BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-03-02 4:50 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - Week March 1
No weight change +5
workout 138 mins +4.6
total 9.6

2015-03-02 6:21 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Half Mary Results
Originally posted by slornow

For us old guys it is all about getting out there and doing our best on race day....there will be a day when we will be unable to. No time soon.

Randy, I think I'm still working on getting my head around that. Until 2 years ago, I still felt like I had a shot at PRs with the right conditions primarily b/c I didn't start running until my mid-40s. I haven't totally given up on the PR thing, but my results the last couple of years are evidence to the contrary. For me anyway, the training and mindset required to PR is different than the training and mindset to do our best on race day (or to just appreciate being "able to"). I've always been someone who finds motivation racing against myself rather than others, now I have to find a new definition of "myself" or a new motivational technique. And ultimately, I may be okay with training to be healthy and have fun... I seem to be one way or the other... highly competitive or relaxed about it. Just haven't been able to find that highly competitive gear recently.

Ah well... off to bike outside while I can!
Stu
2015-03-02 7:50 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Damn - I Think I'm Done for the Season

On Saturday I was supposed to compete in a Sprint Triathlon.  While I was in the water warming-up I began to do some short sprints.  I was out away from people but there was a somewhat slow gentleman that was very casually swimming around and somehow he got in front of me.  Instead of slowing down, which would have been the intelligent thing to do, I pulled hard to the side to radically change direction and go around the guy.  I heard the 'pop; at about the same time I felt the pain start.  I realized pretty quickly that my day was done.  I got to shore - which was probably entertaining for anyone that was watching seeing as how I only had one arm, collected my wife and then we had to figure out how to get me out of my wetsuit.  By that time, there simply wasn't going to be any moving of my arm.  There were medics at the event that would have been only to happy to cut my wetsuit off, which I wasn't to excited about.  It took about 30 minutes but we finally got it off without damage!  Then we got my bike, packed up and headed for urgent care.

They did an X-ray on Saturday and determined I have a torn rotator cuff.  He immobilized the shoulder, loaded my down with meds and referred me to my GP.  I got in to see my doc this morning and first thing, he ordered a MRI which revealed a 3cm tear in the subscapularus tendon of my left shoulder - pretty much the tendon is all but separated from the head of the humerus (the upper arm bone) - when I go down, I go down in flames!  My GP is pretty sure it will require surgery and I have an appointment set for Thursday with the Orthopedic surgeon.

If they can do it arthroscopically it will likely be 4-6 months before I can expect to be back to full range of motion.  If they have to do open surgery it will likely be closer to 6-9 months.  Either way, it looks like my 2015 season just ended.

Of more immediate concern is that I do not want to lose the fitness I have been busting my backside to build!

Steve, you went through your crash and recovery last year.  I recall that your shoulder was involved but I also remember you had broken ribs which would have made exercise difficult.   I am wondering if your ribs hadn't been involved if you felt like you could have gotten on the trainer and/or ran with your shoulder in a sling?  I went to the gym this afternoon and walked a brisk couple of miles on the dreadmill without any difficulty so just wondering.

Anyway, this kind of sucks.  An injury was not in my plan this season.  I double checked, there is no injury anywhere in the plan.  Life just dropped a load of lemons in my lap, guess it's time to start making some lemonade.

2015-03-02 7:58 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: My first HIM distance triathlon

Originally posted by EchoLkScott This morning I registered for the Black Diamond long course triathlon (half iron distance). It isn't until mid-September, but now I'm committed.

Nothing like a race entry to motivate your training!  Now is the time to put together your plan.  With the training volume you are putting in, you will do great!

2015-03-02 8:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge -

Originally posted by matrixband12 I rode 2.5 hours today.....My sit bones are sore.....anyone use a bike seat padding?

Suggestions??

I ve got a split seat this year to combat numbess of the bits

Bike shorts as an option??

Thanks

Hey Thomas,

On a road bide, padding on the saddle can, and often will, make the pain and discomfort worse.  I know, that's counter-intuitive, but sadly it is true.  When you have too much padding, it squishes down and deforms which applies pressure where you really don't want pressure.  If you haven't been doing longer rides and then suddenly you went out for 2.5 hours, you are going to have a bit of discomfort.  That will generally subside as you put more miles in and have more time in the saddle.  However, if you have serious pain, or the discomfort doesn't go away, then the first thing I would look at is your bike fit.  If you are not fit properly, you can be miserable.

You mentioned that you have a split seat.  Saddles are very much a personal thing.  A saddle that is great for me may be painful for you.  Before I go changing saddles again, I would get your bike fit checked.  Once you know that is good, then you perhaps try different saddles.  Cobb saddles has an excellent return policy and they encourage you to try a saddle for a couple weeks then return it if it doesn't work for you.  They have a pretty extensive line so you may well find the perfect saddle that way.  Again though, before you start playing with saddles, I would make sure the fit is correct.

Yes, a good pair of bike shorts will help immensely.  I actually prefer my tri-shorts over bike shorts.   They both have padding, just the tri-shorts have a bit less and it drys quickly so you can swim in them.  You can pick-up an inexpensive pair of bike shorts for $50-75 or so.  Tri-shorts tend to be a few dollars more.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add this link:  http://cycleryusa.com/buyers-guides/selecting-the-right-bicycle-saddle-pg278.htm.  This is a page that talks about saddles and finding the right one.  About 2/3 of the way down there is a paragraph on padding that you may find interesting.

Edited by k9car363 2015-03-02 8:33 PM
2015-03-02 8:18 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: Damn - I Think I'm Done for the Season
Damn Scott that is horrible news! Good luck, I know how gut wrenching to find out your season is over after all the hard work. I've had shoulder problems myself and probably should have had surgery, but was too stubborn, and probably stupid! I hope they can scope it and make it at least a little easier recovery, not that it will be easy.

Take care

Dan

2015-03-02 9:48 PM

Ohhh Dang!!!!

Glad you told the story...... Good for us newbie to heed the advice of caution

Sorry for you!!!!

Tom
2015-03-02 9:56 PM

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge -
Scott

Thanks for your continued time here....Given the injury!!

I've been on a few 2 hour ride on the bike inside on the trainer

Pain was not to bad...No pain today

I recently switched from padded bike short to a regular pair of running shorts....

I had a professional bike fitting before I started training... so for now the fit is good given my current fitness level....I have a Specialized Allez

Im looking to avoid injuries at this point, or large training errors

Thanks for the input!!

Good luck with recovery!!!

Keep in touch....I hope we can keep your spirits buoyed!!

Tom

2015-03-02 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

HoRy ShiP Scott!!  Not the ideal way to start a sprint, eh!  But you've got a good attitude.  Hopefully you can keep active at something.  What about water running in the pool?  If not now maybe later.

It is fortunate that you didn't completely sever the tendon.  That would've been an immediate surgery for certain.  When I was reading your description of the event I got curious about how old you are so I went into your profile and saw your race report so I went to it and of course read it.  What a story (and photos)!  Very inspirational.

Steve - ChelanMan - I finally made reservations at a Motel (Midtowner).  I couldn't get a campsite anywhere.  Not even as far away as Bridgeport.  So, I can relax on that and just look forward to the race.  We'll be arriving Thursday and leaving Monday.

Weight Loss challenge:

11.18 hours of workouts = 22.36 points

No weight gain (or loss)  =  5 points

Total                                    27.36 points

2015-03-02 11:12 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

Steve, you went through your crash and recovery last year.  I recall that your shoulder was involved but I also remember you had broken ribs which would have made exercise difficult.   I am wondering if your ribs hadn't been involved if you felt like you could have gotten on the trainer and/or ran with your shoulder in a sling?  I went to the gym this afternoon and walked a brisk couple of miles on the dreadmill without any difficulty so just wondering.

Anyway, this kind of sucks.  An injury was not in my plan this season.  I double checked, there is no injury anywhere in the plan.  Life just dropped a load of lemons in my lap, guess it's time to start making some lemonade.

Hey Scott:

Really sorry to hear this news. Injuries are a real test and it sounds like you're about to be tested.

Unfortunately, you just have to get through it while fighting to hang on to as much fitness as you can. The shoulder repair will be tough. My guess is the immobilization will cause "shoulder freeze", so you'll have a lot of PT work to regain flexibility after you can start using your arm again in training. I can empathize with how you feel. My crash last year completely killed my race plans for both Age Group Nationals and competing at Worlds. It really crushed my soul and I was as low as I've been in a very long time.

But here are two areas of good news:

1) Your fitness sticks, especially in the areas where you have a strong base. Since you're a strong swimmer, you'll come back much quicker than the rest of us might even though you won't be swimming. It will be a challenge to start, but after a month or so (once you can actually train again) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how quickly your body adapts and you're back swimming strong. Ditto running and biking.

2) With a shoulder injury you can still do a lot to maintain cardiovascular fitness. A stairmaster or stride machine can be used quite easily without effecting a shoulder injury. Once the doc approves, you should be able to get back on the bike trainer and ride without really impacting your shoulder. You won't be able to get into the aero position, but you should be able to get in a pretty aggressive workout. Your doctor will let you know, but you can probably pedal your heart out without impacting your shoulder as soon as you have the green light.. My combo of busted ribs, collar bone and shoulder really messed me up for training, even on my bike. But, I was able to gradually work my way back and I was able to bike sooner than either running or swimming.

It's a bummer and I feel you're pain. But as the saying goes, it's not about getting knocked down, it's about getting back up. The next couple of post surgery weeks will be really tough. Get through it, stay focused and you'll be ready to ease back in as soon as your doc give you the green light.

Best of luck.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2015-03-02 11:16 PM
2015-03-02 11:20 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by wenceslasz

">Steve - ChelanMan - I finally made reservations at a Motel (Midtowner).  I couldn't get a campsite anywhere.  Not even as far away as Bridgeport.  So, I can relax on that and just look forward to the race.  We'll be arriving Thursday and leaving Monday.

Cool. I think you'll have a great time.

Get your hill training in. There are a couple of killer hills on the 70.3 course.

See you in Chelan!

Steve

2015-03-03 4:48 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Damn is right, Scott. Actually, probably far more choice words than that.
2015-03-03 5:47 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by k9car363

On Saturday I was supposed to compete in a Sprint Triathlon.  While I was in the water warming-up I began to do some short sprints.  I was out away from people but there was a somewhat slow gentleman that was very casually swimming around and somehow he got in front of me.  Instead of slowing down, which would have been the intelligent thing to do, I pulled hard to the side to radically change direction and go around the guy.  I heard the 'pop; at about the same time I felt the pain start.  I realized pretty quickly that my day was done.  I got to shore - which was probably entertaining for anyone that was watching seeing as how I only had one arm, collected my wife and then we had to figure out how to get me out of my wetsuit.  By that time, there simply wasn't going to be any moving of my arm.  There were medics at the event that would have been only to happy to cut my wetsuit off, which I wasn't to excited about.  It took about 30 minutes but we finally got it off without damage!  Then we got my bike, packed up and headed for urgent care.

They did an X-ray on Saturday and determined I have a torn rotator cuff.  He immobilized the shoulder, loaded my down with meds and referred me to my GP.  I got in to see my doc this morning and first thing, he ordered a MRI which revealed a 3cm tear in the subscapularus tendon of my left shoulder - pretty much the tendon is all but separated from the head of the humerus (the upper arm bone) - when I go down, I go down in flames!  My GP is pretty sure it will require surgery and I have an appointment set for Thursday with the Orthopedic surgeon.

If they can do it arthroscopically it will likely be 4-6 months before I can expect to be back to full range of motion.  If they have to do open surgery it will likely be closer to 6-9 months.  Either way, it looks like my 2015 season just ended.

Of more immediate concern is that I do not want to lose the fitness I have been busting my backside to build!

Scott-ouch! Hate that this happened. Hope you can get it fixed and then get back at it.

2015-03-03 6:05 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Scott, I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. You'll make it back, I know.
Deb
2015-03-03 8:54 AM

User image

Scott...

I am so sorry to hear about your shoulder/injury.

It will be a hard  - but I am guessing with your determination and fortitude you will come back even stronger.

Sometimes those lemons arrive for reasons we don't understand for a spell...  

Thinking of you - because I have lived with someone injured and it is rough on everyone. 

I am betting your lemonade will be one for the books though.

Edited by mtsnorider 2015-03-03 9:13 AM
2015-03-03 9:12 AM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Subject: RE: Workout/Nutrition - I survived

I did another three days in a row of training this past weekend.  The gal I am exercising with is training for IM St. George (70.3) and ultimately IM CDA.

Friday we did 1:15 on the bike and 30 minute run/walk.  I have to say I really like the run/walk having never really done that on the road before. 

Saturday was a swim I did 1700 total to include 12x25 sprints.  I concentrated on form except for sprints.  We have fun doing the sprints together, I die but it is fun (this week's were faster than last and more consistent).  Finished the day with 1:30 on the bike.

Sunday I did my first ever 3 hour bike training and didn't die.

We used the Sufferfest videos.  If you have not used those I HIGHLY recommend.  They make the time go by so much faster and I think I personally get a better workout than Spinervals.   On Sunday, our first video was all about form and I have to say I learned so much.  Who would have thought biking was technical...I thought you got on and rode! 

On the nutrition portion of the workouts I did pretty well.  On Sunday I used Hammer's Perpetuem and Fizz tabs.  I never had the crash headache after any of the workouts which is unusual for the duration and intensity of them.  Drank a bottle with Fizz every hour or so.  What I have noticed is I am up in weight by a 2-3 pounds. I thought by today I would go back to normal but not so much....

With my ankle I haven't been running but I am starting to think running is my most effective form of weight loss.  I thought swimming and biking would be right up there but after this weekend I am starting to rethink that logic.

How are you guys handling the nutrition/weight, etc.

2015-03-03 9:24 AM

User image

Subject: RE:Bike/Shorts/Saddles

Originally posted by matrixband12 Scott Thanks for your continued time here....Given the injury!! I've been on a few 2 hour ride on the bike inside on the trainer Pain was not to bad...No pain today I recently switched from padded bike short to a regular pair of running shorts.... I had a professional bike fitting before I started training... so for now the fit is good given my current fitness level....I have a Specialized Allez Im looking to avoid injuries at this point, or large training errors Thanks for the input!! Good luck with recovery!!! Keep in touch....I hope we can keep your spirits buoyed!! Tom

I am only responding to this because my husband has done a couple IMs. 

He had a hard time with his saddle - he went through 2 or 3 until he found the right one..

Before this last IM, he/we also spent the time and money to have a professional bike fit by a Retul certified professional. If you anywhere near Tucson  Endurance Performance, Brian Grasky.   It was amazing to watch them do a computerized bike fit and worth every penny when he was on the bike this last year in hellish winds during IMCDA.

He also used BUTTer cream and tri shorts.   Good quality Tri shorts.

Edited by mtsnorider 2015-03-03 9:25 AM
2015-03-03 7:25 PM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weight Loss/Workout Challenge Points - 03/01/15

Here are the current points.

Lot's of impressive workout totals!

(0301_weightloss_workout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0301_weightloss_workout.jpg (66KB - 3 downloads)
2015-03-04 12:29 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Weight Loss/Workout Challenge Points - 03/01/15
Scott,

Ouch! Sorry to get the injury news. That stinks. Best wishes for a prompt recovery.

Dave
2015-03-04 2:43 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Expert
Missouri

Scott - so sorry to hear about your shoulder injury.  Hope the surgery goes well and you recover quickly!  I had arthroscopic surgery on mine about 2-1/2 years ago (not a tear, just clearing out scar tissue) and was told not to run for about 6 weeks.  I wasn't biking much at the time so that wasn't an issue, but not being able to run was tough.  I did a lot of walking though.  

My trail race over the weekend did not go as well as I had hoped .  It was freezing cold, overcast (snowstorm later in the day), the trail was icy and I've spent too much time avoiding hills during my run training lately.  The good news is I beat my time from 2 years ago by almost 18 minutes  (that year was cold but sunny with about 2" of fresh snow on the ground).  I think part of my problem too is not eating/drinking enough when it's cold.  I had a little bit of gatorade and some water but nothing else - not really enough for a 2 hour plus run.  I had a couple of gu's with me but never took them.  I don't usually think about it until it's already too late.  It's something I need to work out if I ever hope to be able to do a HIM.

Janet

2015-03-04 9:04 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Scott-
So sorry to hear of your shoulder injury. That's a very long time to recover! I hope it goes fast for you.

2015-03-05 8:57 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Thank you everyone for the good wishes.  It is truly appreciated.

I had an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon today.  Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday morning.  He is planning to go in arthroscopically.  He said he expects I will begin passive movement (physical therapy) three to four weeks post op.  That will gradually transition into range of motion and strengthening exercises.  He said if I put in the work that I should be back in the pool by 12-16 weeks post op.  He is OK with the trainer 1 week post surgery for easy rides and harder rides 2 weeks post op.  He said my shoulder will be immobilized so running will likely have to wait until at least 4 weeks after surgery when he anticipates the immobilization will go away.  He said I can walk as much as I want as soon as I want so I am hoping to maintain at least some of my fitness.

All in all I am pretty happy.  I expected to be laid up longer than it looks like it will be.  I really am only going to have a few days with no exercise and only a couple weeks before I can get back to some aggressive trainer rides.  Maybe the entire season isn't done after all.  I have a half-marathon scheduled in April and a marathon at the end of May.  I suspect both of those are coming off the schedule.  Beyond that, I have several sprint and Olympic tri's scheduled in July, August and September.  I also have the Ironman scheduled in October.  I have to do some thinking about all those events.  I suppose I won't really be able to make a decision until I get a better idea of when I can get back to training and seeing what is left when I do start.

For the immediate future, I have to figure out something to do to fill the hours I would have otherwise been training.  I am pretty close to going nuts and its only been a few days.

2015-03-05 8:58 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Sorry to see this Scott, Follow Steve's spot-on advice and listen to the doctor. I have a feeling you will keep all this great fitness you have built, just be smart about it.

Hang in there!

James
2015-03-05 9:21 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

It really crushed my soul and I was as low as I've been in a very long time.

I know what you mean.  I have been putting in a lot of work so that I could make a serious Kona attempt in October.  My target was sub 10-hour.  My swim was right where it needed to be.  My cycling was right where it needed to be and my run was right on the edge of being where I needed it.  I won't say I was making reservations for Hawaii just yet but I was feeling extremely confident.  Now, that is likely out the window this year.  The thing I keep using to lift my spirits is that Ironman Louisville qualifies for Kona-2016 so I could still theoretically make an attempt early next year.  This didn't completely kill my plans but it sure put a hitch in my giddy-up.

Originally posted by lutzman

Once the doc approves, you should be able to get back on the bike trainer and ride without really impacting your shoulder. You won't be able to get into the aero position, but you should be able to get in a pretty aggressive workout. Your doctor will let you know, but you can probably pedal your heart out without impacting your shoulder as soon as you have the green light..

We talked at length about this today.  The doc's biggest concern is that he doesn't want me busting out sutures or staples or whatever else he might be using so he said no trainer for at least a week and nothing hard for two weeks.  I am fairly confident that I can maintain my cycling fitness.  My swim will go away a bit but I am not overly concerned about that as it will come back fairly quickly.  My biggest concern is my run.  I talked to my running coach about maybe trying to easy run with my arm in the sling and he said absolutely not.  He doesn't want me developing bad habits after we have spent a year getting everything right.

It's gonna be what it's gonna be so I will continue to make lemonade and try to have some level of patience!

2015-03-06 8:26 AM

User image

Scott, if you haven't joined Netflix, I'd encourage you to do so, to fill some time with good series. Some that id recommend are "the killing", "house of cards" and "Orange is the new black". Lots of movies and tv series and comedy specials too.
Good news that your recovery won't be as limited as you thought earlier. Best of luck to you on surgery day.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open