BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-07-29 8:48 AM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business

Hey everyone,

It's been awhile for me but I've been in Chicago for the last 2 weeks racing in the Intelligentsia Cup. It was a lot of fun and awesome racing. I didn't do as well I hoped I would but it was a great learning experience. My best effort was a $60 prime sprint at the Waukegan Bike Race and 14th place (of 65) at the Elmhurst Cycling Classic. I DNF'd a few races and others I had to sacrifice placement for the team win. I was doing well in the Willow Springs Road Race but ended up dead last because I had to get a bottle to my teammate on the last lap who was getting ready to lead out another teammate. In another race, a teammate went up the road in a breakaway with 5 other riders so it was my job to sit on the front of the peloton and 'impede forward progress' so that the breakaway wouldn't be caught. There were a number of crashes. My bike, my wheels, and my body have a few more dings and scrapes than they did before but that's bike racing. 

After spending the week living in the same house as the team director and coach and seeing what they do behind the scenes, I've decided I'm going to start coaching. I've registered for certification training in the fall but I'd like to start getting some clients now. If you know anyone looking for an affordable coach, let me know. 

2015-07-29 8:53 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 I just got home from a ride/trip to the bike shop. Billy Baroo is in need of some repair so I went to the shop to see what I could do verses what they should do. I have two major repairs that I need to do: 1) replace my chain and my cassette 2) replace my rear shifting cables. For a little more than I would have to pay for labor, I could buy the tools at the shop to do the job and the guy promises me that while it will be challenging it's doable - even for a non nechanical guy like me. When I asked him how long it would take me - he told me - two beers tops. Now those are terms I can understand. What do you think? Is this the most cost efficient way to go? Will I be able to pull this off. Anyone know of some good on line resources that might help me? So on the way home, I was doing hill repeats and I wasn't paying attention and my rear tire caught a pot hole and I flatted. Ugh. Luckily, I had bought some C02 cartridges at the shop and was able to change it. But this nice guy named Pat stopped and was willing to take me home - how cool is that?

Changing cables isn't an overly difficult job. But if you're going to do them, do them all at once (gears and brakes). Just make sure to measure the housing so you can get the sizes right on the new stuff. Gear cables (housing and cables) are different than brake cables so make sure you get the right ones for each. Also make sure to take a picture of how your cables are organized coming off your handle bars so you can get them back to the same place when you put the new ones in. There should be lots of videos on Youtube for such a job. 

2015-07-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - No beer for David Q

Well it #9 is in the books for my own 10 5k's in 10 days challenge. Was a good run this morning with the sun just coming up. One more tomorrow just in time for mini holiday!

My wife moved her boot camp outside the rec center this morning and had the rowing machine outside for it. So I hopped on it before her class for 2.7km row. Man, I love working out in the fresh air!

2015-07-29 10:32 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

DeLand, Florida
Great job Jenn, Mark, and Kate!

And Thor- you too on your 10 days of 5ks!

And Dave - grats on the weight loss!!

And Alan - welcome back! Great work on the sprint prize and the 14th overall. Also on the decision to start coaching!

Anyone racing this weekend?
2015-07-29 10:35 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida
Oh almost forgot - I had my post race beer last night, even though it was two nights late. I had a hard boot camp class so it felt like a good a time as any to drink a 22oz 11.5% beer by myself So, the Evil Twin Imperial Doughnut Break was not everything I hoped... It was tasty, for sure. The Imperial Biscotti Break (imp stout) was much better to me. The Doughnut break is a porter, maybe I'm just more of a stout guy? Anyway at $18 for the 22oz it was worth a shot, but didn't live up to the hype I created for it, or the cost. Guess not all beers can be amazing right?
2015-07-29 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
I promise to get to everyone's posts tomorrow but it sounds like we are all working hard and having great beer. That's what it's all about.

I slept through my alarm this morning and ended up having to ride 30 in the noonday heat. It was brutal. It was my speedwork day and while I'm proud to say I gave it my all - it just blew. I hate working out in the heat and I frankly don't know how people like Alex do it. I would rather work out in -10 degree temps than in 90 degree s temp with humidity.

I'm going over to a friends house for dinner tonight and plan to swing by the beer store. I wanna try those donut break beers John. I like Evil Twin and even if they aren't great - I'd still like to give them a go.

2015-07-29 2:03 PM

User image

Got in my 1:30 trainer ride today. I'm off for my swim and work.

Alan- glad you had fun on the bike races. Will you be coaching on line or in person?

Jenn- sounds like you are ready for an Oly. the swim is what I found the most challenging and you know you will rock that with ease.

2015-07-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Oh, the swim was pretty gross too - quite weedy. Folks who swam it the day before said there were so many very large fish right under them that didn't move, just hung out there. One girl bagged on doing the race because the swim scared her. LOL Probably some big bass, maybe pike (aka fresh water barracuda). LOL

Yuck. I do most of my OWS practices in weeds so am getting used to them but fresh water barracuda just might do me in. Good job.

Sandi
2015-07-29 3:04 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Qua17

I'm going over to a friends house for dinner tonight and plan to swing by the beer store. I wanna try those donut break beers John. I like Evil Twin and even if they aren't great - I'd still like to give them a go.

Dave - I liked the Biscotti Break (stout) much better than the Doughnut Break (porter). I think that's because in general I like stouts better than porters. And I did like the porter, just not $18 for 22oz like it
2015-07-29 3:06 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by sandishr

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Oh, the swim was pretty gross too - quite weedy. Folks who swam it the day before said there were so many very large fish right under them that didn't move, just hung out there. One girl bagged on doing the race because the swim scared her. LOL Probably some big bass, maybe pike (aka fresh water barracuda). LOL

Yuck. I do most of my OWS practices in weeds so am getting used to them but fresh water barracuda just might do me in. Good job.

Sandi

My tri this weekend was in a clear/weedy lake. Same deal - we could see fish just hanging out in the weeds. I thought it was cool though, gave me something to look at while focusing on my stroke for a 1/4 mile.

Ok I didn't care for the part where I inhaled half a weed and it got caught in my goggles. I actually broke stroke and stopped to get it off. During a race. I know, sacrilege
2015-07-29 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

At $18 it had better come with a dozen freshly made doughnuts! My wife would kill me if I shelled out $18US($23+ Cad$).David Q, you could get a lot of Molson's beer for that...

Originally posted by firebert
Originally posted by Qua17 I'm going over to a friends house for dinner tonight and plan to swing by the beer store. I wanna try those donut break beers John. I like Evil Twin and even if they aren't great - I'd still like to give them a go.
Dave - I liked the Biscotti Break (stout) much better than the Doughnut Break (porter). I think that's because in general I like stouts better than porters. And I did like the porter, just not $18 for 22oz like it

2015-07-29 4:43 PM
in reply to: #5131447

User image

Extreme Veteran
There's a race I'm thinking of signing up for next weekend. They describe the swim as a "cold, grassy 1000m adventure swim." Hmmm
2015-07-29 5:51 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

Colorado Springs, Colorado
So I'm not sure how I missed the announcement, but I just saw an article talking about the new IA from felt.

Instead of a 2016 model of the current IA line, they are release 3 new IA models, they are doing away with the integrated stem and brakes, going to a more consumer friendly center pull brake and stem selection. Apparently the frame has been tweaked a little to be technically faster than the current model IA, but with the aero penalties of the stem and brake it makes them about even. Best part about the new line is the price point. Full Di2 ultegra comes in at $4999, down to 105 equipped for $2999. There's going to be a frameset as well.

Looks like I may have found my bike. I've always drooled over the IA, they were always just a bit out of my price range.

2015-07-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: #5131912

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Adventure swim? Not sure I like the sound of that.

Like Dave, I slept through my alarm and ended up doing my ride in the heat. Wouldn't have been as bad, but that I got waylaid by the neighbor for 40 min on my way out. Anyway, got in my ride and it was blegh...I feel your pain Dave! Afterwards I went for a short swim, which was supposed to be a long swim, but the water in my pool was just too warm to be doing a long set today.
2015-07-29 6:06 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Like Dave, I slept through my alarm and ended up doing my ride in the heat. Wouldn't have been as bad, but that I got waylaid by the neighbor for 40 min on my way out. Anyway, got in my ride and it was blegh...I feel your pain Dave! Afterwards I went for a short swim, which was supposed to be a long swim, but the water in my pool was just too warm to be doing a long set today.

If y'all wanna feel some real heat, come join me down in the bayou. Gives an entirely new meaning to hot.
2015-07-29 9:11 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Originally posted by b2b14 Got in my 1:30 trainer ride today. I'm off for my swim and work. Alan- glad you had fun on the bike races. Will you be coaching on line or in person? Jenn- sounds like you are ready for an Oly. the swim is what I found the most challenging and you know you will rock that with ease.

I want to do both. I want to start coaching elite and masters athletes (25+) and then eventually I'd like to start working with juniors and build a junior development cycling team. For now I'd like to find 3-4 athletes to work with.

2015-07-30 9:21 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by GeauxHard

If y'all wanna feel some real heat, come join me down in the bayou. Gives an entirely new meaning to hot.

103F air temp with 85% humidity when I got back--pretty hot
2015-07-30 9:23 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
4.4 mile run this morning followed by core work and some yoga (260/400). I forget how much I like doing yoga when I don't do it for a long time. I need to make it more of a priority, but where to find the extra time to squeeze it in! Thinking about an extra swim tonight--we'll see how work goes today if I can squeeze it in or not.

2015-07-30 9:42 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
I'm totally all set - with either of your climates! The 90 and 75% around here right now is near my limit for workouts. It does normally get warmer and more humid around here, we're just lucking out a bit this summer when people are calling a few days of 90+ a 'heat wave' - lol.

2015-07-30 9:46 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
One workout day a week for me is a dedicated yoga day. I've been doing the hot yoga, which helps loosen the muscles and keeps me prepped for workouts and races in 90+ temps. I know some people question why I would give up a S/B/R workout day for yoga but for me, if I did S/B/R 6 days a week, I'd be injured. I 'lose' a day this way, end up doing doubles some other days to get my scheduled S/B/Rs in, but have been pretty injury free. Yoga and PT - that's for me!

4.4 mile run this morning followed by core work and some yoga (260/400). I forget how much I like doing yoga when I don't do it for a long time. I need to make it more of a priority, but where to find the extra time to squeeze it in! Thinking about an extra swim tonight--we'll see how work goes today if I can squeeze it in or not.

2015-07-30 9:51 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Devon - those new IAs are pretty sexy! Looks like Felt's website isn't up with the new models yet, but I did see the announcements a couple places around the webs.

So I'm not sure how I missed the announcement, but I just saw an article talking about the new IA from felt.

Instead of a 2016 model of the current IA line, they are release 3 new IA models, they are doing away with the integrated stem and brakes, going to a more consumer friendly center pull brake and stem selection. Apparently the frame has been tweaked a little to be technically faster than the current model IA, but with the aero penalties of the stem and brake it makes them about even. Best part about the new line is the price point. Full Di2 ultegra comes in at $4999, down to 105 equipped for $2999. There's going to be a frameset as well.

Looks like I may have found my bike. I've always drooled over the IA, they were always just a bit out of my price range.

2015-07-30 10:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

50F with 87% humidity this morning...it was great running and biking this morning! I guess this is the trade off for winter when I am getting the -40 weather and a pile of snow...

That being said I am 10/10 on my 5k/day for 10 days journey! Off on mini camping holiday tonight! Yeah!

Originally posted by drfoodlove Adventure swim? Not sure I like the sound of that. Like Dave, I slept through my alarm and ended up doing my ride in the heat. Wouldn't have been as bad, but that I got waylaid by the neighbor for 40 min on my way out. Anyway, got in my ride and it was blegh...I feel your pain Dave! Afterwards I went for a short swim, which was supposed to be a long swim, but the water in my pool was just too warm to be doing a long set today.

Edited by thor67 2015-07-30 10:31 AM
2015-07-30 12:24 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

DeLand, Florida
Yeah Thor - congrats on 10 5ks in 10 days!

Dave Q I know I'm more than a week late but I did make a donation to Franciscan Children's in honor of your son.
2015-07-30 2:36 PM

User image

Great work, Thor! :-)

Sandi
2015-07-30 5:49 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Great job Thor!

Did anyone see who won Badwater? A dude from Omaha! That's right. One of my homies.

If I called Omaha home for over a decade, that means anyone from Omaha is my friend....right?

Got the old Lemonde all lubed and shined up for Sunday. I'm excited and a touch nervous for the tri. Typical for me. Nervous for a week until the morning of. Then it's all good.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54384 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.