BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-07-05 8:18 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Rest day for me today. Really needed it this week...so much I wasn,t even edgy today!

Goals for this week are to hit my workouts every day and try not to over do it before my race on Sunday. Goal #2 is to try not to over think and obsess about my race all week!

2015-07-05 9:31 PM
in reply to: #5126786

User image

Extreme Veteran
Go Dave!

Nice mile Devon!

I got an 11 mile 1:45 mtn bike in today. My husband took a huge, scary digger right in front of me. He busted his lip- but is surprisingly good other than that. (But I'll wake home up to check on him before I go to sleep).

My goal for the week is 3 bikes, 3 runs and 2 swims. Although weather could make the bikes hard. Looks like a week of rain.
2015-07-05 10:01 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

checking in, everyone....

glad you've survived poison ivy, Gretchen. Thor....thank goodness your son was ok. Dave....sounds like the mojo is coming back...we need to give you a goal so I can send you beer. John, the clinic is a good idea if for no other reason than the OWS (which if memory serves you have done none of, is that right?).

Me...I've been working my off. Longest swim to date (1 mile) today....I've done bricks most days with one mini tri (45 minute bike followed by a 20 minute run...then I jumped in the pool for half a mile). Planning on my first sprint next weekend. I just need to get into the lake next week and do a few OWS so I am prepared (haven't had the opportunity to OWS yet this year, but should be able to do a few this coming week).

Will post a few pics of my training runs....it's so lovely here and easy to work out.

Sandi
2015-07-06 6:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by GeauxHard

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Busy night last night at work for me, worked overtime again for the 4th day in a row..didn't get out until the sun was up.

Slept in a little today, weather sucked AGAIN today..only managed to get a short tempo run in, however it was my best mile(off the treadmill) so far, 7:27/mi, not sure if that's my performance getting better, or if I was hauling butt to get back inside before the next line of thunderstorms. Lol. Lightning sprints!

Off to work again.. Sigh.

Devon - Damn - a 7:27 is fast! Congrats on the speed and for making it through 4 days of overtime! What do you do when you're not dodging lightening bolts?

Edited by Qua17 2015-07-06 8:02 AM
2015-07-06 7:02 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Rest day for me today. Really needed it this week...so much I wasn,t even edgy today!

Goals for this week are to hit my workouts every day and try not to over do it before my race on Sunday. Goal #2 is to try not to over think and obsess about my race all week!

Gretchen - Kudos on the great week! Focus on your intensity this week and follow your plan. You are gonna crush your race!
2015-07-06 7:09 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
Sandi: Way to go on your longest swim. A mile is a big accomplishment - especially when you look back on all you have done and gone through to get there! I know you're not a huge fan of OWS but just think of all you have done in the past. Any chance you can get into the water at the race site?

As for beer/incentives... I'm super focused right now but I'm worried about what will happen after my race in August. Could we have a fall challenge?

2015-07-06 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Last night I rewarded myself for two weeks of hard work outs and weightloss with a trip to Buffalo Wild Wings where we watched the USA crush Japan. The wings were almost as good as the game!

It's a rest week for me - but here are my goals:

1) Follow my plan - no missed workouts!
2) PT and rolling everyday
3) Eat well, record calories, and lose 2 LBS
4) Learn more about biking (anyone know any good sites or books?)
5) BT every day!

Reward - A trip to Shorts Brewery... If I fail - CLP

Gretchen and Sandi are racing this weekend. Anyone else?

Edited by Qua17 2015-07-06 7:29 AM
2015-07-06 8:20 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Sandi-Great job on the workouts! Amazing how location can boost your will to get out and suffer.  I am completely get it!

Dave-Keep going. see above. Location makes a world of difference...well that and summers off...haha. 

-I am in for a weight loss challenge for the fall. I think losing weight in the spring is all wrong as I rob myself of training calories to lose weight. For once I would like to go into spring at a good weight!

Justin-great job on the weight loss. That weigh loss should now let you tie your wife on the next 5k you do. 

Kate-Ouch! Sorry to hear about your husband. Sure it is not the first or last...crazy mountain bikers...

Gretchen-good job to realize you need a rest every now and then.

Scott-Was your sgt. exam mark good enough? I see you have more sgt. stuff coming up... If so congratulations!

2015-07-06 8:40 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well it is my family's(less my son) "A" race this weekend. Apparently I have been on a month long taper according to my training log... Hoping my base will hold me through it. Lots of hills on the course. Including one brutal hill on the run. In a 1/4 of mile you go up a couple hundred feet. Came in 3rd in my age group last year and won a beer mug...going to be tough this year. It is about a 5 1/2 hour drive so we have rented a condo with the inlaws. Great location right at race. Can drop off bikes and walk back to condo for coffee. Still undecided on whether I am wearing a wetsuit...

My goals for the week.

1) eat clean

2) consistent short easy workouts.

3) research my celebration beer for Sunday

2015-07-06 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Well it is my family's(less my son) "A" race this weekend. Apparently I have been on a month long taper according to my training log... Hoping my base will hold me through it. Lots of hills on the course. Including one brutal hill on the run. In a 1/4 of mile you go up a couple hundred feet. Came in 3rd in my age group last year and won a beer mug...going to be tough this year. It is about a 5 1/2 hour drive so we have rented a condo with the inlaws. Great location right at race. Can drop off bikes and walk back to condo for coffee. Still undecided on whether I am wearing a wetsuit...

My goals for the week.

1) eat clean

If you podium - I'll send you a beer from Boston. Your choice!
2015-07-06 9:52 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Justin Congrats on the weight loss! That's great news!
On the beer front, tired a few of the Sierra Nevada German style stuff yesterday at a cookout. The Kolsch, Nooner (pilsner) and Kellerweiss. Also got to try 'Not your father's root beer' out of Wisconsin I believe. There's nothing 'beer' about it, but it tastes just like root beer, maybe a bit sasparilla. Delicious!

Scott That's quite the race calendar you've got coming up plus the Sergeant exams - go kick some butt all the way around!

Dave Way to persevere through all the flats! And good work with the climbing. That's no joke! Glad you had a Two Hearted. Can't wait to have my next one.

Devon Stay safe out there with all the weather. You can't catch a break can you?

Sandi Go get em this weekend! To answer your question, I've had one OWS thus far, beginning of June (air temp 47F). So the clinic will be my 2nd. I've been practicing sighting though in the outdoor pool (using a tree or a building as a landmark).

Thor Kick some butt this weekend!

2015-07-06 9:54 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Goals for the week:

1. get my scheduled workouts in around a messed up schedule
2. PT exercises! They are helping but don't help so much if I don't do them!
3. try not to miss my bike too much or get stressed about how long it's taking. It needs a tune up and likely two new tires (one has a bubble, one has a crack). LBS says 1-2 weeks... I need it in a week and 3 days for my tri clinic so I'm really hoping for the earlier end of that spectrum!
2015-07-06 10:34 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I've been MIA for a while, and I don't think I'm going to try to catch up on 500+ posts while I was away.

Good news though - I have found gainful employment; it isn't what I wanted, but it is acceptable and a job I should be good at.  Plus there's a gym on-site (corporate campus sort of thing) and the commute is an easy 10 miles one-way, which should make life pretty decent.  I start next Monday, so we will see how it goes.

With the job stuff settled and that stressor removed, I can finally start thinking about the future in a productive, non-dreadful way.

2015-07-06 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Sheesh, get a new bike shop or let them know when to bring it in. Change the tires yourself. Youtube has tons of video showing you how to do it.  1-2 weeks for a tune up is not acceptable...

good luck!

Originally posted by firebert Goals for the week: 1. get my scheduled workouts in around a messed up schedule 2. PT exercises! They are helping but don't help so much if I don't do them! 3. try not to miss my bike too much or get stressed about how long it's taking. It needs a tune up and likely two new tires (one has a bubble, one has a crack). LBS says 1-2 weeks... I need it in a week and 3 days for my tri clinic so I'm really hoping for the earlier end of that spectrum!

2015-07-06 11:03 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

10miles...now you can sell your car and bike...

Like I always say...I work to live not live to work. Do what ya gotta to do live!

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I've been MIA for a while, and I don't think I'm going to try to catch up on 500+ posts while I was away.

Good news though - I have found gainful employment; it isn't what I wanted, but it is acceptable and a job I should be good at.  Plus there's a gym on-site (corporate campus sort of thing) and the commute is an easy 10 miles one-way, which should make life pretty decent.  I start next Monday, so we will see how it goes.

With the job stuff settled and that stressor removed, I can finally start thinking about the future in a productive, non-dreadful way.

2015-07-06 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Dave, I won my age group in my last race...can I get a postdated beer for that....

Originally posted by Qua17

My goals for the week.

1) eat clean

2015-07-06 2:30 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Unfortunately this is pretty much par for the course around these parts. I have a couple shops that might be able to get to it a couple days sooner (no guarantees) but this shop we know and trust, plus they're a long time Trek dealer and know my bike.

Also - unfortunately for me - the money pit phase is beginning. I have a 9 year old race bike. This is feeling akin to having a 9 year old Ferrari or Porsche. It needs a lot of things, and the things are 'Bontrager' and 'Ultegra' and so are more expensive.

Sheesh, get a new bike shop or let them know when to bring it in. Change the tires yourself. Youtube has tons of video showing you how to do it.  1-2 weeks for a tune up is not acceptable...

good luck!

Originally posted by firebert Goals for the week: 1. get my scheduled workouts in around a messed up schedule 2. PT exercises! They are helping but don't help so much if I don't do them! 3. try not to miss my bike too much or get stressed about how long it's taking. It needs a tune up and likely two new tires (one has a bubble, one has a crack). LBS says 1-2 weeks... I need it in a week and 3 days for my tri clinic so I'm really hoping for the earlier end of that spectrum!

2015-07-06 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Unfortunately this is pretty much par for the course around these parts. I have a couple shops that might be able to get to it a couple days sooner (no guarantees) but this shop we know and trust, plus they're a long time Trek dealer and know my bike.

Also - unfortunately for me - the money pit phase is beginning. I have a 9 year old race bike. This is feeling akin to having a 9 year old Ferrari or Porsche. It needs a lot of things, and the things are 'Bontrager' and 'Ultegra' and so are more expensive.

good luck!

John - I love the local Ladry's - they are great about a quick turn around when I have a race coming up. I usually sweeten the deal by buying something when they come through for me - but it's worth it and they are honest and good people.

http://www.landrys.com/

Edited by Qua17 2015-07-06 4:22 PM
2015-07-06 4:21 PM

User image

Expert

Dave, I won my age group in my last race...can I get a postdated beer for that....

Originally posted by Qua17

My goals for the week.

1) eat clean

Sure - only if WTC sends me a finisher's jacket from this year's race since I finished last year's

Edited by Qua17 2015-07-06 4:21 PM
2015-07-06 5:07 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Landrys is just far enough away for me on the south coast to be a hassle, but I've heard nothing but good things. EDIT ooh there's a Norwood location, didn't realize that. It's still a half hour but not as bad as Natick which is where I thought I'd be going.

Question for you (actually for any of you) - I know an LBS isn't going to match prices with online stores, they can't keep the same inventory etc. I know sometimes this means the LBS will charge full retail. But should full retail be so much more money than what online stores are charging? Like $75 vs. $50, $45 vs. $25.... If it was just one thing it would be fine, but when I'm looking at a bunch of parts the extra $20-25 each really adds up... This whole thing is eye opening. I think the future is going to see me doing a lot more work on my own bike. I know they're not overly complicated, but I also know I don't want to screw anything up and end up on my face at 25mph ya know? Also don't want to break any of the aforementioned bontrager and ultegra bits... One of my nicknames is gorilla hands - I have a really bad habit of breaking things unintentionally. Like it won't move, push it harder, it won't move, push it harder, it won't move, CRACK....

Edited by firebert 2015-07-06 5:09 PM
2015-07-06 5:54 PM

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Got in the pool for the first time in years this morning.

It's long course season right now at the club I swim at, so I suffered through about 2400m(garmin decided not to track about 600m of it) of a workout. Had to cut a few sets short because I was dying..we did 10x50's on 1:00 at the end, threw a pair of fins on and crushed them pretty hard actually. Held :32-:33 for all but the last 2, pushed the last two at :29 and a :27.

I forgot how tired a swim workout can make you, made me crash when I got home.

Sushi is on the agenda with some friends for dinner, and then probably a 2-3mile run tonight.

Meteorologists are saying we may see a break in the rain for a few days, so hopefully I can get back out for a nice ride.

Have a great afternoon everyone!

2015-07-07 8:22 AM
in reply to: GeauxHard

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Devon--congrats on getting back in the pool! I love swimming, it is my favorite part of tri. The dog-tired thing never goes away though, or at least it didn't for me, have been swimming on a regular basis for three years now and I still want a nap every afternoon after swimming.

Speaking of swimming, I'm about to pull the trigger on some swim lessons to help improve my stroke (and hopefully, time) for my planned Oly in September. The Uni I work at has adult, private swim lessons for $12 a session (sold in 5 packs). I just have to talk to the coordinator to work out which instructor I want to work with. He doesn't seem to understand that there is a big difference between knowing how to do a particular stroke and being able to teach someone else how to do that stroke and/or improve on their current stroke. I keep asking about the teaching abilities, he keeps saying that all the instructors are swimmers, so they know the strokes. I guess in the grand scheme of triathlon spending, $60 isn't a big loss if I try it out and find I don't like it.

Long run this morning (4.21mi), with swim and weights later today in some combination. I'd like to get them both in during the same trip to the gym, but weights before swimming makes for a terrible swim and swim before weights makes for logistical issues. Oh well--I'll figure it out.

Happy Training Everyone!
2015-07-07 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by firebert Try not to miss my bike too much or get stressed about how long it's taking. It needs a tune up and likely two new tires (one has a bubble, one has a crack). LBS says 1-2 weeks... I need it in a week and 3 days for my tri clinic so I'm really hoping for the earlier end of that spectrum!

I hate the whole concept of a "tune-up."  For me, it's right up there with elbow grease and blinker fluid.  It's such a generic term to be meaningless.  

Post pics of your tires and I can probably tell you to replace it or not.  One test I do is to inflate the tube all the way to maximum sidewall pressure, then go ride around the neighborhood, do a few bunny hops, ride off a few curbs, and see if it blows.  If not, then you're good.  If yes, get a new tire.  You can use a tyvek envelope (the plasticy ones) to cut a patch for a gash in the tire; Park Tool also makes patches that serve the same purpose.  However, if you can see any significant amount of the patch on the fully-inflated tire, get a new tire.  

On tire sizes:  run 25mm width.  23mm tires are obsolete now, from all perspectives (aero, rolling resistance, comfort), and for the few circumstances where that isn't true, if you know enough to debate about it, then you know enough to choose appropriately  If you prefer comfort over marginal speed gains, a set of fat 28mm tires are really cushy and take much more of a beating than the smaller ones, but will be noticeably slower.  

On tire choice:  25mm Contintental 4000s are the gold standard, but pricey.  I personally run 25mm gatorskins on my deep section carbon wheels, but I would swap to 4000s for a time trial or really fast race.  My spring/winter box section wheels  (i.e., slow, durable) run 28mm Performance Bike Strada kevlar tires.  

On tune-ups:  First, learn how to clean your chain and deraiiluers.  That's 80% of it.  And learn to listen to your bike - if it sounds wrong, or there are issues shifting (jumping multiple gears, not shifting quickly or properly), then it's time to fiddle with things.  If you aren't having problems, and it isn't noisy, and everything is clean, you don't need to fix anything.  If you are having problems shifting, then start by fiddling with the barrel adjusters (one turn or half a turn at a time), because it's probably cable stretch that is throwing things off, so a little adjust should fix it.

Chains, cassettes, and chainrings are wear items.  If you keep an eye on things and measure carefully, you can probably get three chains to a chainring and cassette.  At least.  If you don't pay any attention to it, you'll get uneven wear and have to replace the cassettes and chains as a set.  Since cassettes and chains cost about the same nowadays, that's not really a big deal.  

The only decent way to tell if a cassette is worn is either (a) the teeth look noticeably and significantly warn, or (b) the chain will skip a tooth on hard efforts.  Chain skip (jumping teeth) without any chain chatter (lateral movement caused by the derailleurs) is the only real true indicator.

The drop gauges used by bike shops are inaccurate and unreliable at best - most brand new chains will fail them.

Not to rag on the LBS, but there's a lot of really bad ones out there, and it's a tough, competitive, low-margin market, so there is a tendency to use any reasonable (or not-so-reasonable . . .) excuse to change parts (and make money).  

And well over half of a tune-up is cleaning and lubricating the bike.  Why would anyone pay $60 an hour on labor for something so simple?  Many shops offer a basic and usually free class on cleaning, lubrication, and tire changing - and most REI stores do as well.  If you don't know how, go to one of those classes, or better yet, ask a friendly bike guy for help.  The only skill-necessary parts of a tune-up are derailleur adjustments and brake checks.  

Here's how to check your brakes:  if the bike stops, and there is still some vertical groove left in the rubber pads, you're fine.  If not, have it fixed.  If you ride full-carbon wheels, well, that's another story.  

Bikes are tough, reliable machines, and if you aren't having problems, keep riding it.

2015-07-07 10:48 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Interesting info on tires Charles. I'm going to check what tires are on my road bike.

I had a great ~2 mile swim this morning at the res. I love quiet morning open water swims.
2015-07-07 10:50 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove  The Uni I work at has adult, private swim lessons for $12 a session (sold in 5 packs). I just have to talk to the coordinator to work out which instructor I want to work with. He doesn't seem to understand that there is a big difference between knowing how to do a particular stroke and being able to teach someone else how to do that stroke and/or improve on their current stroke. I keep asking about the teaching abilities, he keeps saying that all the instructors are swimmers, so they know the strokes. I guess in the grand scheme of triathlon spending, $60 isn't a big loss if I try it out and find I don't like it.  

I'd be tempted to simply email some of the freestylers on the swim team and ask if they'd take money for lessons.  A couple of hours of critique from a collegiate freestyler would probably make anyone a better swimmer.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54091 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.