BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-08-21 5:28 PM
in reply to: #5136245

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
I should also add that my learning moment of the day was realizing Fritos are not an appropriate pre run snack!

2015-08-22 10:42 AM
in reply to: #5136250

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Do I hear crickets? Quiet in here! I hope that means everyone is out having a great training day!!

I hit my long ride this morning...33.8mi, a personal best distance. Boy, it was a mental battle the whole way though! Methinks an impromptu tri yesterday was not the best setup for a great long ride. Couple that with the fact that I had to ride repeats of one 4.5 mile road to avoid traffic (SIU move in weekend--it brings in thousands of people who are stressed, distracted, and unfamiliar with the roads, not the greatest recepie for safe riding!) and I'm just glad it is over. I was hoping to get to the lake for an OWS, but my wife wants to go furniture shopping, so I don't think it is going to happen today.
2015-08-22 1:12 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Do I hear crickets? Quiet in here! I hope that means everyone is out having a great training day!!

I hit my long ride this morning...33.8mi, a personal best distance. Boy, it was a mental battle the whole way though! Methinks an impromptu tri yesterday was not the best setup for a great long ride. Couple that with the fact that I had to ride repeats of one 4.5 mile road to avoid traffic (SIU move in weekend--it brings in thousands of people who are stressed, distracted, and unfamiliar with the roads, not the greatest recepie for safe riding!) and I'm just glad it is over. I was hoping to get to the lake for an OWS, but my wife wants to go furniture shopping, so I don't think it is going to happen today.

Congrats on a new PR! That's awesome! Like many in the group - You are having a killer season! Considering all that you did yesterday, I'm not surprised you were a bit on the tired side today.

Now have some fritos to prep you for your trip to the furniture shop!
2015-08-22 4:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania

I'm quiet because I'm trying to come to terms with your statement that Fritos aren't a good pre-race snack. Carbs & salt to replenish what you're about to lose. Surely you're mistaken. (yes I'm joking but I did find this where they mention them: https://blog.greatharvest.com/the-bread-business-blog/how-to-run-a-m... )

I'm in training mode at the moment. Today was 12 miles. No planned races until:

September 26th I show off my legs in a kilt for a 10K
November 1st Half Marathon
November 15th Marathon

The marathon will be my first and I officially pulled the trigger on signing up so there's no turning back now. My training plan calls for some cross training days so that'll be when I try to retain as much as I can of my swim and bike abilities as I can.

What races does everyone have left this year?

Edited by Snewo 2015-08-22 5:06 PM
2015-08-22 10:02 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Hi all! Yes, quiet here.
I've had a sour stomach the last couple of days but pulled through a bike interval yesterday and 2,800 yards today. I wasn't feeling quite as strong today as an earlier swim last week but my times weren't too off so I got through it I guess. Slowly mending. Hubby and one child are fishing super early tomorrow so hoping to get in a "heat of the day" bike later.
I still have the race on Labor Day weekend. I ended up choosing the Oly over the HIM for a couple of reasons - run not being where it needs to be yet as well as just lack of time to train. Kids head back to school next week and now I have flight students lined up so I'll be getting back in the air again. It's all good - I will finally do a race I've done before so I can effectively compare times to last year.
I haven't taken a day off in a while and can feel my body fatiguing a bit. Tomorrow I will finally (hopefully) sleep in (I gave the youngest directions to not wake me up. LOL).
I'm thinking about a 10k in late September and possibly a Half Mary in October to test the knee so I can start to plan next year.

I hope everyone is enjoying these last bits of summer!!
2015-08-24 10:33 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Snewo

Dave - Good luck with your training!

Remaining races -

This weekend - Challenge Maine Half Ironman
Mid - October - Climb to the Clouds (Not a race but am hoping to do a hilly century to give myself a challenge)
November - Chilly half marathon, Turkey Trot with the kids

2015-08-24 10:38 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hi all! Yes, quiet here.
I've had a sour stomach the last couple of days but pulled through a bike interval yesterday and 2,800 yards today. I wasn't feeling quite as strong today as an earlier swim last week but my times weren't too off so I got through it I guess. Slowly mending. Hubby and one child are fishing super early tomorrow so hoping to get in a "heat of the day" bike later.
I still have the race on Labor Day weekend. I ended up choosing the Oly over the HIM for a couple of reasons - run not being where it needs to be yet as well as just lack of time to train. Kids head back to school next week and now I have flight students lined up so I'll be getting back in the air again. It's all good - I will finally do a race I've done before so I can effectively compare times to last year.
I haven't taken a day off in a while and can feel my body fatiguing a bit. Tomorrow I will finally (hopefully) sleep in (I gave the youngest directions to not wake me up. LOL).
I'm thinking about a 10k in late September and possibly a Half Mary in October to test the knee so I can start to plan next year.

I hope everyone is enjoying these last bits of summer!!

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling up to snuff lately but glad you have settled on your race for labor day. Being able to compare your times will really help show you how far you've come!

Ahh, sleeping in. Our youngest woke me around 7 today. She's cute - but not that cute
2015-08-24 10:48 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Captains Log...

I've had some GI issues that have been plaguing me for the last few days that appear to be getting worse. I'm hoping to see my Doc today to try to figure it out - but with a family history of crohns - I get pretty freaked out anytime I have a rumbly tummy for more than a few days. However - I was able to get in my workouts this weekend. I really pushed the pace knowing it's really my last hard workout before the race this weekend. I was also able to get in the pool without too much pain - the road rash is finally healing.

I dropped my bike off at a place that fixes cracked carbon frames. They can fix it for 300 - 500 - so cheaper than a new bike.

I got into a conversation about improving bike speed with the owner of the shop whose junior bike team has 4 of the top 6 bikers under the age of 20.... His suggestion was to change my frame - but riding in in areo bars still scares the crap out of me. He also told me to join a bike team and ride a lot. That's a good suggestion but right now - I'm so slow I can't keep up with anyone who is really good.
2015-08-24 12:03 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

After a couple back to back sprint triathlons (only a few weeks apart) I'm in a lull before my longer events of the year: 2 half-marathons and an olympic triathlon. My training distances for all disciplines are starting to ramp up!

2015-08-24 7:14 PM
in reply to: #5136382

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Agonizing 30 mile ride this afternoon. It is the first day of school here. So much traffic and so many people out. I got three calf cramps in the same leg. Add that to a stiff wind, and it has all of the makings of a tough ride--but, it is done.

Whats left: Litchfield Triathalou Olympic on Sept 13.
2015-08-25 1:41 PM

User image

Checking in: Took the last week off to try to deal with what's either a knee issue or a hamstring issue. Feels like my hamstrings right above the knee, both of them, are very tight, with the left one more so and wrapping around the left knee. Basically after ten days of not doing much and NSAIDs I"m not seeing a lot of difference and it's not so extreme that a doctor's indicated (pretty sure they wouldn't find anything wrong...it's either something developing or an imbalance--not a full blown injury yet). Took a short run today and while I definitely felt it during the run, oddly the discomfort went away later when I stretched my quads (hamstring stretches didn't do anything).

So I'm going to try to gradually increase exercise this week and see if it ends up significantly worse, in which case off to the sports doc.

Planned races: Two sprints for September, but it will depend on how things go over the next couple of weeks obviously.

Sounds like everyone else's training is going well...good work!

Sandi

2015-08-25 5:50 PM
in reply to: #5136665

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Big drama here today! On my run this morning a dog followed me home (about 4 miles). I spent most of the day trying to find his owner. Argh!!! Why can't dog owners just put tags on their dogs?!?!?
2015-08-25 6:31 PM

User image

Glad you were there to help out a dog in need, Gretchen! (but yeah, I know....)

Sandi
2015-08-25 10:00 PM
in reply to: #5136855

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow! Great to hear everyone kicking butt in races.

I've been totally slacking since my next race. I can't decide if I should do another or just call it a season.

I tried a Coors Light Penalty beer for my lack of motivation last nigh and I actually enjoyed it- the lack of motivation is strong right now!
2015-08-25 10:00 PM
in reply to: #5136904

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oops last race!
2015-08-26 10:09 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

New user
Madrid
Was it "ice-cold Coors" or waaaarm CLP?

Aiming for a half marathon early November, but enjoying more and more my long rides on the weekends, and swimming "when I can".

I do not have a dog, but two days ago saw 3 abandoned dogs (all with collars) running in the road, guess looking for food (i.e. fresh muscles from cyclists...) and another one almost hit by a car. Glad that most people take good care of them -thanks Gretchen!-, but some owners should take it more seriously.

Juan

2015-08-26 10:11 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid
Not too far from reality Jenn, can tell you've been here before!
Hope you are doing better.
Juan
2015-08-26 12:45 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

I have my Half Iron weekend after next, full Iron in Oct.

Seems like it always slows down toward the end of Aug. Today is my daughters 7th birthday so I got my bike in early then off to swim and meet her for an early dinner. she has soccer practice today and I need to cut the grass at her school.

2015-08-26 12:57 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy Birthday to your daughter, Scott!!

Long swim today, 2800 yds, which is probably the furthest I've gone since the beginning of the summer (makes sense, it is the last big week of my training plan). Tried to go for a ride this morning, but 1.5mi in I realized I needed my jacket--the one I haven't worn since last season--the one that has zippers clogged with salt from sweat--the one that apparently hasn't been washed since last season either (gross!). Anyway, I couldn't get the jacket to zip up, so I couldn't wear it. By the time I gave up on the zippers, it was late and the school buses were out, so I gave up that ghost and came into work early. Plan to go home early and do what will certainly be a very unsatisfactory ride this afternoon. At least it is the short ride for the week.
2015-08-27 2:19 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All!

Happy Thursday! I made it home yesterday and did my ride. It was surprisingly a good one, although slow. I'm not sure why, but it was just a little off pace. Run this morning, during which no random dogs followed me home, and then 2250yd swim this afternoon.

Called the LBS this morning to see how long I'd be without Lightning (my bike) if I took it in for its three month tune up. I'm about a month early on the tune up, but I really can't see any good reason to wait until just after my race to get my bike tuned up. So, it is going in on Saturday and they promised to put it "racer's priority" for me so I can have it back in good time for my Oly. I hope so. Last time it was 10 days for a tune up and I really can't afford to be on a spin bike at the gym for that long. Perhaps I should have kept my old bike!
2015-08-28 3:05 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Madrid
Almost there Scott, keep up the good work! And congrats to your daughter.

Juan

2015-08-28 3:08 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Good point Gretchen! How many of us have 2 bikes at home? Not me, as I have my only bike, a racing bike, and now considering to get a tri-bike but my doubts are: should I keep the racing bike as the tri-bike most people say it is quite uncomfortable for training? Can I do all my training in the tri-bike and get rid of my racing bike? The money issue is another one, as having two bikes at home is not cheap (and probably not the best example for my kids...)

Juan
2015-08-28 3:08 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Good point Gretchen! How many of us have 2 bikes at home? Not me, as I have my only bike, a racing bike, and now considering to get a tri-bike but my doubts are: should I keep the racing bike as the tri-bike most people say it is quite uncomfortable for training? Can I do all my training in the tri-bike and get rid of my racing bike? The money issue is another one, as having two bikes at home is not cheap (and probably not the best example for my kids...)

Juan
2015-08-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

All you need to do is use the scientifically proven formula for bike ownership.

N+1=how many bikes you should own with N=current amount of bikes....

That being said I would absolutely keep road bike. Way more flexible for riding especially in a group. Most group rides do not like riding with someone on tri bike.

Originally posted by Juancho Good point Gretchen! How many of us have 2 bikes at home? Not me, as I have my only bike, a racing bike, and now considering to get a tri-bike but my doubts are: should I keep the racing bike as the tri-bike most people say it is quite uncomfortable for training? Can I do all my training in the tri-bike and get rid of my racing bike? The money issue is another one, as having two bikes at home is not cheap (and probably not the best example for my kids...) Juan

2015-08-28 9:02 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

I would say keep the bike if you can, but I only have one bike. I have done all my training on my tri bike. I dont think it is uncomfortable at all, but I have never been on a road bike so maybe ignorance is bliss. Getting ready to hop on my bike for my 5 hr ride. I am doing it on a trainier which will suck but with all the hills here I want to be able to peddle for the 5 hours without coasting down the hills. Did 5 hours last week outside. Keep up the training!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54112 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.