BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-22 10:07 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Sorry about being absent guys,

Parenting and looking after a sick spouse has taken its toll on my time. I have gotten two workouts in thus far this week, not sure if I will make 5/5 but I will give it the old college try.

Had a homebrew last night while helping my buddy tear up carpet in his new house, doesn't beer always taste better, during/after some good manual labour!

Where are we at with BDAS shirts/bike jerseys? Is that still happening?

2015-01-22 10:19 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scott- I'd love to hear more about your surgery. My elbows have given me issues since I was in high school and now it seems to be back- I also lost a ton of hand strength and if I don't pay attention occasionally just drop stuff. I keep meaning to get it checked out, but it seems easier for now to just deal with. If I read in bed too long with my elbows bent my hands just go numb.
2015-01-22 10:20 PM
in reply to: #5086230

User image

Extreme Veteran
Justin I totally agree on the manual labor making beer taste better! And I'm in for a shirt as well!
2015-01-23 12:40 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Gretchen the class is Advanced Human Sexuality but I could see the similarities, I am taking the class to fulfill an upper level diversity requirement. Should prove to be a pretty interesting class. The only awkwardness I feel is that the other 150 students in the class are all younger than my own children!
2015-01-23 7:21 AM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Syndiethea

Gretchen the class is Advanced Human Sexuality but I could see the similarities, I am taking the class to fulfill an upper level diversity requirement. Should prove to be a pretty interesting class. The only awkwardness I feel is that the other 150 students in the class are all younger than my own children!

Oh...there is so much opportunity there to make them squirm! Just one or two well placed, slightly veiled comments could do so much! Of course, I'm a twisted b@st@rd, so take it as you will.
2015-01-23 8:33 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida
Scott - positive vibes all goes well with the surgery!

And Justin - more positive vibes for the wife!

Forgot to mention this earlier - I'm definitely in for a BDAS/BT jersey/shirt/whatever.

2015-01-23 2:00 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by justinfss

Originally posted by b2b14

kevin I feel your pain. I was suppose to do 6 today but 3 was all I could muster. Just didn't have it. Not sure if I mentioned it on here or not. I have surgery on my left elbow Monday. I have had no feeling for almost 10 months but my hand has started cramping and I am losing strength in it. Having a nerve decompressed. Doc says I can run and ride my bike on the trainer as soon as I feel up to it, and I can swim once the stiches heal. I may be posting a lot about beer and not so much on my workouts. hahaha long run planed for sunday hopefully I will feel better about it

positive vibes for the sugary and recovery Scott! Those pictures are awesome! that looks like an awesome run, Do they do runs a lot at Disney? I am thinking about a trip down there maybe next year around this time, Daughter will be almost 4, and I think she would get a real kick out of it.

Check out Run Disney for a schedule of runs. They tend to sell out FAST so plan ahead and be ready to register the day it opens. For the longer runs at Disneyland, only the first 10k or so are in/around the parks, the HM route goes out in Anaheim for the rest.

2015-01-23 2:47 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Right on, I think I was thinking Disney World I guess, The Florida one. Anyways, it is a year away for now.

2015-01-23 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Where are we on the weightloss team?!

I missed a week and slowed down a little, but like the Titanic we are still going down, Wooooo!

Jan 1- 256
Jan 8- 250
Jan 15 - Missed
Jan 23 - 246

Lets keep it going!

2015-01-23 3:24 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Oh...there is so much opportunity there to make them squirm! Just one or two well placed, slightly veiled comments could do so much! Of course, I'm a twisted b@st@rd, so take it as you will.

Bwahaha! I'm loving this thread - Gretchen is so on-point. Make them squirm. LOL
2015-01-23 3:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Wow! Great and inspiring posts, everyone!! You keep my motivation up!

So last week I did a ride on the trainer, swam Saturday - knee was doing pretty well until I over-extended it on my last swim lap a couple of times. No biggie until I skied on Sunday. Throbbing knee all night Sunday night and half of Monday. It's calming down though and i went to the PT today. Bursitis has been the issue apparently. No running... On the bright side I can swim...with a leg buoy! That is a serious upper body workout to do all arms. Hahaha. Well, I should have really good technique when all is said and done. I can also ride my trainer still on easy gears - which will certainly keep me in zone 2.
Happily I'm flying tomorrow - should be beautiful out - and then I'm going to hit the pool for some serious upper body workout. LOL

On the beer front, at the surprise 40th we threw for a friend when we all had to dress as rock stars, I had Switchback Porter. I hadn't had that one yet and it was delightful. i had three and enjoyed every one of them; nice and smokey but not overpowering.
I'm back, baby! Well...half of me is anyway...and that's better than none.

Cheers!
Jenn

Jenn, what kind of flying do you do, I work in Air Traffic Services, ever fly into Northern Ontario Canada?

Justin, I used to get up there! I flew charter for a while and flew a lot of fishermen into and out of everywhere from Saskatchewan and Manitoba to the northern reaches of Ontario and Quebec - great walleye eating up there. I then flew commercially all over the world until my second son; stopped the commercial airline and now I teach Instrument Ground School in an aviation program at a local college and flight instruct. I'm hoping to get back to commercial flying but am enjoying having holidays and birthdays off while I can now (and have time to train)! My brother is a controller here in Vermont - we harass each other over the airways on occasion. Today I had a CFI student up - good times.

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-01-23 3:31 PM

2015-01-23 3:36 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
3/10 on my own little challenge to get 10 in from mid-month to end of month. Swam with the old leg "buoy" for 1500 yards in a 300 warm-up and 200 yd sets; I believe my arms and shoulders will feel it tomorrow. My Garmin 920 gave some interesting readouts - not sure if I should call them on it or give it a few more tries. It's even off on reporting the time I start the workout (off by an hour). Weird. But it felt great to get back in the pool!!!

Cheers all!
Have a great weekend!
~ Jenn
2015-01-23 4:30 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by MOlsen

kevin I feel your pain. I was suppose to do 6 today but 3 was all I could muster. Just didn't have it. Not sure if I mentioned it on here or not. I have surgery on my left elbow Monday. I have had no feeling for almost 10 months but my hand has started cramping and I am losing strength in it. Having a nerve decompressed. Doc says I can run and ride my bike on the trainer as soon as I feel up to it, and I can swim once the stiches heal. I may be posting a lot about beer and not so much on my workouts. hahaha long run planed for sunday hopefully I will feel better about it

positive vibes for the sugary and recovery Scott! Those pictures are awesome! that looks like an awesome run, Do they do runs a lot at Disney? I am thinking about a trip down there maybe next year around this time, Daughter will be almost 4, and I think she would get a real kick out of it.

Check out Run Disney for a schedule of runs. They tend to sell out FAST so plan ahead and be ready to register the day it opens. For the longer runs at Disneyland, only the first 10k or so are in/around the parks, the HM route goes out in Anaheim for the rest.

That is cool! I have been talking about bringing my 5yo to Disneyland. Maybe I should do the half marathon (after I get an MMR booster )

Can families visit the park while the race is going on?
2015-01-23 5:59 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Katy, TX
Finally felt good enough to get on the trainer for 45 minutes tonight. Also fixed my privacy settings on the training log after getting called out haha...I didn't even realize that was possible.

Cool seeing aviation folks on here I flew fixed and rotary wing in my previous life.

Now to sample a beverage or two.
2015-01-23 8:46 PM

User image

, Connecticut

4/5 (23/400)--1600 yd swim at lunch I feel really fast because I did the entire main set using swim fins and paddles due to time constraints.

I'm down for the 200 min challenge for next week! Just yesterday I scheduled two "fitness dates" with friends. Instead of going out for lunch, we are going to play racquetball or tennis (depending on the friend). I feel like I'm coming out of my shell in terms of being an "athlete". Instead of hiding the fact that I workout from folks, I'm talking about it. I used to be "afraid" (afraid isn't really the right word, but I'm not sure what is) that people would think I surly couldn't be working out because I'm large. I recently realized I don't really care what people say/think about me working out. Not sure why it too so long to reach this conclusion about working out, it has been my attitude about nearly everything else for ages!

Off to donate blood this afternoon. Hoping my wife will accept that as a good reason to avoid fixing that shelf tonight!

Happy Training Everyone!!

Gretchen, I absolutely love this post. Good for you for telling people about your successes. For revealing a piece of yourself. You are amazing. You inspire me! Not caring about what others think is amazing! I know what you mean, I just started telling people about my hopes to do triathlons this summer, for some reason I was keeping it a secret so I get it. I hope you continue to peel back the layers and let your true self shine! Shine on!
2015-01-23 8:54 PM

User image

, Connecticut

So last week I did a ride on the trainer, swam Saturday - knee was doing pretty well until I over-extended it on my last swim lap a couple of times. No biggie until I skied on Sunday. Throbbing knee all night Sunday night and half of Monday. It's calming down though and i went to the PT today. Bursitis has been the issue apparently. No running... On the bright side I can swim...with a leg buoy! That is a serious upper body workout to do all arms. Hahaha. Well, I should have really good technique when all is said and done. I can also ride my trainer still on easy gears - which will certainly keep me in zone 2.
Happily I'm flying tomorrow - should be beautiful out - and then I'm going to hit the pool for some serious upper body workout. LOL

On the beer front, at the surprise 40th we threw for a friend when we all had to dress as rock stars, I had Switchback Porter. I hadn't had that one yet and it was delightful. i had three and enjoyed every one of them; nice and smokey but not overpowering.

Cheers!
Jenn

I just read an article that using a pull buoy is good teaching for open water swims, so who knew it, you are doing it right! Sorry to hear about your knee. I hope you feel better soon. Give your knee the rest it needs. Treat it injured until it feels better. Be kind to yourself.

2015-01-23 8:56 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

, Connecticut

Good luck on Monday! I hope you have a speedy recovery!
2015-01-23 9:26 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Seeing Colleen and Gretchen's comments about worrying about what others think, I thought I'd share two sayings that I love.

First, my father always said, "Never make fun of someone who is trying to better themselves." This is the first thing I would say to someone who made fun of someone else exercising.

As for the second saying, I'm not sure where this one comes from, but I love it:

"When I was 20, I worried what people thought about me"
"When I was 40, I didn't care what people thought about me."
"When I was 60, I realized that they weren't really ever thinking about me."

Good on ya for doing what you want and being who you want to be regardless of others.

Snewo
2015-01-24 7:05 AM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

New user
Madrid
Scott, hope everything goes well on Monday!!
Also for those with knees that need some rest and sick spouses, you have a lot of merit to find training time! Family

Just back from great long run 14k, 4/5 for the week, hope to make it tomorrow again.
Next weekend HM in Madrid, looking forward to it!!
2015-01-24 9:59 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hi everyone!

I would love to join if there is still space! I was reading through the previous posts and think this group sounds super supportive and positive!

NAME: Nicole

STORY: I have lived in Baltimore for...wow, almost 7 years now I think. Weird. I grew up as an athlete, which included swimming (elementary school) and track and XC (high school and college), along with a lot of team sports. Once I stopped running, I knew I had to find a way to stay in shape, and wanted to 'tri' I kept making excuses though of why I didn't have enough time to train and blah blah blah. Last year I finally decided it was now or never, and I started training for my first sprint tri (I was a middle distance runner who was forced to run XC in college, haha, so not much of a distance person). I competed in 2 sprints last year and am totally hooked!

FAMILY STATUS: I am 30 and single, but have the best cat ever (Raven...not named after the Ravens, although I am a big fan!)

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm getting back into the swing of things, although Disney World last week and Las Vegas this weekend are messing up my routine. I'm trying to build a good base through a weight class, a cycling class and swimming and running at least once a week. I will do more once my vacations are over!

2014 RACES: I competed in the Allatoona (GA) and Baltimore Tris, both sprints.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: I haven't actually planned which ones I will do this year, but I want to do at least 2 sprints. I would commit to more, but I have 4-5 weddings and don't know how many weekends I will actually have open.

BEER PREFERENCE: I do not like hoppy beers, so I am more of a light beer drinker (although I do HATE Coors light). I can usually find a good beer that I enjoy though, and love drinking with good people!

WEIGHT LOSS: I am up a bit higher than I would like to be. I want to drop 15 lbs, but my shorter term goal is 6-7 lbs.

Nicole - As a browns fan, I'm nervous about letting a potential Ravens fan into the group. But - as long as you never use the words Ar_ Mode__ - you're in!

Seriously - we are thrilled to have you! Nothing like triathlons to help you look good for those wedding dresses!
2015-01-24 10:27 AM

User image

Expert

4/5 (23/400)--1600 yd swim at lunch I feel really fast because I did the entire main set using swim fins and paddles due to time constraints.

I'm down for the 200 min challenge for next week! Just yesterday I scheduled two "fitness dates" with friends. Instead of going out for lunch, we are going to play racquetball or tennis (depending on the friend). I feel like I'm coming out of my shell in terms of being an "athlete". Instead of hiding the fact that I workout from folks, I'm talking about it. I used to be "afraid" (afraid isn't really the right word, but I'm not sure what is) that people would think I surly couldn't be working out because I'm large. I recently realized I don't really care what people say/think about me working out. Not sure why it too so long to reach this conclusion about working out, it has been my attitude about nearly everything else for ages!

Off to donate blood this afternoon. Hoping my wife will accept that as a good reason to avoid fixing that shelf tonight!

Happy Training Everyone!!

Gretchen - I think you should tell everyone - it's who you are! Also, telling everyone holds you accountable. The more people you tell, the more people who will cheer you on as you work towards your goal of 400 workouts this year.

Did donating blood help you avoid that project?

2015-01-24 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Cheers!
Jenn

Jenn, what kind of flying do you do, I work in Air Traffic Services, ever fly into Northern Ontario Canada?

Justin, I used to get up there! I flew charter for a while and flew a lot of fishermen into and out of everywhere from Saskatchewan and Manitoba to the northern reaches of Ontario and Quebec - great walleye eating up there. I then flew commercially all over the world until my second son; stopped the commercial airline and now I teach Instrument Ground School in an aviation program at a local college and flight instruct. I'm hoping to get back to commercial flying but am enjoying having holidays and birthdays off while I can now (and have time to train)! My brother is a controller here in Vermont - we harass each other over the airways on occasion. Today I had a CFI student up - good times.

That is awesome that you are still working in the aviation industry, I love flying and am a sailplane instructor with the Canadian Air Cadet Program, but I couldnt imagine doing a flying job now that I have a little one as well. It is nice to be home in my own bed every night.

I bet you have some intersting stories, flying fishing charters, always something I want to try, flying into an air only access lake and putting a line in while sitting on the floats.
2015-01-24 12:01 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Snewo

Seeing Colleen and Gretchen's comments about worrying about what others think, I thought I'd share two sayings that I love.

First, my father always said, "Never make fun of someone who is trying to better themselves." This is the first thing I would say to someone who made fun of someone else exercising.

As for the second saying, I'm not sure where this one comes from, but I love it:

"When I was 20, I worried what people thought about me"
"When I was 40, I didn't care what people thought about me."
"When I was 60, I realized that they weren't really ever thinking about me."

Good on ya for doing what you want and being who you want to be regardless of others.

Snewo

Ha ha I came to the realization decades earlier than 60 but I alway need to remind myself, I am not that interesting for others to think too long about me. Sometimes it a bit conceded to think that others are so focused on me right?
Best quote from the Dr. himself, "Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter." , Dr. Seuss.
2015-01-24 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Black Butte Porter...nuff said!
2015-01-24 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Right?! I probably come across as a sweet old lady in the class with too much to say but oh please don't underestimate me!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54084 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.