BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-04-15 8:19 PM
in reply to: Qua17

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Really great day today..

Was up bright and early at 9am..

Got gear together and hit the road.

Did some sprint intervals up on the levee, about 9 miles worth.. From there I hit the weights, triceps and chest today, then back home to change into my running clothes. Hit the lakes to do some 3min on 1 min off intervals at where I'm hoping will be near my race pace, made all but one interval, starting cramping pretty bad, popped a gel and some nuun. Finished right at 4 miles on the run, still had some life in me, so I got back on the bike and ride the route around the lakes a few times, some good technical work, and good solid intervals..so in total, just a hair over 30mi bike/4mi run/ and weights...

Not too shabby...

2015-04-15 8:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by Burd I need some advise from you bike gurus. I am buying a powermeter and have it narrowed down to the new Powertap chainrings or the Powertap hub. The cost is roughly the same so that's not an issue. The C1 rings won't be out until June +/- and I can get the hub now. Is there a downside to the hub or is it tried and true? Another positive would be I can put it in my Zipps and when I add a road bike to the stable just swap out wheels. My wheels are 10spd now so doing the hub would allow me to move to 11spd when the time comes. I guess I answered my own question on which one make more sense. Any input on the PowerTap hubs? I would have to go with the G3 since my wheels are 20h and the GS is 24h only. I can't see the extra $500 for the ceramic bearings option.

I'm with Chuck on this. Why not Stages? I've never used a power tap but I ruled it out when I was looking for a power meter because you're limited to one wheel set. For bike racing this might not be such a big deal because power isn't really that useful during a race. For triathlons, however, power is a key component for pacing yourself. So it's just as important to have power for a race as it is for training when it comes to Tris (which if you have a training and racing wheelsets you'd with need two power taps or sacrifice one, in which case, put the PM on the training wheels. Training with power is the most beneficial use of a PM). I don't like crank based because of the limitation of cranksets but stages is nice because it's relatively cheap and can be swapped out. If you have a shimano 105 crankset for example, if you decide to upgrade to ultegra or dura ace, you can still use the 105 stages with those cranks. It can also easily be swapped out for different bikes if you have a road and TT bike with the same crank. 

I have a SRAM BB30 and don't see an option for a BB30 Stages unless I pick up an FSA crank and then buy the Stages arm for BB30. Then I'm at $699 for the stages and $100+ more for a new crank. The SRAM option is a GXP. I train and race on the same set of wheels.

The only reason I am considering this is I got a taste of training with power on my Wahoo Kickr and it was awesome. I saw how much better my workouts were when following a plan based on my power output. I guess until I can find an option I need to take my wheel off and hook her up to the Kickr and put in some work!

Edited by Burd 2015-04-15 8:52 PM
2015-04-15 8:57 PM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Expert
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Really great day today..

Was up bright and early at 9am..

Got gear together and hit the road.

Did some sprint intervals up on the levee, about 9 miles worth.. From there I hit the weights, triceps and chest today, then back home to change into my running clothes. Hit the lakes to do some 3min on 1 min off intervals at where I'm hoping will be near my race pace, made all but one interval, starting cramping pretty bad, popped a gel and some nuun. Finished right at 4 miles on the run, still had some life in me, so I got back on the bike and ride the route around the lakes a few times, some good technical work, and good solid intervals..so in total, just a hair over 30mi bike/4mi run/ and weights...

Not too shabby...

Killer workout! I didn't know they had 9 miles of hills in LA Seriously - way to get back on the bike after the run... It just shows you how much you had left in the tank!
2015-04-15 9:10 PM

User image

Expert
Before heading to bed... I just want to tell y'all about my ride today. I had been an absolutely crappy day at work but I raced home to get out on the bike since it was so nice out. When I hopped on - I was frustrated about my job and my job search - and it took a while for me to get centered. But after a while - I noticed how happy I was just to be outside and how good it felt to be going fast. I got so into it, I decided to do some hill repeats which I haven't done in 6 months and I really pushed it. By the time I got home, I was in a really good mood.

I don't teach math but it seems like the following equation is true: biking + sun > cr@ppy job

Edited by Qua17 2015-04-15 9:10 PM
2015-04-15 10:01 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Originally posted by Burd I have a SRAM BB30 and don't see an option for a BB30 Stages unless I pick up an FSA crank and then buy the Stages arm for BB30. Then I'm at $699 for the stages and $100+ more for a new crank. The SRAM option is a GXP. I train and race on the same set of wheels. The only reason I am considering this is I got a taste of training with power on my Wahoo Kickr and it was awesome. I saw how much better my workouts were when following a plan based on my power output. I guess until I can find an option I need to take my wheel off and hook her up to the Kickr and put in some work!

Hmm. That might still be significantly cheaper than buying a power tap and having the wheel rebuilt though. It also frees you up if you ever do get a set of racing wheels separate from your training wheels. Otherwise, power tap is a great option and I'm sure you'll be satisfied with whichever you choose.

2015-04-15 10:03 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 Before heading to bed... I just want to tell y'all about my ride today. I had been an absolutely crappy day at work but I raced home to get out on the bike since it was so nice out. When I hopped on - I was frustrated about my job and my job search - and it took a while for me to get centered. But after a while - I noticed how happy I was just to be outside and how good it felt to be going fast. I got so into it, I decided to do some hill repeats which I haven't done in 6 months and I really pushed it. By the time I got home, I was in a really good mood. I don't teach math but it seems like the following equation is true: biking + sun > cr@ppy job

I love hearing things like this. Nothing better than bike therapy. 

2015-04-16 6:39 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Good Morning everyone! I've been a bit of a slacker in terms of steering this BDAS ship and I appreciate all of you who have been carrying the load and supporting each other. Together as a group, we are accomplishing great things. Whether we are finishing our first HIM (congrats Alex), battling bronchitis to finish a marathon (kudos Scott), crushing our OLY PR (you are a machine Cynthia) or battling PF (you go Mel) (and frankly, I could just keep going), we are accomplishing great things together as a group. And that's what the BDAS is all about!

I thought I would throw out a topic for the week since race season is starting up. Feel free to throw out a question or topic as well.

It's easy to put in the time to prepare for S/B//R but what do you do to prepare for transitions?

2015-04-16 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
I wish I spent more time practicing transitions because I know I could do so much better... When I do practice - I try to incorporate the practice into my bricks so that it's authentic. I also try to practice transitions at the end of my long rides when I'm really tired.

When I'm practicing T2, I try to do everything in the same order so it becomes a thoughtless process (I don't do a whole lot of thinking anyway ). I will practice one time and then think about how I did and try to change one thing and see if it improves my time. I might do this 5x at the end of a workout - especially early in the year when I'm relearning everything...
2015-04-16 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by Burd I have a SRAM BB30 and don't see an option for a BB30 Stages unless I pick up an FSA crank and then buy the Stages arm for BB30. Then I'm at $699 for the stages and $100+ more for a new crank. The SRAM option is a GXP. I train and race on the same set of wheels. The only reason I am considering this is I got a taste of training with power on my Wahoo Kickr and it was awesome. I saw how much better my workouts were when following a plan based on my power output. I guess until I can find an option I need to take my wheel off and hook her up to the Kickr and put in some work!

Hmm. That might still be significantly cheaper than buying a power tap and having the wheel rebuilt though. It also frees you up if you ever do get a set of racing wheels separate from your training wheels. Otherwise, power tap is a great option and I'm sure you'll be satisfied with whichever you choose.

Hmm, that is strange - no BB30.  What's your crankset?  Since the Illicto runs a BB30, and I presume you have a SRAM crank, I bet that you have a set of push-in adapters to go from BB30 to a GXP form factor.  My Felt runs adapters to go form BB30 to 24mm Shimano. So, if you have adapters that go from BB30 to GXP and your crankset is a GXP, you're already good to go.  Something like this:

You could do that, to:  Stages 105 $700 + 105 5800 crankset $150 = $850 with 11-speed comparability, Shimano's killer hollow-forged chainrings, and their new 4-bolt 110bcd crank standard that lets you run any chainring.  Going to Ultegra 6800 is a bit pricier:  $800 for the PM plus $220 for the crankset = $1,020.

With their brand-spanking new pedal pod redesign, Garmin's now somewhat off my ****list.  So the Garmin Vector S2 at $900 is an okay buy, and comparable.  Rotor also just announced a new powermeter.  I think we might see a price war come November and Christmas, if you can wait that long.

A couple of other notes:  I hate bottom brackets.  We need to have just one standard for everybody, period.  It'll never happen, so everyone will continue to be confused by the mess that it currently is.

I just have qualms about re-lacing an already-good (and expensive) wheel to a new hub.  Even in Florida, there can be days when you don't want to risk the pricey wheels.  Right now I'm running box-sections and 28mm tires since the roads are so crappy here, while they patch and fill and the winter grime still washes away.  A Powertap hub makes me choose between training with power and racing with power.

Less so, but still, I am not a fan of crank-based setups, since they commit you to one form factor.  So if you ever get an itch to do a non-flat race, you're looking at issues again.  

I've also had a lot of issues with my pedal-based Garmin Vectors, so may be I just hate everything.  Powertap's pedals also look to be AAA-battery with 30 hours of life, so that's almost a non-starter.  And you probably like your Speedplays.

Good luck with your search!

2015-04-16 7:51 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Veteran
Illinois

So, job situation is still in limbo currently; waiting for them to make a decision, but at least I'm still under consideration.  

In the interim, I've been taking my lack of control over the job stuff and channeling it into something I do have control over - my yard.  Five years of English Ivy overgrowth is nothing compared to me and venting some frustration (we've been in the house two years, but last summer I was training for IM, so it was neglected).  Currently about 12 hours into the project, and probably another 8 or more to go.  But I am reclaiming my yard, and that's what matters.  And it's a killer cross-training core workout

2015-04-16 8:45 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Before heading to bed... I just want to tell y'all about my ride today. I had been an absolutely crappy day at work but I raced home to get out on the bike since it was so nice out. When I hopped on - I was frustrated about my job and my job search - and it took a while for me to get centered. But after a while - I noticed how happy I was just to be outside and how good it felt to be going fast. I got so into it, I decided to do some hill repeats which I haven't done in 6 months and I really pushed it. By the time I got home, I was in a really good mood.

I don't teach math but it seems like the following equation is true: biking + sun > cr@ppy job

Now that's the kind of math I understand!

2015-04-16 12:06 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Nice ride dave!

Charles- way to get the yard done. If you want you can visit NC and take care of mine

Alan- I signed on and tried to get my flow 60/90 they were sold out by the time I could get to checkout. crazy. guess I'll wait for the next run
2015-04-16 1:13 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Just a heads up - I just got an email my bike shirt order has been processed and it's on it's way! We will be in BDAS shirts soon!!
2015-04-16 5:07 PM
in reply to: #5108652

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yay on shirts!

I looked at stickers and it looks like these guys get pretty good reviews.
https://www.psprint.com/stickers/vinyl-stickers

Seems pretty affordable if we can get a design to a standard size 2"x4" ish

I'd be willing to front an order and mail them out. 200 are about $50 so about a quarter each. Or ten people giving $5. Since it seems buying in bulk is the way to go on stickers.

Dave, I hate to ask you to do anymore- since you did so much with the shirts already- but how hard would it be to translate the BDAS design to a rectangle for stickers- and if people wanted they could use the same file for a polar picture water bottle.

http://polarbottle.com/customized-photo-water-bottles/

2015-04-16 5:07 PM
in reply to: #5108697

User image

Extreme Veteran
I need to go run and it's sleeting out....
2015-04-16 5:19 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Originally posted by Moonrocket

ouch that stinks

I got in my swim and 1hr run today. Training is going well. I'm bummed I didn't get the wheels but I am hoping to get them in June

2015-04-16 6:08 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

And I was complaining about the warm 80* day when I went for my lunch time run...

2015-04-16 6:38 PM

User image

Originally posted by Moonrocket Yay on shirts! I looked at stickers and it looks like these guys get pretty good reviews. https://www.psprint.com/stickers/vinyl-stickersSeems pretty affordable if we can get a design to a standard size 2"x4" ish I'd be willing to front an order and mail them out. 200 are about $50 so about a quarter each. Or ten people giving $5. Since it seems buying in bulk is the way to go on stickers. Dave, I hate to ask you to do anymore- since you did so much with the shirts already- but how hard would it be to translate the BDAS design to a rectangle for stickers- and if people wanted they could use the same file for a polar picture water bottle. http://polarbottle.com/customized-photo-water-bottles/

I'd be happy to drop $5 into someone's paypal account for stickers. 

If someone sends me the vector files I can do a simple rectangle with the angry dude and 'BDAS' above or below him. Unless he already has BDAS on him somewhere, I can't remember.

2015-04-16 6:40 PM

User image

What about bumper stickers that say, 'You can't spell B@da$$ without BDAS' (uncensored of course). :P

or Ba DA sS (no spaces)

Edited by adempsey10 2015-04-16 6:46 PM
2015-04-16 8:24 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania

Dave, I hate to ask you to do anymore- since you did so much with the shirts already- but how hard would it be to translate the BDAS design to a rectangle for stickers- and if people wanted they could use the same file for a polar picture water bottle.

http://polarbottle.com/customized-photo-water-bottles/

It's not a big deal. I'll see what magic I can work tonight.
2015-04-16 8:40 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Check-in I did a bonus swim workout yesterday. My normal plans didn't fit in with daddy-taxi duties. Today I did a 6 mile run. I'm going to lay off running until the race now because I keep re-tweaking my left hamstring. I'm going to let it heal up for the run. I really don't think I'm going to lose my conditioning in 10 days. I'll probably just swim between now and then to keep the cardio up. When I was at the pool yesterday I noticed that the other triathletes are coming out of the woodwork. After watching them I realized I need more practice in the pool anyway.

Shirts I had Jakroo put our store into "reorder" mode. It should stay open continuously now at the prices listed. I also received my shirt shipping confirmation. The tracking number says delivery tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

2015-04-16 10:25 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
It is back on! Thank you. I have ordered a shirt for my wife and myself. And it should be here in time for my Sprint in May! Woo! Thanks again.

Originally posted by Snewo

Check-in Did a 6 mile ride on the stationary bike while waiting for my daughter to finish gymnastics. Yet another day when my kids prevented me from giving in to the funk. In the past I've dropped training about a few weeks prior to the race (which makes NO sense at all I know) but this year I'm still rocking and rolling with their help. I'll tell you what, involving family and training with friends makes it much harder to slack off. If anyone is having trouble getting motivated then involve others. They help keep you honest.

Nicole & Jeff I sent two emails asking them to put the website into reorder mode. I'll try to remember to call tomorrow to see if I have more luck with the phone. No worries though....I'm going to keep plugging away to get it turned back on.

Juan I saw AC/DC in concert a few years ago. Angus may look like a sweaty version of Gollum from Lord of the Rings, but they sure rocked the place. Enjoy it!

Devon Let me know how you like your first run in the moon shoes (Hokas). I'm liking them. I haven't had any of the repetitive impact pain on the ball of the foot during my long runs. I'm curious if you have the same experience.

2015-04-17 1:04 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All!!

I just spent over an hour catching up on all the posts here! It looks like everyone is rocking away in their own way--great!

The excavation season has been great, and I wish I could stay longer. Yesterday, I excavated two mummies. Seriously, how freaking cool is that?!?!?! I leave the site tomorrow and travel to Cairo to catch a plane at 3:45am on Sunday to come home. Then, one week later is my next race. I'm freaking out a little about it, but trying to keep in mind why I signed up for this race with this timing. It is a super-sprint (150yd swim, 12 mi bike, 2 mi run) and I signed up not to compete, but instead as motivation to keep at the daily training while on site. It is pretty easy to let your training go a bit after a day on site. Archaeology is really hard on the body, as you spend most of your day bent into a very unnatural position trying not to stand on anything important, which is especially difficult when you are standing in a 1m deep, 35cm wide grave pit.

Good luck to those of you racing this weekend!!!
2015-04-17 1:04 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
dp

Edited by drfoodlove 2015-04-17 8:11 AM
2015-04-17 7:28 AM

User image

Expert

What about bumper stickers that say, 'You can't spell B@da$$ without BDAS' (uncensored of course). :P

or Ba DA sS (no spaces)

I love that idea!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54381 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.