BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-26 3:10 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by MoonrocketI did get a good start to this week since it is 75 and sunny right now I got in a good bike. I really wish I could wander out for some more instead of logging back into work.

The workout sounds awesome. I love getting a workout in during the work day, but you're right, I'd always rather be outside than at my desk....
75 and sunny - haha I wish! We're in a state of emergency (which is MA government's way of saying 'get home now so the roads are empty for the plows later). My dr appointment is rescheduled to Friday. The Y is open for the moment, but my swim class is cancelled. And this is just the start of the storm... All told we're expecting 18-24" over the next 36 hours or so.

2015-01-26 5:48 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Qua17

Happy Monday (or as happy as it can be!).

1) Starting today, we are doing Jeff's awesome 200 minute challenge. Remember time spent S/B/R ing sounts but so to does yoga, PT, icing, ETC. Basically - if it gets you to the starting line of your spring race - it counts!

[snip]

DQ

I'm having some soreness in my left hammy, so I was going to do some low impact swimming today. That plan was derailed by the overhyped snowpocalypse (at least for my area) so I'm left with having to make other plans. I'm going to avoid my treadmill for hammy reasons. Everything I read says that you need to work on your core in order to be successful in your events, so here's my question. Does anyone have a good core workout that I can do which will count for the 200 minute challenge? Let's start with a basic workout. I don't mind pain, I just don't want to do damage.

-Snewo
2015-01-26 6:14 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
27/400 (81/200 for the week) with a 45 min trainer ride this evening. I also started back up with core work this morning. I use the BT core #2 workout most days. Otherwise, I do yoga for core strength.
2015-01-26 6:47 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by drfoodlove

27/400 (81/200 for the week) with a 45 min trainer ride this evening. I also started back up with core work this morning. I use the BT core #2 workout most days. Otherwise, I do yoga for core strength.

Thanks. I'll give one of those BT core workouts a shot. I also think I need to delve further into this website. There are some things hidden more than a click or two I suspect.

-Snewo
2015-01-26 7:14 PM
in reply to: #5087426

User image

Extreme Veteran
I love medicine balls for core. This article has some great ones #8 is my favorite. If you don't have a medicine ball a gallon jug of liquid works too.
2015-01-26 7:15 PM
in reply to: #5087439

User image

Extreme Veteran

2015-01-26 8:12 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Catching up a bit here after having the parents down for the weekend. Workouts 25 & 26/400 on Friday (1200 yd swim) and today (2.5mi run). Today's run puts me at 36/200min for the week (yep, I'm that slow). Parental visit was great, but boy did it cut down on workouts--as in none over the weekend. I really missed my trail run yesterday, but since it was raining all day anyway, I wasn't going to get it in. Dad and I installed a new over the stove microwave, which shouldn't be a difficult task, but it was. We ended up taking down all of the molding along the ceiling and rebuilding an entire wall of cabinets. We also rewired the microwave and oven outlet to put it on a separate circuit to hopefully end our problem of tripping the circuit every time I use the microwave. All in all it was a great visit.

Not bad for a days work!
2015-01-26 8:13 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by MOlsen

On Sunday I did my longest run to date (16 miles!) and it was a trail run for added difficulty. Granted I use the term "run" loosely here as I walked at least half of it on the steeper inclines and descents. Going from sea level to 1,500ft in just a few miles made for a steep climb. The view at the first peak was incredible, see my race report for a couple pictures.

Mark, that is outstanding. 25K trail runs are no laughing matter. Nice work.
2015-01-26 9:03 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well the jury is out on the Wahoo Kickr. Out"freakin"standing!! I have it hooked up with Trainer Road. You leave it in 1 gear the entire time and the resistance gets auto adjusted based on your FTP and the interval that's set. I have never gotten such a hard and productive workout on my bike. Every workout has a purpose and a goal. I want to quit half way through since it's so hard but after finishing I feel like I accomplished so much. I can't wait to do this for a few weeks then do my FTP test again and see the improvements.
2015-01-26 9:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida
Well if anyone thought PT exercises were too easy to be part of this weeks's challenge :D

23/200 mins - PT exercises including a tearjerking 10 minutes of foam rolling, and an agonizing 2 minutes (1 at a time, with rest in between) in plank. Will need to add something better tomorrow while snowed in to catch back up!

Edited by firebert 2015-01-27 10:29 AM
2015-01-26 9:43 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by firebert

On Sunday I did my longest run to date (16 miles!) and it was a trail run for added difficulty. Granted I use the term "run" loosely here as I walked at least half of it on the steeper inclines and descents. Going from sea level to 1,500ft in just a few miles made for a steep climb. The view at the first peak was incredible, see my race report for a couple pictures.

WOW what a cool event!

I second that wow!

2015-01-26 9:56 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Wound up doing just over 9 miles outside this morning, instead of 11, which was supposed to be my long run this week. I just ran out of time- I was a little slower than normal because there were 2-3" of snow on the ground, and some of it was getting icy/ slushy. If it got light earlier I might start earlier- but running in pitch blackness in snow and ice is too crazy for me. I started around 7 and with streetlights it was light enough to see.
I was going to try to go to the gym and do 2 more miles on the treadmill but it was such a harrowing day of driving. We wound up with like 6 inches of snow that fell over the course of 18 hours, so the snow was never deep enough to shut things down but was always falling and making things slick. All I wanted to do was get home to a glass of whiskey and Downton Abbey.
Might add the 2 miles to the mid-week medium run, which was supposed to be 6 this week. Or I might just chill out and do the 12 on the schedule next week. We'll see!

Christina
2015-01-26 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
2 minutes plank! That's amazing!
2015-01-26 10:40 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by Burd

Well the jury is out on the Wahoo Kickr. Out"freakin"standing!! I have it hooked up with Trainer Road. You leave it in 1 gear the entire time and the resistance gets auto adjusted based on your FTP and the interval that's set. I have never gotten such a hard and productive workout on my bike. Every workout has a purpose and a goal. I want to quit half way through since it's so hard but after finishing I feel like I accomplished so much. I can't wait to do this for a few weeks then do my FTP test again and see the improvements.

Sounds like an awesome workout and even better, it has a goal in mind. Makes my Road Machine and Spinervals DVD seem like kids play.

Despite being AWOL for a few days, I did make the goal last week of 5/5. It wasn't pretty, they weren't all great workouts, they weren't as long or hard as I would have liked, but I knew I didn't want to fall short and have to take a CLP.

This week is off to a good start. For once, I didn't get an emergency coverage call on Monday night and was able to go on our night time group ride. 24 miles on a very windy and Florida standard cold evening. We did cut out the bridge because it would have been a pure cross wind on a very exposed stretch of road with fairly narrow bike lanes. Better to be safe tonight and we will ride them twice next week. This puts me at 80/200 for this week's goal.

Good luck to everyone this week and hope y'all (yous guys) up north survive Snowmagedon III. Be safe.

Chris

2015-01-27 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

100 minutes/200...halfway home!

2015-01-27 8:45 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm sitting (gingerly!) at 161/200 for the week! This morning I did my first ever spin class. It was pretty fun and a nice change of pace. I may go back. This weekend they are having a Spin120 class, which is 2 hours long, so I may hit that because I need a long bike workout and 2 hours on my trainer would probably put me in the looney bin! That was workout 28/400, 29/400 was immediately after--1200 yds in the pool. I was very close to a bonk--back to back workouts with nothing in between on no breakfast. One day I will figure out nutrition, today was not that day. After teaching my classes today, I'm headed back to the gym for racquetball with a friend. Looks like 200 will be done tonight!

Hope everyone is having a good time training! Stay safe Northeasterners!!!

2015-01-27 9:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
So I missed my personal goal of 10 workouts last week. But I did get in 7 good quality workouts, even a run Sat evening when I really, really, just wanted to sit on the couch.

Yesterday I felt way too tired after a friends B-Day party on Sunday. I don't often get to gloat about the weather in Calgary but Sunday was amazing, +17 C and full sun, we broke a record. (Many days in the summer aren't that warm). It was beer on the deck, in a t-shirt, in Janurary. Good times.

Today back at it. 43/200 min done with a 1500 m swim this morning.

Edited by Jeakins 2015-01-27 9:06 AM
2015-01-27 9:53 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e

Hi everyone!

I would love to join if there is still space! I was reading through the previous posts and think this group sounds super supportive and positive!

NAME: Nicole

STORY: I have lived in Baltimore for...wow, almost 7 years now I think. Weird. I grew up as an athlete, which included swimming (elementary school) and track and XC (high school and college), along with a lot of team sports. Once I stopped running, I knew I had to find a way to stay in shape, and wanted to 'tri' I kept making excuses though of why I didn't have enough time to train and blah blah blah. Last year I finally decided it was now or never, and I started training for my first sprint tri (I was a middle distance runner who was forced to run XC in college, haha, so not much of a distance person). I competed in 2 sprints last year and am totally hooked!

FAMILY STATUS: I am 30 and single, but have the best cat ever (Raven...not named after the Ravens, although I am a big fan!)

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm getting back into the swing of things, although Disney World last week and Las Vegas this weekend are messing up my routine. I'm trying to build a good base through a weight class, a cycling class and swimming and running at least once a week. I will do more once my vacations are over!

2014 RACES: I competed in the Allatoona (GA) and Baltimore Tris, both sprints.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: I haven't actually planned which ones I will do this year, but I want to do at least 2 sprints. I would commit to more, but I have 4-5 weddings and don't know how many weekends I will actually have open.

BEER PREFERENCE: I do not like hoppy beers, so I am more of a light beer drinker (although I do HATE Coors light). I can usually find a good beer that I enjoy though, and love drinking with good people!

WEIGHT LOSS: I am up a bit higher than I would like to be. I want to drop 15 lbs, but my shorter term goal is 6-7 lbs.

Nicole - As a browns fan, I'm nervous about letting a potential Ravens fan into the group. But - as long as you never use the words Ar_ Mode__ - you're in!

Seriously - we are thrilled to have you! Nothing like triathlons to help you look good for those wedding dresses!

Thanks for being so accepting! I am a Ravens fan, but promise not to use any words that bring up bad memories. If it makes you feel any better, I have only been a Ravens fan for 7 years (since moving to Baltimore, I didn't have a team before then), so I had no part in anything that made Browns fans angry :-)

Excited to be here! I am trying to catch up on the messages since I was away in Vegas all weekend. I am happy to be home and really excited to get back into my workout routine. I hope everyone had a great weekend, and that everyone is staying safe and warm from the snow!
2015-01-27 10:14 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
I guess it's my turn to have sick kids....

So, no swimming today, as my son needed to stay home from preschool. My daughter seems to be getting his cold as well. I did get in my run last night. So....
40/200 for the week.

I will need to get creative this week. I'll go check out that core workout posted earlier...
2015-01-27 10:34 AM
in reply to: chayes

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by chayes

2 minutes plank! That's amazing!

Ha - I wish! I edited my post for clarity. They were done one minute at a stretch, with a rest in between for some calf exercises. I think I can manage 1:30, going to try that tonight.

This snowstorm is crazy here. We've definitely had more snow before, and more wind, but I can't remember the last time we had this much of both at the same time. It's only knee deep on the deck but it's been white-out for more than 12 hours now, and not going to stop for another 12 or so.

I got the wife to agree to share the bike trainer with me today so I'll get an actual bike workout in along with the PT stuff.
2015-01-27 11:41 AM

Wonder if I can join this group?

Background

Did first Sprint Tri last June with my 21 year old son and finished near the end of the pack. Had a bet with my son that he would not beat me by more the 40 minutes and loser would buy a bottle of bourbon for the winner. Well good news is he beat me by only 38 minutes so he purchased me a nice bottle of Knob Creek.

Been running for 3 to 4 years, 5 k and 10 k lengths

Plan for this year include the same Sprint tri and same bet with my son.

Have 2 other sprint tris on the mental schedule, but have not signed up yet.

Taking an advanced swim class on Tuesday nights, we average 1500 yards and swim at least 2 other times per week.

I have been taking spin classes 2 times per week

No much running being done at this time.

I do like Beer it is a great thing, I really do not have any brand loyalities but have been liking the rash of IPA from various small breweries in the nation. Some I like better than others.

2015-01-27 12:19 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by kevinbe

Mark, that is outstanding. 25K trail runs are no laughing matter. Nice work.

My total distance ended up being 16.35 miles, just a bit longer than 25k by 1.3k and boy did I feel that extra distance! The soreness finally hit me this morning, my legs are killing me. In June they are putting on a run in Santa Cruz and I'm debating between the HM and 30k distance... what's an extra 5 miles between friends on a trail?

2015-01-27 1:00 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Katy, TX
Alright so last week I got to 3/5 so I will be doing the CLP, just as soon as I can. Actually "ran" for the first time post foot surgery last fall on Sunday, and it felt pretty good...thanks is large part to the motivation from this group and knowing everyone is holding each other accountable.

Just finished 1400 in the pool, but I think I ruined it by eating lunch at Raisin' Canes (thats a chicken finger restaurant for the uninitiated) directly afterwards.

So 45 minutes down, 155 to go.

-Ryan
2015-01-27 1:24 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

My Brag: At the start of the month, I was struggling to eat right and get my workouts in. My PT/coach challenged me to workout for 21 days straight and to eat better. This morning's swim marked the 21st straight day of working out but I'm hoping to keep the streak going until Wednesday. I'm eating better and have lost 14 pounds since Christmas. Thanks for the support!

DQ

That is amazing, nice work! I might try a similar challenge now that I am back from vacations. Did you have some days that were more of a stretch/recovery day?
2015-01-27 2:38 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Just pulled the trigger and registered for my first race of the season...super sprint five days after I get back from Egypt in April. This is my brag for the month. I never sign up early for races because I always worry I won't be ready. I wait until the last possible moment to register so if I'm not ready I don't register. Not this year!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54117 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.