BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-03-25 9:41 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business

Originally posted by Snewo Check-in: Workout 3 for the week. 1600 in the pool. My normal day off ended up getting cancelled since my buddies bailed on me today. My daughter then drug me to the YMCA for a workout, not that I wouldn't have gone anyway... So 15 minutes into my workout the "Conditioning Class" started with a bunch of triathletes. See what I'm missing on my Wednesday day off? Other than watching, I also talked to the coach and found out that their exercise plans are laminated in a book available to everyone. Score! Even though I was into my workout, I was watching to see how I would have done compared to those folks. Sometimes you want a benchmark. I would have been just fine. Not the fastest but I would have held my own. Good to know.... Weight Loss I've lost a decent amount of weight in the past, though I'm doing it way more intelligently this time. I have identified two benchmarks for me that I thought others might find interesting. - Lose 15 pounds and people will start to comment about how you'll looking thinner. Specifically in the face. - Lose ANOTHER 15 pounds and then some people take you aside and ask if you're healthy and doing ok. 2 people were worried I had cancer the last time I lost weight. I'm not sure what it is with the 15 pound increments and my body, but I'm looking forward to telling them "Nope, I've been training for a triathlon since January" when the cancer discussions come again. That's a much better answer anyway.

It seems weird to me that people would jump to cancer when you lose weight. You'll get none of that here. Good luck with your next round of weight loss. MFP has been a huge help for me losing the last few pounds I need to get shed. I owe that to all of you getting on board with it first. 

2015-03-26 6:39 AM
in reply to: whichwayisdown

User image

Expert
Originally posted by whichwayisdown

Bad news: I've been benched for 2-3 months by my podiatrist due to reoccurring plantar faciitis and new nerve damage from pushing myself too hard and not listening to my body. Started oral prednisone today for inflammation, and fingers crossed I can avoid the cortisone shots. Back to 5x daily stretches and aqua jogging in the pool!

My new plan is 6-7 days a week of swimming/aqua jogging, yoga, and spinning for two months, and then get re-evaluated and hopefully start incorporating short runs back in. Found a tri in DC in September, so I'm staying focused on that as well as getting my swim times faster for Master's.

Fingers crossed I can be patient and kick it this time.

Mel - That totally blows and I'm so sorry. Having struggled with PF for most of my life - I can litterally feel your pain. I can also tell you that if you do the PT and follow the docs advice - you can beat plantar fasciitis. Last year - I put in the time stretching and building up the muscles in my feet and my legs and ran pain free while training almost 20 hours per week. So - getting to the finish line of that sprint is something you CAN TOTALLY DO!

Keep posting about your progress and we will support you along the way!
2015-03-26 6:44 AM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Expert
Originally posted by chayes

Question of the day: Who worries about cadence when running? Pros/ Cons?
I had never thought about it, but have randomly read a few things that made me start to think about it. On my tempo run Sunday I counted steps and got up to like 85 if I concentrated- I nailed the paces but was trashed for my long run the next day and cut it short. But I don't know if that was a function of higher cadence trashing me, having slept poorly the night before, or some other factor.
Today on my random mid-week run I started counting and found I naturally sped way up. My heart rate sped up too but my legs didn't hurt as bad. I alternated one minute high cadence with one minute "normal" running to keep my heart rate in check, somewhat.
Is this something I should keep practicing? Marathon is ~ 6 weeks away, obviously I don't want to injure myself but if I can have a faster or more enjoyable marathon, obviously I want that.

Christina - For me - cadence is all about avoiding injury. One of my biggest challenges in the past has been injury and part of my issue is the length of my stride. Last year, I worked hard to shorten my stride and increase my cadence to close to 100 steps per minute (up from 80). It made the word of difference in how my legs and feet felt (Mel - shortening my stride was one thing that helped me beat PF - it will help you too!).

I can' really explain it - but the body will naturally adjust to the higher cadence. You are asking it to run in a new way and that stresses your muscles out. Once they get with the program - it will get better.
2015-03-26 6:46 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Mojo update :

A good ride yesterday - there were times when I was hitting 17 mph on the flats. Felt happy on the bike - which is a relatively new thing.

Pool and aqua jogging today... Spent 60 minutes in the pool. I've worked back up to a respectable 1000 yards and 30 minutes of aqua jogging.

Off to teach!
2015-03-26 8:25 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mel, so sorry to hear about your foot! The positive attitude and September goal will definitely get you through it, though!

2015-03-26 8:52 AM
in reply to: #5103572

User image

DeLand, Florida
Dave O - big congrats on the weight loss!!!

Dave Q - congrats on the mojo! Keep at it!!!

Cadence - been working toward this myself for a while. Mostly the stride shortening part, as opposed to the counting (which I really need to do...). It does take some getting used to. Your body tells you that you're working harder to go the same speed so it seems counterintuitive that you do actually want to do it. And I'm a stubborn bastard so it takes me a while to adapt to something new

2015-03-26 2:45 PM

User image

Arlington, Virginia

So sorry to hear it. You have such a great attitude.

Are you already going to Masters Swim? It's such a great workout. I wish I could fit it into my schedule. I think you'll gain a lot of fitness if you can go regularly.

Thanks y'all!! I'm not currently fast enough consistently for Masters, the slow lanes at my local club swim a consistent 1:50-2:00 minute 100yd swim, and while my sprint falls in that range, my moderate swim is closer to 2:30. I'm trying to integrate distance and speed workouts into my current focus on pull drills.
2015-03-26 3:03 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Arlington, Virginia
Thank you so much for the support, you guys keep me up when I feel like I've hit a stumbling block.

I did look into aquabike, and it looks like there's a a few I can do in the coming months.

I really appreciate the suggestions and support, y'all have been such a helpful resource in the last two months!
2015-03-26 3:05 PM
in reply to: whichwayisdown

User image

Originally posted by whichwayisdown Thank you so much for the support, you guys keep me up when I feel like I've hit a stumbling block. I did look into aquabike, and it looks like there's a a few I can do in the coming months. I really appreciate the suggestions and support, y'all have been such a helpful resource in the last two months!

Hopefully you'll be back into things again. Injuries are part of life when you take up athletic pursuits. Persevere. 

2015-03-26 3:07 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Has anyone ever tried T-max intervals for bike training? I recently read the study by the guy that developed them. Apparently they're insanely hard but the performance gains are incredible. I'm going to try the test this afternoon and see how it goes.  Here's an article I found about the intervals and the study:

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/ultimate-interval

2015-03-26 3:11 PM
in reply to: #5103665

User image

, Vermont
Alan, I'll ask my PT about it (he races) to see if he's had any experience with it.

2015-03-26 4:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Check in:

I did a little more reading about those T-max intervals. Not entirely sure they're any different than VO2 intervals so I'm holding off until I get some more info about their usefulness. I instead decided to try some tabata intervals which I've heard a lot about and know some folks who use them. They're tough but fun. 50seconds of 125% FTP and 50second rest repeated 8 times. I did two sets and then ran out of time. We have some people coming to look at our house tonight (selling). 

Other than that, training is going well. I have my first Ontario Cup race on Saturday. It's a track elimination race (every 2 laps the last rider across the line gets eliminated). I don't expect much because I'll be riding up against some of the best in the province (and elsewhere) but it'll be fun. I'll finally get to ride the new track built for the Pan Am games this summer. I checked it out last weekend and it's amazing. 

Next weekend I have my first road Ontario Cup race. The track race is more for fun than anything. The road and crit series is where I'm putting all my eggs this summer so I'm hoping to do well. I drove around the course last week with the go pro and have been memorizing every detail of the course and planning my strategy. I even keep a notebook where I've recorded how the race was won in previous years, where the sheltered sections are, where the hills are, etc. Strong. Smart. Prepared. Those are my three principles for racing. Strong on the bike; shrewd and smart tactically during the race; prepared for the race by knowing everything I can about the course, who's racing and anything else that is knowable and potentially valuable/useful.  

Edited by adempsey10 2015-03-26 4:42 PM
2015-03-26 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Also, I ran in warm (60*) sunshine today. Oh my goodness. It was so pleasant! I know the 10-day forecast is mostly 30s and 40s. I cannot WAIT to have warm weather to train in!

In contrast, my 4 mile run at lunch today turned into a suffer fest with temps in the high 80's and no wind. Sadly the west coast has skipped winter and spring and is heading right back into summer.

2015-03-26 5:08 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by MOlsen

Also, I ran in warm (60*) sunshine today. Oh my goodness. It was so pleasant! I know the 10-day forecast is mostly 30s and 40s. I cannot WAIT to have warm weather to train in!

In contrast, my 4 mile run at lunch today turned into a suffer fest with temps in the high 80's and no wind. Sadly the west coast has skipped winter and spring and is heading right back into summer.

geez different expectations...I was happy running in the rain at 39 at lunch...  

2015-03-26 5:44 PM

User image

:-) I know you all have been deluged by snow...but I'm so weird. I so prefer to run in 40 degree weather over 60....

(ducking)

Sandi
2015-03-26 5:59 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Checking in....

Dave, I am going to order a shirt...definitely a tri top but probably both. Just need to figure out the size.

So, I'm back in the swing of things this week. I've done something each day, either a run or bike. Biked to & from work yesterday and enjoyed it greatly. However, I'm fortunate to have trails....I did discover on the two blocks I have to ride on the road that it's just simply, terrifying. The complete lack of peripheral vision makes it IMO just too dangerous to do. I'd thought/hoped that a side mirror of sorts would solve that problem, but at least with this bike, there's just no way I could even use one without turning my head so significantly as to be dangerous. So I'm resigned at least for now to sticking with bike trails. Traffic during races is minimal enough that I think I can handle the events, but definitely not daily training. Tomorrow I am going to bike with a friend who is a big cyclist and also experienced vision loss a few years ago, which I'm hoping will be a huge help in boosting confidence.

I started PT today too....the good news is that I'm still in pretty good shape, despite what the scale and my clothing is telling me. We're going to actively work on balance, and she wants me seriously pushing myself in safe situations so that I'm in peak physical condition and the only thing I need to concern myself with during outdoor training and races is my surroundings. I guess I have to look into spinning classes (yuck).

It's a beautiful day and the beer garden is calling. I'm going to make myself exercise to earn it though. :-)

S.

2015-03-26 6:58 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by MOlsen

I can't tell you how sorry I feel for you.
2015-03-26 8:48 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in: Workout 4 for the week. No brick today, just finishing the taper before Saturday.

Sandi - I haven't mentioned this yet, but I have a comfort level problem cycling too. I'm a newbie to anything other than rail trails and my own street. The roads around me are just too crazy. I've scoped out a few paved bike trails that I'm going to try once I start training out in the wild. The road that my August Tri is on is also very wide so that one should be fine for practice. That would make alot of sense anyway so that I can learn the route. I'll just need to give them time to fix the pot holes. I'm sure there are some roads that are not very populated too, I just need to find a nice loop. My advice is to stay with what's comfortable for a little bit. I have a feeling that both you and I will warm up to riding on busier roads as we do it more and raise our comfort level.

Mel -Sorry to hear about your foot, but I love your attitude. Do your stretches when they tell you and you'll be back on the road in no time.

Temp for running As long as I can run in shorts, I'm happy. I'm willing to run in cold gear, but I make sure to whine about it for about a mile. I'll be out there in 90 degrees and high humidity though without whining....I'll be wet but smiling. Sweat is your reward for a hard days work. Just keep hydrated.

Beer There will be beer on Saturday night, oh YES there will be beer.
2015-03-26 10:54 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

So my run cadence is consistently around 165-170. I always assumed it was because my legs are so long, should I start trying to pick up the cadence and lessen the stride length?

Thx to y'all and feeling like someone is watching I am down 10 lbs.

I am scheduled for my first marathon in 3 weeks. I don't think I am ready and don't want to injure myself so I am thinking of running my long run for the week that day then walk run the rest, and not worrying about time. Its either that or sit it out which I don't want to do. I guess I could go really slow, but I also don't want to alter my IM training plan since that is my real goal. The marathon was just to do it.
2015-03-27 9:02 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by b2b14 So my run cadence is consistently around 165-170. I always assumed it was because my legs are so long, should I start trying to pick up the cadence and lessen the stride length? Thx to y'all and feeling like someone is watching I am down 10 lbs. I am scheduled for my first marathon in 3 weeks. I don't think I am ready and don't want to injure myself so I am thinking of running my long run for the week that day then walk run the rest, and not worrying about time. Its either that or sit it out which I don't want to do. I guess I could go really slow, but I also don't want to alter my IM training plan since that is my real goal. The marathon was just to do it.

Think if it as a fully-catered training run.  Pull the plug at mile 18 or 20 and then walk the rest of the way.  Have that as your plan from the beginning.  There's nothing short or easy about a marathon.  Getting that mental toughness and knowing, in a way, what lies in wait at mile 18 and 20 of an full distance tri is worth it, just don't risk making it worse.

2015-03-27 9:09 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by b2b14

So my run cadence is consistently around 165-170. I always assumed it was because my legs are so long, should I start trying to pick up the cadence and lessen the stride length?

Thx to y'all and feeling like someone is watching I am down 10 lbs.

I am scheduled for my first marathon in 3 weeks. I don't think I am ready and don't want to injure myself so I am thinking of running my long run for the week that day then walk run the rest, and not worrying about time. Its either that or sit it out which I don't want to do. I guess I could go really slow, but I also don't want to alter my IM training plan since that is my real goal. The marathon was just to do it.

Scott - just like your sig says, DFL is 2 steps better than DNS! You do what you can do. Don't break anything now

BIG CONGRATS on the weight loss!!!

On cadence - I chucked my own stubbornness and kept an eye on it last night while on the 'mill. I really need to toss my fragile ego in the trash and finally worry about base fitness, form, and injury prevention over all else this year!! I measured towards the beginning of the run, and then at about 30 minutes. 178 early then 170 later in the run. By the point I was doing 170 my HR was up out of Z2 and into Z3 a little, and I had slowed the treadmill speed - twice! Anyway I know I need to shorten the stride a bit more but I thought going the speed I was going when I measured (9:30/mi and 9:50/mi) it was pretty decent. I think it'll be harder to shorten it at higher pace.

2015-03-27 9:42 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Scott, congrats on the weight loss!
2015-03-27 9:51 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I have never thought about cadence. I also discovered yesterday that I really need one of those fancy Garmin watches. I tried to do an interval workout, but it's hard to tell what pace I was running and for how long just using Runkeeper.

I ended up running a little more than 3 miles, but did 3 fast intervals in there. The first 2 intervals I ran around this small park 2 blocks from my house, and I ran a bit faster than planned. The loop is about a half mile and I was hovering around 6:30 pace for the first one. The second one was a little slower, around 7:30 pace. The third one I did in the larger portion of the park and did more like 3/4 of a mile at around 8 minute pace. According to the My Asics app, I was supposed to be between 8:06-8:25, so I was a bit faster, but felt pretty good. My hip is bothering me a bit today (I've had hip problems since HS track) but think it is just tight and not wanting to sit in a desk chair all day.

I celebrated last night with some Yuengling before our kickball game that didn't happen due to rain
2015-03-27 9:58 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh, almost forgot, it was BEAUTIFUL here yesterday. mid 60's for my run...had a long sleeve shirt on that I definitely regretted after.

Also, shoulder update, it's still feeling really good. I haven't been taking medicine at all during the day. We are now taping my upper and lower traps to retrain me on my posture (when I start to lean forward, the tape pulls and reminds me to pull my shoulders back). I'm amazed at how quickly it has gotten better, and so so grateful for Mary, my PT!
2015-03-27 10:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida
Alan - good luck this weekend with the track race! Would love to see something like that in person...Dave Q any idea if there's any kind of bike racing going on locally? There's a ton of group charity rides, and of course the PMC goes right by my house (and I'll be out watching).

All of you running outdoors - I will join you soon. It's been raining for 2 days and temps hovering around 50 which I am absolutely stoked for. This is actual New England Spring weather, and the snow is washing away. Won't be able to cycle on these pothole-mangled sand covered roads for a while but I'll be able to run as soon as the snowbanks are receded off the shoulder, which will be soon!

Sandi - I've mentioned it before, you are an inspiration. I admire the bravery - I'm with Dave O, I'm nervous enough to be on the roads with car traffic with two good eyes and very good peripheral vision.

Edited by firebert 2015-03-27 10:12 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54116 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.