BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-11-20 10:31 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Got in my 3 miles today. Nit great or even good but in the books.

Mark good luck on the HM.

Jenn Lake George is still on the to do list. Any other good races your way?

Dave- good news I think the mass registration was due to the price increase. I should have the money in 2 weeks so keep your fingers crosses there are openings.

Promotions are Dec 10th and they still have not announced who is being promoted.... WTF My guess is that it will be today or Wednesday nothing like waiting to the last min.

2015-11-20 11:46 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

2015-11-20 2:38 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by b2b14

I'm in for a challenge. I need something, 7 weeks till Dopey and I am not finding my motivation. going to force myself to run this week.

Jenn I need to try some of that heady topper. Nowhere to get it down here.

Well dang it, get up here and do a race and I will provide it!! hahaha! I will definitely bring Switchback too - people need to try that. Their porter should be back out soon too for colder weather (love, love, love the porter. smokey goodness and chocolate milk all in one)

I binge watched Arrow on Netflix from my trainer today (24 degrees outside) and ran yesterday. Tonight I play basketball - don't know if that counts, but my 8 year old and I do baseline ladder sprints and I'm dead by the end. My plan was to also get to the pool today but that will wait until tomorrow as I continued my binge to finish all of season 2 of Arrow. (completely addicted to this show). So I need another bike and 2 swims and maybe 1 or 2 more runs and I'll be happy with this week.

Blowing off a pool workout for TV? I think you're awfully close to owing me some HT. You should make that two runs

Awwwwe, is it blowing it off if I'm on my bike while I'm watching it???
2015-11-20 2:45 PM

User image

, Vermont

Got in my 3 miles today. Nit great or even good but in the books.

Mark good luck on the HM.

Jenn Lake George is still on the to do list. Any other good races your way?

Dave- good news I think the mass registration was due to the price increase. I should have the money in 2 weeks so keep your fingers crosses there are openings.

Promotions are Dec 10th and they still have not announced who is being promoted.... WTF My guess is that it will be today or Wednesday nothing like waiting to the last min.

Yes! What dates are you looking for?
The Vermont Sun Triathlon series is great - does both sprint and Oly distances at Lake Dunmore (had the Oly Nat'l championships here about 4 years ago). The swim is quite clean, not horribly hilly for VT and they offer three dates - one in June, one in July, and one in August though I believe the Oly is only offered in June and August. There is also the Colchester Sprint Tri the weekend of July 24th I believe - fast course. There are also tri in Shelburne, VT in Lake Champlain for the swim. Of course there is Ironman Lake Placid the same weekend as the Colchester Sprint tri. If you really love to swim, there is Aquaman's Revenge with a 3 mile swim, short bike and short run in Lake Willoughby a bit north of me. Montreal also has some tris but I haven't explored those options yet. NH has a timberman HIM I believe - quite hilly as far as I've heard.
2015-11-20 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Yesterday was day off - pulling the trigger on a bathroom and bedroom renovation, had a contractor here and had to go research at stores - very quick decision and choices have to be made and orders complete within a week, so crazy yesterday. Today I just walked in the door from flying all day, had my niece overnight last night and had to get her to school this morning (different school than my kids) and am now waiting for the kids to get off the bus. I am hoping to go steal a quick swim - even just 20 minutes would be good or I'm never going to get 2 swims in by the end of Sunday.
I'm flying tomorrow morning, have soccer at noon and am supposed to fly again after with someone else's student so I'm starting to feel the crunch. Ack! We are also going to get the kids their ski equipment and get our passes printed.... It's decided, I need 2 of me.

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-11-20 2:52 PM
2015-11-20 5:05 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Scott, thanks for the link, been looking for it the last few days but just found a German version.

Juan

2015-11-21 4:31 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi all! Great week around here. I had a monster swim week (for me) with over 13,000yds in the bank. Running was less successful, but It rained and stormed most of the week here. I had break through thoughts this week of setting up my trainer. I haven't been on my bike, or wanted to be in my bike, since my Oly in September, so it feels like a positive step. Up to 371 workouts for the year.
2015-11-21 11:46 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
It's been awhile since my last post. I think I'm somewhere on page 1. If you'll have me back BDAS, I'll be an active, contributing member. I promise to set fitness and life goals, cheer you all on in your goals, and offer whatever lame advice I can. I will not be offering advice on anything fruit beer, though I have found a taste for red wine since we last spoke.

I have exactly 1 week of fitness training under my belt in the last few. NOTHING like getting back off the couch and starting over.
2015-11-22 8:50 AM
in reply to: #5153085

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome back, Kevin!
2015-11-22 5:03 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert

I'm in for a challenge. I need something, 7 weeks till Dopey and I am not finding my motivation. going to force myself to run this week.

Jenn I need to try some of that heady topper. Nowhere to get it down here.

Well dang it, get up here and do a race and I will provide it!! hahaha! I will definitely bring Switchback too - people need to try that. Their porter should be back out soon too for colder weather (love, love, love the porter. smokey goodness and chocolate milk all in one)

I binge watched Arrow on Netflix from my trainer today (24 degrees outside) and ran yesterday. Tonight I play basketball - don't know if that counts, but my 8 year old and I do baseline ladder sprints and I'm dead by the end. My plan was to also get to the pool today but that will wait until tomorrow as I continued my binge to finish all of season 2 of Arrow. (completely addicted to this show). So I need another bike and 2 swims and maybe 1 or 2 more runs and I'll be happy with this week.

Blowing off a pool workout for TV? I think you're awfully close to owing me some HT. You should make that two runs

Awwww, is it blowing it off if I'm on my bike while I'm watching it???

Well that depends.... If a heady topper is involved - I think you need to get outside... but just between you and me - just getting off the bike is all that counts
2015-11-22 5:07 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

It's been awhile since my last post. I think I'm somewhere on page 1. If you'll have me back BDAS, I'll be an active, contributing member. I promise to set fitness and life goals, cheer you all on in your goals, and offer whatever lame advice I can. I will not be offering advice on anything fruit beer, though I have found a taste for red wine since we last spoke.

I have exactly 1 week of fitness training under my belt in the last few. NOTHING like getting back off the couch and starting over.

Ladies and Gentleman - Please welcome back one of the inaugural members of this group (Big DH's group). Sure - he has the pallet of a seven year old and doesn't appreciate the beauty of a good fruit beer, but Kevin is a true bad. With a 3:32 marathon time, we all have a lot to learn.

Welcome back bud! I'm gonna have an IPA in your honor!

PS - He's also a Redskins fan - so have pity!

2015-11-22 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi all! Great week around here. I had a monster swim week (for me) with over 13,000yds in the bank. Running was less successful, but It rained and stormed most of the week here. I had break through thoughts this week of setting up my trainer. I haven't been on my bike, or wanted to be in my bike, since my Oly in September, so it feels like a positive step. Up to 371 workouts for the year.

Gretchen - You are a machine! 2nd Timothy 4:7 - Fight the fight, finish the race, keep the faith! 13,000 yards is incredible and something to be proud of. You know what will be even better - hitting 400 workouts for the year! Just last night John and I were talking about what an amazing accomplishment that will be! You've got this!
2015-11-22 5:15 PM

User image

Expert

Best part - start watching at 47 minutes. The laugh says it all. And its really about being a triathlete! You don't have to go long to be a Bad. You just need to get out there and get it done!
2015-11-22 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
Stoked to say - I got in a 3 mile run with NO CALF PAIN! Heck yea! It's been almost 10 weeks. All that PT is paying off. My shoulder still hurts but I'll take a good run any day.

Watching NASCAR. God, I hope Gordon wins!
2015-11-22 5:27 PM

User image

You state the group is open... I'm hoping you'll take a lowly, drunk Sprint triathlete with lots of potential.

NAME: Bryan

STORY: Started getting active about four years ago now with a local running club. I have completed 6 half marathons slowly. I have yet to break 3 hours. Two years ago I found triathlons for a little variety and have completed two Sprints so far. Had big plans for an Olympic this year, but couldn't get it together to make it happen. Looking to complete my first marathon (Dallas) in a few weeks. My left knee has put up a fight and has be battling a little runner's knee right now to make it more interesting.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for 20 years and have four adopted kiddos ages 13, 13, 12, and 9.

CURRENT TRAINING: In the last few weeks of marathon training for the Dallas marathon. Swimming a couple of times a week as well.

2014 RACES:: St. Patrick's Day Sprint.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: New Years Day and Eve Double. I'm planning on doing a half marathon each day. Wiki Wiki Man Olympic in May. Kerrville HIM in September.

BEER PREFERENCE: Love Stone's Arrogant Bastard and Lakewood's Temptress (a local beer). I am also a home brewer. Vodka has become a favorite over the past couple of years as well. Hard to beat the simplicity of a Moscow Mule using a zero calorie ginger beverage.

WEIGHT LOSS: I lost 15 pounds this year, but have managed to gain most of it back, oddly, during the marathon training. I am a type 1 diabetic so balancing my food and weight loss can be a little challenging.

Looking forward to being a part of the crew.
2015-11-22 6:06 PM

User image

welcome back!

I finally did a good run today. I ran a little over 6 , but found that place where I don't hate it but rather am just doing it. First day since my IM that I didn't feel like a fraud.

Jenn- I am game for any time, but I would prefer to come up in what you consider summer

2015-11-22 7:54 PM

User image

http://www.jems.com/articles/print/volume-40/issue-12/features/beac...

interesting article from the unsung heros of our races
2015-11-22 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Thanks Scott, DQ, Gretchen

Got me a goal in life. April 17 is a 50K that has eluded me for some time. I'd like to train for, and finish that race.

I had a good first week. I got in 8 miles running and 30 minutes of body weight strength training.

I've got 22 weeks til race day. I haven't run heavy since 2012. I'm planning on being pretty agressive with my build the first 4 weeks to get back to some good miles. If I can get a good jump, then I can have more of a traditional 10% weekly build and 10% long run increase. I'm already seeing I need to approach ultra training differently than my typical marathon training.

So excited to be back at it. Someone remind me I said that when it's week 18.

2015-11-23 1:34 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Kevin--50K sounds INTENSE! Good luck! (and I might say that one or two more times before your race in the spring!).

Double workout day for me here (#372 & 373)--ran 3.5 with the pup this morning and did a nice round 2500 yds at the pool at lunch.

Thursday my sister, her family, and I are all doing a 5K turkey trot. This is the first event I participated in after getting into this active life two years ago. My goal that year was to be able to run the whole distance, which I did at a blistering shuffle!! It is fun, low key, and starting to become a family tradition. Anyone else racing this week?
2015-11-23 6:58 PM
in reply to: brrit

User image

Expert
Originally posted by brrit

You state the group is open... I'm hoping you'll take a lowly, drunk Sprint triathlete with lots of potential.

NAME: Bryan

STORY: Started getting active about four years ago now with a local running club. I have completed 6 half marathons slowly. I have yet to break 3 hours. Two years ago I found triathlons for a little variety and have completed two Sprints so far. Had big plans for an Olympic this year, but couldn't get it together to make it happen. Looking to complete my first marathon (Dallas) in a few weeks. My left knee has put up a fight and has be battling a little runner's knee right now to make it more interesting.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for 20 years and have four adopted kiddos ages 13, 13, 12, and 9.

CURRENT TRAINING: In the last few weeks of marathon training for the Dallas marathon. Swimming a couple of times a week as well.

2014 RACES:: St. Patrick's Day Sprint.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: New Years Day and Eve Double. I'm planning on doing a half marathon each day. Wiki Wiki Man Olympic in May. Kerrville HIM in September.

BEER PREFERENCE: Love Stone's Arrogant Bastard and Lakewood's Temptress (a local beer). I am also a home brewer. Vodka has become a favorite over the past couple of years as well. Hard to beat the simplicity of a Moscow Mule using a zero calorie ginger beverage.

WEIGHT LOSS: I lost 15 pounds this year, but have managed to gain most of it back, oddly, during the marathon training. I am a type 1 diabetic so balancing my food and weight loss can be a little challenging.

Looking forward to being a part of the crew.

Bryan - did you say drunk triathlete - you're a perfect fit! Seriously - we are glad to have you!

I hope that runners knee gets better so you can crush your marathon! What are you doing to treat it?
2015-11-23 7:02 PM

User image

Expert

welcome back!

I finally did a good run today. I ran a little over 6 , but found that place where I don't hate it but rather am just doing it. First day since my IM that I didn't feel like a fraud

Jenn- I am game for any time, but I would prefer to come up in what you consider summer

Dude.. Listen very carefully. Once you complete an Ironman. You are never a fraud! Ever. You are, and always will be, and ironman.

Congrats on the great run. I want to get you up here for a race so Jenn can bring us both some heady topper. You haven't lived til you've tried some.

2015-11-23 7:04 PM

User image

Expert

Kevin--50K sounds INTENSE! Good luck! (and I might say that one or two more times before your race in the spring!).

Double workout day for me here (#372 & 373)--ran 3.5 with the pup this morning and did a nice round 2500 yds at the pool at lunch.

Thursday my sister, her family, and I are all doing a 5K turkey trot. This is the first event I participated in after getting into this active life two years ago. My goal that year was to be able to run the whole distance, which I did at a blistering shuffle!! It is fun, low key, and starting to become a family tradition. Anyone else racing this week?

Gretchen - So cool how far you have come! Congrats on coming two closer to #400!
2015-11-23 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
I am totally stoked. I've had by far the best two days in weeks. Yesterday I got in a run walk and today I hurried home from work to do my favorite hill route. 24 miles with the toughest hill in the area. It was great. I love riding in the cold at night. There is something electric about it... until you hit a pot hole. I almost lost my grip on the handle bars but managed to grab the drops just as I was about to bite it... Phew! Way too close.

Vacation starts tonight! Yea Baby!

2015-11-23 7:15 PM
in reply to: #5153125

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave--what kind of light setup do you have on your bike/person to allow you to ride at night? Our winters aren't all that bad here tempwise, but getting home before dark to head out is tricky for me in the winter. Would be useful to gather some info on light setups.
2015-11-23 9:43 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Gretchen - You are a machine! 2nd Timothy 4:7 - Fight the fight, finish the race, keep the faith! 13,000 yards is incredible and something to be proud of. You know what will be even better - hitting 400 workouts for the year! Just last night John and I were talking about what an amazing accomplishment that will be! You've got this!

Wow Gretchen, you're getting close to your goal. I remember when this was just getting started, now it's almost a reality, way to go.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54443 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.