding hills or, absent hill riding, pushing a VERY big gear at a low RPM which increases strength (and also places a great deal of strain on the knees).

Obviously that isn't going to help you on Saturday.  Using a HR monitor is going to be a challenge because, as you have observed, there is a significant difference in HR between the two disciplines.  If it were me, I would be inclined to NOT use a HR monitor and instead use the RPE equivalent to zones to guide my pacing efforts.  I would be looking for R-Z2, B-Z2, R-Z3, B-Z3, R-Z4.  Using RPE that would look something like R-5, B-6, R-7, B-7, R-8 (5 is low Z2, 6 is high Z2).

This is where a power meter really comes in handy.  With a PM you can use %FTP during the bike and HR during the run.  Without power, you have to do it the "old fashioned" way and rely on how  you feel - which sadly has become a lost art.

Good luck Saturday, hope that helps a little bit.

Scott, and Dave too, what you say makes perfect sense, but still tricky to execute. The more momentum you can generate on the downhill, which is immediately after transition, the less work you have to do on the challenging uphill that comes immediately after. I do plan to do my best to keep my RPE down;we'll see how well I do. Did I mention there are 6 of these hills on each leg? There'll be lots of opportunity for trial & error.
Last year I followed a BT plan, and I have to say it didn't include enough hill work. I didn't think so at the time, but I was committed to following it. All of the tri's around here are substantially hilly, and I thought I was not able to do as well as I should on the hills. This year I plan to divide my time between trainerroad and outside rides, with those to include lots of hill work and also long rides.
The older you get, the smarter you have to be!
Deb

Edited by ok2try 2015-05-07 6:42 PM

2015-05-07 8:29 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I'd guess you'd have to coast and/or downshift into an easy gear long enough to let your HR drop a bit . . .

Yeah, you actually don't want to coast on the downhill.  Ideally you will maintain a steady effort on the climbs as well as the descents - that means you may have some smokin' descents which will help on the next climb..  If you have power that is very easy to do.  If you are riding using RPE it is a bit more challenging but manageable nonetheless.  Yes, your HR will be higher coming off of the run, but if you are riding at the correct exertion level, your HR will come down.

Another thought Deb, that first bike leg, if people aren't passing you, you're probably going to fast.  Keep your pace manageable and ride/run your race - when people pass you on the bike, just think to yourself, "Yeah, I will be seeing you again in a little bit when you explode," and don't let them passing you tempt you to stray from your plan.  All those people will come back to you and you will begin passing them towards the end when they blow up and you are strong because you executed your plan.

2015-05-08 7:06 AM

User image

Spencer, New York

I'd guess you'd have to coast and/or downshift into an easy gear long enough to let your HR drop a bit . . .

Another thought Deb, that first bike leg, if people aren't passing you, you're probably going to fast.  Keep your pace manageable and ride/run your race - when people pass you on the bike, just think to yourself, "Yeah, I will be seeing you again in a little bit when you explode," and don't let them passing you tempt you to stray from your plan.  All those people will come back to you and you will begin passing them towards the end when they blow up and you are strong because you executed your plan.

Oh ha ha ha, you gave me quite the early morning chuckle. Those people passing me are under 50, many on their very expensive bikes, with Power Taps no doubt. I see them again when they lap me. The casual bucket-listers do it as a relay, so they get to rest.
I think a power meter might be my next big purchase, but not this year. I see the challenge of this race as doing better with the feel of RPE. I've gotten better with that while running, but cycling not so much practice or thought. Since my limiter on the bike is muscular strength/endurance not cardiovascular, would I not need to pay attention to how the muscles feel more than the conventional breathing zones?

Deb
2015-05-08 7:48 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

I think a power meter might be my next big purchase, but not this year. I see the challenge of this race as doing better with the feel of RPE. I've gotten better with that while running, but cycling not so much practice or thought. ?

Deb

Deb--i bought a Power Tap last year. I wasn't sure how helpful it would be but I had read so many people raving about the benefits I figured I just better step up and give it a try. I can tell you it completely changed my bike training. Coming from a running background I had the same HR issues you mentioned earlier. Plus I lacked the long term experience on the bike to really make "perceived effort" meaningful.

The Power Meter takes away all of the guess work. It is just a fabulous tool.

If you can make it happen, I highly recommend it.

Steve
2015-05-10 6:37 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Happy Mothers Day!
Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms out there!
2015-05-11 5:50 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Deb--i bought a Power Tap last year. I wasn't sure how helpful it would be but I had read so many people raving about the benefits I figured I just better step up and give it a try. I can tell you it completely changed my bike training. Coming from a running background I had the same HR issues you mentioned earlier. Plus I lacked the long term experience on the bike to really make "perceived effort" meaningful.

The Power Meter takes away all of the guess work. It is just a fabulous tool.

If you can make it happen, I highly recommend it.

Steve

So, Steve, I take it I need to get the Powertap Joule cycling computer as well? Anything else? If I want HR data on the same device, can I use the same bluetooth monitor I use with trainerroad?

My race report is finally up. So many legs!
The short story:
I couldn't be happier with how I paced this race. Not only were the splits negative (except the 1st run, which was :51 faster than the 2nd) but if I compare my percentile ranking among all women, it tells quite a story: For the three run segments, it went from 7th percentile to 19th to 30th; for the bike segments it went from 19th to 35th percentile. Even for transitions, it went from 32nd percentile to 44th to 56th to 51st. For a race in which 75% of the women were under 50 years old, I think that's very satisfactory. Overall I was 34th of 43 women, or 21st percentile.
Because there are so few competitors in my AG (in this race, only me), I like to compare my times with the entire group of women of all ages. What these numbers tell me is that as I got a little faster, they got quite a bit slower. Also using percentiles allows me to compare my performance from race to race.
Except for trying to put my helmet on backwards I had as good a race as I could have had on this day, given my training to date.
Deb

2015-05-11 7:22 PM

User image

Regular
Deb:

I believe you'll have to have either a Joule or a Garmin device, depending on the model that you go with. Different power meters have different technology. I decided to go with a Powertap since I already had a Garmin 510 and a Garmin 910...both of which work perfectly to record all of your data on the bike. But it really is great to add power to your HR, cadence and time. Very revealing.

I needed a new wheel, so I had WheelBuilder make me a Zipp 808 with the PowerTap built it. I really do love it.

Good luck.

Steve
2015-05-11 7:23 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: I'm screwed.

User image

Regular
Subject: I'm screwed.
Lliterally.

That's how my clavicle now looks. No workouts for four weeks, but I can start cycling on the indoor spinner next week.

Edited by lutzman 2015-05-11 7:27 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: I'm screwed

(clavicle plate.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
clavicle plate.jpg (607KB - 4 downloads)
2015-05-11 8:32 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: I'm screwed.

Originally posted by lutzman Lliterally. That's how my clavicle now looks. No workouts for four weeks, but I can start cycling on the indoor spinner next week.

Steve,

Guess you better keep a letter from the doctor in your pocket cause you're gonna be setting off airport alarms!

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.

Edited by k9car363 2015-05-11 8:42 PM

2015-05-11 8:41 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

So, Steve, I take it I need to get the Powertap Joule cycling computer as well? Anything else? If I want HR data on the same device, can I use the same bluetooth monitor I use with trainerroad? . . .

Deb

Hey Deb,

I don't remember what kind of watch you have but I seem to recall it was one that doesn't always play nice with other devices (I vaguely recall a discussion along those lines).  At any rate, you can simply ask, will this power meter work with my watch?  There are enough PM's out there now days you should be able to find something that is compatible unless your current watch simply won't accept power data.  If it won't you can pick-up a Garmin 910XT real inexpensively now days because it is "old technology" as it has been replaced with the 920XT and/or the Fenix3 - OR - you can pick-up a Garmin 510 fairly inexpensively on Amazon and just have the cycling computer.  I personally have an 810 because I prefer the dedicated bike computer - mainly because I can see it better, but also because the 810 has GPS maps similar to what you might have in your car.  Lots and lots of options out there now days and you don't have to necessarily mortgage the house to get them - which is an improvement over years past.

Edited because I just had a thought - I don't believe the 910XT talks to Bluetooth devices (your HR monitor).  That is one of the improvements with the 920XT and the Fenix3.  Make sure if/when you start looking at devices, that all your devices talk to each other as needed (HR, Speed/Cadence, PM -> watch and/or bike computer).  All of my stuff is ANT+ so I don't have to worry about compatibility too much.  Most of the new stuff will broadcast on both ANT+ and Bluetooth, and most of the newer devices will also receive both . . . I think.  Make sure you ask and have them show it to you in the device specs before you plunk down your hard earned dollars.

Edited by k9car363 2015-05-11 8:48 PM
2015-05-12 5:37 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: I'm screwed
That looks painful.

My 12 year old son was very impressed.

Glad to hear you will be on the bike soon.

Don't rush it, we all know how that goes.

Good Luck Steve.

Edited by JREDFLY 2015-05-12 5:39 AM
2015-05-12 10:41 AM

User image

Subject: RE: I'm screwed
That is one impressive piece of hardware Steve! Glad you're back on the road to recovery!
2015-05-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Subject: Off to CdA training camp
Hi Grays,

Anyone racing this weekend?

This morning I'm driving to Coeur d'Alene for a 3-day training camp on the Ironman course. The camp is mostly for those members of our tri-club that are competing in the CdA Ironman in June, but there a few of us preparing for HIM's later in the season. Weather looks good - high temperatures around 70 and winds below 10mph. Should be fun!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open