BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-09-04 6:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Few things fire up a triathletes like a cheating scandal
I don't know if any of you have been following the cheating scandal regarding Julie Miller. She is a 40-44 age grouper who won her AG at Whistler to qualify for the World Championships in Kona.

Not long after, rumors and complaints started that she had cut the course. They allegations were made against her that she had allegedly cheated in other races as well. Turn loose the triathlon data geeks and the bon fire was rolling.

If you've got some free time this holiday weekend, you might get a kick out of reading this thread....there are 20 some pages of posts.

As post note: it was announced today that she was officially DQ'd at Whistler and her Kona ticket was revoked.

Crazy.

It got started about two weeks ago on this thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Fo...

That burned up and moved on to this thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Fo...

Have a great, long Labor Day weekend!

Edited by lutzman 2015-09-04 6:40 PM

2015-09-04 8:52 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: Back Among the Living
Scott, So sorry to hear this, I hope you are feeling better and taking time to heal yourself! It's hard to accept this growing old stuff, but it happens to all of us.
Scott, I hope your daughter is recovering, as a father of 2 boys and twin daughters my greatest fear is them getting sick!

Summer is definitely winding down, the Maine nights are cooling down, although Monday is supposed to be 90, which is hot for us. Labor day is our clubs annual Lobster bake. It's a great day on the beach cooking up about 50 lobsters! That morning will be my only pseudo race this year, we do a self supported sprint using a route that was the first Tri I ever did, The Fireman's Tri, Should be interesting since I have been so busy this summer that i have hardly touched my bike and only been able to swim twice!
Then it is time to pack the bags and head for the sand and sun for a few months, fall is probably the best time to be in the north east and I am going to miss it !
I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Dan
2015-09-04 8:57 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: Few things fire up a triathletes like a cheating scandal
Steve,

I hadn't heard of this, but unfortunately in today's society it doesn't surprise me, I can't imagine disgracing myself by cheating on something so insignificant as a Triathlon? I guess she should have used that drive to win in her training?
2015-09-05 11:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Scott - I hope your daughter is feeling better and well on her way to recovery.

Scott - I hope you're feeling better and getting some of your energy back.  Keep us informed on how you're healing.

Your explanation of tapering/peaking was excellent.  Far more clarity than anything else I can recall reading on the subject.  

Just out of curiosity what is typical winter weather for you?  

Thanks for your generous comment on my race report.

2015-09-06 12:12 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Just out of curiosity what is typical winter weather for you?  

George,

I am reluctant to answer the question for fear I will be ostracized from the group so let me preface my answer with we are moving back to Indiana next year making this our last winter where seasons don't really exist.

Here in Southern California, our typical winter is predominate sunshine.  Highs in to the upper 70's with the occasional warm day into the 80's.  Of course we also get "cold" and will have a few days down into the upper 50's.  Unlike other areas of the country, if weather forces a move indoors to the trainer or dreadmill, heat is the likely cause.  The most challenging days are the ones where I am forced to go down to the cliffs at Oceanside and run on the beach or ride on the strand (bike path along the beach predominately used by triathletes for training rides) - It's very hard to concentrate in the bright sunshine with those waves breaking 50 yards away!

In all seriousness though, I actually miss running in snow and cold temps and am looking forward to again being able to enjoy trees changing colors and the change of seasons.

The weather prognosticators have said the strongest El Nino in recorded history has formed in the Eastern Pacific Ocean and are predicting massive rainfall this winter.  The state desperately needs the rain but not the torrential downpours that typically accompany an El Nino year so this upcoming winter may be anything but typical.

2015-09-06 12:20 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Mountaindan

Summer is definitely winding down, the Maine nights are cooling down, although Monday is supposed to be 90, which is hot for us. Labor day is our clubs annual Lobster bake. It's a great day on the beach cooking up about 50 lobsters!

Dan

Dan,

So how do I become a member of your club?

That sounds like an incredible day!  Out here, even finding Maine lobster is a challenge, and your cooking up 50 of them - jealous!

2015-09-06 11:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Upper 70s and running on the beach sounds pretty nice.  I run outside most of our winter and our two lakes only partially freeze-up.  We actually get very little snow here and I never get to run when it is snowing which I would love to do.

It will be interesting to see how the El Nino affects the weather.  Hopefully there won't be any extreme rainfall.

2015-09-07 3:13 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

I don't know if any of you have been following the cheating scandal regarding Julie Miller. She is a 40-44 age grouper who won her AG at Whistler to qualify for the World Championships in Kona.

Not long after, rumors and complaints started that she had cut the course. They allegations were made against her that she had allegedly cheated in other races as well. Turn loose the triathlon data geeks and the bon fire was rolling.

If you've got some free time this holiday weekend, you might get a kick out of reading this thread....there are 20 some pages of posts. As post note: it was announced today that she was officially DQ'd at Whistler and her Kona ticket was revoked. Crazy.

Let me make sure I have this right.  An age group athlete is caught cutting the course where the "prize" for the win would have been . . . bragging rights?  Oh that's right, a Kona spot, where she would have had . . . bragging rights?

There is no understanding people.  At least when Lance was creatively competing there was millions of dollars on the line - didn't make it right, but at least you could almost understand.  Finding yourself in the middle of a cheating scandal when the only thing you stand to gain is nothing is beyond comprehension.

2015-09-07 6:59 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by lutzman

If you've got some free time this holiday weekend, you might get a kick out of reading this thread....there are 20 some pages of posts. As post note: it was announced today that she was officially DQ'd at Whistler and her Kona ticket was revoked. Crazy.

Let me make sure I have this right.  An age group athlete is caught cutting the course where the "prize" for the win would have been . . . bragging rights?  Oh that's right, a Kona spot, where she would have had . . . bragging rights?

There is no understanding people.  At least when Lance was creatively competing there was millions of dollars on the line - didn't make it right, but at least you could almost understand.  Finding yourself in the middle of a cheating scandal when the only thing you stand to gain is nothing is beyond comprehension.

Scott:

No kidding. I think psychologists need to study these people. Maybe they can come up with a syndrome to describe why these people are taking PED's and/or cheating with nothing on the line except a 75 cent medal.

Steve
2015-09-08 6:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
We always have room for more members Sc.ott

(11088750_10207838470785207_7274962482289943329_o.jpg)

(12003204_10207838453904785_6409525105197986038_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
11088750_10207838470785207_7274962482289943329_o.jpg (443KB - 24 downloads)
12003204_10207838453904785_6409525105197986038_n.jpg (89KB - 28 downloads)
2015-09-08 8:15 PM

User image

Regular

These photos need a "Like" button!

2015-09-08 9:29 PM

User image

Hmmm, does this invitation extend to both Scotts?
2015-09-11 3:20 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Sure Scott, come on over next year
2015-09-14 1:30 PM

User image

Subject: My First Half went well
I finished in a little over 6 1/2 hours, which is about what I expected. I had a great time, although I'm REALLY SORE today!

My Splits:
Swim: 42:50
T1: 4:31
Bike: 3:13:56
T2: 4:41
Run: 2:25:53

Race report is here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

My goal was to finish, have fun, and not injure myself. I accomplished those goals and am happy with the results! Next time I can focus on improving my speed.

That's my last triathlon this year. Thank you all for your assistance in my second year of triathlon. Special thanks to Scott and Steve for all your great advice! I'm going to take another 4 or 5 days off and then start my out-season training. I think I might try a full Ironman next year.

Edited by EchoLkScott 2015-09-14 4:59 PM
2015-09-14 9:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: My First Half went well

Scott - I left a post in your race report.  Just a quick congrats.  Out of interest where was the swim?  How flat was the bike course?  Well done on your Half.  It sounds like it was a good day.  Any thoughts on where you might do your "full distance" race?  

Next year our local Challenge race will be the World Long-Course Championship distance of 3K Swim/ 120K bike/ 30K run.  The race is a qualifier for the 2017 World Championship races here in Penticton.  I'm thinking I could finish in about 10 hours (not thinking I can win - just thinking fun).

I've been slacking off since my last race.  I've run a couple times and today I ventured back into the lake for a swim today with a couple friends.  It was so cold only one of us finished the usual 2K swim (a 70 yr old Brit used to swimming in the English channel).  I got roughly half way and my feet, hands and ears were cold so I turned and headed back.  Felt like a wimp but when I started shivering as I changed I figured cutting it short was not so bad.  Coffee afterwards was very welcome.

So that's it for our summer.  Leaves are turning colour and the nights are getting longer and the lake is cold!

I am aiming to run a 20K race on November 1st.  Just a fun run up an old rail line then back down.

Just for anyone's interest - On the Challenge Penticton website there is a 3 minute video of this year's race.  It is a nice visual of our area if you'd care to see it.  In some respects it is very similar to Chelan.  

Edited by wenceslasz 2015-09-14 9:53 PM
2015-09-15 12:10 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Scott - I left a post in your race report.  Just a quick congrats.  Out of interest where was the swim?  How flat was the bike course?  Well done on your Half.  It sounds like it was a good day.   

Thanks George!

The swim was in Deep Lake (in Nolte State Park). It isn't a large lake, so it was two loops of a diamond-shaped course that basically goes the length of the lake. The water is nice, but a little chilly most years. This year was just about perfect temperature for a wetsuit.

The bike had a few short hills, some false flats, and a few rollers. No significant climbs, but they added up to about 1700 ft cumulative gain. As Washington state courses go it was pretty flat. Over most of the course the shoulders are wide and smooth, and there isn't a lot of automobile traffic.

Any thoughts on where you might do your "full distance" race?

I was thinking either Whistler or Coeur d'Alene. Our triathlon team sends a large contingent to both, and it would be fun to be there with friends.

Next year our local Challenge race will be the World Long-Course Championship distance of 3K Swim/ 120K bike/ 30K run. The race is a qualifier for the 2017 World Championship races here in Penticton. I'm thinking I could finish in about 10 hours (not thinking I can win - just thinking fun).

I heard about that. It sounds like fun. I may try to do that instead of the other two. In any case, I think it would be fun to come up for the 2017 World Championships!

I've been slacking off since my last race. I've run a couple times and today I ventured back into the lake for a swim today with a couple friends. It was so cold only one of us finished the usual 2K swim (a 70 yr old Brit used to swimming in the English channel). I got roughly half way and my feet, hands and ears were cold so I turned and headed back. Felt like a wimp but when I started shivering as I changed I figured cutting it short was not so bad. Coffee afterwards was very welcome.

So that's it for our summer. Leaves are turning colour and the nights are getting longer and the lake is cold!

I haven't experienced swimming in truly cold water yet. I'm not sure how I would handle that.

Summer is certainly coming to an end. It was a hot one. Fall will be a relief for the poor firefighters working the forest fires in Central Washington. Did any of those fires sneak over the border into your area?

I am aiming to run a 20K race on November 1st. Just a fun run up an old rail line then back down.

Just for anyone's interest - On the Challenge Penticton website there is a 3 minute video of this year's race. It is a nice visual of our area if you'd care to see it. In some respects it is very similar to Chelan.

Have fun! I'm planning to do some trail runs/races this fall. Northwest Trail Runs (http://nwtrailruns.com/) has a winter trail race series that looks like fun.

2015-09-18 4:51 PM

User image

Subject: Anyone racing this weekend?
My recovery period is coming to an end. I did a moderate effort swim today, and will probably do a short stint on the bike trainer tonight. No racing this weekend, but I'm thinking about doing a 5K trail-run event next weekend.

Any races or big training activities planned this weekend?
2015-09-19 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

I finished in a little over 6 1/2 hours, which is about what I expected. I had a great time, although I'm REALLY SORE today!

My Splits:
Swim: 42:50
T1: 4:31
Bike: 3:13:56
T2: 4:41
Run: 2:25:53

Race report is here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

My goal was to finish, have fun, and not injure myself. I accomplished those goals and am happy with the results! Next time I can focus on improving my speed.

That's my last triathlon this year. Thank you all for your assistance in my second year of triathlon. Special thanks to Scott and Steve for all your great advice! I'm going to take another 4 or 5 days off and then start my out-season training. I think I might try a full Ironman next year.

Sorry I'm a bit late, Scott. Nonetheless, congrats on a fine achievement. Sounds like you had a solid race and also learned some good stuff to carry you into next year.

Steve
2015-09-19 3:09 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Anyone racing this weekend?

My recovery period is coming to an end. I did a moderate effort swim today, and will probably do a short stint on the bike trainer tonight. No racing this weekend, but I'm thinking about doing a 5K trail-run event next weekend.

I was hoping to do the Kirkland Sprint on Sunday, but no dice. It's my son's birthday, so I'll be sticking close to home to host a family dinner. And since my physical condition is mediocre, it's not like I'm missing much. On the good side, I got in a nice 6 mile run this morning on a beautiful fall morning.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Steve
2015-09-19 11:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Scott - I'm not up to any racing this weekend.  My new struggle is to not gain weight now that I've stopped training.  I will get going again but I am finding too many easy excuses to allow me to procrastinate.

I was wondering whether your race swim was in a lake or a salt water swim.  Your race sounds very similar to our local Oliver Half that I'm considering for next year.

Between Whistler and Coeur d'Alene I don't know much about either but I recently read a thread on which race was preferable Whistler or Lake Placid.  I think it was in the Iron Distance Training Talk.  You might find the Whistler comments interesting to compare with what you know about CDA.  

As for the Penticton race.  It is quite different race distances but they are predicting a pretty large turnout.  Sort of a 3/4 distance race.  It should be fun.  But then I wonder if I should be aiming for a full distance race myself.  

You asked about the forest fires in our area.  We had some pretty bad fires just south of us and the big fire in Washington (I think they called it "Stickpin") came very close to the border and at one point about 50 Cdn firefighters joined the US fire fighters on that one.  For the week before Challenge we were smoked in so heavily that helicopters were grounded due to visibility below 1/2 km and they were warning athletes not to train outdoors.  We also got a lot of smoke from the Chelan  fire.

A couple of my friends are trying to cling to swimming in the lake as long as possible so they are holding out hope of a last swim on Monday.  The water is pretty cool about 15C/59F.  I suppose if they go in I'll suit up and swim a bit myself but I won't swim 2K I'll likely just swim half way.  One of the fellows only has a sleeveless wetsuit and he finds his arms get too cold so we probably shouldn't be swimming.  We'll see.  I don't feel strongly motivated. I know some people swim in cold water but I don't feel I need to.

I'm hoping to get running again tomorrow.

Edited by wenceslasz 2015-09-19 11:24 PM
2015-09-20 4:25 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Scott,

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner.  I had the absolute week from Hades last week.  Congrats on your first half!  Sounds like it was a great learning experience all the way around.  It has been a pleasure watching you progress this past season!

2015-09-20 4:29 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

No races for me however I finally got out and ran a couple miles.  Boy THAT was an eye opener.  Note to self - don't be taking months off!  Just glad to finally be medically cleared to return to a full training schedule!

2015-09-22 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

No races for me however I finally got out and ran a couple miles.  Boy THAT was an eye opener.  Note to self - don't be taking months off!  Just glad to finally be medically cleared to return to a full training schedule!

Scott:

Glad to hear you're back at it. I think we're in about the same place. Running really makes a person pay a penalty for lack of fitness and/or extra weight. There are no wheels or water to help offset the load.

I ran five miles with a buddy last night. Average pace was 8:40 (slow for me but as fast as I could maintain) and my average heart rate was 157. By comparison, last year I was running a 10 miler every Saturday with him at an "easy" pace of 8:15 maintaining HR of 144. Yeesh. Could I really have gotten old this fast?! That's what zero fitness and 20 pounds of extra carry weight will do!

This too shall pass. At least it better! Next tentative race on my radar is the end of March, so I've got six months to pull myself up out of the ditch!

Steve
2015-09-24 9:46 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
I haven't really died or gotten lost in the forest, just been very busy with this and that.
First I want to thank George belatedly for his wonderful race report. Your writing really gave it a sense of immediacy, of being there with you, and also conveyed a sense of how long that HIM distance really is! Big congrats on going the distance and running the run. I even looked at the video--it certainly looks beautiful out that way, and the hills look challenging indeed.
And kudos to Scott I as well for your race. You have put in the work for a long time to deserve that success.
You are both inspirations to me, as well as Steve and the other Scott for working just as persistently to get past your various medical issues and get back into training.
Well done all around!
For myself, my fall is about learning to swim all over again, making a serious committment to strength training, and building base in running & cycling. I have quite a few races in the hopper for next year, culminaring in a HIM in September. That's a lot of work to do, already started.
I had to miss my first cross-country race due to a whiney hamstring, but I'll be running the second one of the (5-race) series this weekend. I really love cross-country: the intensity of it, the team spirit, the terrain, the brisk fall days. Can't wait.
Deb

2015-09-30 11:40 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All,  We just finally said goodbye to the last of our summer visitors.  I'm looking forward to getting active again although, so far, I've managed to keep my weight off and I have kept somewhat active.

Scott - I hope you're healing well and not pushing yourself too hard.  

Steve - I wouldn't mind running as fast as your "slow" 8:45/mile.  Yesterday I ran 10K at 11:30/mile and that is really good for me.  

Deb - Thanks for your great feedback on the race report.  I was just having fun.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open