BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-03-01 8:15 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Nice Job Gretchen, Christina and Jhaines in your races! Christina you are a total crazy in my mind for running in the snow!

DQ- glad you got a good workout in- I don't get the long distance pull- but I can see it in so many. Glad you are finding your mojo!

I picked up some bling doing Nastar ski races with my daughter for fun yesterday. Need to get on the bike now.

I'm in for the plank challenge!

Pardon me for being selfish for a moment.... Thanks everyone for the response - but the thing is - I haven't found my mojo (sorry - I don't mean to correct you Kate - but I'm just so POed) . I got excited today and while that's good, I still haven't discovered anything that will help me sustain the momentum. Prior to the IM, I went almost 14 months and missed about 10 workouts. I would KILL to have that drive back. So, I'm grasping at straws - a few have been longer than others (challenges from friends and battling the elements have gotten me excited but I haven't found whatever it is that I need to find to get me back on track. And I so want to be back on track.

I'm just praying that going long is the ticket... If it's not that, I'll keep faking it until I find it.

2015-03-01 8:29 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Expert
Originally posted by chayes

Personal Worsted my half marathon today by quite a lot. As in, I was planning for 2:10-2:20 and ran it in 2:54. Ugh it hurts to type that. But it was snowy- I think there were 4+ inches on the ground, and it was plowed earlier but still a couple of inches on the ground. The first few miles were OK, sticking to around 10 mm, but then it started getting slushier and packed down/ slippy from the faster runners in front of me. Also hubris bit me in the butt- it was in Youngstown, OH, which I thought was totally flat, and when the flier for the race said "Hilly and challenging course" I was like, sure it is. Well, it was. One of the tougher courses I've done, hill-wise, and I live in Pittsburgh.
Anyways, I learned some things:
* learn to suffer a little more- even if it sucks, pick up the pace. I think when I'm having a bad long run I'll try this.
* wake up earlier, and digest your breakfast before the race, not during it
* run outside! And run hills! (This should get easier- no more dangerously cold temps, and not as much snow/ ice on the ground.)
* I still finished with a smile. I managed not to berate myself too much for having a terrible race. So even if it takes me 6 hrs to finish the Pittsburgh Marathon, I can get out of my head and enjoy it.

Christina - As a Browns fan - I've gotten pretty good about seeing the good in things that appear to be bad

But you have got to cut your self some slack and be proud of what you were able to accomplish. First and foremost - nothing good comes out of Youngstown - ever! 2) If there were four inches on the ground - it would make sense that you would be running 2 minutes + slower than the goal pace. Running in snow is not only slow - but it tires you out making you even slower. 3) When you add in the hills, it's going to make for a challenging day.4) You learned something - and that's what's really important because it will pay off in helping your to achieve your goals. If I told you right now that what you learned today would help you run the best race of your life later this year - would you take me up on it? My guess is that you would. 5) You avoided a Coors Light Penalty which you would have earned for quitting. So, there's that Finally - give your self some credit for getting out there despite the bad weather. Remember Rule #9, which comes from a biking site called Velominati, If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a bad@55. Period.

Congrats on your race. Here's hoping the next one is more to your liking!
2015-03-01 8:41 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

I'm just praying that going long is the ticket... If it's not that, I'll keep faking it until I find it.

Sometimes thats the only way, fake it til you make. Its kind of like when your spouse just annoys you; not for anything they have done but gwad could he BREATH any louder? Maybe I am the only one who has ever felt that way in our 30+ years together. Anyway, he doesn't deserve to have me grumpy with him for no reason so I make some lemonade and give it to him with a smile as if I like him. And then one day bam just like that, I like him again. Just fake it til you make it.
2015-03-01 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a bad@55. Period.

Sounds like I need to give her my B#55 crown...it has been well earned running in the snow on hills! Way to go!
2015-03-01 8:54 PM

User image

I thought I wouldn't be doing any Tris this year because of my bike race schedule but because of the Pan-Am games being held here in Ontario, there's a lull in the race season in July and August so I'm lining up some sprint Tris. My goal is to win a Sprint triathlon (not an AG but an overall win). Since I haven't yet been part of the new iteration of the BDAS group here's my bio, if you'll have me back, of course. :D

NAME: Alan D

STORY: Raced bikes for a little bit when I was 19-20 then shifted to marathon running for a few years. Came to triathlon in 2013 at age 27. Did IMMT in 2014 with DQ (just under 12 hours). Now I'm focusing my energy on racing bikes. National Team in 7 years! ...or something... 

FAMILY STATUS: Wife and two dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: Halfway through my first build period, been training hard since October for my first peak in May at the World amateur Road Race qualifier. 

2014 RACES:: Milton Half Marathon, Forest City Half Marathon, Milton sprint Triathlon, Guelph Lake Olympic Tri, IMMT, Blue Mountain Centurion. 

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: Too many... Ontario Cup Series (Milton Track O-Cup, Good Friday RR, Calabogie RR, Springbank Crit, KW Classic, Niagara Classic, Ciociaro Crit), Amateur World RR Qualifier, Provincial Road Race Championship, Provincial Crit Championship, National Road Championship,  Trisport Canada Bracebridge Sprint Triathlon. 

BEER PREFERENCE: IPA all the way. 

WEIGHT LOSS: Started IM training last year at 185. Now down to 165 with 5 more to go before racing starts. 

2015-03-01 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Qua17

Hey BDAS - let's talk some business.

Goals If you have sometime today or tomorrow - please post your goals for the month. Doing so will help you focus on what's important to you and will let us hold your accountable and cheer you on in the process.

This weeks goal: Log my meals on My Fitness Pal; Inspire two of our members.

2015-03-01 9:18 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Personal Worsted my half marathon today by quite a lot. As in, I was planning for 2:10-2:20 and ran it in 2:54. Ugh it hurts to type that. But it was snowy- I think there were 4+ inches on the ground, and it was plowed earlier but still a couple of inches on the ground. The first few miles were OK, sticking to around 10 mm, but then it started getting slushier and packed down/ slippy from the faster runners in front of me. Also hubris bit me in the butt- it was in Youngstown, OH, which I thought was totally flat, and when the flier for the race said "Hilly and challenging course" I was like, sure it is. Well, it was. One of the tougher courses I've done, hill-wise, and I live in Pittsburgh.
* learn to suffer a little more- even if it sucks, pick up the pace. I think when I'm having a bad long run I'll try this.
* run outside! And run hills! (This should get easier- no more dangerously cold temps, and not as much snow/ ice on the ground.)
* I still finished with a smile. I managed not to berate myself too much for having a terrible race. So even if it takes me 6 hrs to finish the Pittsburgh Marathon, I can get out of my head and enjoy it.

Great photo. Judging by the smile it looks like you had a great time no matter what a clock said.
2015-03-01 9:20 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Monday morning will be the start of my kick myself in the pants again to drop the extra few pounds. Over the last few months I have picked up 11 extra pounds and I feel it. My clothes still fit the same so not sure what to think about that. Back on the 2 pounds a week train to get as much off as I can before my HIM in April.
2015-03-01 10:16 PM
in reply to: #5097152

User image

, Vermont
Alan!!! You're back!! I've been following you on Strava and your workouts are amazing!! Plus you're just in time for finalizing the BDAS shirt we talked about last summer!

Took today as a "rest day" again and skied all day...did my plank challenge and my squat challenge. Tomorrow morning - back in the pool, administer a mid-term exam to my college class then back to the gym for walk/run/elliptical. Knee to be assessed next Friday but PT later this week.
Challenges this week: be consistent with a workout each day and get a couple of inspires done! Oh, biggest challenge - do my PT EVERY DAY!!!
2015-03-01 11:27 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
I checked in with the Jakroo team again tonight. They said that they can put together a team storefront for us. I'm not sure if I'll need to make each item individually that will be put up on the storefront or whether they will take our artwork and make bunches of options. I'll follow up with them on that tomorrow. Until then, I figured I should give you a little taste of what else we might be able to get. Some of you expressed interest in a tri suit instead of a cycling jersey. Here you go...

(jakroo2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
jakroo2.jpg (58KB - 4 downloads)
2015-03-01 11:29 PM
in reply to: #5097182

User image

Arlington, Virginia
My goals for March are the following:
Get a solid 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
Continue on the no-nicotine train.
Run intervals 2-3 days a week. (Unlike many folks here, the run is the weakest of the three for me and I'm fighting a lot of fear about it.)
Lose 8-10 lbs.
Plank challenge every day!

2015-03-02 5:29 AM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

So I've been slacking a bit the last couple of weeks with work/family/rugby/birthday commitments, but now is the time to get back on track. I've completed my birthday pizza and beer binge (and the accompanying weight gain), and with the start of a new month it seems like a perfect time to reset the MFP plan and buckle down. I have been keeping up with my workouts, mostly, and concentrating on running since it is by far my worst event.

Goals for the month: Eat only what I plan- no grazing on crap. Any weight loss that comes of this (and there had better be a fair amount) comes as a bonus. Also to complete all of my planned workouts. They may not happen on the exact day they are planned, but definitely at some point during each week.

Planned events for the year:

3/7 Frostbite TT
3/21 CSU Road Race
5/23 Iron Horse Classic (50 mile ride racing a steam train)
5/30 XTerra Lory
6/13 Spartan Beast in Breckenridge (maybe)
6/19 Triathlon Friday Sprint
6/27 Loveland Lake to Lake (Sprint or Oly- haven't decided yet) or 40 in the Fort (MTB race with 9K feet of climbing)
7/18 Tour de Steamboat Century
7/19 Steamboat Lake Sprint tri
8/1 Copper Triangle (70+ mile ride with an obscene amount of climbing)
8/29 Boulder Sunset Sprint
9/5 Black Squirrel HM (depending on training)
9/27 Oktoberfest Sprint (Duh)
9/? Cross of the North cyclocross
Plus I do bike races every Tuesday from mid- April til late October
10/1 Add up all the entry fees and have a massive heart attack (or get shot by the wife)
2015-03-02 6:30 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

I thought I wouldn't be doing any Tris this year because of my bike race schedule but because of the Pan-Am games being held here in Ontario, there's a lull in the race season in July and August so I'm lining up some sprint Tris. My goal is to win a Sprint triathlon (not an AG but an overall win). Since I haven't yet been part of the new iteration of the BDAS group here's my bio, if you'll have me back, of course. :D

NAME: Alan D

STORY: Raced bikes for a little bit when I was 19-20 then shifted to marathon running for a few years. Came to triathlon in 2013 at age 27. Did IMMT in 2014 with DQ (just under 12 hours). Now I'm focusing my energy on racing bikes. National Team in 7 years! ...or something... 

FAMILY STATUS: Wife and two dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: Halfway through my first build period, been training hard since October for my first peak in May at the World amateur Road Race qualifier. 

2014 RACES:: Milton Half Marathon, Forest City Half Marathon, Milton sprint Triathlon, Guelph Lake Olympic Tri, IMMT, Blue Mountain Centurion. 

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: Too many... Ontario Cup Series (Milton Track O-Cup, Good Friday RR, Calabogie RR, Springbank Crit, KW Classic, Niagara Classic, Ciociaro Crit), Amateur World RR Qualifier, Provincial Road Race Championship, Provincial Crit Championship, National Road Championship,  Trisport Canada Bracebridge Sprint Triathlon. 

BEER PREFERENCE: IPA all the way. 

WEIGHT LOSS: Started IM training last year at 185. Now down to 165 with 5 more to go before racing starts. 

Hell yes - Alan's back! So thrilled to see it. The BDAS just got a little better!
2015-03-02 6:55 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hey All

I had my indoor tri this morning (10 min swim, 20 min bike, 15 min run). It was great. I won my age group!!!! Never thought that would happen, and I owe you all a big thank you for your support. It has really helped me with my consistency over the last couple of months. I wrote a race report (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=529633). I met my swim goal, beat my bike goal by almost 3 "miles" and just missed my run goal (0.09 miles short). I'm okay with missing that goal though, because I ran the fastest I've ever run today.

Afterwards I did another bike and another run workout, just because I had about 90 minutes to burn before the awards ceremony.

It's awesome that you won your age group. It's even more awesome that you could be all "It was such a short race that I did another workout afterwards."
2015-03-02 7:01 AM
in reply to: whichwayisdown

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by whichwayisdown

My goals for March are the following:
Get a solid 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
Continue on the no-nicotine train.
Run intervals 2-3 days a week. (Unlike many folks here, the run is the weakest of the three for me and I'm fighting a lot of fear about it.)
Lose 8-10 lbs.
Plank challenge every day!

Those are great goals. I'm also trying to sleep better- I think getting enough sleep will make everything else (nicotine, eating) easier.
How much experience do you have as a runner? Actually no matter how much intervals are something to be really careful with. I always feel frickin' amazing while I'm doing intervals and right after, feel no pain at all and the closest to a runner's high I get, but they often leave me too sore or tired to complete other run workouts. Easy to get injured.
2015-03-02 7:05 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Burd

Great photo. Judging by the smile it looks like you had a great time no matter what a clock said.

It was a good experience- or at least it's good that I experienced it, if that makes sense. My brother took that photo, very close to the finish line, and I was like "Please don't take a picture of the clock." Haha.

2015-03-02 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Pardon me for being selfish for a moment.... Thanks everyone for the response - but the thing is - I haven't found my mojo (sorry - I don't mean to correct you Kate - but I'm just so POed) . I got excited today and while that's good, I still haven't discovered anything that will help me sustain the momentum. Prior to the IM, I went almost 14 months and missed about 10 workouts. I would KILL to have that drive back. So, I'm grasping at straws - a few have been longer than others (challenges from friends and battling the elements have gotten me excited but I haven't found whatever it is that I need to find to get me back on track. And I so want to be back on track.

I hear you, though. Hope you find it.
I don't know if this helps, but the times I've been really excited about/ committed to a training plan have been when I'm doing something brand-new that I'm genuinely worried I won't be able to do (first sprint, a double century, now a marathon) or I'm training to be competitive.
Aside from the marathon, I don't have much external motivation to train hard- I know I'll finish, and if it's a small tri I might place in my AG but it totally depends on who shows up. I'm training now because I genuinely enjoy the 3 sports, but I haven't recently found motivation to follow a training program and really push myself. I guess I'm OK with that, though.
2015-03-02 7:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Christina - As a Browns fan - I've gotten pretty good about seeing the good in things that appear to be bad

But you have got to cut your self some slack and be proud of what you were able to accomplish. First and foremost - nothing good comes out of Youngstown - ever! 2) If there were four inches on the ground - it would make sense that you would be running 2 minutes + slower than the goal pace. Running in snow is not only slow - but it tires you out making you even slower. 3) When you add in the hills, it's going to make for a challenging day.4) You learned something - and that's what's really important because it will pay off in helping your to achieve your goals. If I told you right now that what you learned today would help you run the best race of your life later this year - would you take me up on it? My guess is that you would. 5) You avoided a Coors Light Penalty which you would have earned for quitting. So, there's that Finally - give your self some credit for getting out there despite the bad weather. Remember Rule #9, which comes from a biking site called Velominati, If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a bad@55. Period.

Haha, thanks. I was actually thinking about a CLP when I saw my brother and his wife... next to their car... at mile 10.
And you're right, I learned a lot that will apply to future races (esp the marathon). It could be 50* and pouring rain, or 90* and humid, on race day, so my experience running through terrible conditions might help me.
2015-03-02 8:59 AM
in reply to: whichwayisdown

User image

DeLand, Florida
Catching up from the weekend. First things first - CONGRATULATIONS Jeremy and Gretchen! A PR Half and an AG win!!!!! Awesome weekend news!
2015-03-02 9:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida

Ain't nothin wrong with that! Throw the stopwatch out the window. Time is irrelevant in those conditions! You did it, finished it, and survived the experience. Bad @55 indeed!!!!

Edited by firebert 2015-03-02 9:32 AM
2015-03-02 9:50 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Moonrocket

Nice Job Gretchen, Christina and Jhaines in your races! Christina you are a total crazy in my mind for running in the snow!

DQ- glad you got a good workout in- I don't get the long distance pull- but I can see it in so many. Glad you are finding your mojo!

I picked up some bling doing Nastar ski races with my daughter for fun yesterday. Need to get on the bike now.

I'm in for the plank challenge!

Dave, I got really excited when catching up that you found the mojo. Then a little sad when I saw this but honestly, you're correct. If mojo was that easy to find, you wouldn't have lost it. I think this may be the ticket though, I remember in the middle of our thread somewhere your glimmer of excitement at the Kona legacy qualification.

2015-03-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida
Goals

Day
- sign up for MyFitnessPal (other firebert be damned) and get to the getting. The weight loss challenge from Feb was a downer since I ramped up my training pretty significantly, was starting to lose a little weight, then put it back on and more only to cycle back to where I started.

Week - Two things. One, being more proactive about injury prevention. I only did two bike workouts last week, no runs, and my right calf is hurting along with my left IT. Two - keeping up my training while vacationing. We're off for a 6 day weekend to escape the snow, we have little planned and the hotel has a small gym and a large outdoor heated pool. I can S, B, and R. Oh and it's supposed to be in the 70s the whole trip so NO EXCUSES for not running outdoors!!

Month - Definitely doing the 30 day plank challenge. What's the squat challenge? Somehow I missed that one. I'm also doing the weight loss challenge again this month, after the disappointment last month.

Also - welcome all new members! Quite a few days there, lots of new names/usernames to figure out. For anyone looking with some help there, Dave (as mentioned) has a complete list of everyone in the group. If you go to his training log you can highlight and copy it, then go to your own and there's an 'edit dashboard' button, you just paste it and there it is. Pretty cool.

Off to inspire!
2015-03-02 10:51 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Christina- that sounds like a PR not a Personal worst. In the snow all I can say is wow

Alan - welcome back. glad to have you

Dave - I think picking a race may help if going long is what you need. I can send you some homebrew for motivation

Dave O - Jersy looks great

I am up for a weight loss challenge. I am actually losing weight for once. I am watching what I eat and logging it into myfitness pal, and it works who knew

I got up early and rode my bike for the first time today.
2015-03-02 11:33 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

I'd like in!

Name: Missie

Family: Husband Greg - he's a 3x 70.3'r. Grace, 3, Noah, 4months (micropreemie who just came home from the NICU)

Training: Training for my first IronGirl in August. Struggling to find time to train with the kids (Noah is special needs) and a husband with 'bigger' races than me.

2014 races: A bunch of 5k's but that's it.

2015 races: A few 5k's and IronGirl.

Beer: I'm a martini girl or Malibu and Coke with a lime.

Weight loss: Yes please. 2 babies in 3 years.

I am brand new to this and want to stop being that mom who looks like she stopped caring. And I want to kick my husband's butt in a race one day.
2015-03-02 11:36 AM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Those tri tops look great!

Jeremy, Gretchen and Christina (sorry if I missed anyone else who raced!), nice work!!! Christina, you definitely can't beat yourself up about that time. I hate the snow. I'm pretty sure I just would've stayed home in my nice warm bed with a not so nice CLP.

I started my plank challenge this morning (and will do day 2 this evening to catch up). I am also going to be doing another weight loss challenge...mine has gone up quite a bit in the last month. It's supposed to begin warming up this week, so hopefully all this ice melts and I can get outside for some runs. I might do one today after work if the ice has melted off the sidewalks enough.

I found 2 triathlons I am going to do. Both are relatively close to Baltimore. One is the General Smallwood Sprint (6/14/15) and the other is the Colonial Beach Sprint (7/11/15). I might also try to do my first Oly sometime in September, but that will depend on all the wedding stuff, for which I'm still trying to figure out dates.

DQ, you will get that mojo back! I agree with the fake it til you make it method!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54076 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.