BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-02-26 10:00 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
An interesting read on rolling and IT bands. I'm working on a weak glute med which is more than likely causing the problem in my knee. Funny I came across this today. You may have to paste this into a new browser to get it to work. It's worth a look-see.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/your-it-band-is-not-the...

Got a quick hour in on the trainer on Tuesday and today I did a 2 mile walk/run followed by a 1500 yard swim. I was supposed to do 2000 yds but did not have the time - had to pick kids up. My log only reflects 1200 as I was doing 3 x 500 and in the last 500 I had to adjust my goggles and forgot to restart my watch. Doh. Kiddos have been on vacation this week and hubby traveling so slim workouts.
I'll jump on a plank challenge for March! I've got one here I'll do. I'm already joining some friends in a squat challenge - build up to do 200 on the last day. Definitely have to do some leg curls on the stability ball to keep those hamstrings even!

Friend over last night and another friend stopped over tonight - we put some serious wine away. Sorry it's not beer, but it was tasty!!

2015-02-26 10:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Shirt Update #2: I visited many sites and this is the closest I've come to what we are looking for. http://udesign.jakroo.com/

They don't specifically mention that we can each order this design to our individual addresses, so I'm emailing them to see if they'll work with us. I love the 3D design tool. Check it out....

One thing we didn't talk about is the cost. This one is $110 if ordered individually....cheaper in greater numbers.

Edited by Snewo 2015-02-26 11:50 PM

(jakroo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
jakroo.jpg (68KB - 5 downloads)
2015-02-26 11:10 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
That looks so cool!! Well done!! Thank you for taking this on - you are clearly the computer master!!
2015-02-27 7:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Snewo Shirt Update #2: I visited many sites and this is the closest I've come to what we are looking for. http://udesign.jakroo.com/They don't specifically mention that we can each order this design to our individual addresses, so I'm emailing them to see if they'll work with us. I love the 3D design tool. Check it out.... One thing we didn't talk about is the cost. This one is $110 if ordered individually....cheaper in greater numbers.

Nice job! here is a couple of sites that may work.

http://www.apogee-sports.com

http://champ-sys.ca/custom/cycling/

Also email me the images and I can see if I can convert into illustrator files. [email protected]

Edited by thor67 2015-02-27 7:42 AM
2015-02-27 8:06 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Snewo

Shirt Update: I looked into pactimo and they needed the images submitted in Adobe Illustrator format and I don't have those magic powers. I've been bouncing around other sites looking for a site that allows me to do custom jerseys AND will allow everyone to order their own right to them. Along with that I need one that lets me do the shirt in the format we want. For instance I found one that worked great but the fonts STUNK (voler.com) so I passed on them. I'm still working on it, I'll let you know when I have something for everyone to look at.

Thanks so much for taking the time to make these shirts happen. I know I speak for the group when I say we are grateful to you for all your help!

DQ

2015-02-27 8:08 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Snewo Shirt Update #2: I visited many sites and this is the closest I've come to what we are looking for. http://udesign.jakroo.com/They don't specifically mention that we can each order this design to our individual addresses, so I'm emailing them to see if they'll work with us. I love the 3D design tool. Check it out.... One thing we didn't talk about is the cost. This one is $110 if ordered individually....cheaper in greater numbers.

Nice job! here is a couple of sites that may work.

http://www.apogee-sports.com

http://champ-sys.ca/custom/cycling/

Also email me the images and I can see if I can convert into illustrator files. [email protected]

Thanks Thor for putting down your Molson and offering to help. You are the man!

2015-02-27 8:12 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Good Morning BDAS! A few questions for you as we head towards the weekend:

What do you all have planned for the weekend?

What's the challenge for the month of March? Would this be something we could do with another group on the forum? It might be fun to kick butt and take names

What's the topic for next week?

What's the challenge for next week? Any ideas?
2015-02-27 9:00 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Love the design!

How about favorite swim sets for a topic? Then I will have fodder for workouts

I'm traveling next week for work so that either means great workout week or bad workout week.

I will try for great!
2015-02-27 9:07 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by Qua17

Good Morning BDAS! A few questions for you as we head towards the weekend:

What do you all have planned for the weekend?

What's the challenge for the month of March? Would this be something we could do with another group on the forum? It might be fun to kick butt and take names

What's the topic for next week?

What's the challenge for next week? Any ideas?

Mornin' Dave!

Weekend - Personal Training, Yoga, Spin, and a run. Plus tons of road bike research. Remember when I said my wife was due for an upgrade on a roadie before me? She's decided that this year is the year. We're looking at Treks because our favorite LBS is now a Trek dealer (along with QR and BMC, but those are cost prohibitive). Leaning towards a regular roadie instead of a TT, mostly because there's probably 5 years or so of Sprints and Olys before any HIM talk. And because she HATES hills and anything slower uphill...

March challenge - We're talking about a plank challenge (which I'm absolutely in for!), but I don't think we can really compete with anyone on that huh?

Topic suggestions - injury prevention is a good one I think. Also, and this doesn't have to be a weekly topic, but I think we should have everyone post bike pics. All the bike bling warms me up on these cold winter days.

Weekly Challenge - I haven't got any ideas for next week, but I've completed this week's! I am committed to a Sprint Triathlon for July 26th - the Hockomock YMCA Lake Pearl Tri in Wrentham, MA. I still want to do at least one Du or Tri before that, but I'm in the process of working with the wife on scheduling - Season Opener Du on Mother's Day, or the Marlboro Lion's Club Sprint a short 3 days after we get back from the Caribbean in May.
2015-02-27 11:32 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy Friday!

Training: easy 1300 yard swim this morning to work out kinks. Learned that I'm faster when I am swimming "slow" than when I'm trying to swim fast. Ugh--need to work on that for sure. I think I'm asking for swim lessons for my birthday.

Weekend Plans: Saturday--season opener indoor tri!! It is also my wife's birthday, so we're going to go out for a BBQ dinner. Sunday--pay bills (it is the 1st!)

Beer: Went out on our regular date night last night and saw an action movie, had burgers and beers. It was a good one, but my beer selections were less than stellar. First was Shiner Cheer Bock (wife asked for something fruity, this was on special for $1/pint, gave it a shot). It wasn't really fruity, more spicy kind of a lemony-anise taste. Second pint was Civil Life American Brown Ale--too bitter on the aftertaste for me. Better luck next time!

2015-02-27 11:43 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

Ok so the challenge for next week is to stay focused on training

Have indoor tri on 3/15

15 minute swim in pool
15 minute spin
15 minute run on 200 meter indoor track

So Saturday morning

300 yard swim warmup followed by this interval training session

10 lap crawl go good, 2 laps breast stoke
9 crawl, 2
8 crawl, 2
7 crawl, 2
6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, with 2 non crawl strokes in between

This swim session followed by a 60 minute spin class

Went out last night for ribs and had two pretty good beers

Brooklyn IPA
Sierra Nevada Torpedo

Both were good

2015-02-27 12:03 PM
in reply to: whichwayisdown

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by whichwayisdown

I'm definitely up for weight loss challenge in March! I feel like February has been a good fitness month (for me, at least!) but I've
had the post-quitting smoking munchies BAD! At night when I used to go outside and light up, I find myself wandering around the kitchen
snacking on everything in sight. It does seem to be getting better though as I continue to abstain, though. I'm hopeful that another
week or two and the antsy-ness will start to go away.

I've still managed to lose 6 lbs since the start of February though, and while I could be doing much better, I'll take any losses in that
department.

Catching up on messages...

Congrats on the weight loss! Maybe during those times when you are antsy, you could just do some strength stuff instead of wandering the kitchen. Do a few push ups, donkey kicks, crunches, etc until the antsiness is gone.
2015-02-27 12:10 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Those shirts look great, Dave!

$110 might be a bit more than I'd like to spend on a shirt, so if we can find something a little cheaper that would be ideal for me. If not, no worries!

2015-02-27 12:16 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I'm definitely in for a plank challenge next month.

I propose a core challenge for next week. Along with everyone's usual workouts, I challenge you to do at least 10 minutes of ab work each day. Your planks would count towards this. You guys may already do this, but just in case, I thought I would throw it out there :-)
2015-02-27 12:53 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by aviatrix802

An interesting read on rolling and IT bands. I'm working on a weak glute med which is more than likely causing the problem in my knee. Funny I came across this today. You may have to paste this into a new browser to get it to work. It's worth a look-see.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/your-it-band-is-not-the...

Jenn - thanks for this! Always known that my abduction/adduction was weak, and that my glutes were as well. Never really knew how to do anything about it though, or what it meant to my running.
2015-02-27 1:59 PM
in reply to: #5096569

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dave I have some friends that are pretty good with Illustrator- I can ask them to try and convert if that would help.

2015-02-27 2:08 PM

User image

Hi! Can I join? I'm a complete beginner. I've done four half marathons and I'm a rower, and a fairly strong swimmer and biker - but I've never trained for a triathlon before or participated in any official swimming or biking events. I need all the help I can get!

Thanks!
Jana
2015-02-27 2:47 PM
in reply to: jeverett724

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by jeverett724 Hi! Can I join? I'm a complete beginner. I've done four half marathons and I'm a rower, and a fairly strong swimmer and biker - but I've never trained for a triathlon before or participated in any official swimming or biking events. I need all the help I can get! Thanks! Jana

If you are a beer drinker, you are in...(unless it is coors light...)

Post your information and join in the conversation/challenges.

2015-02-27 2:57 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just pulled the trigger and signed up for an 8 week (3x/wk) run coaching program starting the end of the month- Yikes. Hopefully they can coach me to like running!

Now I'm heading to the gym to hit the treadmill for the first time in way too long.

Kate
2015-02-27 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by jeverett724

Hi! Can I join? I'm a complete beginner. I've done four half marathons and I'm a rower, and a fairly strong swimmer and biker - but I've never trained for a triathlon before or participated in any official swimming or biking events. I need all the help I can get!

Thanks!
Jana

Multiple HM, rowing, swimming and biking? The only thing stopping you from triathlon glory is an entry fee. Welcome aboard, grab a stool, check out what's on draft, and ask away.
2015-02-27 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jeverett724

Thanks!
Jana

Jana - As you can see from the other greetings - the BDAS is a pretty friendly group. We would love to have you to us - in fact, I've added your name to the chart on my log page - which you can cut and paste into your own log. There are a lot of BDASers and the chart will help you master the names and keep track of everyone.

To help us get to know you better - go to the first page of the forum and copy my bio. Erase all my info and fill in your own and post it to the forum.

Having done all the different sports that make up tri - you will have no really issues becoming a triathlete. But if you have questions or need support - this is a great place to find it. There's a nice mix of people in the group who will be more than happy to help! My only piece of advice is to become a regular member of this group. I've found that being a part of it is a big motivator and we can help you reach your goals!

2015-02-27 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow, lots going on!
I have a half marathon Sunday... I hope. Of course we're getting another snowstorm on Sunday. Here it's only supposed to be 2-4 inches turning to rain, all in the afternoon, but the HM is about 1.5 hrs north, where they're calling for 4-8 inches starting before dawn. Fortunately the start is about 10 min from my brother's house so I can stay there Saturday night. Maybe if it's bad and few people show up, I can place in my age group!
2015-02-27 7:25 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Does anyone have good advice on how to lace running shoes, esp if you're prone to shin splints? Or if know a good link. No videos longer than 1 min, though, please- I have no patience.
2015-02-27 9:12 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by chayes

Does anyone have good advice on how to lace running shoes, esp if you're prone to shin splints? Or if know a good link. No videos longer than 1 min, though, please- I have no patience.

Here are a few different styles...they don't mention shin splints but you may find something you like.

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/

That being said, I always worry about changing something this close to a race. With my luck I'll end up with a killer blister because I made a change.

Good Luck with your race. Be careful if the race goes off and they plow. There will be slick spots. We've had bad luck in this forum so stay safe.

-Dave O.
2015-02-28 7:10 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

My son's new (used)bike set up on trainer. 2012 Louis Garneau axis SLP!

(IMG_1680.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1680.JPG (2016KB - 4 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54087 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.