BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-06-15 5:18 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: How Far Should I Swim in Training for My Triathlon?

Originally posted by lutzman
Originally posted by EchoLkScott
Originally posted by k9car363

Dang, I didn't notice this before. I need to up my workout distances. Or, in doing more workouts per week?

Thanks!

Scott,

There is nothing lost by doing two swim workouts a day.   The important thing is the total yardage.

So 9,600 to 12,600 yards per week. I can get into that range with either 5 workouts a week or 4 extended workouts a week. That's doable! Thanks Scott!
I swam 10,500 yards this week, up from an average of 6,000 yards per week for the last couple months. Kept the bike, run, and strength workouts pretty much the same. I am TOTALLY EXHAUSTED! I mean "falling asleep at my desk" exhausted! I may have to build gradually to this >10K yards per week level. Business trip next week. That's going to cut into my training a bit.
Scott--nice workouts. But be cautious about pushing it to the point of total exhaustion with any regularity. At some point this will almost certainly have a negative impact your bike/run workouts. Total exhaustion for one week might be OK. More than that and somethings gotta give....and that's usually not a good outcome for us gray guys.

^^^ X2

Scott,

This is an expression of profound wisdom from a very experienced Gray Guy.  Total exhaustion is NEVER a good idea unless it's race day.

2015-06-15 5:21 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: weekend update

"Why are you riding around without a flat kit when you have this jumbo-sized bento box that could carry a small dog."

Steve

Yeah, had those words escaped your lips I am not sure playing dead would have helped!

Just curious, how does your wife feel about being compared to a bear in the wilderness? 

2015-06-15 11:18 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

"Why are you riding around without a flat kit when you have this jumbo-sized bento box that could carry a small dog."

Steve

Yeah, had those words escaped your lips I am not sure playing dead would have helped!

Just curious, how does your wife feel about being compared to a bear in the wilderness? 

Scott:

Have you seen my wife? Kidding. She'd be OK,. After 33 years of marriage she pretty much knows I'll crack jokes on just about anything. But since I'm a guy who wants to stay married, in this situation I knew enough to not say anything other than to feign mild shock regarding her lack of a patch kit and tools.

And we all lived happily ever after.

Steve
2015-06-16 1:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Spencer, New York
Sometimes I'm as proud of what I do TO my bike as what I do ON it. First 100% successful rear derailleur adjustment after several years of trying to get it right. For someone with no native mechanical talent, that's pretty good.
Thank you YouTube!
Deb

Edited by ok2try 2015-06-16 2:02 PM

(bike on stand.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bike on stand.JPG (162KB - 57 downloads)
2015-06-16 6:57 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Regular
Originally posted by ok2try

Sometimes I'm as proud of what I do TO my bike as what I do ON it. First 100% successful rear derailleur adjustment after several years of trying to get it right. For someone with no native mechanical talent, that's pretty good.
Thank you YouTube!
Deb

Good on you, Deb. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I'm always thinking I'll screw something up and then be stuck with my bike in the shop getting repaired from my mistakes. I admire your fearlessness in taking on your adjustments.

My Felt DA2 has a crazy rear brake that is an absolute to adjust. One little adjustment and the brake calipers won't release causing the rim to rub against the brake pad even when fully released. It drives me crazy. Even the LBS guys struggle with it. I'm afraid to touch it myself and half-afraid to take to the shop to have them screw it up. Let me know when you've mastered brake repair and I'll send my bike down!

Steve
2015-06-17 6:30 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Good on you, Deb. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I'm always thinking I'll screw something up and then be stuck with my bike in the shop getting repaired from my mistakes. I admire your fearlessness in taking on your adjustments.

My Felt DA2 has a crazy rear brake that is an absolute to adjust. One little adjustment and the brake calipers won't release causing the rim to rub against the brake pad even when fully released. It drives me crazy. Even the LBS guys struggle with it. I'm afraid to touch it myself and half-afraid to take to the shop to have them screw it up. Let me know when you've mastered brake repair and I'll send my bike down!

Steve

If I had a really nice, expensive bike I'd probably be afraid to touch it. But I've gone the route of inexpensive Craig's-List bikes so I'm not afraid to fiddle with them. I've been able to do a lot of customizing.
It's a fun challenge; plus to do anything at my LBS this time of year would be a wait of a week or more. They've been very tolerant of my DIY attempts, and even give me advice when I ask.
Deb

2015-06-19 12:34 AM
in reply to: #5075155

User image

Subject: In the hospital...
nothing triathlon related - just an obstruction of my small intestine. Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow. Very frustrating!

Scott I
2015-06-19 3:18 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: In the hospital...

nothing triathlon related - just an obstruction of my small intestine. Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow. Very frustrating!

Scott I

Hope surgery insn't required & that you're not set back much.
Deb
2015-06-19 3:18 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Scott I

Hope surgery insn't required & that you're not set back much.
Deb
2015-06-19 7:20 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott nothing triathlon related - just an obstruction of my small intestine. Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow. Very frustrating! Scott I

Next time, your supposed to OPEN the gel pack before swallowing, not just pop the whole thing in your mouth!

Seriously though, hope you're out quickly and feeling better soon.

2015-06-19 7:44 PM
in reply to: #5123546

User image

Subject: In hospital until Sunday
You mean the gel pack doesn't dissolve?

Thanks Deb and Scott.

It looks like they will keep me here until Sunday, and the Dr threatened me with the 'S' word (surgeon). I've been jogging up and down the halls trying to shake things loose. The nurses just shake their heads and exclaim 'Triathletes!'.

2015-06-20 12:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: In hospital until Sunday

Scott - Hope you're back to normal pretty quickly.  

I had a good swim week this week.  Total of 7440m in 3 hours.  After my Wednesday swim I came out of the lake and transitioned to my run gear and ran another 1:30 and felt pretty good.   I've got a 5:30 bike ride planned for Sunday.

This week my weight hit 170 lbs.  I can't remember when I ever weighed this low.  It had to be in the sixties. 

2015-06-20 9:57 AM

User image

Regular

Scott I

Sorry to hear it Scott. Hope you're back on your feet soon.

Steve
2015-06-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Scott - Hope you're back to normal pretty quickly.  

I had a good swim week this week.  Total of 7440m in 3 hours.  After my Wednesday swim I came out of the lake and transitioned to my run gear and ran another 1:30 and felt pretty good.   I've got a 5:30 bike ride planned for Sunday.

This week my weight hit 170 lbs.  I can't remember when I ever weighed this low.  It had to be in the sixties. 

Nice! What a great thing to be able to say,, "I can't remember when I ever weighed this low." A testament to hard work and consistency!
The older i get the more I appreciate people like you George who are living examples of health!

Steve
2015-06-20 10:08 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: weekend
Hope you're all having a great weekend. Anyone racing?

I'm in New York City for a long weekend with my lovely wife celebrating our 33rd anniversary. We've taken in a couple of Broadway shows and tonight is the Billy Joel concert. But I'm really excited that I'm now (finally) starting to be able to run again...which isn't bad for six weeks after surgery. Yes, I'm fat and slow. The good news is I've been able to run 3 days in a row for the first time in over a year...and tomorrow will be four!

Monday I have my final clearance appointment with my surgeon. I''m anticipating that he will give me the green light to start swimming again! Small steps, but moving forward! By late next week I should have stories of my near drowning experience as I return to the pool!

Have a great weekend everybody!

Steve
2015-06-20 7:09 PM

User image

You mean the gel pack doesn't dissolve?

Thanks Deb and Scott.

It looks like they will keep me here until Sunday, and the Dr threatened me with the 'S' word (surgeon). I've been jogging up and down the halls trying to shake things loose. The nurses just shake their heads and exclaim 'Triathletes!'.

I'm home from the hospital. Not 100%, but definitely doing better.

2015-06-21 5:15 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: weekend
Scott - Glad to hear you are recovering

Steve - Nice way to spend an anniversary weekend.

I completed my first Olympic distance race yesterday. The Pat Griskus Olympic Tri was held in Middlebury, Ct at the same site as the Challenge Series event. Its a nice venue and a tough course. Plenty of hills.

I had mixed feelings going into this event. On one hand, my training volume in the bike and run has been fine under the HIM training plan. On the other, I knew that I would be a bit under trained in the swim portion, based on both discussions posted here and my own instincts.

My race results were:

Swim: 39:31 This was a full mile swim. Since I had never done this distance in OW, I focused on trying not to worry about the distance, but to simply keep my pace steady and not come out of the water whipped. I did the distance, but not without a few stops and starts. Came out of the water feeling ok.

T1 2:30 I felt pretty good with this time. It was on the low side among the field of racers.

Bike: 1:32:17 Tough bike segment for me. A very hilly course and I'm still mulling over the factors that contributed to my time. I'm guessing that I was not recovered enough from the swim segment and as a result, I was not in a good position to push the pace during the climbs on the first half of the bike. I have done quite a bit of hilly bike volume recently, but I just didn't have enough in the tank to push as hard as I wanted to yesterday. After several miles, I realized that I was going to have to simply grind it out at a slow climb and hope to recover for the run. This was about 7-9 minutes off my target time.

T2: :56 happy with that time. Among the fastest in the field.

Run: 54:28 Roughly an 8:47 pace over the double loop course. As with the bike, there were some uphill segments that really made me work. Overall a decent run for me.

Overall finishing time was 3:09:40 , or # 143 of about 194 finishers, so I clearly have lots of room for improvement.

Summary: Positives were my solid transitions and ability to recover and do a good run after struggling earlier in the race. Negatives are my swim fitness and ability to adjust my strategy on the bike with such a hilly course. Overall this was a good learning experience on my way to the HIM in August.

Best part of the day was the return home. As I pulled into the driveway, my next door neighbor's kids (8, 6 and 4 years old) ran over to show "Mr. Dave" their body markings and medals from participating in the local "Kids Tri in Farmington" event. Abby, Delaney and Nolan each medaled in their events, with Delaney participating in the swim while wearing a bikini! We took this group shot and you'll notice that I was the only one who didn't bring home a medal, lol.

(tri kids compressed.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
tri kids compressed.jpg (133KB - 27 downloads)
2015-06-21 8:22 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Originally posted by DJP_19
  • Overall finishing time was 3:09:40 , or # 143 of about 194 finishers, so I clearly have lots of room for improvement.

Summary: Positives were my solid transitions and ability to recover and do a good run after struggling earlier in the race. Negatives are my swim fitness and ability to adjust my strategy on the bike with such a hilly course. Overall this was a good learning experience on my way to the HIM in August.

• Congratulations Dave! Sounds like a very successful first Oly!
    2015-06-21 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

Dave - Well done on your Oly.  And, having good neighbour kids is priceless too.

Scott - I hope you're continuing to improve.

Steve - Hope you're having a great weekend.

I don't feel quite so much of an athlete after my bike ride today.  I had to cut the ride short by 38 minutes (4:52 rather than 5:30) and I was in considerable "sit bone" and left knee discomfort.  Before today I felt like I was on track for a full distance race in August but after my ride today I'm feeling like I would be unable to finish the bike ride.

I had the saddle fit by a professional for previous discomfort issues but it doesn't seem to be working anymore.  I hope I can get it fixed PDQ.  Otherwise I'm in for more painful rides.

2015-06-22 12:29 AM

User image

Regular

Scott - Glad to hear you are recovering

Steve - Nice way to spend an anniversary weekend.

I completed my first Olympic distance race yesterday. The Pat Griskus Olympic Tri was held in Middlebury, Ct at the same site as the Challenge Series event. Its a nice venue and a tough course. Plenty of hills.

My race results

Bike: 1:32:17 Tough bike segment for me. A very hilly course and I'm still mulling over the factors that contributed to my time. I'm guessing that I was not recovered enough from the swim segment and as a result, I was not in a good position to push the pace during the climbs on the first half of the bike. I have done quite a bit of hilly bike volume recently, but I just didn't have enough in the tank to push as hard as I wanted to yesterday. After several miles, I realized that I was going to have to simply grind it out at a slow climb and hope to recover for the run. This was about 7-9 minutes off my target time.

Hey Dave:

Congrats on your race. Sounds like you had a decent day and learned a lot as well.

Just curious, do you know the gearing on your cassette? My bike came with a 12-23. The hills got MUCH easier as soon as I switched it out to a 12-28. Just a thought.

Steve
    2015-06-22 6:26 AM

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA

I completed my first Olympic distance race yesterday.

Congrats Dave on your first OLY - Quite an accomplishment!

2015-06-22 12:01 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
    Steve,

Believe I have a 12-23. Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to check into that.

Dave
    2015-06-22 12:45 PM

User image

Regular

Steve,

Believe I have a 12-23. Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to check into that.

Dave

Dave:

Since I'm not a long time cyclist, I lack strength. Hence, I usually try to keep my cadence a little higher to offset the power deficit without giving away too much speed. That's tough to do on hills. The 28 tooth gear has made a huge difference for me to be able to spin up hills versus grunt my way to the top. On hilly courses I'm even tempted to switch to a compact crank or switch out to 12-32. Yes, granny gear. But as you pointed out, hitting the hill tops with legs feeling good is huge.

Steve
    2015-06-22 5:23 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
    Nice race Dave!
    And nice picture too. Here I always thought you were a Labrador.
    Deb
    2015-06-22 6:28 PM

User image

Regular
    Subject: RE: News you can use
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open