BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-06-22 7:09 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: weekend
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I don't feel quite so much of an athlete after my bike ride today.  I had to cut the ride short by 38 minutes (4:52 rather than 5:30) and I was in considerable "sit bone" and left knee discomfort.  Before today I felt like I was on track for a full distance race in August but after my ride today I'm feeling like I would be unable to finish the bike ride.

I had the saddle fit by a professional for previous discomfort issues but it doesn't seem to be working anymore.  I hope I can get it fixed PDQ.  Otherwise I'm in for more painful rides.

If you've ever noticed the very narrow saddles used by pro cyclists you'll wonder how they do it. The answer: the proportion of their body weight that is in their seat compared to in their feet is much less than yours or mine, even at high cadences.
For myself, I notice that my bottom hurts the most when riding easy for lengthy periods. I can relieve that by putting more weight in the pedals, not standing but almost, almost hovering over the seat. Of course this takes more quad strength, which I don't have that much of yet. But I'm working on it ; and building up my volume very gradually.
I also had a bad ride on Saturday. I put the complete story in my training log, which you can look at if you're my friend, which you all should be.
Deb

2015-06-22 8:03 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by ok2try

Nice race Dave!
And nice picture too. Here I always thought you were a Labrador.
Deb

Thanks, Deb.

While I do bear a slight resemblance to Bo, my 3 yr old Lab, its easy to tell us apart. Bo is a much better swimmer.
2015-06-22 8:06 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

. . .  I'm in New York City for a long weekend with my lovely wife celebrating our 33rd anniversary. We've taken in a couple of Broadway shows and tonight is the Billy Joel concert.

Steve

Steve,

Nice!  Just wondering, is this the penance for comparing your wife to a bear in the wilderness? 

Glad you finally back on track!

2015-06-22 8:14 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

I completed my first Olympic distance race yesterday..

Good job on your first Olympic "Mr. Dave!"

2015-06-22 8:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I had the saddle fit by a professional for previous discomfort issues but it doesn't seem to be working anymore.  I hope I can get it fixed PDQ.  Otherwise I'm in for more painful rides.

George,

When you say you "had the saddle fit by a professional," what does that mean?  Did you have a bike fitter tweak the saddle or did you have your LBS make a couple adjustments?  Your bike fit can change over time as your fitness changes.  If you are confident your overall bike fit is good, it might be time to consider a different saddle.  I am a huge fan of Cobb saddles.  They have one of the best return policies around so you can try a saddle for a few weeks and return it if it isn't working for you.  Cobb has enough different saddles I am fairly confident you can find one that will do magic for the sit bones. 

If you give them a call they will be happy to talk with you and offer some suggestions.

http://www.cobbcycling.com/content/home

Edited by k9car363 2015-06-22 8:31 PM
2015-06-22 9:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: News you can use

Originally posted by lutzman Exercise and sudden cardiac arrest http://www.wsj.com/articles/are-you-at-risk-for-a-heart-attack-afte...

Very interesting article.  I  try to always be aware of how I'm feeling and I don't mind taking rest days (like I did today) but I feel the rewards of exercising are greater than the risk.

2015-06-22 9:59 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Deb - I'll try to remember the idea of hovering when I'm riding and feeling some discomfort.  If I can make it work even for a few minutes at a time it would give some relief.

Your ride sounds like you persevered admirably.  I'm sure the draughting part of the ride was good fun.  You write a good report.

I also have a Garmin 510 and I've never been able to pair up my HRM either.  I even bought a new HRM with no change.  I could take it to my LBS and get help but I just haven't done it yet.  I may have to soon as I need to start paying attention to how hard I'm pushing myself.  I need to learn how to come off the bike with some strength to run.

2015-06-22 10:11 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Scott - I had a bike fitter tweak the saddle and it was fairly good for a while but this has been building up again over the last month or so.  I'm planning to go to my LBS tomorrow and getting a saddle or two to try but I will definitely look at the Cobb saddles as well.  I've been riding for 4 years this July and I've had saddle issues off and on the whole time.

I also did wonder if my recent weight loss had been enough to cause a change in my bike/saddle fit.

2015-06-23 6:07 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Heat and Heart Rate Question
I can't believe it is finally getting hot around here and I am using that term relatively.

Is it normal for heart rate to elevate faster in hot weather versus a cool day?

Thanks!
2015-06-23 9:34 AM

User image

Spencer, New York

<

I also have a Garmin 510 and I've never been able to pair up my HRM either.  I even bought a new HRM with no change.  I could take it to my LBS and get help but I just haven't done it yet.  I may have to soon as I need to start paying attention to how hard I'm pushing myself.  I need to learn how to come off the bike with some strength to run.

Pairing the HR monitor is on page 7 of the 510 Owners' Manual. It's not the same protocol as pairing other devices.

Re hovering: I do a drill as part of my warmup on the trainer. Pedal 1 minute at your hardest gearing, very low cadence. Effort no more than moderate, but put weight in your feet to reduce the weight in your butt to next to nothing. Even "hover" a little. Try not to increase the weight you put on your arms.
Then shift to an easier gear & pedal a minute in a more normal gear & cadence, trying to retain the feeling of weighting your feet, not seat. I do this a couple of times , along with some 1-legged drills, before each indoor ride.
The saddles that come with the bike are not usually the best. Many people recommend the Cobb. I tried it & found it uncomfortable. I use an Adamo Podium. Pricey, though.
Deb

Edited by ok2try 2015-06-23 10:57 AM
2015-06-23 12:02 PM

User image

I don't feel quite so much of an athlete after my bike ride today.  I had to cut the ride short by 38 minutes (4:52 rather than 5:30) and I was in considerable "sit bone" and left knee discomfort.  Before today I felt like I was on track for a full distance race in August but after my ride today I'm feeling like I would be unable to finish the bike ride.

George,

You've probably already done this, but have you considered bike shorts with a thicker, more comfortable, pad? I used De Soto 400-Mile shorts at the CDA camp and I was able to ride up to 6 hours with no discomfort. In my normal triathlon shorts I'm in significant pain after 3 hours on the bike (I need to learn that "hovering" trick - or get a better saddle). The 400-Mile shorts are theoretically triathlon shorts - they good for the swim and the shorts (including pad) dry quickly. I've run up to 10 miles in them with no discomfort, but the thick pad does feel pretty awkward at first. I also swam in them - but I haven't tried biking after swimming.

2015-06-23 1:25 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I also did wonder if my recent weight loss had been enough to cause a change in my bike/saddle fit.

Yes, that would change your bike fit.  That is the place to start, make sure your bike fit is correct, then, if the problem persists, consider a saddle change.

2015-06-23 1:26 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Heat and Heart Rate Question

Originally posted by JREDFLY

Is it normal for heart rate to elevate faster in hot weather versus a cool day? Thanks!

Hey James,

Haven't seen you for a while.  Yes, warmer temperatures can cause your HR to elevate more rapidly and to a higher number.

2015-06-23 5:56 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today about how to get triathlon workouts into a busy schedule. Not many revelations, but interesting to see an article on triathlon in the WSJ. The comments by readers are pretty entertaining.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/secrets-from-triathlon-training-how-to-...

Steve
2015-06-23 6:25 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Spencer, New York

George,
(I need to learn that "hovering" trick - or get a better saddle).

It's a neat trick, alright. What it also does is enlist the force of gravity--which is free--to help move your pedals and thereby propel you forward.
Deb
2015-06-24 1:43 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today about how to get triathlon workouts into a busy schedule . . . The comments by readers are pretty entertaining.

Steve

Yeah, I especially liked the comment about having to be OCD.  I never thought about it that way but I remember back to my first HM.  About mile 11 I remember thinking, "Well, this seemed like a good idea when I entered," and then I swore to myself I would NEVER do that again.  Yet, within a week, there I was, entering another one.

Yep - OCD!

Edited by k9car363 2015-06-24 1:44 PM

2015-06-24 7:56 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Heat and Heart Rate Question
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by JREDFLY

Is it normal for heart rate to elevate faster in hot weather versus a cool day? Thanks!

Hey James,

Haven't seen you for a while.  Yes, warmer temperatures can cause your HR to elevate more rapidly and to a higher number.

Scott - Been Lurking. Working too much. Gotta stop that.

You guys are just incredible, just not enough hours in my day.

My 16 year old daughter is talking about doing a sprint with me this summer so I better get my butt in gear. Water temps are finally in the upper 50s so no more excuses.

Hope you are doing well.
2015-06-24 9:42 PM

User image

Subject: IM CDA heat wave
A little over a month ago I was at the Ironman Coeur d'Alene camp. It was a great time, and there was a lot of pressure for me to sign up for IM CDA this Sunday. I resisted because I didn't think I was ready. Thank God! It is currently forecast to 107F in CDA this Sunday!

Our triathlon club has 16 athletes competing in the CDA Ironman this weekend. I hope they are all OK!
2015-06-24 10:08 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: IM CDA heat wave

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

A little over a month ago I was at the Ironman Coeur d'Alene camp. It was a great time, and there was a lot of pressure for me to sign up for IM CDA this Sunday. I resisted because I didn't think I was ready. Thank God! It is currently forecast to 107F in CDA this Sunday!

Our triathlon club has 16 athletes competing in the CDA Ironman this weekend. I hope they are all OK!

I heard on 'The Weather Channel' this morning that there is a marathon up in Portland, OR this Saturday with 104 degrees forecast.  My first thought was 104?  In Oregon?

Like you, I hope everyone in those races is smart about their efforts and stays safe.

2015-06-25 9:00 PM

User image

Regular

I heard on 'The Weather Channel' this morning that there is a marathon up in Portland, OR this Saturday with 104 degrees forecast.  My first thought was 104?  In Oregon?

Like you, I hope everyone in those races is smart about their efforts and stays safe.

Scott:

The really hot weather is coming this weekend. When I left work at 5:00, which is the hottest part of the day, it was 97. This weekend it's supposed to hit 110, which is really hot for up here. The Ironman CDA is this weekend and the predicted afternoon temp there is 108. Yikes.

I ran 4 miles at noon when it was only 85. Miserable. I pity anyone running a marathon at that termp or higher. Bad things can happen..

In 1984 I ran the New York marathon. In those days the event was the first weekend of November, so everyone expected cool temps. It started off warm and very foggy. Just before the noon start, the clouds parted, the temp shot up into the mid 80's with very high humidity. It cooked the expected winners who all dropped out. Nobody was acclimated. I can remember crossing the finish line (3:43--slowest marathon time I've ever had), looking around in Central Park and as far as I could see were WW2 surplus stretchers filled with people hooked up to IVs. It was bizarre. I'd never run a marathon race and the first thing that went through my head was "this is an absolutely stupid hobby." I was so scorched with that memory that I didn't run another marathon for 15 years until I decided I wanted to qualify for Boston.

With race fever it will be very hard for folks to drop out even if they are in serious trouble. Stay tuned.

Steve

2015-06-25 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Deb - Thanks for the HRM info.  I'll set that up for my next ride.

Scott - I have heard of the DeSoto 400mi shorts and I'll check into getting a pair.

Scott - My bike fitter isn't available for a while but I made some minor modifications to my bike and went for a 35km ride today.  It was less than satisfactory but I'm not sure if it was due to residual pain or if I need to adjust the saddle a bit more.  I could feel I was sitting more on my pubic rami rather than the sit bones so a little more tilt might just do it.  I'll try again on Sunday.  I made sure I can put everything back to the way it was if I need to.

James - Very nice to be able to race a sprint with your daughter.

Steve - Our thermometer at home today said 37degC ( about 97F as well) at 5:00 today so the heat is on.  I'm supposed to do a long ride on Sunday so I'm thinking I may head out at 5:00 am to get home before the heat builds.

My big experience with the heat was last year in our local GranFondo.  It is 160 km ride with 5450' of climbing and at an AID station at 105 km my bike computor said it was 111F (not an official temp but what it was out on the road) by the next AID station it was 112F and it was like a death march.  Riders were hiding under any shade they could find to cool down.  I passed a farmer who was hosing down anyone who asked for it and it felt great - but I was dry in minutes.  At the 2nd to last AID station I found an ice chest full of ice cold coke and I drank two.  The best coke I've had in years.  At the last AID station I found more coke and I had a volunteer hose me down with ice cold water twice.  I actually finished in pretty good shape.  The heat slowed me down but I coped fairly well thanks to the help and support we got from the volunteers.

Later the next day I chatted with the race owners and they said for all the heat they had no one with any medical problems.  

2015-06-26 10:48 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Heat wave weekend
It's a weekend and it's hot!

Hope you've got some solid plans. It's crazy hot here. It was 109 on my deck at 6 o'clock tonight. For me, that means an early start for my bike ride tomorrow. Hopefully a swim after that.

Enjoy the weekend. Stay cool!

Steve
2015-06-27 5:29 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Here is my compensation for all those January days I ran in sub-zero weather: nice running temps in the 60's & 70's. I don't envy you guys at all.
Deb
2015-06-27 8:04 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Heat wave weekend
109 at 6:00 - That is just crazy hot.

I think it is still winter here in Boston - still 50's & 60s hasn't been a decent beach day yet and the 4th is next week.

I know be careful what you wish for.

Ran this morning - volunteering at a tri later today giving out packets.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
2015-06-29 10:45 AM

User image

Scott:

The really hot weather is coming this weekend. When I left work at 5:00, which is the hottest part of the day, it was 97. This weekend it's supposed to hit 110, which is really hot for up here. The Ironman CDA is this weekend and the predicted afternoon temp there is 108. Yikes.

• With race fever it will be very hard for folks to drop out even if they are in serious trouble. Stay tuned.

Steve

Weather was pretty much as predicted. Here is a quote from my tri clubs Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/weraisethebar)

"The number of people who didn't finish is epic - definitely and not surprisingly harder hit in the older age groups. The total number of athletes in each age group could be off a little - impossible to tell unless someone had even half a swim split if they started or are just registered.

No one 70+ finished (out of 7)
    3 of 9 65-59 men who started finished, no women (only one started)
    23 of 40 60-64 men who started finished and we had 2! Gary Zasimovich & Eugene Partridge.
    44 of 69 55-59 men finished... Brad Williams, Dave Morell, Brian Gaffin were ours
    104 of 142 50-54 men... John Colvard, Josh Fishkin
    52 of 72 women 45-49 finished - Dagmar Fronek
    72 of 86 40-44 women finished - Jenn Edwards (5th!), Diane Haensel, Cristin Tillinghast. That's a tough group!
    Nick Johnson was 4th out of 113 in the 25-29 men.

We had four RTB athletes who didn't make it to the finish line - that's 25% of our crew and our hearts go out to you! We wish you sweet sweet revenge sometime in the your future!"

I spent a lot of time tracking my friends on the Ironman site. It was clear people were struggling. Later in the day the run splits were coming in at 18-22 min/mile - clearly walking and not a fast walk. I hope the four that DNF'ed are OK. I expect some interesting stories at our OWS practice this Wednesday!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open