BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-12-24 1:54 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
More thoughts for next year:

Hi All - It will be a matter of days before the BDAS kicks off again. It will be our 5th year and I was proud of all we accomplished during the last 52 weeks. We led the entire BT in posts which means we did an outstanding job of supporting each other.

I want to crush 2016 and as always I want your impute. I'm a guy who lives on structure and I'd like to bring back some things we've done in the past and try some new ideas that have been going through my head. Here are my thoughts I generated while doing my long run today:

Each week - I'd like to have a schedule to keep us on track and motivate people to check back in throughout the year.

Sunday - reflect back on the goals of the week
Monday - set new goals
Wednesday - question of the week
Friday – plans for the weekend/goal check in

Each month, I'd also like there to be a pattern:

Beginning of the month - reward ourselfs for accomplishing the previous month's challenge and launch new challenge
Mid month check in
End of month - check in

Every 3 months, I'd like to have a brag session where people praise their efforts and we praise each others

For challenges -
January weight-loss challenge
February - like challenge with the goal of getting people to check in and like each others workouts
April - Your first race of the year challenge - do what you need to do to prepare
June love handle challenge
The rest of challenges would be decided by group

yearly goal challenge
March July and September challenge versus another mentor group - winner buys beers if they meet at race during 2016

Week of MLK - create another Spotify playlist

Please let me know if you have any other ideas

2015-12-25 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
I hope everyone is having a great Christmas! I took advantage of the 65 degree temps to get outside for 25 miles on the bike. It was awesome and surreal at the same time. How the hell can it be this warm this late in the year?

What is everyone else up to?
2015-12-25 10:09 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
I'm still alive. I'm off on vacation with the family and trying to get in the right frame of mind for the next year. I'm happy with my performance in 2015 since it was aggressive for me. I like the basic plan of "weight loss" challenges early followed by improvement challenges. I've put some weight back on and I think I want to see how I can improve my performances with less weight. I'm done babbling for now, this post was fueled with beer. I'm looking forward to 2016 and I'll see most of you in BDAS 2016.

Dave O (the other Dave)
2015-12-26 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Took advantage of -19(F) to go for a short run yesterday...that is almost as bad as Alex in Florida!

Originally posted by Qua17 I hope everyone is having a great Christmas! I took advantage of the 65 degree temps to get outside for 25 miles on the bike. It was awesome and surreal at the same time. How the hell can it be this warm this late in the year? What is everyone else up to?

2015-12-26 9:36 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Alright - inspired by Dave O - let's have one final brag session of 2016. Here are the rules (ok there aren't any rules but it's hard being a middle school teacher on vacation

You need to brag about the accomplishments of someone else

Then you MUST brag about yourself. What did you do in 2016 that youre really proud of?

Here's mine -

I'm proud of the group for being one of the best on BT. With more than 1500 additional posts than the next group - we did a great job of supporting each other.

I'm proud of the 400 workout woman! Stelar job Gretchen

I'm proud of my efforts while training for REV3 Maine. In many ways I trained hard for it than IMMT and despite coming up 31 minutes short of my goal thanks to Heat Stroke - I never thought about quitting. Boom!
2015-12-26 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Hi All - Need a favor... I think my shoulder pain is caused from stress. Not to spill too much - but I'm an anxious person by nature and I'm worried about my job and getting everything done before school starts in 8 days.

So question - do you guys have any shoulder stretches I could do? The last three mornings I've been up fore 5 because I roll onto my sorest shoulder. It feels like I'm being stabbed with a knife. Anyone know how I can keep from rolling over at night.

Heading to the gym later for aqua jogging....

2015-12-26 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
PS - If you see the new mentor groups go live - please text me on Facebook... I want us to be one of the first groups added... If we miss our window - we have to wait a week before they let us join the other groups.
2015-12-26 3:29 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Qua17

Alright - inspired by Dave O - let's have one final brag session of 2016. Here are the rules (ok there aren't any rules but it's hard being a middle school teacher on vacation

You need to brag about the accomplishments of someone else

Then you MUST brag about yourself. What did you do in 2016 that youre really proud of?

Here's mine -

I'm proud of the group for being one of the best on BT. With more than 1500 additional posts than the next group - we did a great job of supporting each other.

I'm proud of the 400 workout woman! Stelar job Gretchen

I'm proud of my efforts while training for REV3 Maine. In many ways I trained hard for it than IMMT and despite coming up 31 minutes short of my goal thanks to Heat Stroke - I never thought about quitting. Boom!

I haven't bragged about someone else yet, so I need to go with Sandi. Knowing my personality I think I would have fallen into a "whoa-is-me" mode and just sat there and packed on the pounds. The way she continues to fight through her adversity is inspiring. Keep it up! I hope 2016 is a better year.

2015-12-27 12:18 PM
in reply to: #5157939

User image

Expert
Dave O - an outstanding shoutout! How can I say no to a workout when she finds a way to make it happen.

By the way - lets continue the love fest wth a shoutout to you for all The work you did designing the BDAS bike jerseys. I'm wearing mine on the drainer and makes the fancy duds make it all that much better! Would you mind touching base with the company again so we could get an order in maybe sometime mid-January?

How can you not stay in a group if you're willing to drop 50 on a bike jersey!
2015-12-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: #5158001

User image

Expert
Oh and Dave O - might have to give you a CLP unless you write a post bragging about yourself. You've overcome a lot to make good things happen this year.
2015-12-27 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Speaking of avoiding a COP penalty… I'm getting my ride in while watching the Pats game. Secretly I hope the Jets win because it would make Bill be sweat things out next week.

Speaking of football. Congrats to Kevin for his skins making the playoffs (playoffs). It gives me hope that my sucky team can make it next year. Hoping to lose last two games and get first round draft pick. Please pray.

Speaking of praying - please pray for my niece who was involved in a major car accident at the beginning of the week. She's ok and wasn't driving but there are families who are really hurting because of what happened.

Shoulders are still killing me. Any suggestions?

2015-12-28 5:59 AM

User image

Expert
Good Morning BDAS!

Today is a rest day for me but I will be going to my PT to see what he can do about my shoulder. It's still bugging me. While I have a ton of time before my first tri in May, I want to get back into the pool because I missing swimming. I never thought I would say that - but in the 2 months I've been on the IR list - I've been dying to go for a swim.

What are your goals for the week?
2015-12-28 6:01 AM

User image

Expert
Goals:

DQ - Get better about logging my food and eating healthily, doing my PT exercises, and getting the BDAS off to a good start as we begin a new year
2015-12-28 10:49 PM
in reply to: #5158002

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Qua, I'm seeing some groups in the mentor staging area under BT development. My mobile sometimes shows things my computer browser doesn't though.
2015-12-29 9:49 AM
in reply to: #5158153

User image

, Vermont
I just saw the 2016 groups starting to show up as well. Birkie has one up already and I think the Manatee one is too.

Just got in on a redeye yesterday morning from Park City, Utah, busted hump doing laundry, getting dog out of hock, bathing dog, grocery shopping, making lunches and dinner last night, unpacking, etc. Went to bed at 7:55 pm last night and this morning my 8 year old woke me up at 10:15! 14 hours of sleep.....clearly needed it. My 10 year old did the same. Just awesome. Interestingly I feel like I could sleep more! Hahaha
2015-12-29 2:15 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Ahhh!! Here you guys are! I just now managed to find the archives--for some reason you can see them on the mobile app, but I couldn't access them. Anyway--after a long week at the in-laws house, I'm back home. I took the week off between the holidays, so mostly relaxing and sleeping in--not a bad "vacation".

#410 & 411--run with the pup after a slow wake up and then a 2500 yds swim at the pool. That swim put me over my goal distance for 2015!

Shout out to Dave Q for all his hard work running the group!! 2015 has been a great year and BDAS has really shown those other mentor groups up with our activity!

Second shout our to my wife (whom I know will never see this), but she deserves props for all her support through this crazy year. She only muttered "you're crazy" under her breath most of the time and she did all the laundry that triathlon has brought her way. She deserves a medal (especially for that last part, cause tri laundry can be GROSS!!!).

Finally, and man Dave is this a challenge!, shout out to me for achieving my goal of consistency this year. 2015 was the year I just did triathlon--no ifs, ands, or buts about it, I just got up every day and did something to get me one step closer to my goals.

2015-12-29 6:20 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Finished the year with a sub 2:00 half-marathon! Fun course with lots of elevation drop (although not all downhill, there are some climbs as well) makes for a fast race. Here is the race report. Looking forward to next year!

My shout out goes to Scott. It was great to meet him at the Disneyland Star Wars half marathon and he's been an inspiration throughout the year.

For beer, I had the pleasure of trying this year's Great American Beer Festival's gold medal winning Pale Ale, which is brewed at one of my local breweries: Central Coast Brewing. Crisp and clean with a nice fresh hop character that wasn't overpowering.

2015-12-29 9:53 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Hmmm.... I don't see the group on my mobile app. Can you guys send me a link. I think the happened last year.

Keep those brags coming - you have a lot to be proud of!

Last question of the week - favorite beer of 2015?
2015-12-29 10:47 PM
in reply to: #5158188

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
No can do Dave. I'm using the BT app in iOS and that doesn't seem like an option. The user Ron is the one who posted the instructions. You should probably message him directly.
2015-12-30 7:39 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Snewo

No can do Dave. I'm using the BT app in iOS and that doesn't seem like an option. The user Ron is the one who posted the instructions. You should probably message him directly.

Thanks Dave! I PMed him yesterday. If someone figures out a way to get in the waiting queue - please let me know. Here is my bio and a blank bio if you want to fill yours out now and then copy it to the new page.

I'm watching all the Star Wars movies today back to back (except the first one) and then going to see the force awakens tonight. The ultimate sloth day...

The Beer Drinker Appreciation Society's Mission: Beer is a great motivator, and we use it to motivate and hold each other accountable. Work hard - drink whatever you want. Beer, Wine, Booze - it doesn't matter as long as it motivates you. Miss a workout - and you just earned a CLP (Coors Lite Penalty - best served warm This group is for everyone! There is a nice mix of experience here so newbies and vets will find the support they need to accomplish their goals.

NAME: David or DQ

STORY: In 2012, I weighed in at a portly 270 lb and decided enough was enough. I started out with a simple sprint and ended up capping off the year with a HIM. The exercise helped me to lose 95 pounds. More importantly, I feel in love with the sport of Triathlon and it's been a passion ever since. For me - it's all about staying happy and healthy.

FAMILY STATUS: I am blessed to be married to my smokin hot wife (Heidi) and during the last 16 years, we've had three kids 15, 13, and 6.

CURRENT TRAINING: Prone to injury, I’m struggling to overcome a shoulder impingement. While I haven’t been in the pool to swim in more than 2 months, I still run and bike 3x per week.

2015 RACES: It was a busy year. I did more than a half dozen sprints and OLYs and wrapped up the year with Challenge Maine HIM with Charles - a fellow BDAS member (chuckles).

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: My schedule is packed this year as I took my bonus and presents from my students to register for a race each month. In March, I’ll be running a Half Mary with John from the group and will also Bandit Boston in April. The highlight will be Ironman Maryland in October and am asking your now for your support.

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything but my favorite styles are saison, gueuze, Gose, and other tasty sours. Perhaps my favorite beer on the planet is Two Hearted IPA by Bells. I also make beer and just brewed a mint stout that I'm hoping will motivate me heading into the new year. Stop by for a glass.

WEIGHT LOSS: In 2012, I lost 96 pounds to hit 170. Over the past two years, I've put back 40 pounds of it. Hoping to eat a better so I can toe the line at IMMD weighing less than 170.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: To be honest, I would not have been able to accomplish anything without the help of my awesome mentor (thanks DH) and fellow beer-loving mentees. I am so thankful, and I want to repay my debt by helping those who join this group to accomplish their goals. I promise to check the forum everyday and I will do my best to answer your questions and cheer you on throughout the 2016 tri season. As a group, we will use beer to help motivate us to get healthier and happier and to put us in a good position to accomplish our goals and kick a little butt along the way.

Just so you know, two group members, Scott and Alan (both Ironmen who did their first sprint after joining this group), will be helping me support you.

PROST!!!

NAME:

STORY:

FAMILY STATUS:

CURRENT TRAINING:

2015 RACES:

The Plan for 2016:

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE:

WEIGHT LOSS:

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER:

PROST!!!
2015-12-30 7:43 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Ahhh!! Here you guys are! I just now managed to find the archives--for some reason you can see them on the mobile app, but I couldn't access them. Anyway--after a long week at the in-laws house, I'm back home. I took the week off between the holidays, so mostly relaxing and sleeping in--not a bad "vacation".

#410 & 411--run with the pup after a slow wake up and then a 2500 yds swim at the pool. That swim put me over my goal distance for 2015!

Shout out to Dave Q for all his hard work running the group!! 2015 has been a great year and BDAS has really shown those other mentor groups up with our activity!

Second shout our to my wife (whom I know will never see this), but she deserves props for all her support through this crazy year. She only muttered "you're crazy" under her breath most of the time and she did all the laundry that triathlon has brought her way. She deserves a medal (especially for that last part, cause tri laundry can be GROSS!!!).

Finally, and man Dave is this a challenge!, shout out to me for achieving my goal of consistency this year. 2015 was the year I just did triathlon--no ifs, ands, or buts about it, I just got up every day and did something to get me one step closer to my goals.

Nice shout out to yourself... I know bragging about yourself is hard - but you were awesome this year and so inspiring to us all! It was great watching you approach, reach, and surpass 400. To have done it with your crazy travel schedule makes it even more impressive!

2015-12-30 7:46 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Finished the year with a sub 2:00 half-marathon! Fun course with lots of elevation drop (although not all downhill, there are some climbs as well) makes for a fast race. Here is the race report. Looking forward to next year!

My shout out goes to Scott. It was great to meet him at the Disneyland Star Wars half marathon and he's been an inspiration throughout the year.

For beer, I had the pleasure of trying this year's Great American Beer Festival's gold medal winning Pale Ale, which is brewed at one of my local breweries: Central Coast Brewing. Crisp and clean with a nice fresh hop character that wasn't overpowering.

Mark - I dream of doing a sub 2 hour half mary! Such an awesome accomplishment! I agree completely with your shout out to our newest Ironman. He, like you, had an awesome year.

2015-12-30 8:34 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well finally broke down and went on the trainer last night. My wife and I did the first half of Downward Spiral from sufferfest....I just about died.

There is going for a ride and then there is this. Looking forward to finishing this one and trying the other two I purchased, A Very Dark Place and The Long Scream.

Has anyone else done any sufferfest videos?

2015-12-30 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
I record every beer I drink and give it a grade from A+ to F. This year, I tried almost 700 beers. Here are the ones that got a perfect score (about 7% got an A+):

Jacks Abby Sour Red
Jacks Abby Sour Barrel Project #9
Westbrook Brewing Co. Gose
Cascade Brewing Co. Kriek
Paradox Brewing Co. Apricot Sour
Alagash Brewing - Tiara
Alagash Confluence
Alagash - Riverton
Stone Brewing - Sorry Not Sorry IPA
Sierra Nevada Brewing - Hop Hunter IPA
Willoughby Brewing Co. Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter
Portside Brewing - 216
Clown Shoes Brewing - Mango
Clown Shoes - The Ballad of Minnie Quay
Night Shift Brewing - Mainer Weisse
Night Shift Brewing - Harborside
Sierra Nevada - Torpedo Extra IPA
Boulevard Brewing CO. Funky Pumpkin
Bruery Terreux - Beret
Hardywood Park Brewing - Pils
Transmitter Brewing - F4 Brett Farmhouse Ale
Cambridge Brewing Arquebus
Troegs Brewing - Sunshine Pils
Brasserie Diue du Ciel - Blanche du Paradis
Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen - Golden Doesjel
Right Brain - Hefe Cubano
Right Brain - Concrete Dinosaur
The Brew Kettle White Rajah
Brouwerij Huyghe - Van Diest Fruli Strawberry Beer
John Harvards - Cold fusion Coffee Stout
John Harvards - Strawberry Wheat
Avery Brewing Co - Raspberry Sour
Traveler Brewing Co - Grapefruit Shandy
Ballast Brewing Co - Indra Kunindra
Small Town Brewery - Not Your Father's Rootbeer
Southern Tier Brewing Co - Choklat
Crazy Mountain Brewing Co - Lawyers Guns and Money Barleywine
The Lost Abby Brewing Co - Gift of the Maji
Bells Brewing Co - Two Hearted Ale

Thoughts? Let's talk beer people!
2015-12-30 8:56 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Well finally broke down and went on the trainer last night. My wife and I did the first half of Downward Spiral from sufferfest....I just about died.

There is going for a ride and then there is this. Looking forward to finishing this one and trying the other two I purchased, A Very Dark Place and The Long Scream.

Has anyone else done any sufferfest videos?

I have - they are awesome!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54322 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.