BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-07-03 4:10 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Thor - scary adventure, glad to hear he is fine, now he will have a good story to impress his friends!

Gretchen - I learned a new word (poison ivy), thanks! Wish you a quick recovery and a good tolerance to steroids!!

Juan

2015-07-03 4:16 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

I have a question for the experts here, of which all of you are compared to me

The Y organizing my tri for the end of the month has reached out to all the newbies and offered a couple tri clinics, including OWS plus transition plus getting to ride the bike course. At first I'm thinking I don't need a clinic, I'm doing a tri every Thursday night in my small group class. But the option to swim the lake and ride the course a couple weeks before the tri is very tempting. My wife aka my tri coach (who always thinks I don't need anything), thinks I don't need the clinic. Need is a strong word, but like I said, OWS in the actual lake for my swim plus bike on the actual road course...

John - I'm not sure what's causing the temptation - but if you're tempted - you should do it. Being able to learn the course will have a huge psychological impact on race day. I often feel like not knowing what's over the next hill is one of the biggest battle I fight when I'm doing a race. When I have had the opportunity to ride the race prior - I often do better and more importantly worry less the night before the race. Plus - you never know - you might learn a technique that would benefit you in every race you do in the future. If you thought of it that way - would it be worth it to you?
2015-07-03 4:17 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Qua17

Agreed - but you jinxed your team. Cleveland has the better record as of tonight (and we just missed a no hitter!)

We should get together for a game sometime.

Of COURSE I did! Ladies and gentlemen, your 2015 Red Sox! lol.

I've got tickets to a couple more games this year and always looking for someone to go with me....let's set something up!

Sox are playing the tribe in August I think. We should go. You provide the tix - I'll grab the beer and not mess with you when the Indians win
2015-07-03 4:19 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Run and lift for me today! I love lifting--I always feel so strong afterwards.

Currently sitting at the urgent care waiting to see a doctor. Mine is out of town. Woke up this morning with a raging case of poison ivy on my face, including around/on one of my eyes. Given that it typically spreads over the next couple of days for me, I figured I need to nip this one in the bud. I hate getting poison ivy!!!

OMG Gretchen - I hate poison ivy and it spreads for me too! Glad to hear you are getting it taken care of!

2015-07-03 4:20 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Zwift - I'm on there but can't use it yet - not Bluetooth compatible yet (920xt). Can't wait until it is! Alan used Zwift a fair amount over the winter I remember. He'd be a great one to chime in.

Gretchen - poison ivy SUCKS!! I react so badly with poison ivy!! I really hope you can get it quickly!! I had to go on steroids one time I had it so bad - my arm tripled in size.

John - absolutely do that "mock tri!" That is a brilliant thing and can only help you!! Race day will be so much easier mentally because you will have done the swim, transition, and bike! Do it!

Scott - definitely good to change a flat for the experience. I changed out my rear tube and tire this year and had to change a flat last year. I'm not fast at it, but at least Ibknow I can do it!

At camp - haven't worked out since the race. Was going to swim this morning but hubby wanted to get going to camp....4 hours later we were on our way. I brought my wetsuit though so I can get one in the lake this weekend and I hope to get in a bike tomorrow.
Happy July 4th a bit ahead of time! My service is intermittent!
Cheers! Oh! I found a couple of 4 packs of Heady Topper! - had to meet the delivery truck! LOL

4 packs of Heady Topper = hitting the lottery!
2015-07-03 4:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Managed to get some bikes and lake swims in which was great. Sunday me and my son decided to bike into Penticton. About 2 miles in we were heading down a long hill on hwy when my son hit a rock and lost control.. He flew off his bike at about 35mph. Worst thing I have seen as a parent. Thankfully he was not seriously hurt. Road rash all over but no broken bones or worse. Dr. said a few of them were equivalent to 3rd degree burns. Been a tough week for the family. Going to get back training this weekend. Apparently I have been doing a 1 month taper...Our "A" race is next weekend.

Thor - Tough way to earn such a great picture. As for seeing the crash - I won't ride behind my son (the one with a TBI) because his balance is so bad that he come close to falling every time we go out. My heart just can't take it! Glad to hear he is going better and good luck in the race!

Edited by Qua17 2015-07-03 4:45 PM

2015-07-03 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
I need to change the way I think... The past two weeks have been my best two training weeks ALL year. I've crushed each workout and gone farther and faster than I have since IMMT10 months ago. Yet, I ate poorly last night and it has me off my game. Instead focusing on the positive, I'm just thinking about those extra 750 calories....

or.... Maybe I shouldn't.... Feeling badly about last night's pig out session has me more focused today and I put my all into my swim this afternoon. Plus, I'm eating like a champ today. Richard Simmons would be proud.

It's all a cycle - but in reality, it's really just a process. If I can keep focusing on my training, as I have in the past 4 years (with the last 10 months omitted) then I will be doing just fine.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna ride 55 miles and I'm gonna dedicate those miles to Thor's son.... I've never wipedout on a hill but it takes a lot of fortitude to get back on the bike and keep going. While he may not be an official member of the group - he's still a BDAS!

Edited by Qua17 2015-07-03 4:56 PM
2015-07-04 10:22 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Got up early to get on a ride before the roads got busy this morning, but then had to wait until the fog lifted! At least I got in a second cup of coffee. Once things cleared up I headed out and had a great ride of 24mi, my longest yet. Plus, it was a really hilly ride, including the hill I crashes on two years ago, and I had good splits and only had to stop on one hill, which is huge for me! I lowered my seat about 5mm from where the bike shop had it and magically I had no issues with my hands going numb this morning either. It is amazing how tiny adjustments can make a huge difference. It solves my undercarriage issues too.

Happy 4th to all the Americans!! Hope you have a great, and safe, holiday!!
2015-07-04 12:28 PM
in reply to: #5126639

User image

DeLand, Florida
Totally sold on the idea of the tri clinic for my race. It's my first so all the prep can only help. You guys rock - thanks!

My 5k yesterday was great! Had no expectations for a PR with all of the climbing involved. And let's not forget the descending. 50 yards downhill, 180 degree turn, repeat something like 12 or 13 times. Those I think are harder than the uphill climb. However, I pushed through it all and got a PR by 10 seconds. Not much but it's still my fastest ever and I'm psyched!

Happy 4th of July!

Also - start of the Tour de France!
2015-07-04 4:10 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Got up early to get on a ride before the roads got busy this morning, but then had to wait until the fog lifted! At least I got in a second cup of coffee. Once things cleared up I headed out and had a great ride of 24mi, my longest yet. Plus, it was a really hilly ride, including the hill I crashes on two years ago, and I had good splits and only had to stop on one hill, which is huge for me! I lowered my seat about 5mm from where the bike shop had it and magically I had no issues with my hands going numb this morning either. It is amazing how tiny adjustments can make a huge difference. It solves my undercarriage issues too.

Happy 4th to all the Americans!! Hope you have a great, and safe, holiday!!

Gretchen - Sounds like you had an epic day - not only conquering a ride that has brought you pain (literally) but also setting a new PR. Outstanding! What beer are you celebrating with - now that you can hold a bottle with you un numbed hands
2015-07-04 4:13 PM

User image

Expert

Totally sold on the idea of the tri clinic for my race. It's my first so all the prep can only help. You guys rock - thanks!

My 5k yesterday was great! Had no expectations for a PR with all of the climbing involved. And let's not forget the descending. 50 yards downhill, 180 degree turn, repeat something like 12 or 13 times. Those I think are harder than the uphill climb. However, I pushed through it all and got a PR by 10 seconds. Not much but it's still my fastest ever and I'm psyched!

Happy 4th of July!

Also - start of the Tour de France!

Boom! PR at Gillette. Good thing you didn't come up short or else you might have felt "deflated"

Seriously! Considering what you had to do to reach the finish line - you should be mighty stoked and proud of yourself!

You deserve something tasty - like a UFO or some Jack' Abby!

2015-07-04 6:34 PM
in reply to: #5126649

User image

DeLand, Florida
Gretchen - sounds like a great ride! Glad you got the bike sorted. I know mine is close but needs a few tweaks. You mean numb hands aren't normal? If so mine definitely needs a few tweaks

Got in a rain and tired wife shortened 11 mile bike trail ride in today. Quads are still sore from the race (wife did the 10k yesterday) but that didn't stop us from going out anyway. Pulling a 45 lb child plus a trailer really does slow you down. We had a nice clear straight stretch and all I could manage was 19mph. Went for a little trailer free sprint after we got back to the car and managed 25 before I was bouncing out of the seat. These TdF guys and their sustained 35 mph is just nuts!

Off to the fireworks!
2015-07-04 6:37 PM
in reply to: #5126693

User image

DeLand, Florida
Oh almost forgot - had the privilege of lining up with Dave MacGillivray (Boston Marathon race director) last night. He ran the 5k then became the first person not named Dick Hoyt to push Rick in a race. Got to see them finish while I was waiting for my wife to finish. If the Hoyts don't bring a tear of joy to your eye, you might not be human...
2015-07-05 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Hey Guys sorry for being MIA for the last week or so, just getting caught up on the posts here now.

Thor Amazing picture of your son on the camping trip, sorry to hear about his crash hopefully he is well on the mend now. You are definitley an inspiration to me for how I want to bring up my child and any future children.

DQ How'd the 55 mile ride go? I think the farthest I have ever biked is, maybe, 30 miles.

Gretchen Sounds like a great ride you had, I have numbness in my hands as well, I am going to try to lover my seat a tad as well and see if that may fix it.

John Sweet PR on your 5K buddy! also regarding towing a stroller, 19mph is blazing! great resistance training.

2015-07-05 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
So where did we end up with the one on one weight challanges, I have been consistantly loggin my food on MFP for over a week now, and boy does it help. Big wake up call! Good news is that I have dropped about 8-10 pounds since mid June, this may not be sustainable, but my buddy at work hooked me up with a simple 4 day weight program using dumnbells and a bowflex, I like it and I think it can only help my SBR.

Speaking of SBR I havent done that much of either, this past week, only about 20-30K on the bike, and no running or swimming at all. I was hoping to do the local triathlon here in a few weeks but I dont think that is going to happen, due to a lack of training on my part, and I am working on that day as of right now.

How is everyone else doing wise? Beer wise? other wise??

Edited by justinfss 2015-07-05 7:41 AM
2015-07-05 7:46 AM

User image

well done on the PR!

glad to hear you son is OK

poison ivy is no fun. I almost always end up needing a shot when I get it.

It's my rest day after missing my bike yesterday, but I did get in my 1:15 run. I did however have to walk up and down 12 flights of stairs to find a suitable position for the 4th celebration. My first race of the season is next sat. Stumpy Creek international. I also have the 2nd and 3rd parts of my Sgt assessment this week so it will be a busy one. I am pretty nervous about the race since this is my first at this distance (even though I have done a half I have never done international).

Sorry for my recent absence from BT I hit a wall with training. I was no longer looking forward to my workouts and I fell of the wagon for almost 2 weeks. (as evident by my Garmin stats). I'm back now with the race coming up I am feeling like I am getting back in the groove. Also racing a sprint the following weekend. I want to see how much I can shave off my last year time.

Well my pledge is to do better going forward. Besides I only have 2 1/2 months till I attempt my first IM.

2015-07-05 8:14 AM

User image

Expert

Oh almost forgot - had the privilege of lining up with Dave MacGillivray (Boston Marathon race director) last night. He ran the 5k then became the first person not named Dick Hoyt to push Rick in a race. Got to see them finish while I was waiting for my wife to finish. If the Hoyts don't bring a tear of joy to your eye, you might not be human...

I met Dave MacGillivray last year when he visited my school. He's a totally nice guy. If I don't get a charity bib for next years marathon, I'm thinking of running the marathon route with him when he does it after the race is over. of course, I could probably only keep up with him until we got to the bottom of the first hill in Hopkington but it might be a cool way to "do the race" without earning my way into it.

The hoyts are amazing!
2015-07-05 8:17 AM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Originally posted by justinfss

So where did we end up with the one on one weight challanges, I have been consistantly loggin my food on MFP for over a week now, and boy does it help. Big wake up call! Good news is that I have dropped about 8-10 pounds since mid June, this may not be sustainable, but my buddy at work hooked me up with a simple 4 day weight program using dumnbells and a bowflex, I like it and I think it can only help my SBR.

Speaking of SBR I havent done that much of either, this past week, only about 20-30K on the bike, and no running or swimming at all. I was hoping to do the local triathlon here in a few weeks but I dont think that is going to happen, due to a lack of training on my part, and I am working on that day as of right now.

How is everyone else doing wise? Beer wise? other wise??

Justin - Congrats on your weight loss! That's awesome! What's your user name on MFP? Also - if you can't make that race - when are you going to race next? Signing up for a race will give you the motivation to SBR more and that will help your weight loss exponentially!

Prost my friend!
2015-07-05 8:22 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Scott - Sounds to me that with the steps and the run - you had a pretty good training day! I think you will really enjoy your OLY next week and with all the training you've been doing - you will have no problems crushing it.

Good luck with your test!
2015-07-05 8:24 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Yesterday was an epic ride but I finished! I met up with a friend at the County Park and we headed West towards Torch Lake. It was great riding with someone who possesses so much experience because he was able to school me in the ways of the bike as we rode along. It was also great learning new roads so I can avoid heavy traffic around here. Along the way - I had to change another flat. We rode 29 miles together and saw some amazing scenery before we split and I headed back towards the cottage. I made it 10 miles before I got my second flat and I was super careful to check to make sure nothing was sticking out of my rim or the backside of my tire. I didn't see anything, so I headed out again and didn't make it another mile before I had my 3rd flat. Grr! HQ had to come out and get me and we stopped at the store and bought a pump on the way home. At home, I used my patch kit to "fix" the three tubes I had gone through and then I headed out to finish my 55 mile ride. Wanting to add some more elevation (I finished with 3500 feet, which is 3x Rev3 Maine), I rode up the two biggest hills in the county being sure to take the descents nice and slow in case I got another flat. That just made the hills harder. Even with the patch jobs, I still had to pump my read tire 3 times to make it home. But I finished. It was nice to feel the "I will finish this ride" mentality again, which is something I really haven't felt a lot of this year. With 8 weeks to go until my HIM - it's about time.

To celebrate - I enjoyed a tasty 2 Hearted Ale by Bells and a great Apple Cider by a local brewer up here in Michigan. It was spectacular!

Have a great Sunday everyone!
2015-07-05 9:13 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sounds awesome Dave!

I'm starting to get sore! How do you guys manage soreness?

3 hour mtn bike fri hour run yesterday. Babysitter coming in an hour to mtn bike again for a few hours.

2015-07-05 9:49 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Moonrocket

I'm starting to get sore! How do you guys manage soreness?

3 hour mtn bike fri hour run yesterday. Babysitter coming in an hour to mtn bike again for a few hours.

Rest
Rolling
Ice
Massage
Stretching
Day Off
Zum Rub - I don't believe in things like this - but I swear by it... The mnthol worked miracles on my sore hip (http://www.earthturns.com/for-Muscles-p/Indigo-Wild-Zum-Rub-6402.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwq-OsBRDd95aryprR9wQSJACQnU3GlDxjbF9U1YhP7LP4qpIJB9YFOUT4xaZkFp_cg6edvhoCKEvw_wcB)
Ibuprofen
More ice (like it's my job)

Feel better and enjoy that ride!
2015-07-05 12:31 PM

User image

Dave you are killing it with the elevation changes. Check the rim tape on the tire that keeps going flat. If its off the tube may be getting stuck in the spoke.
2015-07-05 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
I just got back from doing my longest run this year and trying to focus more on the accomplishment than on the time. The fact that I had my heaviest training week of the year helps... Also helps that I was running on the field where I did some of my longest runs for IMMT (that's the reward Scott and Alex will get during their training for their Ironmans!).

Thanks for the advice on the rim tape Scott. I will check it out tomorrow.

Question - during my ride yesterday, it became apparent that the area where I have the most to learn is in the area of biking. And since the bike leg is the longest leg - it makes the most sense to really focus there in order to improve my time for REV3 Maine. I don't have the money for power meters or cadence counters - but I do have the money for a really good book on the fundamentals of biking. Does any one have any suggestions on a book that speaks to the novice. I want to work on my technique from the ground up.

Everyone - Don't forget to post your goals for the week.

I hope everyone is doing well and drinking good beer. My plan is to head to Buffalo Wild Wings for beer, wings, nascar, and soccer tonight! Go USA!

Edited by Qua17 2015-07-05 3:36 PM
2015-07-05 5:58 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Afternoon everyone!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Busy night last night at work for me, worked overtime again for the 4th day in a row..didn't get out until the sun was up.

Slept in a little today, weather sucked AGAIN today..only managed to get a short tempo run in, however it was my best mile(off the treadmill) so far, 7:27/mi, not sure if that's my performance getting better, or if I was hauling butt to get back inside before the next line of thunderstorms. Lol. Lightning sprints!

My goal for this week is to log at least 5 days of workouts. 6 would be ideal. Already paid my dues to get my masters membership back and get back in the pool...which I'm actually eager to do.

Off to work again.. Sigh.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54509 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.