BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-05-15 4:39 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Went for a run today! Since my marathon I've been in this wormhole of house remodeling. I wasn't even planning it, but my helpers were available and I was so anxious to get it done. Over the past 2 years I've basically redone my whole first floor with lots of help from parents and friends- including tearing out a chimney, taking a couple of walls down to the studs, switching my kitchen and dining room, all new flooring.,, now there's still some trim to put up but my whole house is livable again!
Hoping to go on the first bike ride of the season tomorrow.
Also I got a sampler case from Otter Creek that my helpers and I have drank over the past few weeks. 4 different beers and I loved them all! I'm not sure if it's because I haven't been drinking or if they're really good beers....

2015-05-15 5:57 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Justin .- no worries those jerseys are a little small. I am normally good with xl but its a little tight.

I started a 56 mile ride to help a friend who is doing IM Raleigh in 2 weeks. There was him another coworker and me. It was cut short by a broken spoke on his bike. We got a ride back and did a 4 mile run. He wanted to keep an 11 min mile pace which I told him we would. I kept him at just under it around 10:50. I speed up the last .25 mile to get my running stride back since I was keeping my cadence normal but cutting my stride way down to run his speed. I learned a lot about riding in a group.

After the bike and run we went to get lunch and I had some great local IPA's (wish I could remember which ones) I wore my BDAS jersey for the bike but forgot to get a picture. Next time I will.

I have also decided to sell my new bike. I am going to get the black one (almost bought p3 just for color).
2015-05-15 8:56 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by chayes

Went for a run today! Since my marathon I've been in this wormhole of house remodeling. I wasn't even planning it, but my helpers were available and I was so anxious to get it done. Over the past 2 years I've basically redone my whole first floor with lots of help from parents and friends- including tearing out a chimney, taking a couple of walls down to the studs, switching my kitchen and dining room, all new flooring.,, now there's still some trim to put up but my whole house is livable again!
Also I got a sampler case from Otter Creek that my helpers and I have drank over the past few weeks. 4 different beers and I loved them all! I'm not sure if it's because I haven't been drinking or if they're really good beers....

Otter Creek is right near me, Christina!! It's fate - we need a group tri here in lovely VT with our many breweries available to explore! The weekend of June 26/27 there is a nice Colchester Sprint Triathlon - 500 yd swim, 12 mile bike (about as flat as you'll find in VT), and a 5k run. I'm in this year - it was cancelled last year due to a bad thunderstorm (same weekend as the Lake Placid IM and they were pulling swimmers out of the water over there due to the storms). I'm seeking revenge of sorts.
There is also the Vermont Sun Triathlon series at Lake Dunmore - beautiful little lake - no milfoil (invasive lengthy weed). They have around 3 or 4 dates available. I'd do them all if I could but I'm looking at maybe the August 9th one and they offer both sprint and Oly distances. This is the one I placed 3rd in last year in my AG.

http://www.vermontsuntriathlonseries.com/

http://www.colchestertri.com/

Just throwing it out there in case anyone might be interested!!
2015-05-16 11:52 AM
in reply to: #5115542

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Last post for me for a while...I leave for Egypt for a month tomorrow morning. Got in a nice 11 mile ride this morning 166/400 in the rain. Tomorrow I plan to get in a run before I have to leave for the airport, so I'll be out in every peice of reflective gear I own at 3:30am with my headlamp on! Triathletes can be crazy sometimes!

Good luck to all who are racing while I'm away!! Happy training to everyone else!
2015-05-16 2:52 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Last post for me for a while...I leave for Egypt for a month tomorrow morning. Got in a nice 11 mile ride this morning 166/400 in the rain. Tomorrow I plan to get in a run before I have to leave for the airport, so I'll be out in every peice of reflective gear I own at 3:30am with my headlamp on! Triathletes can be crazy sometimes!

Good luck to all who are racing while I'm away!! Happy training to everyone else!

Have a good trip Gretchen!
2015-05-16 3:15 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Otter Creek is right near me, Christina!! It's fate - we need a group tri here in lovely VT with our many breweries available to explore! The weekend of June 26/27 there is a nice Colchester Sprint Triathlon - 500 yd swim, 12 mile bike (about as flat as you'll find in VT), and a 5k run. I'm in this year - it was cancelled last year due to a bad thunderstorm (same weekend as the Lake Placid IM and they were pulling swimmers out of the water over there due to the storms). I'm seeking revenge of sorts.
There is also the Vermont Sun Triathlon series at Lake Dunmore - beautiful little lake - no milfoil (invasive lengthy weed). They have around 3 or 4 dates available. I'd do them all if I could but I'm looking at maybe the August 9th one and they offer both sprint and Oly distances. This is the one I placed 3rd in last year in my AG.

Colchesters is only 1,051 km's from us! I think I may be working that weekend though.....

2015-05-16 5:27 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Safe travels, Gretchen! Enjoy the experience!

Juan
2015-05-16 7:43 PM
in reply to: #5115924

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Super excited! In a fit of pre-departure organization, I just pulled the trigger on two races for the summer, both sprints, both to be done with my sister. Now I'm racing in July and August.
2015-05-16 10:03 PM
in reply to: #5115991

User image

Extreme Veteran

Alan- yikes are you okay?

I have a swim training question- I have really not done any and have a race in 2 weeks. Is there any point trying to ramp volume- or just try to do an OWS or 2 to get used to my wetsuit and dark cold water (I'm a pretty good swimmer- swam through college-so am not worried about completing it I seam further than race distance today.). Just wondering if there's any point, but thinking I'll just make myself sore.

I really am underprepared and with constant rain my mtn bike has really not gotten out.
2015-05-16 10:09 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Long Overdue Check In Life happened this week. It was mostly family obligations that got in the way of workouts, but life none the less. I missed 4 days in a row, so I wrote it off as prolonged body recovery time. Since then I got back on the horse and today I did an early run followed by a late S/B brick. I'm hoping that this is enough to get my butt in gear. Only 3 weeks to my first tri.

Gretchen Have a nice trip.

2015-05-17 9:37 AM

User image

, Vermont

Super excited! In a fit of pre-departure organization, I just pulled the trigger on two races for the summer, both sprints, both to be done with my sister. Now I'm racing in July and August.

Nice!!! Something to work toward!!
Have a great trip, be safe!!

2015-05-17 4:28 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Alan- yikes are you okay?

I have a swim training question- I have really not done any and have a race in 2 weeks. Is there any point trying to ramp volume- or just try to do an OWS or 2 to get used to my wetsuit and dark cold water (I'm a pretty good swimmer- swam through college-so am not worried about completing it I seam further than race distance today.). Just wondering if there's any point, but thinking I'll just make myself sore.

I really am underprepared and with constant rain my mtn bike has really not gotten out.

If you swam in college, I honestly would not be worried - at all. Endurance may be, but not swimming. For us who did not swim much in high school/college, is the least of the problems, so for a swimmer like you, I would not try too much.

Juan
2015-05-17 6:52 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Hi All - So sorry for being away for so long. I just want to say - it's not you - it's me! With 3 kids, a wife whose own schedule is ramping up with end of school year events, a job search, scouts, oh yea and working in a job that sucks the life out of me, I've had my hands full. So, I apologize for not being a more active member and I will try to do better this week.

I have managed to ramp up my training over the last week. Yesterday, I rode 30 miles - the longest I've ridden since last October. I've also started to try to get my run on with a week worth of walking. I threw in a few minutes of jogging today and am hoping that one more cautious week combined with some aqua jogging will let me start a more aggressive program two weeks from now.

Finally - and here's the big news story.... In an effort to get my @ss in gear - I bet my coach that I would lose 8 pounds by June 22. If I don't, I lose the ability to drink beer for the ENTIRE SUMMER! With no job on the horizon - saving $ might not be the worst thing. But there is no way I'm going to let that happen! I worked my off this weekend!

Hope everyone has a great week!
2015-05-18 12:26 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Moonrocket- I'm in exactly the same boat as you. No swimming for about 3 weeks due to various reasons (laziness being the biggest) and a race in 2 weeks. I finally got in the pool on Friday for 1000 yards broken into 3- 300's with a 100 cool down, and it felt awful. On the plus side, I did 1300 today (300 warm up and then a straight 1000) and it felt great. So hopefully the great part will carry over to the race. For the 1000 I just concentrated on form and bilateral breathing without worrying about pace at all, and I felt like I could have gone all day. Certainly not fast, though.
I'm right there with you with the bike also. I pulled my mountain bike out of the garage for the first time this year for a short track race on Tuesday. Due to some work/on-call confusion, I arrived at the race as my group was staged to start, got my timing chip, joined the back of the pack as the gun went off, and crossed the start line with my race number clenched in my teeth. Finished mid pack so I can't complain too much. For some reason my bike handling skills didn't magically improve over the winter, but I survived. Luckily Lory is a pretty easy bike leg.
2015-05-18 5:39 AM
in reply to: SoberMike

User image

Expert
I got my swim in this morning and plan on biking and doing PT when I get home from work. Still working on the mojo - and battling the thought of another week in a difficult job but I only need to make it through another 18 days.

I had two ideas while I was swimming - 1) It might be cool to skype or do a google hangout some night or weekend. That way we could connect a real face to a screen name. We could even figure out a way of including beer. Thoughts?

2nd Idea - I would love to do a monthly challenge against another mentor group. We have talked about it but its never happened. We could do a weight loss or a workout challenge or something like that. Of course we would win since we are the best damn group on BT but it might be fun. Thoughts?

Anyone want to throw out a topic for the week? Anyone racing this weekend?
2015-05-18 5:44 AM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Expert
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Hey guys.

Sorry guys for missing out on training and everything here, y'all really are a fantastic group that I am happy to be a part of.

I'm sure a lot will see this wall of text and scroll past, for those that actually took the time to read it, thank you, I needed somewhere to vent and confess everything so I can move on.

Hey Devin - I'm sorry I didn't see this post until now (I've been playing hookie too thanks to my own issues. But I hope things are going better for you and that things are a little more "normal"

My question - what's one thing that you will do this week to do something nice/good for yourself? On my end, I need to slow down my own drinking so I'm going to pledge to you that I will only drink a six pack this week. Do we have a deal? No worries if this isn't your thing - but holding each other accountable helps I think.

Best to you my friend!

2015-05-18 5:49 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

I've been absent for a little while but I've been following everyone's posts. Seems everyone is having the usual ups and downs of training for the most part. 

As for me, I had another bike race 1.5 weeks ago on Sunday. I DNF'd due to a crash. Sheared 8 spokes on my front tire. Last week I was in the Blue Mountains here in Ontario doing some race recon and hill training for my big race at the end of the month. I have another race coming up in Niagara this weekend. I'm hoping to stand on the podium at this one. 

My biggest setback in training has been weight. I've let it get a little high for me. Trying to get it under control again. 

Here's my wheel after the crash. 

Alan - I hope you fared better than your beloved bike my friend! Heal up soon. And I saw you had lost a few kilos so kudos for that!
2015-05-18 5:51 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert

Jenn - Any other late season races up there? My HIM is at end of August so something in late september might be great!
2015-05-18 5:52 AM

User image

Expert

Gretchen - bon voyage and safe travels! You are a mad woman! Congrats on all you have accomplished this year. Go show those slackers in Egypt how it's done!
2015-05-18 5:57 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Snewo

Long Overdue Check In Life happened this week. It was mostly family obligations that got in the way of workouts, but life none the less. I missed 4 days in a row, so I wrote it off as prolonged body recovery time. Since then I got back on the horse and today I did an early run followed by a late S/B brick. I'm hoping that this is enough to get my butt in gear. Only 3 weeks to my first tri.

Gretchen Have a nice trip.

Hey Dave - perfect timing to give your body a break. I don't know what your training plan calls for and how long your taper is - but this is probably going to be your biggest week of training so far. Push it just a little this week to give yourself a little boost of confidence as you head toward race day. Also - consider practicing your transitions after your long workouts this week and especially during your brick workout. I promise you will be glad you did.

KNow this - you are gonna do great. How could you not wearing that awesome shirt you designed!
2015-05-18 11:37 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by Qua17

I got my swim in this morning and plan on biking and doing PT when I get home from work. Still working on the mojo - and battling the thought of another week in a difficult job but I only need to make it through another 18 days.

I had two ideas while I was swimming - 1) It might be cool to skype or do a google hangout some night or weekend. That way we could connect a real face to a screen name. We could even figure out a way of including beer. Thoughts?

2nd Idea - I would love to do a monthly challenge against another mentor group. We have talked about it but its never happened. We could do a weight loss or a workout challenge or something like that. Of course we would win since we are the best damn group on BT but it might be fun. Thoughts?

Anyone want to throw out a topic for the week? Anyone racing this weekend?

Beer Skype! Sweet.

2015-05-18 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
So here is my Bike jersey 'Before" shot, after commuting into work yesterday, I guess it doesnt look as tight as it feels, but it is still way too tight for a 2XL!

(BDAS.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
BDAS.jpg (409KB - 3 downloads)
2015-05-18 3:54 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Qua17

Jenn - Any other late season races up there? My HIM is at end of August so something in late september might be great!

Dave, I'm not sure but I can look around. My "A" race is Labor Day weekend at Lake George but I'll look for something after that! That would be very cool!!
2015-05-18 3:56 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by justinfss

So here is my Bike jersey 'Before" shot, after commuting into work yesterday, I guess it doesnt look as tight as it feels, but it is still way too tight for a 2XL!

Hey, Justin, great shot! Remember this page number so you can scroll back here at the end of August or whenever your last race is!!
2015-05-18 6:22 PM

User image

Originally posted by justinfss So here is my Bike jersey 'Before" shot, after commuting into work yesterday, I guess it doesnt look as tight as it feels, but it is still way too tight for a 2XL!

IMO that's exactly how it should fit. It looks good. You look like a legit cyclist. :D

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54385 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.