BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-25 12:16 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by Snewo

Originally posted by Syndiethea
I measure my swim in the same manner. Knowing that keeps me moving and not resting as much. Trying to be more focused and knowing my planned training will make a big difference. Do you have a plan you are following for your swim? Are you ready for a plan? Good on you for continuing to get your feet wet!

I wasn't sure if you were talking to me or moonrocket, so if you meant me....here's my personal training plan.

Step 1: From now through April 25th continue to do basic bike and swim workouts. Wake up those muscles and make sure that I'm able to do a good distance in each discipline without any issues.
Step 2: Compete in my April 26th Half Marathon beating my personal best.
Step 3: Begin to train for the August 9th Triathlon. This is when I need a training plan. I will modify it though since it makes more sense to me that I should focus on my weak disciplines and just keep my running at the same level I've already attained by the Half.

I will let me body, training, and mentor group help me determine whether I'm going to compete in the Sprint or Oly.
-Snewo

Snewo, I was responding to you, I just expect people to read my mind....anywho, for me, I need a plan or goal otherwise I just do junk laps. But as a hs swimmer you probably always have something in mind before you jump in even if you don't formalize it on a plan. When I was first learning how to swim it was just the basics, then basics with distance as a goal. Now, with lack of motivation the goal is be prepared the day before to just get to the pool and its still basics but with an added building plan.

2015-01-25 1:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
No junk laps: http://swimplan.com/

I love using this site, to create workouts based on my current swimming times. One workout per day, so sign up and get a few workouts printed out and in your gym bag (zip lock baggies).

I have the MP4 Total Immersion video's. If you REALLY want to get a solid efficient swim stroke, TI is the business!!!! Once I get my lungs back, I can swim 10x100 on the 1:50, and feel good. ALL TI. I have no natural talent.

Edited by fifthcircle 2015-01-25 1:12 PM
2015-01-25 2:28 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Kevin, I'm curious about what a stair mill is! Sounds like a great workout with your wife. Do you guys work out together a lot? I love getting out with my husband. Today we had a blast skiing while DD was in ski school.

Not an elliptical stepper, not a stairmaster. A stair mill is a machine that looks like a set of 7 or so stairs in a staircase. You climb stairs. It can be insanely aerobic and painful, or it can be a moderate workout, depending on how you program it. I've had issues with my calf that made running impossible, but I could use the stair mill. This last week, I pulled a muscle in my leg playing hockey which prevented me from running, but I feel like I got a better workout in than my normal run with the stair mill.
google stair mill picture.
2015-01-25 2:48 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Killed it this morning. Not really, but I got out and got it done. Woke up at 6 on Sunday to get out and get 8.25 miles in. I'm almost over this lingering cough. My pulled muscle is way better, and I did not get low blood sugar feeling. Trying to climb back up, but at this point, I'm questioning if I can get up for 50K in mid April. Long effort to date has been 9.5 miles over 3 weeks ago. I'm going to give it all I got to get up there, and If I don't, I may switch to a 25K and find a mid summer marathon to fill in the gap.

Here's my take on swimming. I've completed 1 triathlon. Swimming is what freaked me out the most. I switched from the pull, kick, drill, drill, drill mentality, and went to the TI (total immersion philosophy). with the traditional swim approach, I peaked out at 1:45/100 for a sprint time. With TI, I probably swam at a 1:50-1:55/100 sprint. Only with TI, I was so much more relaxed. So much so, that I was able to pull in a 46:00 swim for my HIM distance tri 1.2 miles. Not bad. But here's the thing. The leaders of the race were swimming at 30 or 35 minutes. I think you can put in a ridiculous amount of effort into improving swim stroke for little gain. Swimming is the one discipline where you get the least gain from overall as it relates to race time, but you almost spend 2x the effort working on stroke or fitness in the water. If your doing a sprint, Olympic, HIM, or IM, just make sure you can cover the distance comfortably without using excess energy on an inefficient stroke. You can put way more training time in to your run, or bike, and use your swim to recover (low impact) your muscles 2-3 times per week. Just my .02
2015-01-25 4:06 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
6/5 for the week. Had a good run today. It was nice to get outside. I snuck this run in between our snow yesterday and our snow tomorrow. I never thought I'd think that running outside in 40 degrees was nice.

5.35 miles
10:21 min/mi pace

I think next week will be LSD ~8 miles. Going to do speed work on Thursday on the treadmill.

-Snewo

I had the workout numbers wrong so I fixed in the edit....

Edited by Snewo 2015-01-25 6:56 PM
2015-01-25 4:20 PM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Syndiethea
Snewo, I was responding to you, I just expect people to read my mind....anywho, for me, I need a plan or goal otherwise I just do junk laps. But as a hs swimmer you probably always have something in mind before you jump in even if you don't formalize it on a plan. When I was first learning how to swim it was just the basics, then basics with distance as a goal. Now, with lack of motivation the goal is be prepared the day before to just get to the pool and its still basics but with an added building plan.

I haven't looked into the Tri training plans, but that is what I plan to do once I kick into training mode for swimming. Until that time my plan was to wake up my swimming muscles. After reading things in here, I'm also going to take mirthfuldragon's advice and make sure my form is still good. Tired swimming leads to bad form so this time is the perfect time for me to work on that.

As for what to expect once I start the Tri training plans, I suspect it's going to be similar to swim team. I'll let the experts who have been through a training regime a few times answer specifically though.

2015-01-25 4:30 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by kevinbe
Here's my take on swimming. I've completed 1 triathlon. Swimming is what freaked me out the most. I switched from the pull, kick, drill, drill, drill mentality, and went to the TI (total immersion philosophy). with the traditional swim approach, I peaked out at 1:45/100 for a sprint time. With TI, I probably swam at a 1:50-1:55/100 sprint. Only with TI, I was so much more relaxed. So much so, that I was able to pull in a 46:00 swim for my HIM distance tri 1.2 miles. Not bad. But here's the thing. The leaders of the race were swimming at 30 or 35 minutes. I think you can put in a ridiculous amount of effort into improving swim stroke for little gain. Swimming is the one discipline where you get the least gain from overall as it relates to race time, but you almost spend 2x the effort working on stroke or fitness in the water. If your doing a sprint, Olympic, HIM, or IM, just make sure you can cover the distance comfortably without using excess energy on an inefficient stroke. You can put way more training time in to your run, or bike, and use your swim to recover (low impact) your muscles 2-3 times per week. Just my .02

I agree with all of this. Except that I just love swimming, and if at any time I don't want to run or bike, and I still need a workout, I'll swim.

As for racing, I think you are spot on. The one cool thing is if you are racing with a friend in the same age group. Rack your bikes together, and when he gets there from the swim, and you are long gone, he will push hard to try and catch you. Then the run comes, and he's blown up his legs. True story :D

-Kurt
2015-01-25 5:05 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kevin, I totally agree with your take on swimming! The swim is such a small part of the race. I am usually near the front out of the water and get crushed in the other events. There is very little correlation between swimming and final results. In fact I race the same swim
Pace pretty much regardless of my fitness. That's just my comfortable pace. But, my bike gets killed if I'm not swimming fit because I start tired.

I wish I was a runner so I got to pass people rather than being passed.

Today I skied.
2015-01-25 5:34 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by justinfss

Who hates moving?!!? whats worse than moving yourself??? helping an unorganized friend move!!!!

Thats where I am at folks, stiff and sore from helping a buddy move in -20 degree celcius before the windchill. I did get a workout in at work so it was a good day for physical activity. I am not at 5/5 this week but If I get some pick-up hockey in tonight Ill be 4/5.

hows everyone elses weekend going?

Haha totally the worst. Plus there's no polite way to say, "I'll help you move stuff in and out of the truck if everything is packed and ready to go." In that cold though it sounds miserable.
2015-01-25 6:48 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
6 workouts for the week. Today was a 5.5 mile tempo run, at my dream marathon pace (10:30). 4 miles at tempo, 1.5 warmup/ cooldown. It went pretty well- hit the tempo for most of it, but there were some icy patches I had to be careful around that slowed me down for part of it. I ran the steepest hill I'll run in my marathon and... it wasn't very steep at all. I'll try to include it in at least a few more tempo runs but I'm feeling positive about the marathon.
Supposed to do my 11-mile long run tomorrow but I'm not sure how that will work. In order to get ready for work in time I'll need to start running by 6:30/ 6:45 but we're getting snow tonight... anywhere from 2-5 inches. If it's the high end of that I don't know if things will be clear enough for me to run tomorrow morning. And I live on a brick street that's one of the last to get plowed so I probably won't be able to drive to the gym... and not sure if I want to run 11 on the treadmill. But maybe we'll only get 2! Or I'll get it in later this week.
2015-01-25 9:06 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Sounds like just about everyone got their 5 workouts in for this week. (I actually did 7/7, and was in need of a rest day)

Nice job folks!

To those that didn't, enjoy that CLP.

200 minutes for the week starts tomorrow. Good luck kids.

I'm looking forward to pushing hard the next couple weeks. My daughters 2nd B-day is Feb 5 with a party on the 7th. So up until that Saturday, I'm going to really try to eat lean and shed some fat. Last night and today were not prime examples of that.... LOL! I feel like I should add in an extra run during the week. Two runs a week is not going to cut it for me. "Run easy, run often" means more than what I've been doing. Just need to fit it in somewhere. Possibly treadmill before swims.

-Kurt

2015-01-26 6:14 AM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Expert
Happy Monday (or as happy as it can be!).

1) Starting today, we are doing Jeff's awesome 200 minute challenge. Remember time spent S/B/R ing sounts but so to does yoga, PT, icing, ETC. Basically - if it gets you to the starting line of your spring race - it counts!

2) Does anyone have any ideas for any future challenges. We need one for the week and we also need one for the month of February. I'd like to propose a weight loss challenge, as I would like to lose 9 pounds in the next 5 weeks. Thoughts?

3) As we get to know each other, please remember to sign your posts with your name. If you want a cheat sheet - you can cut and paste the list of BDAS members from my log into your log.

4) Don't forget the power of the inspire. Go to BDASer's logs and click on the inspire button to cheer them on or to give them a kick in the a$$. Thor is famous for these, and for a guy who thinks Molson is good beer, he has a knack for delivering the right words at the right time.

5) I'd really like to design a BDAS bike shirt and produce it in time for the spring race season. We need someone to design the logo and we also need someone to do the legwork on finding a good place to order the shirts. I'm crazy busy right now, Is there anyone who wants to coordinate this?

6) Finally, we are 4 weeks into the year and our first month is in the books. Today is start the week, and I'm gonna ask you to brag a bit. What is something you have done in the last 4 weeks that you are proud of? Often, we spend more energy focusing on what we did wrong rather than what we did right. Take a moment today to think of something that makes you proud and be willing to shout from the rooftops about it. Better yet, take a page out of Jeff's book and post a picture of the beer you enjoyed to celebrate the accomplishment!

Have a great week!

DQ
2015-01-26 6:18 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
My Brag: At the start of the month, I was struggling to eat right and get my workouts in. My PT/coach challenged me to workout for 21 days straight and to eat better. This morning's swim marked the 21st straight day of working out but I'm hoping to keep the streak going until Wednesday. I'm eating better and have lost 14 pounds since Christmas. Thanks for the support!

DQ
2015-01-26 6:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by Qua17

My Brag: At the start of the month, I was struggling to eat right and get my workouts in. My PT/coach challenged me to workout for 21 days straight and to eat better. This morning's swim marked the 21st straight day of working out but I'm hoping to keep the streak going until Wednesday. I'm eating better and have lost 14 pounds since Christmas. Thanks for the support!

DQ

Welcome back DQ! Glad to hear things are back on track. Time to repeat the stellar year you had in 2014.
2015-01-26 6:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Double post

Edited by Burd 2015-01-26 6:54 AM
2015-01-26 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Moonrocket Kevin, I totally agree with your take on swimming! The swim is such a small part of the race. I am usually near the front out of the water and get crushed in the other events. There is very little correlation between swimming and final results. In fact I race the same swim Pace pretty much regardless of my fitness. That's just my comfortable pace. But, my bike gets killed if I'm not swimming fit because I start tired. I wish I was a runner so I got to pass people rather than being passed. Today I skied.

This is me to a tee! Years in the swim club has made it second nature to me...

2015-01-26 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well finished off last week with seven workouts-check!

weight loss-down 6 lbs in two weeks-233lbs...could be in trouble as it was a bit of a weekend. Went to funeral Friday afternoon...had a few drinks(or more) and quite a bit of grazing after. I would love to get down to 210 by April 29(going to Phoenix with my wife)..23lbs in about 13 weeks.

Have started the week off on the right foot with a run and swim this morning to log 55/200 minutes.(35-run/20-swim)

Going to be very busy the next couple of weeks as I am organizing an outdoor hockey tournament for my son Feb 6/7. Plus I coach him and my daughter's hockey teams. Good thing the gym opens at 5am and the pool at 5:30am.

Dave, I might as well propose my usual monthly challenge....24 workouts for the month of February? I have kept the minimums low so you can just get in the habit of working out. Bricks count as 2(or three if you do all three!) 30 minutes of one does not count as two workouts!

And just for DQ, yoga is allowed...

Minimums:
Swim-15minutes

Run-15 minutes

Bike-15 minutes

2015-01-26 9:51 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

DQ

Congrats Dave that's fantastic!

And congrats everyone else on last week's challenge.

My workout summary - 3/5, unless we count downhill skiing. It's not exactly aerobic. But 6 hours of constant squats and ankle exercises were enough to build the LA levels up and leave my quads and calves sore! Even still that would only put me at 4/5. Illness, rolled ankle, calf strain, blah blah - all adds up to a CLP for me. I'm putting it in my sig until I drink it, to stay accountable for that too.

This week is a new week. New week, new challenge. Tonight before the snow starts I have a consult with a new Dr, then a short bike workout, then an hour of swim class.
2015-01-26 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Moonrocket
Originally posted by MOlsen

Originally posted by justinfss

Originally posted by b2b14

kevin I feel your pain. I was suppose to do 6 today but 3 was all I could muster. Just didn't have it. Not sure if I mentioned it on here or not. I have surgery on my left elbow Monday. I have had no feeling for almost 10 months but my hand has started cramping and I am losing strength in it. Having a nerve decompressed. Doc says I can run and ride my bike on the trainer as soon as I feel up to it, and I can swim once the stiches heal. I may be posting a lot about beer and not so much on my workouts. hahaha long run planed for sunday hopefully I will feel better about it

positive vibes for the sugary and recovery Scott! Those pictures are awesome! that looks like an awesome run, Do they do runs a lot at Disney? I am thinking about a trip down there maybe next year around this time, Daughter will be almost 4, and I think she would get a real kick out of it.

Check out Run Disney for a schedule of runs. They tend to sell out FAST so plan ahead and be ready to register the day it opens. For the longer runs at Disneyland, only the first 10k or so are in/around the parks, the HM route goes out in Anaheim for the rest.

That is cool! I have been talking about bringing my 5yo to Disneyland. Maybe I should do the half marathon (after I get an MMR booster ) Can families visit the park while the race is going on?

The race is early in the morning before the parks open. They did have a "cheer squad" (for an extra fee, of course) for family members to be in a special cheering section in the park, tho IMO I'm not sure it would be worth it.

2015-01-26 11:03 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Catching up a bit here after having the parents down for the weekend. Workouts 25 & 26/400 on Friday (1200 yd swim) and today (2.5mi run). Today's run puts me at 36/200min for the week (yep, I'm that slow). Parental visit was great, but boy did it cut down on workouts--as in none over the weekend. I really missed my trail run yesterday, but since it was raining all day anyway, I wasn't going to get it in. Dad and I installed a new over the stove microwave, which shouldn't be a difficult task, but it was. We ended up taking down all of the molding along the ceiling and rebuilding an entire wall of cabinets. We also rewired the microwave and oven outlet to put it on a separate circuit to hopefully end our problem of tripping the circuit every time I use the microwave. All in all it was a great visit.
2015-01-26 12:28 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

On Sunday I did my longest run to date (16 miles!) and it was a trail run for added difficulty. Granted I use the term "run" loosely here as I walked at least half of it on the steeper inclines and descents. Going from sea level to 1,500ft in just a few miles made for a steep climb. The view at the first peak was incredible, see my race report for a couple pictures.

2015-01-26 1:35 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

On Sunday I did my longest run to date (16 miles!) and it was a trail run for added difficulty. Granted I use the term "run" loosely here as I walked at least half of it on the steeper inclines and descents. Going from sea level to 1,500ft in just a few miles made for a steep climb. The view at the first peak was incredible, see my race report for a couple pictures.

WOW what a cool event!
2015-01-26 2:12 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by firebert

My workout summary - 3/5, unless we count downhill skiing. It's not exactly aerobic. But 6 hours of constant squats and ankle exercises were enough to build the LA levels up and leave my quads and calves sore! Even still that would only put me at 4/5. Illness, rolled ankle, calf strain, blah blah - all adds up to a CLP for me. I'm putting it in my sig until I drink it, to stay accountable for that too.

I'm in the same boat- Missed but Skied Sat and Sunday. I count cross country skiing but don't count alpine- but never knew what was correct. I'd hit 5/5 if I counted both days of Alpine, but I'm a CLP as well for the week.

I did get a good start to this week since it is 75 and sunny right now I got in a good bike. I really wish I could wander out for some more instead of logging back into work.
2015-01-26 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by thor67

Well finished off last week with seven workouts-check!

weight loss-down 6 lbs in two weeks-233lbs...could be in trouble as it was a bit of a weekend. Went to funeral Friday afternoon...had a few drinks(or more) and quite a bit of grazing after. I would love to get down to 210 by April 29(going to Phoenix with my wife)..23lbs in about 13 weeks.

Have started the week off on the right foot with a run and swim this morning to log 55/200 minutes.(35-run/20-swim)

Going to be very busy the next couple of weeks as I am organizing an outdoor hockey tournament for my son Feb 6/7. Plus I coach him and my daughter's hockey teams. Good thing the gym opens at 5am and the pool at 5:30am.

Dave, I might as well propose my usual monthly challenge....24 workouts for the month of February? I have kept the minimums low so you can just get in the habit of working out. Bricks count as 2(or three if you do all three!) 30 minutes of one does not count as two workouts!

And just for DQ, yoga is allowed...

Minimums:
Swim-15minutes

Run-15 minutes

Bike-15 minutes

Nice job on the 7 work outs and the 6 pounds. I just bought a bikini for my trip and figure I need to get rid of about 6 pounds in the next 3 months to want to wear it (sub 130)

I like the 24 workouts- but that's pretty hard in Feb- is it a leap year by chance

I'm in.

Edited by Moonrocket 2015-01-26 2:15 PM
2015-01-26 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Great job!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54448 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.